PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networking

Audi_A4
06-02-06, 05:55 PM
hey comptooter gurus :gomer:

I have a wireless wouter (d-link Di-524) .. have trouble getting signal at the back of my house, any ideas what to do to improve signal?

nissan gtp
06-02-06, 06:06 PM
sounds dumb, but try changing the orientation of the d-link ... turn the whole thing 45 degrees and see if there's a diff.

move to a more central location ?

put it up higher

nrc
06-02-06, 06:20 PM
Where is it now? Are there any obvious metal structures blocking it from the back of your house? For example, is it on the opposite side of your HVAC or some ducting?

Audi_A4
06-02-06, 06:24 PM
its on the outside wall of my house sitting on my file cabinet next to my laser mfp. house is not huge about 2500 sq. ft. the family room is the opposite end of the house. signal there is spotty at best.

Wabbit
06-02-06, 06:26 PM
As the signal goes through walls, it loses strength. You can try different places in the house to get your best signal.

racer2c
06-02-06, 10:07 PM
What are you connecting to your wireless router i.e. laptop with ingrated wireless, workstation with peripherial wireless card, laptop with PCMCIA wireless card?

I ask because they all vary greatly in their range. Integrated wireless usually has twice range of a PCMCIA wireless card and PCI wireless card in a workstation. You can get range extender. They run about $100 -$200.

Hard Driver
06-02-06, 10:22 PM
IS it 802.11 a, b or g.

802.11a has terrible range.

About the only thing you can do is try different antenna orientations or locations. Although changing locations may mean running a longer patch cable from your DSL or Cable modem.

pfc_m_drake
06-02-06, 11:09 PM
Just as a suggestion - the first thing I might try is sticking my wireless computer right next to the router (just a couple of feet away in the same room) and make sure that you've got good signal strength there (this helps eliminate possible defective hardware as the cause for the poor signal strenght).

Assuming that's good, you can then start 'walking' the computer progressively further and further from the router and watch the signal strength as you go. Obviously if you have a laptop this process is very easy, but it can be done with a desktop and an extension cord as well.

Finally, if you're using 802.11g, many routers are very sensitive to 2.4 GHz cordless phones - they can interfere with each other pretty bad. If you've got any cordless phones between the computer and router, that might be causing your poor signal strength.

Audi_A4
06-03-06, 09:19 AM
it is 802.11.6
get great signal on the 2nd floor of my house, even at the back in my bedroom which is above my family room.

Cam
06-03-06, 10:51 AM
it is 802.11.6
get great signal on the 2nd floor of my house, even at the back in my bedroom which is above my family room.

Could try this (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=325).