PDA

View Full Version : Back online.

mapguy
04-07-03, 09:53 AM
Had a rough weekend. There was an ice storm that blew through Upstate NY on Friday and early Saturday and there were a lot of power outages. We seemed to survive. Late Saturday evening (around 11:30 pm) there was a flicker of light in the house and then everything went dead. I thought, no problem, when we wake up everything will be back up. Wrong. Woke up and the house was at 55 degrees. The furnace, although it is oil/hot water, needs electricity to run. No heat. The only thing that was working was the hot water heater. I called Niagra Mohawk and got a taped message informing me that there were 17,000 customers without power in the Capital Region of NY. Residents of Albany County should expect their power back on by Monday evening! :cry:

The wierd thing is that my next door neighbour on the south side had power as did everyone across the street. There were a few houses behind me that did not have power. So I went through the automated power outage reporting thing and it informed me that we should have power by 8pm Sunday. :saywhat: By this time the temp inside the house had dropped to 47. Just our luck that after the power goes out the temp outside drops to 19. So I put what little firewood we had left on and just after getting the fire started I saw two NiMo trucks drive by! Yeehaw. :gomer:

At 7pm there was another flicker and the power came back on.

Almost 24 hours without power. I missed what was probably the most exciting F1 race in a long time. At least I got to watch the highlights on SpeedNews.

18 hours without the internet. :cry:

Hot Rod Otis
04-07-03, 12:10 PM
Hey mapguy, aren't Upstate/Western New York ice storms fun? Here in "lovely" Rochester, my power was going in and out and in and out for 2 days. Out Friday 1AM, in Fri 4AM, out Fri 10:30AM, in Fri 6PM, out Fri 11Pm in Sat 9PM,, out Sat 10PM in for good Sat 11:30PM. Every time they'd get one power line up, another one would go down. For a while the only light we had was the green glow of blowing transformers.:eek: Not as bad as the 91 ice storm though. I gotta frigging move ASAP.