PDA

View Full Version : The Earnhardt Rules

DaveL
04-06-03, 04:41 PM
Let's review some of NASCAR's officiating:

-At Bristol, Jerry Nadeau rear ends the much slower Dale Jarrett who admits that the incident was not Nadeau's fault, rather it was his own. Nadeau gets docked two laps.

-In the same race at Bristol, Dale Earnhardt clearly hits Terry Labonte on the last lap and spins in him out of the lead. NASCAR rules the evidence inconclusive and Earnhardt is not penalized.

-Tony Stewart, in an effort to avoid a huge pileup at Daytona, goes below the yellow line and gets black flagged.

-Sterling Marlin, also at Daytona, goes below the yellow line to avoid plowing into the disabled car in front of him, and gets black flagged.

-Brian Vickers clearly does not pass a car on the right on a restart and gets black flagged.

-Dale Earnhardt jr. passes Matt Kenseth below the yellow line....AND IT'S A LEGAL PASS!

This is the most Mickey Mouse officiated series I've ever seen. If your last name is Earnhardt, no rules apply.

What a freaking joke. :rolleyes:

WickerBill
04-06-03, 04:58 PM
Ticked me off, too. Whatever makes the best story, that's what they allow. I mean, c'mon, who cares about Nadeau, really?

rabbit
04-06-03, 05:01 PM
I thought the right call was made, but that's not the issue. Like you said, it shows a sickening amount of inconsistency in the officiating. What got me was when DW or Larry Mac said NASCAR should be careful not to make an "unpopular call".:shakehead

DaveL
04-06-03, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
I thought the right call was made, but that's not the issue. Like you said, it shows a sickening amount of inconsistency in the officiating.

It cannot be said that it was the right call when you look at what other drivers HAVE been black flagged for in the recent years, including two drivers who went below the line because they were forced. Earnhardt had a whole lane to work with. He did not have to go below the line to make the pass. Both Stewart and Marlin did have to go below the line as part of their efforts to avoid accidents. How it can possibly said therefore, that what Stewart and Marlin did justified the flag and what Earnhardt did (make an offensive move near the end of the race as opposed to a defensive move in the middle like Marlin and Stewart) did not totally escapes my comprehension.

What happened today is just another chapter in NASCAR's assault on the intellegence of the fans. And for some shill like Hammond to sit there and tell me it was the right call, as if we forgot last week or any other pull it out of our ass calls NASCAR has made just makes me even angrier :mad:

rabbit
04-06-03, 05:53 PM
I dunno. It looked to me like his move down was purely in response to Kenseth's sudden move over. (OF course, my view may be slanted by the fact I selected him for my OC NAPCAR fantasy team ;) )

On its own, I still think they were right to not black flag him. BUT, when compared to the previous calls you refered to, he should have been black flagged.

NASCAR should rename its officials "Event Outcome Coordinators."

cart7
04-06-03, 05:59 PM
Steve Park was black flagged earlier in the race for improving his position by passing under the yellow. He was 2 laps down and didn't improve his lap position, just his on-track position.

I think the key word here is "Call". ;)

It's become completely impossible to take Nascar even remotely seriously anymore.:shakehead

Helton should step down and let Vince McMahan take over. He's not quite so obvious with his rigged finishes.

DaveL
04-06-03, 06:14 PM
I dunno. It looked to me like his move down was purely in response to Kenseth's sudden move over.

Freaking out in response to another driver's move, in this case a driver who has never caused a wreck out of carelessness or aggressivness in his NASCAR career, is not a justification for going below the line.

rabbit
04-06-03, 06:30 PM
I wasn't trying to blame Kenseth. He was only moving over in response to Johnson sliding down. Junior had a heck of a run on them and I highly doubt either one knew he was there.

DaveL
04-06-03, 06:49 PM
I wasn't trying to blame Kenseth. He was only moving over in response to Johnson sliding down.

I know you aren't blaming Matt. What I'm saying is that Junior overreacted and considering that Kenseth had passed him moments before Dale knew that it was Kenseth with whom he was racing. If it was Todd Bodine I can understand freaking out, but not when it's Kenseth.

JSR
04-06-03, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
It cannot be said that it was the right call when you look at what other drivers HAVE been black flagged for in the recent years, including two drivers who went below the line because they were forced.

Absolutely

Sean O'Gorman
04-06-03, 10:42 PM
Don't forget the "Screw Robby Gordon" rule...and if that one fails, theres always the magic button that race control can press to cause his telemetry box to catch fire.

Talladega is a joke, and I'm glad I didn't waste my time watching a minute of that race.

mnkywrch
04-06-03, 11:08 PM
They never should have black flagged Stewart, Marlin, or Jr. That rule will get someone killed. That said, it was bull to not black flag him given their track record - unless they're going to get smarter.

Dave, I know he's your boy, but Kenseth did run him to the bottom. Johnson moved down one lane, Kenseth dropped down two lanes. I don't blame him, though - that's restrictor plate racin'. You've got to do it. Kenseth did it, Stewart would do it, anyone would do it. Even a nice guy like Johnny Benson would start weaving.

Hey, what was Kurt Busch's problem? Can't drive worth a darn...

DaveL
04-07-03, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Dave, I know he's your boy, but Kenseth did run him to the bottom. Johnson moved down one lane, Kenseth dropped down two lanes. I don't blame him, though - that's restrictor plate racin'. You've got to do it. Kenseth did it, Stewart would do it, anyone would do it. Even a nice guy like Johnny Benson would start weaving.

I understand what you're saying, but understand what I'm saying. If there is a driver in the field that jr should trust not to run him off the track or otherwise put him in danger, it's Kenseth. If it was Todd Bodine I can understand jr freaking out. Kenseth, while he dropped down two lanes, did not drop down three. Dale had a whole lane to work with. A driver less skilled than Kenseth would have taken both of them (if not more) out of the race and into the hospital.

mnkywrch
04-07-03, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by DaveL
I understand what you're saying, but understand what I'm saying. If there is a driver in the field that jr should trust not to run him off the track or otherwise put him in danger, it's Kenseth. If it was Todd Bodine I can understand jr freaking out. Kenseth, while he dropped down two lanes, did not drop down three. Dale had a whole lane to work with. A driver less skilled than Kenseth would have taken both of them (if not more) out of the race and into the hospital.

At 190mph I doubt you have enough time to think - "Oh, that's Kenseth - he'll leave me room".

http://www.nascar.com/2003/news/headlines/wc/04/06/talladega_finish/index.html - and the video is 2/3 down the page.

Kenseth left him a car and maybe a foot. Considering the rate Kenseth and Johnson were swinging over, I don't blame Jr... I'd rather he put two wheels below the yellow line - which is much safer -than possibly causing another 20 car pileup.

Of course, I don't blame Stewart and Marlin for doing the same. I blame NASCAR because they've implented a stupid rule that encourages accidents over safety.

The stupid rule is a stupid bandaid for a ridiculous engine package that encourages everyone to drive like Scott Sharp.

It's just stupid - but as long as they don't kill this Earnhardt, all will be well, from their perspective.

rabbit
04-07-03, 11:04 AM
Of course, I don't blame Stewart and Marlin for doing the same. I blame NASCAR because they've implented a stupid rule that encourages accidents over safety.

The stupid rule is a stupid bandaid for a ridiculous engine package that encourages everyone to drive like Scott Sharp.

It's just stupid - but as long as they don't kill this Earnhardt, all will be well, from their perspective. Strongly worded, but accurate.

JoeBob
04-07-03, 12:30 PM
It's just stupid - but as long as they don't kill this Earnhardt, all will be well, from their perspective.

Interestingly, (is that a word?) I read an article last week that credited the death of Dale Earnhardt as the moment that thrust NASCAR into the big time. After he was killed, tons of people tuned in to the next couple of races, and got hooked.

RacinM3
04-07-03, 01:35 PM
C'mon, guys, you're just figuring this out? Why do you still watch this crap? I quit a long time ago.

pchall
04-07-03, 02:24 PM
Rainy Sunday's are long and boring. We need something to induce a nap.

BlueStang
04-08-03, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by cart7
I think the key word here is "Call". ;)

It's become completely impossible to take Nascar even remotely seriously anymore.:shakehead

Helton should step down and let Vince McMahan take over. He's not quite so obvious with his rigged finishes.

I was going to mention "raslin'"...but you beat me too it! :D

Blue