PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an SUV in FL or CA?

Ankf00
05-24-06, 09:10 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1997090

Buy one of GM's land yachts before July 5th and GM caps gas prices for you at 1.99/gal :gomer:

DETROIT May 23, 2006 (AP)— Aiming to capitalize on consumer angst about the high cost of gasoline, General Motors Corp. on Tuesday said it would cap pump prices at $1.99 for customers in California and Florida who buy certain vehicles by July 5.

One hitch to the promotion is that customers must also agree to enroll in the OnStar vehicle diagnostic service, which is free for the first year but after that will cost $16.95 a month. The other is that many of the eligible vehicles are serious gas guzzlers.

racer2c
05-24-06, 09:20 AM
I saw on the news the other day that there are a few "fuel banks" around the country were you lock in your price by buying in advance.

Also, I heard a quote from a Saudi oil shiek yesterday that they have more supply than demand. Hmmm. Interesting.

cameraman
05-24-06, 12:35 PM
Buy one of GM's land yachts before July 5th and GM caps gas prices for you at 1.99/gal

Nice gimmick. :rolleyes:

Figure gas runs $3 so GM pay $1 for every gallon a Tahoe uses. Figure 25K miles at 15 mpg that is $1667 strung out over a year. The offer only runs until 12/2007. And you are paying $17/month for the Onstar.

Sean O'Gorman
05-24-06, 12:49 PM
Wow, only attach the promotion to the vehicles that it will cost GM the most to use in it. Genius. :rolleyes:

chop456
05-24-06, 12:55 PM
The big 3 will offer a complete line of vehicles with outstanding gas mileage about 5 years after all the foriegn automakers have switched to fueling with a mixture of nitrogen and oxygen.

Stu
05-24-06, 04:47 PM
Its not a reason to buy the vehicle, but a nice promo if you want it anyway.

racer2c
05-24-06, 04:52 PM
Its not a reason to buy the vehicle, but a nice promo if you want it anyway.

There are local dealers here that will pay a year's gas as an incentive.

oddlycalm
05-26-06, 07:32 AM
When Harley-Davidson's market capitalization exceeds GM's and promotions like these it's just a matter of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Unfortunately, the current situation is eerily like the one that caught out Chrysler in 79-80 with a lifetime supply of big, heavy, ugly cars that resulted in the company sucking fumes and rolling over. Back then the fed guv bailed out Chrysler but I wouldn't hold my breath for the current regime to bail out GM.

Too bad, because I remember those 13% convertible debentures fondly. The interest was good for around 18 months then they converted to shares of common stock which took off like a Champ Car coming out of the pits...

oc

cart7
05-26-06, 07:46 AM
Too bad, because I remember those 13% convertible debentures fondly. The interest was good for around 18 months then they converted to shares of common stock which took off like a Champ Car coming out of the pits...

oc

Fueled by Iaccoco's ability to sell the Americans K cars and those fugly minivans of all things.

Whoda thunk.