Michaelhatesfans
06-01-06, 09:41 AM
I know you'll do the right thing. :cool:
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/poll/index.html?poll_id=1188

KLang
06-01-06, 09:44 AM
Bad link or bad poll?

System error

error: Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at /usr/local/bizj/htdocs/common/poll/index.html line 94.

context: ...
90:
91: my $show_results;
92: if ($poll) {
93: $show_results = $poll->display_results;
94: my $uin = Apache::Cookie->fetch->{U}->value;
95: my $has_cookie = $poll->has_poll_cookie({ poll_id => $poll_id });
96: if( $ENV{REQUEST_METHOD} eq 'POST' && !$has_cookie && $uin) {
97: my $questions = $poll->questions;
98: foreach my $question_id ( @{$poll->question_order} ){

code stack: /usr/local/bizj/htdocs/common/poll/index.html:94

raw error

Michaelhatesfans
06-01-06, 10:35 AM
Ok, we'll do it this way. Center, near the top of the page.
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/

KLang
06-01-06, 10:47 AM
I did the 'right thing'. :)

How close to the track do the people complaining live?

Ankf00
06-01-06, 11:20 AM
how old is the track? how old is the development?

if it's anything like Love Field here, they can STFU, local residents are whining about Southwest's lobbying to open Love Field to national air traffic, what did you expect when you moved in NEXT TO AN AIRPORT?!?!

Spicoli
06-01-06, 11:32 AM
92% no
6% *******s.

:)

dando
06-01-06, 11:44 AM
Bad link or bad poll?
MHF's linkage is good. The boardware is munging the URL. I've seen this happen before. Oddly, IIRC, it involved a link posted by MHF (and no gin was involved). ;)

I think the poll is missing a choice: **** 'em. :)

-Kevin

Opposite Lock
06-01-06, 11:53 AM
I think the poll is missing a choice: **** 'em. :)

If they get around to publishing the reader comments, I made a point of saying just that. Except I said "screw". :)

Andrew Longman
06-01-06, 12:50 PM
Sad, old and repeated story.

Property values next to track rise. Rich, influencial people move it. They complain. Eventually land values rise enough that track owner decides to quit dealing with the lawsuits and such and sells to devleopers. Rich folks win.

Trenton, Langhorne, East Windsor, Flemington, Nazareth...

dando
06-01-06, 12:52 PM
Riverside...

:(

-Kevin

Michaelhatesfans
06-01-06, 01:02 PM

Property values next to track rise. Rich, influencial people move it. They complain. Eventually land values rise enough that track owner decides to quit dealing with the lawsuits and such and sells to devleopers. Rich folks win.

This will be interesting. PIR is a city park, sitting on wetlands in the middle of a flood plain. I don't know that they could build something else there even if they wanted to. The only reason the track is there now is that a flood washed away the town that used to be there.

Lux Interior
06-01-06, 01:42 PM
Well, its like 93 percent no and only 5 percent yes. That is amazing - I dont think I have ever seen a pole more lopsided. Of course, CART/CC has been going there for a long time, so I am not surprised.

KLang
06-01-06, 01:49 PM
Well, its like 93 percent no and only 5 percent yes. That is amazing - I dont think I have ever seen a pole more lopsided. Of course, CART/CC has been going there for a long time, so I am not surprised.

I suspect most of the votes are from here and crapwagon. :p

Dr. Corkski
06-01-06, 01:56 PM
Beach volleyball is big in Portland.

Sean O'Gorman
06-01-06, 03:34 PM
If this insurance adjuster thing doesn't work out (its going great so far), my next career step is to move out to Portland. If the race track goes away, I'll scratch that city from my list. Stupid NIMBYs, you have a race track in a suburban area, use it!!!

oddlycalm
06-02-06, 04:50 PM
how old is the track? how old is the development? The official version: Portland International Raceway is built on the former location of the World War II city of Vanport, which was wiped out by a 1948 flood. The Army Corps of Engineers sold the site to the City of Portland in 1960 and in 1961 the first Rose Cup races were held.

The areas of North Portland that get the noise are all older and pre-date the track development. The issue is aggravated by the fact that the neighborhoods most directly effected, like Kenton, sit on a bluff overlooking the track. There are only two weekends a year when cars that exceed the noise limits are allowed to compete as I recall. Drag racing was ended around a decade ago and now the neighboring Portland Speedway is also gone, so the noise issue has gone from an every weekend thing to a two weekend per season situation.

Property values next to track rise. Rich, influential people move it. They complain. Eventually land values rise enough that track owner decides to quit dealing with the lawsuits and such and sells to devleopers. The track sits in a city park which is part of a wetland area that isn't going to be for sale. On the other hand, property values have increased dramatically and there is no doubt that the folks moving to neighborhoods like Kenton, University Park and St. Johns are in a much higher income bracket than the quickly vanishing blue collar residents they are replacing.

It's always nice to have 20/20 hindsight on decisions of previous decades, but things like moving interstate freeways over 10 blocks and moving race tracks are expensive fantasies with no funding. I don't see the city shutting the track down either, since they would both lose the revenue and be stuck with the bill for upkeep or removal as well as losing the economic benefit the businesses in the area which tend to speak loudly.

I'm hoping the spectre of Seattle International being upgraded to make it competitive with PIR will focus people the city on the fact that someone else would like to have their revenue source. While the races don't generate the revenue they used to the fact the facility is rented every day of the season makes it the same paying proposition as many other US road courses.

IMO PIR is not a great track, but it's the one we've got and one of a shrinking number of non-ISC natural road courses in North America.

oc

coolhand
06-02-06, 09:26 PM
Why would anyone cast and "undecided vote" in that poll? why not decide later then vote?