PDA

View Full Version : Monterrey race to be dropped in 2007

cameraman
05-22-06, 02:46 AM
These words coming from Gerald Forsythe.

“This is probably the last year for this race,” said co-promoter Gerald Forsythe who, together with ex-partner Pat Patrick and the state of Nuevo Leon, helped financed the construction of the Fundidoro Park circuit and the return of Champ Cars to Mexico in 2001 after a 20-year absence. “It’s unfortunate, because we made a big investment in the facility here. The first couple of years were great but, like all events, it’s a function of sponsorship and sponsors are fickle. Tecate has stuck with us the whole time, but some of the others have not.

“The first few years the sponsors bought a lot of tickets and gave some away as part of promotions and incentives to their employees. But that’s gone away and although the Mexican fans are still supportive, the event has just become a bit tired.”

One less permanent road course :flame:

Monterrey Champ Car Notebook - by: David Phillips (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/24634/)

FCYTravis
05-22-06, 04:56 AM
If there was one permanent road course to lose, Monterrey is one I don't think many tears will be shed over. Can anyone remember a memorable race at Fundidora Park?

Didn't think so. Picturesque track but has produced a lot of boring single-file racing.

NismoZ
05-22-06, 07:20 AM
76,000 3 day, 48,000 race day I hear. Lots of empty seats. Too hot. Should be a night race? May? In the way of plans for...elsewhere? No, not one of the better tracks, but with 3 Mexican drivers a Feb. date and more beer maybe...On to Malta! :p

Insomniac
05-22-06, 11:11 AM
How much of this drop can you attribute to Adrian Fernandez?

KLang
05-22-06, 11:16 AM
How much of this drop can you attribute to Adrian Fernandez?

And Jourdain and their respective sponsors.

NismoZ
05-22-06, 12:17 PM
I think the '02 3 day was 236,000!! :eek: (Trade Legge for Martinez, go in Feb./Mar.& go at night, unify and bring (team) Fernandez back and make sure Jourdain returns to get "a proper ride." :p ...200,000+ :thumbup: GF wins, Monterrey wins, OW wins, fans win. Even FTG as partner :saywhat: wins.

Spicoli
05-22-06, 12:31 PM
I think the '02 3 day was 236,000!! :eek: (Trade Legge for Martinez, go in Feb./Mar.& go at night, unify and bring (team) Fernandez back and make sure Jourdain returns to get "a proper ride." :p ...200,000+ :thumbup: GF wins, Monterrey wins, OW wins, fans win. Even FTG as partner :saywhat: wins.

stop making sense.

trauma1
05-22-06, 12:42 PM
f ferandeath, after what he did, martinez and jourdain yeah, but the track needs upgrades, and if they don't race at night it's probably is history, Malta here we come. :shakehead

CART T. Katz
05-22-06, 12:47 PM
am i also hearing the race was scheduled against mexico's biggest soccer game of the year?

"well here's your problem..."

Andrew Longman
05-22-06, 01:08 PM
And Jourdain and their respective sponsors.

And Diaz, Garcia, Lavin, etc.

As well as a few other Latins like deFarren, Castro Neves, Fittipaldi, Kanaan, etc.

Of course what is cause and what is effect. Those guys were there because the race was there. The race was there because Mexican (and maybe American) marketers thought it would help their business to sponsor American OW racing in Mexico. Times change.

NismoZ
05-22-06, 02:23 PM
Which is a GOOD thing, right? ('cuz I don't see them getting much worse.) Change the Houston date. Change the Monterrey date. Push 'em up. Neither one can exist in May if there is a mergification and the seasonal heat says do that anyway! TV likes night races and I think that might be a uni-strategy also. Neither should we discount a little negotiating in the press by GF who may simply be sending a message to the locals to help out more with strategy (date & time) sponsorship and promotion. If they even demand a 'CAB race GF will give it to them if it makes good business sense. (Either that or he already knows Fundidora is getting the axe in a uni-schedule and he's already putting out feelers?)

Tifosi24
05-22-06, 05:34 PM
am i also hearing the race was scheduled against mexico's biggest soccer game of the year?

"well here's your problem..."

They tend to have the worst scheduling department of any sporting league. Also, lets face it folks, the track is terrible. The circuit has never been condusive to good racing and there was a great deal of work that could have been done to make it racy. There are three or four changes that should have been made to the circuit before it was even constructed. That dreadful set of corners in the middle of the circuit come to mind right away :thumdown: . Of course that makes too much sense and GF and other investors obviously didn't have the foresight to create a quality circuit.

Dr. Corkski
05-22-06, 06:25 PM
Poor beach volleyball players. :gomer:

CART_Surfer
05-22-06, 10:47 PM
They tend to have the worst scheduling department of any sporting league.

Just did some quick calculations and I believe that the Toronto race scheduled on July 9 for 12:30pm ET will overlap with the 2006 Soccer World Cup FINAL due to kick off at 14:00 (2pm) ET!!!

Jervis Tetch 1
05-22-06, 11:34 PM
A shame. I was at the first three and I had a wonderful time there.

stroker
05-23-06, 11:43 PM
Be kinda cool if they could beat A1GP to the punch and do a National team for CA, US, MX, and BR in Atlantics. Then you'd have a means of identifying a person as the "representative" of the country and see them move up to CC. Once Atlantics is on firm footing I'd bet you could find somebody to sponsor the "Mexican National Team" and "last year's representative for the Mexican national Atlantics team"...

Easy
05-24-06, 10:53 AM
I think that with A1GP entering its second season they have beaten ChampCar to the punch.