PDA

View Full Version : Fun at WAtkins GLend

SurfaceUnits
06-01-06, 10:08 PM
Not!!! Anybody heard about this yet?

Seems that there are two problems with the IRL/GA weekend.

Colin Braun cant race the DP for Krohn's DP team, because the deal between the IRL and ISC, states that nobody under 18 can race on the same track during an IRL race weekend. (No matter what race series it is) The Tobacco deal with Penske is also a problem for the 17 year old DP racer.

ISC already took his entry fee earlier this season, for this race, and approved it, and now that they are at the track, he is not being allowed to compete.

Colin also lost a points lead at Homestead for this same deal (had to sit out)

Krohn filed lawsuit vs. ISC and WG today, and henceforth, there are no practices for the DP cars, and there is talk of the race being cancelled outright.

New Topics
gomers everywhere are pissing their pannies in glee thinking that ftg fooled KK again with mergification talks.

Opposite Lock
06-01-06, 10:22 PM
:eek:

Brickman
06-01-06, 10:29 PM
We've been down this road before.

"Last fall, Busch was barred from running the season finale at California Speedway. The race was held in conjunction with a Marlboro-sponsored CART event and that sanctioning body said a 16-year-old competitor would violate the Master Settlement Agreement the tobacco industry reached with various state governments."

Unfortunately Kyle kept getting older.

Fio1
06-02-06, 01:24 AM
This is so stupid, it isn't even funny! Sometimes it blows me away how hypocrite this country’s government can be. This kid isn’t even racing in the same race as the Marlboro sponsored car, so what is the issue? At that rationale, if I showed up to a Grand-Am race wearing a Marlboro or Camel hat, could that kid be allowed to race in that race? What if I was a Marlboro or Camel sponsored athlete and had to wear a logo on my hat when I was in public as part of my sponsorship contract? Then I am being paid to advertise the brand and happen to be at the event…I think that would be the exact same thing. I’m sure some lawyer could argue that fact. Kind of stupid, isn’t it? :saywhat:

Gnam
06-02-06, 01:29 AM
Doesn't anyone lie about their age these days? Get a fake ID and go race.

Fio1
06-02-06, 01:33 AM
One key note to make this even more ironic! Colin Braun races in the Crown Royal Series! Yes folks, it is ok for a 17-year-old to race in a series sponsored by an alcohol company, with Crown Royal on his driving suit (all drivers must have a small Grand-am Crown Royal badge) but not compete during the SAME weekend as a cigarette sponsored car? :rolleyes: :shakehead :laugh:

Legal smoking age: 18
Legal drinking age: 21

I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life!

chop456
06-02-06, 01:59 AM
Who cares?

Those two series deserve each other.

Lux Interior
06-02-06, 06:17 AM
Who cares?

Those two series deserve each other.

Well put. NASCAR and their little road racing series, and their stooge the IRL, can wallow away in obscurity where they belong.

TKGAngel
06-02-06, 08:18 AM
We've been down this road before.

"Last fall, Busch was barred from running the season finale at California Speedway. The race was held in conjunction with a Marlboro-sponsored CART event and that sanctioning body said a 16-year-old competitor would violate the Master Settlement Agreement the tobacco industry reached with various state governments."

Unfortunately Kyle kept getting older.

But apparently Kyle hasn't gotten any smarter. He was just fined $50,000 and placed on probation for throwing his HANS device at Casey Mears, and ignoring a NASCAR Official while doing so.

One key note to make this even more ironic! Colin Braun races in the Crown Royal Series! Yes folks, it is ok for a 17-year-old to race in a series sponsored by an alcohol company, with Crown Royal on his driving suit (all drivers must have a small Grand-am Crown Royal badge) but not compete during the SAME weekend as a cigarette sponsored car?

Fio, are you sure Colin Braun's Grand Am badge actually references Crown Royal? Just curious, since on the NASCAR side, if an underage driver wins the Bud Pole Award, the sticker for his car just says "pole winner," with no reference to Bud.

FCYTravis
06-02-06, 08:35 AM
It's a pretty big fiasco. Basically, everything at this point is up to Da Judge.

If a judge overturns the injunction held by Krohn Racing this morning, everything goes on as scheduled, sans Colin Braun. If the injunction is upheld, then we might end up racing on Monday :flame: :thumdown:

However, the general feeling in the paddock is that Krohn doesn't want to make enemies out of every other Grand-Am team owner (not that he hasn't already done that by filing the lawsuit and having the first day of practice cancelled...) and will back down before a Monday race becomes necessary.

It's a bunch of political grandstanding which has turned into an ugly mess and again, the fans are the losers :saywhat: :shakehead

extramundane
06-02-06, 09:04 AM
If a judge overturns the injunction held by Krohn Racing this morning, everything goes on as scheduled, sans Colin Braun. If the injunction is upheld, then we might end up racing on Monday :flame: :thumdown:

I believe Krohn, Jonsson & Bergmeister are supposed to be in France on Monday, so I would think TK would do whatever it takes to not delay the race.

Then again, we're talking about guys with more money than I can comprehend, so who knows.

SteveH
06-02-06, 09:48 AM
It's a pretty big fiasco. Basically, everything at this point is up to Da Judge.

However, the general feeling in the paddock is that Krohn doesn't want to make enemies out of every other Grand-Am team owner (not that he hasn't already done that by filing the lawsuit and having the first day of practice cancelled...) and will back down before a Monday race becomes necessary.

It's a bunch of political grandstanding which has turned into an ugly mess and again, the fans are the losers :saywhat: :shakehead

Travis, since this came up at Homestead and the driver sat the race out, why wasn't this anticipated for the Glen? Or was it and since nothing was done the team's now playing hardball?

Stu
06-02-06, 09:54 AM
Well put. NASCAR and their little road racing series, and their stooge the IRL, can wallow away in obscurity where they belong.

Thats :rofl: considering its coming from a champ car fan. I don't think we have any right to talk about a racing series "wallowing in obscurity".

extramundane
06-02-06, 10:00 AM
Travis, since this came up at Homestead and the driver sat the race out, why wasn't this anticipated for the Glen? Or was it and since nothing was done the team's now playing hardball?

Supposedly Krohn started proceedings quite some time ago, but it wasn't until this week that the decision came down.

extramundane
06-02-06, 10:01 AM
Thats :rofl: considering its coming from a champ car fan. I don't think we have any right to talk about a racing series "wallowing in obscurity".

5! :flame:

:rofl:

Easy
06-02-06, 10:07 AM
If it does go to Monday, all the teams should invoice Krohn for the added expenses. What a horse **** way to handle the situation.

Fio1
06-02-06, 10:57 AM
If it does go to Monday, all the teams should invoice Krohn for the added expenses. What a horse **** way to handle the situation.

Why? He's trying to change the stupid rule and filed months ago. It's not his fault the law are stupid and the courts take for ever....

Stu
06-02-06, 11:02 AM
Why? He's trying to change the stupid rule and filed months ago. It's not his fault the law are stupid and the courts take for ever....

you just don't understand that this kid is trying to drive in something partially related to smoking.

don't you realize millions of young teens are going to take up smoking if he gets his way!!!!!!!1!!!!one!!!!!

pchall
06-02-06, 11:09 AM
don't you realize millions of young teens are going to take up smoking if he gets his way!!!!!!!1!!!!one!!!!!

Worse yet, millions of smoking pre-teens are going to want to drink and drive.

:gomer:

Spicoli
06-02-06, 11:25 AM

Aren't you supposed to be on a diet?

Andrew Longman
06-02-06, 12:04 PM
Given TGs comments after the USGP about how it showed the importance of controlling his series, I wonder how he feels about this. One of his race weekends gets screwed up because of a deal he made with his buddies at ISC.

OTOH, as stupid as the rule is, it was known, it was not new, and it appears totally legal. Why the owner thinks he can push the issue is not clear to me.

Yet more reason that, while CCWS could use more sponsorship, I'm happy it no longer has any tobacco sponsorship.

Stu
06-02-06, 12:12 PM
Aren't you supposed to be on a diet?

:rofl: burns a lot of calories.

devilmaster
06-02-06, 12:42 PM
I stopped smoking when they got rid of joe cool.

I apparently listened to a cartoon character telling me it was fun to smoke.....

:gomer:

Easy
06-02-06, 12:56 PM

I thought they filed to block the race. Even still, he should back down and allow the race to go off on time. I'd be extremely pissed off if I dragged a 53 foot transporter and 20 crew guys to upsate NY to sit around for three days because a competitor is unhappy with a pre-existing rule (no matter how pointless that rule is).

FCYTravis
06-02-06, 01:05 PM
There's supposed to be a press release from Grand-Am shortly, and the teams have been told to prepare for opening practice in 10 minutes. The officials are on the grid and the cars are being pushed to the pit lane. More as it breaks...

Spicoli
06-02-06, 01:15 PM
There's supposed to be a press release from Grand-Am shortly, and the teams have been told to prepare for opening practice in 10 minutes. The officials are on the grid and the cars are being pushed to the pit lane. More as it breaks...

we're standing by Francis.

http://i.cnn.net/v5cache/TCM/Images/Dynamic/i28/AfterOfficeHours_FF_300x225_101520041128.gif

G.
06-02-06, 02:00 PM
Boris Said substitute driver.

FCYTravis
06-02-06, 02:08 PM
The race will proceed as planned - Krohn dropped his suit. We'll practice tonight and go racing as scheduled from 2:30 to 8:30 tomorrow afternoon. :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
06-02-06, 02:24 PM
Was the owners point that the ISC/IRL agreement not to allow anyone under 18 to participate in the weekend (which I believe goes beyond the tobacco settlement) violates the agreement ISC has with GA or that GA has with their teams? In other words GA agreed to let the kid participate in the series then turned around and entered into an agreement that in effect keeps him from participating.

Or was he just being a jerk?

extramundane
06-02-06, 02:38 PM
Was the owners point that the ISC/IRL agreement not to allow anyone under 18 to participate in the weekend (which I believe goes beyond the tobacco settlement) violates the agreement ISC has with GA or that GA has with their teams? In other words GA agreed to let the kid participate in the series then turned around and entered into an agreement that in effect keeps him from participating.

Or was he just being a jerk?

Two of the (many) issues at hand were GA having accepted the team's entry (& entry fee) with Braun's name attached, and the fact that a court had legally emancipated Braun, effectively making him an 18 year old. His argument seems to have been: since Braun is "legally" 18 years old, how can the tobacco rule apply to him, and if it did, why did GA accept the entry in the first place?

Tracy Krohn may drive like a jerk, but I think he had only the best intentions in this case. Whether he handled it in the best manner is open for debate, but he could have made things a lot uglier.

chop456
06-02-06, 02:59 PM
the fans are the losers

You can say that again. :gomer:

Hot Rod Otis
06-02-06, 11:03 PM
... and again, the fans are the losers

Grand-Am has fans??? :p

extramundane
06-03-06, 11:23 PM
So the car in which Braun should have raced wins. Gentlemen, start your conspiracy theories.

BTW, Nice showing for your boys, Travis. Here's hoping you snag one before too long (especially if it means Ganassi comes 2nd)!

FCYTravis
06-04-06, 10:33 AM
The conspiracy theory gets better:

The winning Krohn car failed tech - its front splitter was 1/4 inch too low. The penalty? A $2,000 fine. They keep the win, they keep the points and they keep the purse. :eek:

Thanks, extramundane. I hope a few Champ Car teams were watching and saw what they're missing in Jon's performance. Fogarty was an absolute rainmeister - at one point he was lapping the 3.4 mile circuit six seconds quicker than anyone else on track. Unparalleled dominance, and if the rains had kept falling a little longer we'd be on top of the podium.

Always lots of what-ifs in racing, but we've found something that works - the right drivers, the right crew, the right chassis and the right engine. Here's hoping we keep it up.

Eagle104
06-04-06, 12:01 PM
:thumbup:
Congrats from here, too, Travis. Fogarty was a real treat to see in the rain, and I was very happy seeing Alex hold on to the position at the end.

Good going. Really anxious to see youse guys finally break-thru.

Keep it going....

NismoZ
06-04-06, 01:43 PM
I too much enjoyed and appreciated the performance of the #99, Fogarty and Gurney. Till made it sound like Angelelli was going to eat them up after that last restart. Not so!