PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Most Overplayed Bands

Michaelhatesfans
05-23-06, 01:53 AM
Good or bad, doesn't matter. I could go the rest of my life without hearing them ever again. And why in the name of god would anyone actually buy this music if it's still being played every other song on the radio?

In no particular order,

Fleetwood Mac (particularly anything off of Rumours)

Led Zeppelin ("and now we begin our nightly hour long 'Get the led out' rock block...") :cry:

Eagles (enough said)

extramundane
05-23-06, 10:57 AM
Any of the southern rock bands- Skynyrd, Allmans, ZZ Top

Floyd (specifically Dark Side, but WYWH as well)

Beatles & Stones: they've got huge catalogs, but the same 4 songs from each get played.

Spicoli
05-23-06, 11:24 AM
Good or bad, doesn't matter. I could go the rest of my life without hearing them ever again. And why in the name of god would anyone actually buy this music if it's still being played every other song on the radio?

In no particular order,

Fleetwood Mac (particularly anything off of Rumours)

Led Zeppelin ("and now we begin our nightly hour long 'Get the led out' rock block...") :cry:

Eagles (enough said)

dood - the 70-'s are over.

:rofl:

IlliniRacer
05-23-06, 11:39 AM
Boston

SteveH
05-23-06, 11:48 AM
Talking Heads

chop456
05-23-06, 11:51 AM
Collective Soul.

Worst....band...ever.

dando
05-23-06, 11:57 AM

Change the channel? :D :p

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
05-23-06, 12:07 PM
Nickelback
Nickelback
Nickelback

TKGAngel
05-23-06, 12:18 PM
Goo Goo Dolls - it was their cover of Supertramp's "Give a Little Bit" and the incessant playing of "Better Days" that's done me in.

vancouver
05-23-06, 01:59 PM
Anything from the Pop variety (Britney, Christina...)

Any time of rap, hip hop or RnB e.g 'Diddy

Heavy metal

Michaelhatesfans
05-23-06, 02:27 PM

Tell that to our local radio stations (hence my rant). :cool:

racer2c
05-23-06, 02:32 PM
NIN.

Opposite Lock
05-23-06, 02:56 PM
These aren't so much about the bands (I'm not exactly sure who they even are) or their original versions of the songs, as they are about the "music" in overplayed tv commercials:

Topping my list of instant toenail curlers:
The music to the Budweiser crown-logo commercials. Not sure what "band" this - Chemical Brothers maybe? It's not even in tune with itself. Like applying a rusty cheese grater directly to the eardrum. I get full-body involuntary cringing right from the first beat. I was already a Bud hater, and now I'm a hater of whatever bunch of knob-twiddlers recorded this tonal trainwreck. :flame:

Close second, but closer to fingernails-on-chalkboard:
The "Zoom zoom zoom" song commercials for some car brand. Obviously not even a good commercial campaign, if I can't remember the brand associated with this tropically tinged sonic syrup. Fortunately it doesn't seem to air as often any more. Not sure if this was ever a "song", or if it even involved musicians. Sounds more like a demo track on a crappy keyboard. :mad:

Wearing out my mute button on Sundays:
Any version of the Bridgestone "wheel goes round" ads. Can't remember who did the original song, but it sucked enough. Then some twit art director at an ad agency decided it would be really clever to match it up in an ad for tires. Get it? Tires are round, and part of the song says "the wheels go round". Neat, huh? Tires are parts of wheels! Ha! Ha ha ha! Hilarious!........... :searching for Willy Loman's gaspipe: :saywhat:

[/blog]

Ed_Severson
05-23-06, 03:05 PM
The "Zoom zoom zoom" song commercials for some car brand.

You mean this one? :laugh:

http://www.champcaratlantic.com/content/photos/2006/By800/20060522P_0009.jpg

Ankf00
05-23-06, 03:09 PM
These aren't so much about the bands (I'm not exactly sure who they even are) or their original versions of the songs, as they are about the "music" in overplayed tv commercials:
[/blog]

this list begins and ends with Bob Seger

oddlycalm
05-23-06, 03:53 PM
Tell that to our local radio stations (hence my rant). :cool: Agreed, it's all about the "where were you in '72" play list around here. The only stuff I listen to locally on the rare occasions I bother at all, are the jazz and classical stations which happen to be pretty good. If I was stuck in a car for any amount of time on a daily basis I'd no doubt have satellite radio of some flavor.

oc

Spicoli
05-23-06, 04:01 PM
Hoobastank.
bob Seeger.
nickelback.

oh, there are more.

TKGAngel
05-23-06, 04:32 PM
Phil Collins has to be up there as well.

cameraman
05-23-06, 04:50 PM
Nickelback & Creed top the list.

dando
05-23-06, 04:55 PM
Wearing out my mute button on Sundays:
Any version of the Bridgestone "wheel goes round" ads. Can't remember who did the original song, but it sucked enough. Then some twit art director at an ad agency decided it would be really clever to match it up in an ad for tires. Get it? Tires are round, and part of the song says "the wheels go round". Neat, huh? Tires are parts of wheels! Ha! Ha ha ha! Hilarious!........... :searching for Willy Loman's gaspipe:
For those with younguns, it's like this....the wheels on the bus go round and round... :saywhat: :mad: :cry:

;)

-Kevin

cameraman
05-23-06, 06:08 PM
Hear ya go Wheels on the bus (http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/wheels.htm)

Courtsey of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences sing along page.
(Yes I have a 1.5 year old...)

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
round and round,
round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
all through the town.

The wipers on the bus go Swish, swish, swish;
Swish, swish, swish;
Swish, swish, swish.
The wipers on the bus go Swish, swish, swish,
all through the town.

The horn on the bus goes Beep, beep, beep;
Beep, beep, beep;
Beep, beep, beep.
The horn on the bus goes Beep, beep, beep,
all through the town..

The money on the bus goes, Clink, clink, clink;
Clink, clink, clink;
Clink, clink, clink.
The money on the bus goes, Clink, clink, clink,
all through the town.

The Driver on the bus says "Move on back,
move on back, move on back;"
The Driver on the bus says "Move on back",
all through the town.

The baby on the bus says "Wah, wah, wah;
Wah, wah, wah;
Wah, wah, wah".
The baby on the bus says "Wah, wah, wah",
all through the town.

The mommy on the bus says "Shush, shush, shush;
Shush, shush, shush;
Shush, shush, shush."
The mommy on the bus says "Shush, shush, shush"
all through the town.

Substitute these also:
The doors on the bus go open and shut.
The bell on the bus goes ding-ding-ding.
The lady on the bus says, "Get off my feet"...
The people on the bus say, "We had a nice ride"...
"Your name" on the bus says Let Me Off!

Robstar
05-23-06, 07:39 PM
The "Zoom zoom zoom" song commercials for some car brand.

Those Mazda TVC's annoy the crap out of me too...

Elmo T
05-23-06, 07:47 PM
1. U2

2. Just about any group with 3 or more people who sing but do not play instruments.

3. Lynrd Skynyrd

Michaelhatesfans
05-23-06, 07:49 PM
The only stuff I listen to locally on the rare occasions I bother at all, are the jazz and classical stations which happen to be pretty good.
I've struggled with one of the Jazz stations here. I'm expecting Charlie Parker, they give me Kenny G. :saywhat:

Opposite Lock
05-23-06, 08:46 PM
I've struggled with one of the Jazz stations here. I'm expecting Charlie Parker, they give me Kenny G. :saywhat:

AAAAHHH!!! The mere phrase "Kenny G." sends shudders down my spine. :mad:

But Pat Metheny said it much better than I could:
Classic rant by Pat, circa 2000 (http://www.saxon.com/stephen/pat-story.htm). :rofl:

And just so Pat doesn't get charged with threatening a hate-crime, (although it would have been completely justifiable, imho), Pat's follow-up (http://www.allaboutjazz.com/articles/arti0900_02.htm).

btw, Charlie Parker = Sublime. :cool:

emjaya
05-23-06, 08:57 PM

The downside of royalties,the better the music,the more it costs to play,the less it is played,the more crap that is played.

I don't even have a Jazz station,just a couple of hours once a week on a community station. Lots of Britney stations though. :rolleyes:

but the same 4 songs from each get played.

That's the problem right there.We've been Hotel Californiaed,Heartache Tonighted,New Kid in Towned and Take it Easyed to death by the radio stations.

I say we attack tonight and burn them to the ground. :mad:

:)

racer2c
05-23-06, 10:47 PM
Two references to Lynyrd Skynyrd. I'm sorry, but I haven't heard a Skynyrd song on the radio in 20 years and I live in bum F Virginia.

:confused:

Wabbit
05-23-06, 11:38 PM
U2
Supertramp
Sarah Mcglochlin (I hae her so much, I can't spell it)

Always enjoy the Eagles.

extramundane
05-24-06, 12:14 AM
Two references to Lynyrd Skynyrd. I'm sorry, but I haven't heard a Skynyrd song on the radio in 20 years and I live in bum F Virginia.

:confused:

I'm pretty sure when you cross into Stafford on 95 North there's a "Radar Detectors and Skynyrd Illegal" sign. Drive about 50 miles south sometime; be sure to bring a sharpened #2 pencil...to stab your eardrums.

coolhand
05-24-06, 01:29 AM
I agree with racer2c, I have hardly heard a station play skynryd.

however Greenday is way overplayed.

Warlock!
05-24-06, 07:13 AM
Collective Soul.

Worst....band...ever.
My vote goes to:

Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid...

KID ROCK!

Boy needs a throat punch.

dando
05-24-06, 12:52 PM
My vote goes to:

Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid...

KID ROCK!

Boy needs a throat punch.
Indeed. And a haircut. He gives white trash a bad name. :mad:

-Kevin

race chica
05-25-06, 09:45 PM
nickleback
greenday ( the older stuff is good, but right now I dont think I could listen to When September Ends another time)

Rob
05-26-06, 01:42 AM
nickleback
greenday ( the older stuff is good, but right now I dont think I could listen to When September Ends another time)
That's two from my list, with the third being those weenies from Weezer.

Paintergeek
06-06-06, 09:09 PM
That's two from my list, with the third being those weenies from Weezer.

HATE vs. overplayed......Big difference. Now that im on Sirius, I dont have that problem so much. But in the days of local radio, Easily the Eagles, Mellencamp, and Skynrnrynrnynrnkknryd on the classic station, and on the 'alt' station, Creed, Nickelback, and Pudsmack.

Rob
06-06-06, 09:29 PM
HATE vs. overplayed......Big difference.
No, this was overplayment (I just made that word up). It got to the point where as soon as I heard the "Bum-bum pssht! Bum-bum pssht!" from the start of "Beverly Hills" (a song that wasn't all that bad at first), I dove for the radio immediately.

That being said, Weezer's sweater song is ultra-ghey.

Redwing
06-06-06, 10:23 PM
In this part of the world it is simply impossible to drive from Michigan to Chicago through Indiana without hearing the Holy Trinity of the Overplayed - Bob Seger, John Cougar Mellencamp, and REO Speedwagon (reverse order when coming back home).

RTKar
06-06-06, 10:24 PM
Any metal band...

The Beatles ( sometimes)

The Pretenders (always)

Zeppelin

Paintergeek
06-07-06, 07:18 AM
No, this was overplayment (I just made that word up). It got to the point where as soon as I heard the "Bum-bum pssht! Bum-bum pssht!" from the start of "Beverly Hills" (a song that wasn't all that bad at first), I dove for the radio immediately.

Just realised that I didnt mean to quote you on that, I meant to just reply. Wasnt implying that you didnt know the difference. It was just a random post. Seems some people were listing bands they hated more than bands that were overplayed. I like pink floyd and zepplin, but they are WAY overplayed. I despise the Eagles and Seger, and THEY are both way overplayed as well. Trying to narrow it down to three and leaving my opinion on the band out was hard.

As far running for the radio, I know the feeling. I do that with Evenescence and Hoobastank. Opening licks of either of these two worthless bands 'big hits' and im cursing and running for the radio.

cart7
06-07-06, 07:36 AM
Tell that to our local radio stations (hence my rant). :cool:

They're only playing what the people want. Hell, my 17 year old and plenty of his friends find music today, a vapid wasteland.

I agree.

Crap.

Todays music seems like one long whine after another set to music.

Ankf00
06-07-06, 09:14 AM

the only thing uber-ghey here is j00 :p

blue == pwnz.

theunions
06-08-06, 12:52 PM
Nobody mentioned Staind yet?

I had the opportunity to shoot them on the "red carpet" before the 500. Didn't waste an electron on them.

And a vote for the highly locally overexposed Jack Johnson...mediocre at best musicianship, while way too proud to routinely show off his lack of personal hygiene.