PDA

View Full Version : Norton Un-Install

TedN
06-01-06, 10:06 AM
I am running Win98 on a PIII system. My current subscription to Norton Anti-Virus 2004 expires shortly. Am trying to save some money and considering the following options:
1.) F-Secure which is free from my ISP/Cable TV supplier
2.) AVG (free version)

I have heard that un-installing Norton can be fraught with potential problems and horror stories as it doesn't remove cleanly.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks ... Ted

KLang
06-01-06, 10:16 AM
Win98? Wouldn't that be considered and antique? :)

Edit: Can't recall trying to remove Norton but I did one time try to remove Dr. Soloman from Win98. Never did get rid of it. :(

racer2c
06-01-06, 10:37 AM
Installing Norton is what causes the porblems. ;) Uninstalling should be fine. I would look at their website to see their uninstall instructions and if they have a utility to clean your registry.

Cam
06-01-06, 11:37 AM
I have not had any problems lately, and I have removed it from a few new machines that came with the "Norton security trial package" preinstalled. :rolleyes: The one thing about Nortons' uninstall is that it does at least report what it left behind. You can then manually go and clobber the remnants.

rosawendel
06-01-06, 11:41 AM
every few months or so, you can get just about every norton product free (after rebate). I usually get norton systemworks every year. check www.freeafterrebate.info (http://www.freeafterrebate.info) every now & again, and you'll usually find it eventually.
The rebates usually require you to send in proof of previous ownership, which can be a copy of the cd or the title page from the previous version.

oddlycalm
06-01-06, 02:32 PM
In my view the problem with the current Norton security products isn't the money spent, which as rosawendel pointed out can be gotten around by using the free upgrade rebates, but the fact that they have made the recent versions so heavy handed and intrusive. I got rid of Norton on my business system and got a Mac G5 for the personal system. If I didn't have a database that had to run under MS SQL I'd ditch the PC for business as well and never look back.

oc

rosawendel
06-01-06, 02:44 PM
I got rid of Norton on my business system and got a Mac G5 for the personal system. If I didn't have a database that had to run under MS SQL I'd ditch the PC for business as well and never look back.

oc

i started out on a mac (the quadra 660av was my first home machine... 4 grand for a 250 meg hard drive and a 14 inch monitor, if i recall correctly), and had to change when autodesk (autocad) stopped supporting the mac (sometime around release 11, i think). if autocad were still available for the mac, i never would have left.

Al Czervik
06-01-06, 03:39 PM
You'll need to do a 'regedit' to completely get rid of NAV. Effin program is almost as bad as having a virus, IMHO.

Don Quixote
06-01-06, 04:54 PM
Not to pile on or anything, but I bet 80% of the computer problems in my office are due to Norton. Its the first place we look anytime something is acting up.

Kiwifan
06-01-06, 05:14 PM
Pulled it in 2003 and went to Zone Alarm Security Suite. I do go to some rather dodgy sites in the course of general surfing and ZA coupled with Spywareblaster (free), Spywareguard, (free) Pest Patrol and Trojanhunter (both paid) have kept me clear and clean ever since. Oh that and safe hex of course! :)

Rusty.

CART License
06-02-06, 02:06 AM
Stay away from anything ending in "Security Suite" all hog's