PDA

View Full Version : First Circuit Race

Tifosi24
06-04-06, 11:35 PM
This was the first circuit race that I attended in person, and I have to say it was a pretty good weekend. The race was good considering there were only 13 cars after the second lap, but considering we had T4 seats we got to see all the action, so I won't complain. Fabio was the man of the race as he wasn't afraid to race with anyone. Eventhough it was pit strategy, Legge did a good job while leading and was able to dice with Wilson for a few laps before being overtaken. Bourdais was unreal, you go down a lap early on with a puncture and then manage to lap the entire field by about lap 130. The failure to announce a timed race was a mistake, because there were a lot of non-open wheel fans in my section and they were confused. They weren't really angry, but just confused. I think they enjoyed the race, but were definately expecting the race to go 225 laps.

The Star Mazada race on Saturday was a pleasant surprise as I was expecting a crash fest considering those guys rarely race ovals. Of the three incidents, they were all single car affairs and only two made contact with the wall. There were some quality racers in that event. I was actually surprised with the turnout for the main event. They didn't pack them in, but the terrace sections were probably 40-50% full, which isn't too shabby. The 16 car field was a disappointment and is another indication that a merger needs to happen four years ago. The formula produces good racing and I think fans will come back to the series. This was the first race for my fiancee, who does not follow racing at all, and she had a lot of fun. In fact she is using the word Champ Car, I think someone should write that down because it might be one of only three confirmed cases in recorded history. The timed race thing is something they need to work on, and if they had gone without one of the "debris" cautions they could have gotten the full race distance in.

nrc
06-04-06, 11:42 PM
Yep, it was kind of stupid. They wasted a bunch of time shuffling the field under yellow - supposedly for the benefit of the fans - but ended up with a timed race which is one thing almost all fans hate.

RTKar
06-05-06, 07:54 AM
Yep, it was kind of stupid. They wasted a bunch of time shuffling the field under yellow - supposedly for the benefit of the fans - but ended up with a timed race which is one thing almost all fans hate.

especially those in attendance who were more casual and were their only out of curiousity...not a good way to rebuild attendance for this race.

tllips
06-05-06, 09:04 AM
In both "debris" yellows, they went about 5 or six laps of caution before they brought out the blowers. WTF? I never saw a track worker get out of the truck and pick anything up during either caution period. Why not fire up the blower as soon as the caution flies and get it on the track? This is the SOLE reason the race could not even get to 200 laps.

Remember when they lengthened the race to 225, to force an extra pit stop so teams would not do fuel saving runs? Now we can't even get to 200! :flame: