PDA

View Full Version : Newman on The M

nrc
05-24-06, 08:56 AM
"Listen, I'm just like Fox News. I'm fair and balanced," he says, playfully mocking Rupert Murdoch's cable network. "But for this merger to occur, Tony must first think about what is fair and realistic. He can't load the gun, point it at us and expect us to make a deal. I know what the offer was, and it was neither fair, nor balanced."

Newman didn't go into detail, but he would be unhappy to see a merged circuit abandon newer street races in San Jose, Calif., and Edmonton. "Over a whole year we averaged 150,000 people per race weekend," he says. "I would challenge rivals to make any such statement without going straight to hell."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/champ/2006-05-24-newman_x.htm

RaceGrrl
05-24-06, 09:22 AM
"I would challenge rivals to make any such statement without going straight to hell."

Newman is the man. :laugh:

pchall
05-24-06, 09:22 AM
It's probably a good time for PLN to speak out a bit more. Should we start printing the Paul Newman for President bumper stickers now?

KLang
05-24-06, 09:32 AM
No more of that 'one more year' talk. I wonder if that was taken out of context?

Thanks for the support Paul. :thumbup:

Spicoli
05-24-06, 09:35 AM
As far as a merger goes, Newman sees George as a hindrance.
With a smirk and his signature, gravelly deadpan, Newman explains, "I have a problem with the management."

PLN is, in fact, THE Man. :thumbup:

Merge now, or FTG and get on with it.

Andrew Longman
05-24-06, 09:38 AM
Even in print, its amazing how PN can say bluntly someone is an idiot with such class. :laugh:

FTG
05-24-06, 12:54 PM
"I know what the offer was, and it was neither fair, nor balanced."

Sounds like Tony's being a dick again.

RichK
05-24-06, 01:07 PM
"I would challenge rivals to make any such statement without going straight to hell."

:laugh: :thumbup:

Hard Driver
05-24-06, 01:17 PM
He sums it up pretty well.

"I have a problem with Management"

G.
05-24-06, 01:25 PM
I have the highest esteem for anybody who gets into a race car," he says. "I don't care what it is. But it's OK for me to have a preference. My preference is really for road racing, open-wheel racing. I extend my loyalty to that preference rather than somewhere else because the money looks good." :thumbup:

dando
05-24-06, 01:37 PM
So many classic quotes in this piece. The man is simply. Amazing. I've said it many times before...one :cool: dude. :thumbup:

-Kevin

NismoZ
05-24-06, 02:51 PM
Being a dick again? You mean, STILL? :mad:

NismoZ
05-24-06, 03:38 PM
This, combined with the May/I500 rumor sure makes '07 look unlikely. (unless it was far prior "offers" that were being mentioned.)

Racing Truth
05-24-06, 04:08 PM
This, combined with the May/I500 rumor sure makes '07 look unlikely. (unless it was far prior "offers" that were being mentioned.)

Given that the article says that Nation and KK both said that neither side had made an offer, I think it might be prior offers.

FanofMario
05-24-06, 09:14 PM
My preference is really for road racing, open-wheel racing. I extend my loyalty to that preference rather than somewhere else because the money looks good."

Good god! A man integrity-what is the world coming too? :thumbup:

It does sound as if Lord Tony is still being the Dildoe that he is. :shakehead

gjc2
05-24-06, 10:54 PM
Tony must first think about what is fair and realistic

If they're waiting for TG to be fair and realistic there isn't going to be a merger.

George

racer2c
05-24-06, 11:26 PM
I love PN and have applauded his integrity and Champ Car devotion since the lock out (it wasn't a split, Tony kicked them out), but I wonder how privy Paul is to the discussion between KK and TG. So far both KK and TG have made it sound like they've had some conversations over wine and lunch about how a unified series would be financially more stable but but it hasn't been the IRL staff sitting down with the CCWS staff hammering out a merger accord. I think PN's comments were probably in reference to previous talks.

Was it PN and CH that gave the cold shoulder to merger talk to David Philips at LB? Could it be that they're content winning every race? Paul Newman is 81 years old and is co-owner of the best Champ Car team, he doesn't need and certainly doesn't want, to capitulate to Tony George, but it's comments like his that can scare Tony "the ground hog" George back into his hole for another year.

FTG
05-25-06, 08:07 AM
I wonder how privy Paul is to the discussion between KK and TG.

Very informed.

racer2c
05-25-06, 10:18 AM
Very informed.

If you say so. :gomer:

NismoZ
05-25-06, 10:37 AM
Yes? which would make those quotes quite ominous indeed if they are very recent. Could be sometime after the 500 talk and rumors will abate as FTG waits for KK to walk away (Aug. 1st?) from that pointed gun and bear the burden of ruining another attempt to save open wheel racing. I can imagine the gun leveled at CC includes such realistic things as shelving the turbos, using 100% ethanol, walk away from the DP01, we'll go to Japan, but not Australia, we'll try Cleveland but not Edmonton and, yep, that 6-12 roads to ovals might just have been a solid rumor, as was the clearing of the '07 May schedule by CC? That would fit as a HUGE concession, maybe even last ditch, to make the m-thing happen. Probably SO big that FTG will be encouraged only to ask for more! Not so hard to believe.

racer2c
05-25-06, 10:58 AM
Right. I can imagine that the Tony's recommendation to a reunifimerger was "Uh, why don't your teams buy our cars and uh join the IRL and uh we'll go to Long Beach".

If this thing doesn't happen, I hope KK fills us in on what it was like for him to try to negotiate with mentally challanged egomaniac. :)

Spicoli
05-25-06, 11:11 AM
Right.

1. I can imagine that the Tony's recommendation to a reunifimerger was "Uh, why don't your teams buy our cars and uh join the IRL and uh we'll go to Long Beach".

2. If this thing doesn't happen, I hope KK fills us in on what it was like for him to try to negotiate with mentally challanged egomaniac. :)

1. No doubt, except maybe worser.

2. Most of us here can do that. :p

NismoZ
05-26-06, 10:51 PM
I further believe KK's rumored bombshell offer of clearing the May CC schedule is indeed true and was a bold and serious reply to an FTG complaint that CC teams would have an advantage in '07 (because CC actualy had the foresight to commission the design and production of the DP01). It was an attempt to remove the argument by allowing The League to attain the same footing by '08 but also benefit from a "unified" 500 on HIS terms one final time. That's a big concession, folks, designed to remove a valid concern and replace it with a giant favor! The ball was lobbed to the middle of his side of the court for a simple return and the next thing we hear is misdirection, "It could be we end up talking 2-3 more years." The reporter said "He seemed to indicate there are higher level philisophical agreements as to how the sport should operate that must be agreed to." We've heard that. I think that was the pointed gun PLN was talking about. Sounds to me like the guy is talking about HIS philosophy that KK MUST agree to! For all their crying about wanting unity and not wanting to stand in the way of it, and saying they will support it, I think Honda and Penske are the 2nd and 3rd largest impediments to it!

racer2c
05-26-06, 11:07 PM
I further believe KK's rumored bombshell offer of clearing the May CC schedule is indeed true and was a bold and serious reply to an FTG complaint that CC teams would have an advantage in '07 (because CC actualy had the foresight to commission the design and production of the DP01). It was an attempt to remove the argument by allowing The League to attain the same footing by '08 but also benefit from a "unified" 500 on HIS terms one final time. That's a big concession, folks, designed to remove a valid concern and replace it with a giant favor! The ball was lobbed to the middle of his side of the court for a simple return and the next thing we hear is misdirection, "It could be we end up talking 2-3 more years." The reporter said "He seemed to indicate there are higher level philisophical agreements as to how the sport should operate that must be agreed to." We've heard that. I think that was the pointed gun PLN was talking about. Sounds to me like the guy is talking about HIS philosophy that KK MUST agree to! For all their crying about wanting unity and not wanting to stand in the way of it, and saying they will support it, I think Honda and Penske are the 2nd and 3rd largest impediments to it!

Tony want's one series that he runs. In his simple mind, it's simple. :)

devilmaster
05-26-06, 11:27 PM
http://www.bigstockphoto.com/thumbs/7/0/5/medium/507007.jpg

Niz - allow me introduce you to ^ that. Its an enter key. Its on your keyboard.

rabbit
05-27-06, 08:59 AM
http://www.bigstockphoto.com/thumbs/7/0/5/medium/507007.jpg

Niz - allow me introduce you to ^ that. Its an enter key. Its on your keyboard.
:laugh:

NismoZ
05-27-06, 11:26 AM
Hey!
Thanks,
Champ.
Works
fine.
;)

KLang
05-27-06, 02:48 PM
Hey!
Thanks,
Champ.
Works
fine.
;)

2nd lesson: If you hit it twice, you get a paragraph.

:p ;)

NismoZ
05-27-06, 03:18 PM
Now THAT is asking a lot!

cameraman
05-27-06, 03:22 PM
Paragraph \Par"a*graph\, n.

A distinct part of a discourse or writing; any section or subdivision of a writing or chapter which relates to a particular point, whether consisting of one or many sentences. The division is sometimes noted by the mark [para], but usually, by beginning the first sentence of the paragraph on a new line and at more than the usual distance from the margin, also called indenting the line.

Really, try using them, you might actually like it.

NismoZ
05-27-06, 05:12 PM
I don't see no steenking indentation, and that last one looks like a triple space to me!