PDA

View Full Version : Worth watching

Andrew Longman
06-03-06, 10:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm4Z-PuhPuk&search=1993%20new%20hampshire%20cart%20race

What short track open wheel racing used to be :D

emjaya
06-03-06, 09:20 PM
In 1993 I thought that CART was going to take over the world as the most popular open wheel racecar series.I really did.

They had everything from short ovals,street races,road courses and the "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" the Indy 500.A mix of all you could want in one season.

They had the reigning F1 WDC in Nigel Mansell,which was huge in the way of publicity for them,Two former F1 Champs in Fittipaldi and Andretti and a lot of young talented drivers like Paul Tacey and Jimmy Vasser.And drivers like Eddie Cheever.

I never was a big Mansell fan or a big CART fan,but when I saw the move he pulled at Surfers into the first corner,tyres smoking and squealing,I was hooked and followed his season intently.It helped that he was the biggest news in motor racing that year.

When I look at Champ car and IRL,all I can think of is how big it was then and how small it is now and what it could have been.

Lux Interior
06-03-06, 09:26 PM
As Edith and Archie used to sing on All in the Family:

Those - were - the - DAAAYS!

Insomniac
06-04-06, 04:44 PM
Things I noticed:

The sidepods were so much further back.
What a lineup to start. :)
Is that Derek Daly? What happened between now and then?
Good to see Paul Page always exaggerated "6 wide".
20% of the screen isn't covered with junk.

devilmaster
06-04-06, 06:04 PM
Those - were - the - DAAAYS!

AND YOU KNEW WHO YOU WERE THEEEscreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeechhhhh!!!!EEENNNNN!

:gomer:

oddlycalm
06-04-06, 08:37 PM
In 1993 I thought that CART was going to take over the world as the most popular open wheel racecar series.I really did. So did I, and we aren't alone partner. CART had the world by the tail and pissed it all away.

It's a text book example of how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. :gomer: You can have it all and be on top of the world but if there are enough bad decisions and enough missed opportunities it can all be gone in the blink of an eye.

oc

Insomniac
06-04-06, 09:30 PM
So did I, and we aren't alone partner. CART had the world by the tail and pissed it all away.

It's a text book example of how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. :gomer: You can have it all and be on top of the world but if there are enough bad decisions and enough missed opportunities it can all be gone in the blink of an eye.

oc

They were on top and everyone wanted the power and thought it was them that was the reason. And now...wow. Quite the downward spiral into bolivion (as Mike Tyson would say).

Lux Interior
06-05-06, 12:54 AM
AND YOU KNEW WHO YOU WERE THEEEscreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeechhhhh!!!!EEENNNNN!

:gomer:

GIRLS were GIRLS and MEN were MEN... :D

RTKar
06-05-06, 07:50 AM
In 1993 I thought that CART was going to take over the world as the most popular open wheel racecar series.I really did.

They had everything from short ovals,street races,road courses and the "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" the Indy 500.A mix of all you could want in one season.

Senna tested the Penske too don't forget...Bernie was certainly a concerned fellow and I believe nascar wouldn't have grown as much as it did had CART & IMS kept it's collective head on straight.

ChampcarShark
06-05-06, 11:09 AM
After that great year we all thought CART was going to be bigger than F1.

Now we wonder if open wheel can survive to the end of the season.

Wolverine
06-05-06, 01:11 PM
Life's hard, but it's even harder when you're stupid.

sadams
06-05-06, 01:24 PM
I was at that race. Excellent driving. What a long strange trip it's been.

Wheel-Nut
06-05-06, 02:00 PM
Things I noticed:

The sidepods were so much further back.
What a lineup to start. :)
Is that Derek Daly? What happened between now and then?
Good to see Paul Page always exaggerated "6 wide".
20% of the screen isn't covered with junk.

CART went public and the earl came to be known . . . .

spinner26
06-05-06, 02:10 PM
GIRLS were GIRLS and MEN were MEN... :D

And you could tel the difference between the two. :laugh: :saywhat:

Insomniac
06-06-06, 06:43 PM
CART went public and the earl came to be known . . . .

I meant to DD. He wasn't hyperventilating.