PDA

View Full Version : Googled Merger Stuff

racer2c
05-23-06, 12:06 AM
The Big News out of Indianapolis this week is that there will be no big news. Or at least not the news those in the open-wheel world were hoping to receive.

The lingering reports that a merger of the Champ Car and Indy Racing League (IRL) circuit may be announced on the eve of Sunday's Indy 500 were, at the very least, premature. There will be no letter-of-intent announcement between the two groups.

Progress is still being made in talks between officials of the two groups. There was a meeting as recently as May 11 and Indy and IRL owner/operator Tony George and Champ Car president Kevin Kalkhoven will meet again this week to continue merger talks. Kalkhoven will attend the Indy 500 as George's guest.

Sources say discussions have projected to the point that they are discussing what a merged circuit would look like the number of events, how many oval and street races there would be, a target number of race teams and whether there would be multiple engine makers.

At the same time, Michael Andretti has told people he's seriously considering a return to Champ Car in 2007 if there is no merger.

Link (http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_3850317)

Talk around Indianapolis Motor Speedway this month has been of a unification announcement Friday -- Carburetion Day for the Indy 500. It might be the perfect setting, but George and Kalkhoven say it won't happen -- not yet anyway.

"Slowly, but surely, we are starting to share ideas about open-wheel racing," George said. "We have some differences, but we don't want the process to get stalled, either. The talks have been in good faith, but we can't rush them. We don't want to look like the Keystone Cops."

Though George dismissed any chance of a major open-wheel announcement this week, he didn't count out the possibility of a reunion in 2007.

"Something could be achievable next year, but we would only have a short window to do something -- the next 30-60 days, if we don't make it too complicated," he said. "Carburetion Day is not a real date. But we all know a unified series could be stronger. You can take that to the bank."

Kalkhoven visited George at the speedway last week and has been invited back as George's guest for next Sunday's race.

"I think he learned that I don't have horns on my head," Kalkhoven said. "We shared wine and some laughs."

As for a merger: "We have not set a timetable on it," Kalkhoven said. "We want to wait and do it right."

Link (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060521/SPORTS16/605210708)

SteveH
05-23-06, 12:46 AM
At the same time, Michael Andretti has told people he's seriously considering a return to Champ Car in 2007 if there is no merger.

hateball ensues - Michael better wear a carbon fiber cup.

chop456
05-23-06, 02:27 AM
"...we all know a unified series could be stronger. You can take that to the bank."

Well thanks for ununifying it in the first place, jeenyus. :gomer:

dando
05-23-06, 04:54 AM
Well thanks for ununifying it in the first place, jeenyus. :gomer:
Hey, it's just The Vision version 2.007. :gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

Spicoli
05-23-06, 07:04 AM
hateball ensues - Michael better wear a carbon fiber cup.

Yep. Its gonna be totally awesome. :D

tllips
05-23-06, 09:11 AM
We don't want to look like the Keystone Cops. -ToeKnee

Link (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060521/SPORTS16/605210708)[/QUOTE]

If Tony is involved this will be very hard to achieve.

KLang
05-23-06, 09:21 AM

This makes no sense to me. If, as many of us think, Honda is his major source of funding, how would he pay for it?

dando
05-23-06, 09:37 AM
This makes no sense to me. If, as many of us think, Honda is his major source of funding, how would he pay for it?
Just my $.02....Probably one car for Marco. He shouldn't have any problem finding a sponsor for an Andretti (especially with the lower cost for CCWS on '07). YMMV.

-Kevin

NismoZ
05-23-06, 09:53 AM
I believe Honda is a major source of his funding through '06. Already down from '05. He would likely be facing lower costs if he switches to CC for '07. Haters have your day, but please do not aim at Marco. Or Graham.

dando
05-23-06, 09:57 AM
Haters have your day, but please do not aim at Marco. Or Graham.
:confused: My point was that if his Honda bucks dry up, and he wants to further Marco's career, a move to CCWS @ a reduced cost, and better racing, would be logical. I casted no dispersions towards Marco or Graham. In fact, I believe that Marco, Graham, and Just Al could be a impetus for a revival of OW racing in the US....IF they can get this **** merged.

-Kevin

Hard Driver
05-23-06, 12:33 PM
Hey, it's just The Vision version 2.007. :gomer: :shakehead

-Kevin

Don't you mean 200.7