PDA

View Full Version : Cataracts

TedN
06-02-06, 02:56 PM
Had my annual visit with my optometrist this week and looks like it's finally time to get cataract surgery. I'm told the surgery is seldom problematic but I still have the willies thinking about someone operating on my eyes.

In addition to clearer vision, another positive by-product of surgery will be that the artifical replacement lenses will eliminate my need for glasses (had them almost all my life; far-sighted + astigmatism). Will only need specs for reading.

My excitement is somewhat tempered by concerns about the actual surgery.

Anyone gone through this procedure and willing to share their experiences?

Ted

devilmaster
06-02-06, 04:24 PM
I can't speak to the cataracts, but some of what you will face is similar to the lasik I had done back in 99.

I wasn't nervous at all going in to the procedure. But what they did for lasik back then was patch one eye, they pinned open the other eye - a little painful because you want to blink but can't. Then they put a device with a suction cup on the open eye. This device sliced the eye open. That was un-nerving because for a brief moment, you couldn't see anything. (they gave valiums for the surgery, happy to have them)

Once the corneal flap was opened, my vision went all blocky and foggy, like looking at life through a frosted pane of glass. I assume it may be similar for you - everything looks really foggy and blurry until the implant goes in, then possibly good eyesight right away.

After both my eyes were done, I walked out into the post-op waiting area, and could see across the room right away.

I think most people are surprised how nervous they get when going under the knife with their eyes. Like I said earlier, I wasn't nervous until AFTER the first eye was done. I knew there was one more eye to go.

There is pain and discomfort for a couple days (have someone drive you home from the surgery, and expect to be down the first day), along with anti-bio drops and painkiller drops, and I probably think you can't get your eyes wet for a few weeks.

Its tough, but more and more it is commonplace for these types of surgeries. Even if I lose my eyesight tomorrow, it was completely worth it having the surgery done. For the first few weeks I marveled at a world I was seeing differently from the way I knew it.

Good luck Ted. :thumbup:

nissan gtp
06-02-06, 05:26 PM
I did LAsik a couple of years ago. No pain, just kinda disconcerting as dm said. Not being able to blink (even if you can't feel anything) is pretty weird. For about a minute I felt like Marcus Grondholm.

MY Dad has done the cateract thing --- I think it takes a bit more anesthetic (not really sure), but he came through fine and can see A LOT better now.

Good luck, should go fine ! :thumbup:

you -> :cool:

not you -> :rolleyes:

really not you -> :saywhat: