PDA

View Full Version : On this day...62 years ago...

TrueBrit
06-04-06, 09:40 AM
Many thousands of brave young men gave their lives in order to rid the world of a murderous, evil menace.

You are not forgotten, and your courage is honoured by all of us who get to live with the freedoms paid for by your sacrifice.

Rest in peace all you heroes, and thank you for doing what had to be done regardless of the cost.

Lux Interior
06-04-06, 10:25 AM
Isn't d-day June 6th? I'm very sure that it is.

Still, let us not forget. My dad and uncle both fought in WW2. In fact, I have a german bayonet in the matching sleeve and everything. My dad got it in the war and gave it to me.

Napoleon
06-04-06, 11:47 AM
In fact, I have a german bayonet in the matching sleeve and everything. My dad got it in the war and gave it to me.

An uncle of mine had Goering's stamp collection (he was in the party that arrested him after the war) and sold it to pay for medical school.

God bless all those who participated.

TrueBrit
06-04-06, 10:00 PM
Isn't d-day June 6th? I'm very sure that it is.

Still, let us not forget. My dad and uncle both fought in WW2. In fact, I have a german bayonet in the matching sleeve and everything. My dad got it in the war and gave it to me.

Yup you are correct... :o

devilmaster
06-04-06, 10:12 PM
Yup you are correct... :o

But......

The men piled onto the ships today. They were to go tonite but the weather was too bad, forcing them to ride out the storm for 24 hours..... The attack began on the 6th, but for many of the men, they were on the boats now.....

"Bercent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone"

chop456
06-06-06, 02:57 AM
XM channel 4 is broadcasting CBS news reports from 6/6/44 all day today, mixed in with their regular 40's music.

devilmaster
06-06-06, 05:11 AM
[rant on]

So i've read this a few places and heard about it too...... That today is the 6th day of the 6th month of the year 2006..... 6 - 6 - 6 some people say.

The devil's number...... ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh.

Are these people effin morons?!?

First off, even in metric the date isn't 6/6/6. its 6/6/06, and the slashes were never in the devil's number in the first place.

Second, it has always been debated that the number 666 is actually the number of the beast... (although a kick ass song, but I digress).

But most importantly, its a sad sorry state of this society, that people will actually be more interested in a stupid ass, bulls**t, stretch reality to make it work, made up by humans, silly thing - and be more interested in it than the fact that 62 years ago today, many a soldier, regardless of their nationality, died in a battle waged to stop a maniac from wanting to control the world and killing millions to do it, and that we should be respecting and honouring those people today.

Sad. Utterly effin sad.
[rant off]

Lux Interior
06-06-06, 06:45 AM
I agree. Who gives a rats a$$ if it's 6/6/06. Today, I remember those that unselfishly gave their lives for freedom.

Wheel-Nut
06-06-06, 09:52 AM
Here is a link to personal accounts of D-Day.

http://www.normandy1944.info/content/soldiers.html

IlliniRacer
06-06-06, 10:44 AM
It's the one part of The War that my grandpa wouldn't tell us about. He'd tell us stories of severe frostbite and guys losing their toes in the Battle of Bulge, but when someone brought up D-Day, he just changed the subject.

Truly the greatest heroes this country has ever seen.

Don Quixote
06-06-06, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the link, good stuff. Truely the greatest generation.

Hard Driver
06-06-06, 12:38 PM
Infinite Gratitude to those hero's who died for the rest of us.

G.
06-06-06, 01:16 PM

There goes any free time I may have had for a while. Thanks for the link.

TravelGal
06-06-06, 09:22 PM
My allergies are kicking up and here I am crying at the gallantry and unselfconscious bravery of everyone who fought for the right on D Day. Thanks for posting the tributes. We should never forget.

EDwardo
06-11-06, 08:22 AM
Two hours after midnight on 28 April, 1944, D-day claimed 198 sailors and 551 soldiers, a total of 749, during a training exercise for the invasion.
" A few hours earlier, in daylight, assault forces of the U S 4th Infantry Division had gone ashore on Slapton Sands, a stretch of beach along the south coast of England that closely resembled a beach on the French coast of Normandy, code-named Utah, where a few weeks later U.S. troops were to storm ashore as part of history's largest and most portentous amphibious assault: D-Day
The assault at Slapton Sands was known as Exercise Tiger, one of several rehearsals conducted in preparation for the momentous invasion to come."
" Out of the darkness, nine swift German torpedo boats suddenly appeared. On routine patrol out of the French port of Cherbourg, the commanders had learned of heavy radio traffic in Lyme Bay. Ordered to investigate, they were amazed to see what they took to be a flotilla of eight destroyers. They hastened to attack.
German torpedoes hit three of the LSTs. One lost its stern but eventually limped into port. Another burst into flames, the fire fed by gasoline in the vehicles aboard. A third keeled over and sank within six minutes."

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq20-2.htm