ENGLAND: ninjas & lasers & gold
Scotland: haggis & scotch eggs
Wales: sheep & dirt
Ireland: guinness and fighting

FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY!

eiregosod
06-01-06, 09:40 PM
Looking forward to this big time!

England already think that they have won the competition, we'll see.

Once the group matches are over that we should have a fiar idea who the serious contenders are. There are not even 5 countries who would be considered to be favourites. There'll be a few surprises that is for sure.

I wonder if this time around the African countries will make a really big impact and reach the semi-finals.

The Allianz arena looks incredible. Took the germans just 2 years to build it. (compare 6 years ofr Wembley stadium ;) )

Dr. Corkski
06-01-06, 10:49 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0501/travel_g_allianz02_740.jpg

w00t.Looks like the Hindenburg. :gomer:

racer2c
06-01-06, 10:58 PM
Looks like the Hindenburg. :gomer:

It's probably not PC to laugh, but that made me laugh out loud.

Ankf00
06-01-06, 10:59 PM
looks ****ing beautiful is what it looks like

RusH
06-01-06, 11:07 PM
I got the PM at BS Ankf00 :gomer:

The winning WC team.
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1957/equipotapa5no.jpg

:thumbup: :D

Ankf00
06-03-06, 02:12 PM
bah, Froza Azzurri!

rabbit
06-03-06, 10:33 PM
w00t.Don't you mean "w0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000t!" ?

http://www.n-philes.com/forums/images/smilies/th_SombreroSmilie3.gif :gomer:

Ankf00
06-03-06, 10:47 PM
^^^ :rofl:

so which one should I pick up? the WHITES?
http://www.kitbag.com/product_images/maxzoom/prd_maxzoom_103895-100-Reyna.jpg

or the retro send-off series ones?
http://images.ussoccer.com/Images/Gallery/136_317250_Johnson.jpg
http://images.ussoccer.com/Images/Gallery/136_317248_Donovan.jpg

Ankf00
06-05-06, 01:45 PM
SWEET!!!

32" TV set up right across the wall from me for the german & italian engineers on assignment here. We can only watch GER, ITI & USA matches, but it beats nothing... this alleviates what would've otherwise been a "lengthy lunch hour" problem :gomer:

ChampcarShark
06-07-06, 11:09 AM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/photo/2006/0501/travel_g_allianz02_740.jpg

w00t.

looks like a meatball subway sandwich to me...mmmmmm
(I must be hungry)

Two more days to the end of the world as we know it.

I am predicting Germany will be the winner this year. I do not think england or France have a chance.

Ankf00
06-08-06, 11:50 PM
http://www.ghacks.net/2006/06/06/how-to-view-the-football-worldcup-online/#more-542

so how do I do the proxy workaround listed in this article to make it look like I have a .uk IP with Internet Explorer?

This will be my workaround at work for the non GER/ITI/USA games :D

anait
06-09-06, 09:18 AM
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/footy/

ENGLAND: ninjas & lasers & gold
Scotland: haggis & scotch eggs
Wales: sheep & dirt
Ireland: guinness and fighting

FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY!

On the merits of that list, I pick Ireland. :thumbup: :D

Ankf00
06-09-06, 09:35 AM
like a ghost town at work today, pretty sure all the german's took the day off, the only italian I've seen is the senior mgr dude, and he's like 60...

sportin' the azzurri kit today :cool: forza italia :thumbup:

Insomniac
06-09-06, 10:46 AM
http://www.ghacks.net/2006/06/06/how-to-view-the-football-worldcup-online/#more-542

so how do I do the proxy workaround listed in this article to make it look like I have a .uk IP with Internet Explorer?

This will be my workaround at work for the non GER/ITI/USA games :D

This is how you set it up.

http://www.freeproxy.ru/en/free_proxy/howuse.htm

However, I couldn't find a proxy server. If anyone does, please post it.

RusH
06-09-06, 10:54 AM
This list changes often
http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

Ankf00
06-09-06, 02:50 PM
NO SPOILER, BUT SOME DETAILS BELOW

Frings == diving slut.

around 60 minutes in the diving was starting to piss me off, especially considering the clean start to match.

all in all, some fairly exciting scoring opportunities, and some absolutely fantastic goals.

Insomniac
06-09-06, 08:06 PM
NO SPOILER, BUT SOME DETAILS BELOW

Frings == diving slut.

around 60 minutes in the diving was starting to piss me off, especially considering the clean start to match.

all in all, some fairly exciting scoring opportunities, and some absolutely fantastic goals.

Those aren't dives, they're over dramatic falls after a foul. That's nothing new. And after his goal from 100' out, those are your thoughts?

Dr. Corkski
06-09-06, 08:20 PM
Frings is a cheating flamer.

Ankf00
06-10-06, 11:01 AM
F Frings. F England. And it's 1 hour until it's ZlatanTime. :cool:

And after his goal from 100' out, those are your thoughts?
actually, my thoughts after that goal are that the linesmen were instructed before the match: "if any of those amazonian butt monkies manages to beat the glorious backline of Ze Germans, raise the flag"

well that, and Allianz Arena is f'ing beautiful.

Ankf00
06-10-06, 11:57 AM
It's ZlatanTime, bish!

Ankf00
06-10-06, 05:29 PM
Spoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweden == chumps. if they don't figure out how to successfully link up to the strikers paraguay's going through. Zlatan still had a couple of impressive almosts. They'll have an even tougher time against Paraguay's back 4.

argentina vs. cote d'ivoire

best match of the tournament so far... too bad the linesman was asleep during that 2nd goal, Saviola was offsides and I think it was Crespo in the center of the box, he was really f'ing offsides :eek:

the africans were slashing through the box on their runs and creating chances like nothing else. and their speed!!! :eek: they really lived up to their hype, muy impressive. :thumbup: Group C is going to rock, can't wait for tomorrow's netherlands match

RusH
06-10-06, 05:46 PM
Spoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweden == chumps. if they don't figure out how to successfully link up to the strikers paraguay's going through. Zlatan still had a couple of impressive almosts. They'll have an even tougher time against Paraguay's back 4.

argentina vs. cote d'ivoire

best match of the tournament so far... too bad the linesman was asleep during that 2nd goal, Saviola was offsides and I think it was Crespo in the center of the box, he was really f'ing offsides :eek:

the africans were slashing through the box on their runs and creating chances like nothing else. and their speed!!! :eek: they really lived up to their hype, muy impressive. :thumbup: Group C is going to rock, can't wait for tomorrow's netherlands match

...you forgot to mention that the first goal for Argentina did not count because NOBODY was looking .......as the entire ball crossed the goal line.
But you are forgiven. :rolleyes:

Ankf00
06-10-06, 06:20 PM
that entire ball didn't cross imo. it was very close though

but the latin american diving & dirty tackling exhibition was entertaining :p

RusH
06-10-06, 06:31 PM
that entire ball didn't cross imo. it was very close though

but the latin american diving & dirty tackling exhibition was entertaining :p

Oh .....dood, you`ve been hanging in too many English pubs :gomer:

Ankf00
06-10-06, 06:34 PM
It was Irish actually, and hey, I just followed where all the Itali... I mean, Argentines went ;)

Ankf00
06-11-06, 09:38 AM
Arjen Robben >> all of eastern europe.

TrueBrit
06-11-06, 05:50 PM
Let's see....

Germans - Solid start, still v. dodgy on defense
Dutch - Played better than I expected
Sweden - Ummm, exactly HOW do you not beat T&T one man down?
Portugal- Again, solid, defense could do with some shoring up
Argentina - Not convincing in any fashion whatsoever
England - Did juuuuuuuuuust enough to get the three points. Will need to step up their game
Mexico - Good start but Iran kept them honest
Paraguay could test Sweden, especially if they play as hard as they did in the second half against England
Ecuador- could be the surprise in Group A - especially if Poland doesn't get their spit together
Ivory Coast - unlucky not to beat the Argie Bastards, more of the same against Holland and Serbia and they could be a contender
Angola just wouldn't go away...could make things interesting in that group...

Oh yeah, and I think the USA is playing tomorrow, not sure though, the announcers only mentioned it every 48 seconds during today's matches... :saywhat:

RusH
06-11-06, 06:05 PM
STFU limey :)

Ankf00
06-11-06, 06:44 PM
this is why I watch univision, 1. to get away from the aural-ambien that is Dave O'Brien's baseball style commentary and 2. to escape all the douchebaggery of abc coverage.

foudy needs to be shot w/ horse tranq and dumped in a field, very apropos, lalas & musberger dont help anything either.

Harkes & his partner were good, no explanations and no retarded made for USA analogies to Favre & Jordan & US sports. just simple commentary.

if anyone has XM, my friends are telling me their commentators are excellent thus far, so might want to try muting gringo-vision and play the XM in the background, don't know what hte lag difference is though...

Christian Ronaldo is just amazing in the air. I think Portugal takes the group, Iran gets the result against Angola, and Mexico finishes 2nd w/ their 3 pts from today.

Dr. Corkski
06-11-06, 06:53 PM
Christian Ronaldo is just amazing in the air.When he is diving? :gomer:

Insomniac
06-11-06, 06:56 PM
this is why I watch univision, 1. to get away from the aural-ambien that is Dave O'Brien's baseball style commentary and 2. to escape all the douchebaggery of abc coverage.

I'd watch it too if I had paid more attention to Spanish in school. Heck, if I could at least combine the ESPN/ABC audio with Univision video I would be happy. I could watch the game without the screen covered in junk. Not to mention the video quality destroys KAKE 10 (Wichita) on DirecTV. In fact, today, they joined the Iran game in the second half.

Ankf00
06-11-06, 07:31 PM
the spanish is so fast during the games I can't really keep up with what little Spanish I do know. but the vocal tempo & tone kept me awake, whereas when I had ABC on I was trying my hardest to stay awake.

Now if the announcers on ABC ever had anything insightful to say, or could even handle the most basic play by play, I'd watch. But as it is, I lose absolutely nothing by listening to the unintelligible spanish instead.

Marcelo Balboa == f'ing tard.

Insomniac
06-11-06, 09:09 PM
the spanish is so fast during the games I can't really keep up with what little Spanish I do know. but the vocal tempo & tone kept me awake, whereas when I had ABC on I was trying my hardest to stay awake.

Now if the announcers on ABC ever had anything insightful to say, or could even handle the most basic play by play, I'd watch. But as it is, I lose absolutely nothing by listening to the unintelligible spanish instead.

Marcelo Balboa == f'ing tard.

They definitely have some poor crews this time around. They are also dumbing it down and trying to relate soccer to other sports. I miss the days when they had insightful and intelligent announcers for the people who knew the sport, and left it to the audience to get explanations from watching more and figuring it out, or asking someone who knew. I've grown used to the way it is now and just don't pay as much attention. I know they suck, but the video and all the stuff they have on the screen, added to the other graphics they put up and block the video with bothers me much more.

eiregosod
06-12-06, 12:03 AM

The Meixcan commentators rule!!!!!

You should see the mandatory Budweiser advertsisments here. They're jam packed full of irony. think 2 NFL bubbas discussing a sport they never saw before :laugh: , nice comedy doesn't make wanna buy a bud-dire. I might splurge on the original bud-dire, "the Budvar". Cheers!!!!!

Insomniac
06-12-06, 09:05 AM

I think they're becoming a parody of themselves. I mean the whole GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL thing was funny, but yesterday, it was GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOAL! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL!

It was pretty bad. I mean it lasted about 30 seconds.

Ankf00
06-12-06, 10:07 AM

You should see the mandatory Budweiser advertsisments here. They're jam packed full of irony. think 2 NFL bubbas discussing a sport they never saw before :laugh: , nice comedy doesn't make wanna buy a bud-dire. I might splurge on the original bud-dire, "the Budvar". Cheers!!!!!
I think I've seen a similar ad here, on the spanish station. I wasn't really paying attention at the time mind you, but there were these 2 burly fellows sitting on a sofa, and both had on irish green NFL style jerseys, and they both acted clueless about whatever they were watching on TV, it was some beer commercial...

ChampcarShark
06-12-06, 10:09 AM
I think they're becoming a parody of themselves. I mean the whole GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL thing was funny, but yesterday, it was GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOAL! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL! GOAL!

It was pretty bad. I mean it lasted about 30 seconds.

You got to cheer your team, Futbol is a game of emotions so you got to let them out when someone scores, (which does not happen very often).

But I think the univision guys take it to extremes.

I could not bring a tv to work and would like to see the games on the net, any links?? Thanks

Ankf00
06-12-06, 11:07 AM
try this http://ascii-wm.net/

Ankf00
06-12-06, 11:23 AM
lineups announced:

Starting lineup:
..................Keller
Dolo..... Pope..... Onyewu..... Lewis
.............Reyna .. Mastro
Beasley........................... Convey
...................Donovan
...................McHead

they're going with:
----------------------Cech---------------------
Grygera--Rozehnal--Ujfalusi--Jankulovski
---------------Polak, Galasek----------------
---Poborsky-----Rosicky--------- Nedved
-------------------Koller-------------------

I think we're going for the draw, and if we go down a goal we'll bring in Dempsey for Beas certainly, maybe John O'Brien for Mastro, Eddie Johnson as a 2nd striker in that spot as well possibly, Ching's an option to replace McHead seeing as McHead's probably going to tire out going at it by himself.

they're calling it a 4-5-1 but LD's probably playing a withdrawn forward role, Lewis will push up the wing to feed the ball in for sure, reyna will link up to the forwards from the backline...

Nedved's going to be severely hassled by Beas, thankfully Petr's got oldman knees now so he's not as dangerous as he was 2-3 years ago. Rosicky's thigh fitness is a question, but his play with Poborsky will make a huge diff.

on our end Donovan playing with Convey will need to match that.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChampcarShark
06-12-06, 11:35 AM
try this http://ascii-wm.net/

Thanks, the it department has the run command disabled.

Ankf00
06-12-06, 11:42 AM
another option: http://reveiled.net/blog/

ChampcarShark
06-12-06, 11:44 AM

Man, guy guys, and gals are awesome.

This works for me thanks

Dr. Corkski
06-12-06, 12:49 PM
2-0 Czechs at the half.

The only thing worse than the US defense so far is the color guy on ESPN. :thumdown:

Ankf00
06-12-06, 12:49 PM
eddie lewis & steve cherundolo suck at life.

bobby convey's non existant, the CR backline is so tall it's useless to keep playing crosses in to the lone McHead.

need EJ in to make runs, Dempsey in as well for beas of convey, convey is a better finisher than beas but Beas has been working well on the short game with reyna, & landon & dolo out on the wing, JOB for mastro to orchestrate it all, and pull off eddie lewis b/c he's WORTHLESS on the backline.

Dr. Corkski
06-12-06, 12:56 PM
Oguchi Onyewu sucks.

3-0 final. Rosicky with 2 goals despite getting his name butchered all game.

Tifosi24
06-12-06, 01:50 PM
That was a terrible game for the US.

Ankf00
06-12-06, 01:51 PM
do we even HAVE a back line on the roster?

FCYTravis
06-12-06, 02:11 PM
We sux at fussball.

Insomniac
06-12-06, 03:12 PM
You got to cheer your team, Futbol is a game of emotions so you got to let them out when someone scores, (which does not happen very often).

But I think the univision guys take it to extremes.

I could not bring a tv to work and would like to see the games on the net, any links?? Thanks

That's what I mean by them parodying themselves. It seemed genuine before, but now it just seemed like they went on and on.

TrueBrit
06-12-06, 04:17 PM

Outta sight man!!!!

Ankf00
06-12-06, 05:26 PM
what I posted elsewhere...

it was such a pathetic effort in terms of heart and hustle. I don't know why Dempsey wasn't sub'ed in for Beasley, I was calling for it at the half, but Beasley was far from the worst performer out there.

BA deserves some blame fielding this team & the way the played, he is the manager after all. But the players deserve the brunt of it b/c of their worthless effort.

Reyna I think was the best performer, at least he tried to get something going, he doesn't have to be the most mobile guy, it's everyone in front of him taht needed to make runs off the ball and try to make things happen. I think Reyna turned his back on Rosicky's bomb though, that pissed me off, but that's Gooch's fault on the s***** clearance

Beasley was usually bad w/ the ball, his touch was atrocious. We knew this going in though, we needed his D and his speed, which came in handy to make up for the worthless backline a couple of times. But when no one was trying to make anything happen other than Reyna, Beasley tried to pick it up and go on a run a few times, albeit his worthlessness on the attack hampered that.

what did convey do? for all this talk about his form w/ Reading, wtf did he do at all?

mchead needs service, he got no service, convey laid up a couple of poor crosses, but mchead was never going to win the aerial battle with that huge back line. mchead didn't show up when johnson was showing his stuff though either so mchead's not absolved of all blame.

landon showed absolutely no hustle most of the time, he tried to make it happen a few times, but the middle was so congested, wtf was he going to do?

we were never going to out-skill a euro team, especially the czechs, and omg their touch was amazing...

I was hoping to show some heart and put one or 2 in the net, however.

JOB needs to ride pine, Dempsey needs to start next game b/c we need the offense & most of all the heart & hustle.

EJ & McHead up top

I think London, Reyna, Beasley compliment the midfield, Beas on the right provides cover for the worthless Lewis if we're going to stick w/ him as LB, Boca back there is more solid and would allow Convey in at LM, but he didn't show any semblence of hustle or heart, Convey should sub in for Beas on the left.

Reyna's old and slow, Landon has to provide the spark Reyna's knees cant anymore. Touching & trapping the ball 5 yards in front of you wont work with non MLS competition. LEARN TO HANDLE THE BALL!!!!

Quit dancing around and start running up field, force the issue!!!!!

EJ... thank god for him, at least there was heart shown by SOMEBODY out there.

Keller left out to dry 3 times by Gooch (and Lewis on the first one). That early yellow f'ed w/ his head.

Keller didn't distribute well but then again, no one could win a header so wtf was he supposed to do?

When high crosses weren't working and the middle was congested we needed to start making 1v1 runs from the outside, taking people on, forcing it in there and playing with some width. Beasley's horrible first touch & his lack of attacking which we knew about should've ditcated bringing things up the left more often since he couldn't bring it up on the outside w/ his right foot.

No one was trying to race to the byline, no one was trying to go on 1v1 runs, convey never had the patience to set up shop in the corner to let some support make it up into the box other than mchead, the couple of times he tried to take someone on he failed and then disappeared.

we're going to lose to Italia, I just hope we show the scrappiness & heart that used to bring us a lucky result every now and then. We need to bring back the speed & hustle that typifies our play, settling play & trying to show off your skills doesn't work when no one on the team has good first touch and there isn't a single striker who's a true finisher. not to mention the total lack of height/size up front

lineup:
------------mchead-------ej--------------
--beas/conv------ld---------dempsey------
--------------------reyna-----------------
lewis/boca-------------------------ghost#1
-----------statue #1--statue#2-----------
-------------------KK---------------------

4-5-1, wtf? playing for the tie? it would've been one thing if A-mids were setting up on top of the box for the cross or were willing to make runs at the fullbacks 1v1. lewis + convey on the left== NO COVER

http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gifhttp://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gifhttp://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gif

WickerBill
06-13-06, 07:33 PM
Brasil looked spotty at best.

France worse. How can you look that bad with that much superlative talent? What could Jose or Guus wring out of that squad?

eiregosod
06-13-06, 07:59 PM

France worse. How can you look that bad with that much superlative talent?

The France - Switzerland game was just like the 2 qualifying games played against each other, ttally un-nteresting. The French team is old, Zidane, Makelele & Viera have seen better days. Theirry henry was quiet. the sub they brought on was very lively, they might start him for the next game.

devilmaster
06-13-06, 08:00 PM

France worse. How can you look that bad with that much superlative talent? What could Jose or Guus wring out of that squad?

Hey! Who is this wik.....wickerbul........wickerbill guy??? ;)

Glad to see you back around boss. :thumbup:

Ankf00
06-13-06, 08:12 PM
brasil is not playing like the hands-down favorite, they gave up many opportunities, however they did have loads of opportunities of their own, they'll probably finish better as the tourney proceeds. france is indeed old but the other thing is that henry never has been his best for Les Bleus.

Italia's going to pick up some scalps this year. Forza Totti, Merda Catenaccio

Ankf00
06-13-06, 08:58 PM
BBC game commentary is the **** :D

"France have been very poor. If Ludovic Giuly, who is not even in the French squad, is not a better player than Sylvain Wiltord, then I'm a Dutchman. And Franck Ribery is just not up to it."

HALF-TIME An uninspiring first-half comes to an end - much to the relief of the neutrals.
^^ WWII allusion :D

59 mins: "They should take Ronaldo off and make him hungry to start the second game."
BBC Radio Five Live co-commentator Martin Jol

:laugh:

skaven
06-14-06, 01:11 AM

Give the Ustache some credit. :gomer:

As it looks like the USA might not go very far, I'm riding the Croatican bandwagon. :thumbup:

They just need to whup up on AUS and JAP.

dando
06-14-06, 10:13 AM
The Ukraine is weak!

</seinfeld>

:gomer:

-Kevin

dando
06-14-06, 10:24 AM
Hey! Who is this wik.....wickerbul........wickerbill guy??? ;)

IIRC, he was last seen stuffing bananas into the tailpipe of Mike Vanderjagt's ride. ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-14-06, 10:44 AM
USA vs. CZE garners 2.4 rating at 11am on a Monday on ESPN2 :gomer:

highest rated program on the network for the entire year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/specials/world_cup/2006/06/13/bc.soc.wcup.usratings.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- The United States' 3-0 loss to the Czech Republic was watched by 2.14 million households, the most to see a soccer game on ESPN2. Monday's match received a 2.4 cable rating, the network said Tuesday. It was the most-watched program on the network this year. At the 2002 tournament in South Korea, the Americans' 3-2 opening win over Portugal was watched by 998,000 households on ESPN2. The 2002 game began at 5 a.m. EDT, while Monday's game in Gelsenkirchen, Germany, started at noon EDT. In 1998, when the tournament was played in France, the Americans' opening 2-0 loss to Germany was broadcast by ABC and was watched by 3.33 million households in a game that began at 3 p.m. EDT. ESPN2's previous high audience for soccer was 1.62 million households for Argentina's 2-1 win over Ivory Coast on Saturday. ESPN2's households tuned in for the first weekend were up 197 percent from 2002.

Insomniac
06-14-06, 02:27 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/specials/world_cup/2006/06/13/bc.soc.wcup.usratings.ap/index.html

And it was during a business day! :thumbup:

dando
06-14-06, 02:29 PM
And it was during a business day! :thumbup:
During lunch and w/most schools out helped as well.

-Kevin

eiregosod
06-14-06, 03:04 PM

Why wasn't the game on network TV? I guess some people need to watch their infomercials.

dando
06-14-06, 03:08 PM
Why wasn't the game on network TV? I guess some people need to watch their infomercials.
Infomercials? Weekdays = soap operas in the afternoon. The ladies and Ank get testy when they can't watch General Hospital, etc. :)

-Kevin

TKGAngel
06-14-06, 03:21 PM
Infomercials? Weekdays = soap operas in the afternoon. The ladies and Ank get testy when they can't watch General Hospital, etc. :)

-Kevin

That problem could be alleviated with the Soapnet channel, which replays all of the ABC soaps that same night.

Those are still really great ratings for the Deuce.

Ankf00
06-14-06, 04:11 PM

The olympics are the only case that immediately comes to mind when sports are shown on broadcast TV during a weekday, there could be other cases but I can't think of any. But I think mostly NBC has been showing the daytime coverage from their 2 cable channels these past couple of olympics

Weekday playoff games for baseball & basketball are on cable or local TV for the most part until the later rounds, maybe a single game in primetime on a network in baseball's case, and even then if they're on broadcast TV they're at primetime not during the day. The daytime playoff games will be put on ESPN instead...

combine ESPN2 + Univision's ratings (keep in mind the thousands of gringos like myself who watch univision due to their lack of uber-doucheness exuded by The Mouse) and there's their 2.6 million average viewer total from fri-sun... so there's at least 2 million more who watched in the US

Ankf00
06-14-06, 04:15 PM
oh yea, Espania == golazo!!

DEFINITELY watch the replay on espn classic/U or telefutura tonight...

eiregosod
06-14-06, 04:19 PM
combine ESPN2 + Univision's ratings (keep in mind the thousands of gringos like myself who watch univision due to their lack of uber-doucheness exuded by The Mouse) and there's their 2.6 million average viewer total from fri-sun... so there's at least 2 million more who watched in the US

Univision is getting a lot of viewers. I believe that their commentary is a bit crazy :D Gooooooooooooooooooooool

dando
06-14-06, 04:38 PM
The olympics are the only case that immediately comes to mind when sports are shown on broadcast TV during a weekday, there could be other cases but I can't think of any. But I think mostly NBC has been showing the daytime coverage from their 2 cable channels these past couple of olympics

Tennis tourney semi finals are shown on broadcast teevee during the week. Preliminary rounds are never shown on network teevee during the week. Neither is the US Open (golf), etc.

-Kevin

Racing Truth
06-14-06, 05:25 PM
Tennis tourney semi finals are shown on broadcast teevee during the week. Preliminary rounds are never shown on network teevee during the week. Neither is the US Open (golf), etc.

-Kevin

Wrong about the US Open, sorta. NBC will have 2 hrs. live on Thur. and Fri.

Ankf00
06-14-06, 05:34 PM
that's gotta be really recent , all these years it was on USA network or whatever, always needed to have cable...

Racing Truth
06-14-06, 05:47 PM
that's gotta be really recent , all these years it was on USA network or whatever, always needed to have cable...

Last 3 or so yrs. ESPN has 7 hrs. per day on those days, along with NBC's midday 2 hrs.

The Masters, OTOH... Hootie and the boys have an aversion to TV. :gomer:

dando
06-14-06, 08:22 PM
Wrong about the US Open, sorta. NBC will have 2 hrs. live on Thur. and Fri.
OK, but the majority of the broadcast will be on ESPN starting @ 10. The 3-5 timeslots are generally open for local syndication shows, and not network broadcasts. Point is that very few sporting events are shown on the networks during the week. Generally the target audience isn't watching then. Even the NASCAB rainout a few weeks ago was shown on only some Fox affiliates. The rest caught it on FX.

-Kevin

Ankf00
06-14-06, 08:45 PM
the Ghastly Ordeal of Andrei Schevchenko is currently featuring on Telefutura :)

Ankf00
06-15-06, 12:16 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fblwc2006gpeusaita&prov=afp&type=lgns

The boys are staying at Rammstein in Kaiserslautern until Saturday's match, maybe they'll figure out what it says on the front of their shirts and start playing like it :saywhat:

Hopefully there'll be a far more vocal US contingent than was in Gelsenkirchen too...

Insomniac
06-15-06, 09:20 AM

Simply, ratings. Soccer is not big enough here. And if the US keeps playing like that, it won't be any bigger come 2010.

Ankf00
06-15-06, 11:34 AM
funny :D

France: "What? We don't want any part of this. We give up!" :cry:
Switz: "Don't get us involved in anything! We're just spectators!" :eek:

Final:
FRA - 0
SUI - 0

Ankf00
06-15-06, 02:59 PM
Rupert Murdoch isn't such a bastige, go figure

June 15, 2006:

FIFA, the international sports organization for football (soccer to Americans) refused to allow U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan (and warships at sea) to view any of the current World Cup games being played in Germany.

The U.S. AFN (Armed Forces Network) has no budget for sports programming, and usually gets a free feed for major sporting events, in the same spirit that movie studios and TV networks provide free access to their product for troops in combat zones. FIFA demanded money, and would not budge on that.

While soccer is not a major sport in the United States, it's estimated that a quarter or more of the troops are fans, and would enjoy seeing some of the World Cup matches.

However, once this situation became known, several wealthy Americans stepped forward to correct the situation. The first one to make a move was media magnate Robert Murdoch, who ordered his Fox Network to make arrangements, and pay whatever FIFA was demanding, to get the soccer games to the troops, as soon as possible. This was accomplished in 24 hours.

eiregosod
06-15-06, 05:25 PM
Rupert Murdoch isn't such a bastige, go figure

you just wait for the special DirecTv 2010 subscription ;)

eiregosod
06-15-06, 05:26 PM
funny :D

Final:
FRA - 0
SUI - 0

Switzerland can score goals. Lokk out for frei when plays against Korea & Togo.

Ankf00
06-15-06, 06:45 PM
you just wait for the special DirecTv 2010 subscription ;)
if that ever happens :flame: :flame:

emjaya
06-16-06, 10:03 AM
Ecuador. :thumbup:

I'm getting in early before the odds get to short. :gomer:

RusH
06-16-06, 10:59 AM
WE CAN DRINK SIX BEERS AT THE SAME TIME!!!!
W000000000000000000t!!!!

Bite me, especially you hating limeys
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/dfabi/Album4/escudo_afa.gif

TrueBrit
06-16-06, 11:19 AM
W000000000000000000t!!!!

How many extra points did you get for all of those goals?

Oh, that's right...NONE.

:gomer:

Ankf00
06-16-06, 01:38 PM
Ivorians are coming on strong, they're setting up play and actually penetrating the Oranje defense with their touch and controlled movement.

cameraman
06-16-06, 01:38 PM
W000000000000000000t!!!!

Yeah, whatever. What is going to happen when you play a team that actually gives a ****? That was the laziest match I've ever seen.

Ankf00
06-16-06, 01:54 PM
Cote d'Ivoire played like a 2nd round team, what a shame they can't go through :(

They definitely deserve it more than any teams in the FRA/SUI/KSA/TUN group and more than the 2nd place team in the Portuguesa group

TrueBrit
06-16-06, 03:47 PM
Cote d'Ivoire played like a 2nd round team, what a shame they can't go through :(

They definitely deserve it more than any teams in the FRA/SUI/KSA/TUN group and more than the 2nd place team in the Portuguesa group

I agree 100%. I have to say that all of the African teams have played very, very well so far in this tourney...Alot better than some of their European counterparts, that's for sure....

Ankf00
06-16-06, 03:50 PM
W000000000000000000t!!!!

That can match with Argentina's ability to bump 6 lines at the same time. You know, seeiing as Maradona is part of the VIP contingent ;)

Ankf00
06-16-06, 03:51 PM
I agree 100%. I have to say that all of the African teams have played very, very well so far in this tourney...Alot better than some of their European counterparts, that's for sure....
Indeed, Angola and Togo were supposed to be CAF riff-raff but that's hardly been the case. :thumbup:

Seeing the CAF squads' inspired efforts in addition to Trinidad & Costa Rica makes me that much more irate over the Yanks' performance on Monday :mad:

anait
06-16-06, 03:56 PM
This neophyte agrees. I thought, They can't catch a break here...

Now, maybe I was just looking for it, but some of the yellows on the CIV seemed rather questionable.

Ankf00
06-16-06, 03:57 PM
Joga Bonito add-on for Firefox users. http://www.mozilla.com/add-ons/jogacompanion/

Customized skin for WC nation of choice, sidebar with scores and future fixtures, sidebar with pertinent headlines from international newspapers. Highlight videos. Psuedo-popup (more like an in-window dropbox) notification whenever a match begins, goal scored, or card issued. The bottom bar of firefox displays the current game, score, & time elapsed.

Ankf00
06-16-06, 04:00 PM
This neophyte agrees. I thought, They can't catch a break here...

Now, maybe I was just looking for it, but some of the yellows on the CIV seemed rather questionable.
That ref was card happy. He booked Arjen Robben when he was clearly fouled on a run. Drogba's card, I feel horrible about it, but I think he did make contact with the keeper, and the keeper is completely off-limits in the penalty area. Van der Sar sold it though, douchebag. It is a WC in Europe, and the bookings are going to lean in UEFA's favor, just as Japan & Korea benefited heavily (especially Korea) in the last cup. The only reason Argentina won the '86 final was that it was held in Mexico City otherwise half of Argentina's roster would've been sent off with the thuggery they displayed that day.

Both of Cote d'Ivoire's matches thus far have been great fun to watch. Unfortunate results, however.

eiregosod
06-16-06, 07:59 PM
the y don't call Group C the group of death for nothing. The best thing ivory Coast can do is win their game against Serbia/montenegro to get more points for the FIFA world cup seedings next time around.

Ghana did well against Italy too. The Italians had a very solid defence.

The jury is out against Togo & Angola

eiregosod
06-16-06, 10:07 PM
I read that the attendence record set at USA94 has not been beaten.

must be FTG's fault :gomer:

Ankf00
06-16-06, 10:14 PM
that attendence record will probably never be beaten until the US hosts it again, and 94 only had 24 teams as well...

in '94 they played in american football stadiums which could fit 70-80K'ish, the Rose Bowl could seat almost 100K back then too.

Ankf00
06-17-06, 02:25 PM
the fact Ghana didn't score at least 3 more goals is criminal.

the fact that Bruce Arena is playing a GOD DAMNED 4-5-1 WITH ****ING MCBRIDE AS LONE STRIKER AND DONOVAN AS WITHDRAWN FORWARD IS PROOF BRUCE NEEDS TO BE IMPRISONED IN HUNTSVILLE!!!!

4-5-1 IS THE FORMATION OF PUSSIES, THE ONLY WAY IT WORKS IS IF YOU HAVE A FINISHER UP FRONT, MCBRIDE IS MCHEAD, HE'S NOT A FINISHER.

EITHER PUT REYNA AT RIGHT MID OR TAKE HIM OUT FOR EDDIE JOHNSON BECAUSE REYNA HAS NEVER WON A WC MATCH FOR US AT CENTER MID OR HOLDING MID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Corkski
06-17-06, 03:31 PM
I didn't know Karl Malone came out of retirement to play for the Italian soccer team. :laugh:

Eddie Pope sucks.