PDA

View Full Version : Brazil SPOILER

Hink
04-06-03, 03:08 PM
I just cannot believe Fisichella didn't win that race.

Rules may be rules but if you pass the leader before the race is called you should win.

trubritz
04-06-03, 03:11 PM
Agreed - plus I was most concerned about the way Fischicella came around at full speed into debris - where were the red flags or radio comms?

Add to that what seemed like an inordinate length of time it took to get him medical treatment, or even a qualified medic equiped with more than a cervical collar attached to his pant leg....

Not a ringing endorsement for F1 by any stretch of the imagination.

Ziggy
04-06-03, 03:16 PM
First off, Im so sick of My favorite sport coming across as Championship Wrestling

Why in the world would you have to revert TWO laps prior to a red flag to get a running order? This makes no sense, and makes some of the old USAC rules look tame. Why would you need to go back TWO laps? it's sad, very sad.

I feel so bad for Giancarlo Fisichella. The guy is fast, has spent many years chasing his first win. He was on pace, and in position to pass the car of the leader, Kimi Raikkonen. Not only that, when KM did make the mistage (and it was made under pressure) He drove off and left him.

Now, another issue worth noting. Where in the world were the flaggers for the Webber accident? How is it that several of these guys go flying through a very debris strewn racetrack at racing speeds? Do they even have flaggers in Brazil? In was pretty comical after Webber hit, and people were just standing around, racecar parts everywhere. Along comes Alonzo, and big time collection, hits everything but the concession stand, yet never is a doctor, track worker, flagman to be seen! The poor guy limps out and away from his racer, finds a place to sit down, sits there for several moments, and a guy finally shows up, and he did not look that professional.

What's World Class about that?

Ziggy

Railbird
04-06-03, 03:23 PM
The emergency response was very Nascar-esque.

The whole deal looked like something from "the quick and the dead".

Eagle104
04-06-03, 03:29 PM
What was a very good race, turned very ugly on several levels in a hurry.

Another thing that blew my mind was how the freaking CRANE was on the track side of the wall when Michael had his off!

I hope Alonso isn't seriously injured. And, if he's not, we might have witnessed one of the 'luckiest' Grands Prix of all time...which, in this case, is a dubious honor, at best.

Dr. Corkski
04-06-03, 03:30 PM
Kimi Castroneves! :mad:

Ziggy
04-06-03, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I forgot about the big front loader versus the 2002 Ferarri.... I bet Bernie saw his bank account flash before his eyes... The biggest draw in his company getting creamed against the exotic flanks of an earth moving machine.

Man, did they let their guard down this weekend or what?

Ziggy

Foxman
04-06-03, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Hink

Rules may be rules but if you pass the leader before the race is called you should win.

AMEN! I could not believe he got robbed like that. He straight up passed Ice man for the lead, why the rule isn't written to go back to previous lap's scoring, or better yet, the last transponder scoring is beyond me..

RaceChic
04-06-03, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Hink

I thought this was a Formula One race, not the Indy 500???!!!???:confused: :confused: :confused:

rabbit
04-06-03, 05:21 PM
Peter Windsor: So Kimi, how does it feel to win a race you actually lost?

"Mmmpfh mm mm phhff mmf f phhff phhff mmpfh."

Hot Rod Otis
04-06-03, 05:25 PM
Who the f*#! was the chief steward in Brazil today, Brian Barnhardt?:mad: You think a sport that claims to be the "pinnacle" of mototrsports could manage a race better than the local Saturday night dirt-track, but I guess not. That race was just like last years IRL500, a mis-managed cluster-f*#!, with the WRONG guy declared the winner.:mad: They were lucky, real lucky today that nobody got seriously hurt, or worse. What a joke.:shakehead

cart7
04-06-03, 05:53 PM
originally posted by rabbit
Peter Windsor: So Kimi, how does it feel to win a race you actually lost?
"Mmmpfh mm mm phhff mmf f phhff phhff mmpfh."

As he speaks with the second place cup shoved over the top of his head. :laugh:

JoeBob
04-06-03, 06:04 PM
I just finished watching that race, I'm glad that everyone seems to be okay. I'll tell you what, I've never understood all of the people who claim that CART has too many full course yellows and/or that if CART had cleanup crews like F1, there'd be fewer FCYs.

When the Jaguar spun off the track and into Montoya's stopped car I commented to my wife that they should have a FCY when there's a car in that position. Then a third car (Schumacher) spun into the same area, where Montyota's car had been replaced by an earthmover. :saywhat: Then, they finally brought out the safety car.

I don't think the Alonzo crash happens under CART yellow flag rules either, but when a driver is going full song into a debris covered track, there's not much you can do. (But, as others have said, where were the flaggers?)

Oh, and what about the guy kicking debris off the track while talking on the phone?

Lizzerd
04-06-03, 06:53 PM
The Brazilian GP has a long history of ineptitude among course workers, safety/medical services, organization and management. Remember the falling signs a couple years ago? I seem to recall that the race almost didn't happen one year because of some kind of financial issue a few years ago, too.

Ziggy
04-06-03, 06:56 PM
Maybe after doing such an outstanding job last year, they let Pele hire all the corner workers.

Ziggy

Lizzerd
04-06-03, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Maybe after doing such an outstanding job last year, they let Pele hire all the corner workers.

Ziggy

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. An astute observation, Ziggy.

RichK
04-06-03, 07:38 PM
I don't think F1 ineptitude is limited to Brazil, either. Remember McNish's big off in Japan last year? He stood by the fence for what seemed like 5 minutes before anyone bothered to check him out.

Cam
04-06-03, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Kimi Castroneves! :mad:

That is way too harsh and pathetic! :shakehead

mnkywrch
04-06-03, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Now, another issue worth noting. Where in the world were the flaggers for the Webber accident? How is it that several of these guys go flying through a very debris strewn racetrack at racing speeds? Do they even have flaggers in Brazil? In was pretty comical after Webber hit, and people were just standing around, racecar parts everywhere. Along comes Alonzo, and big time collection, hits everything but the concession stand, yet never is a doctor, track worker, flagman to be seen! The poor guy limps out and away from his racer, finds a place to sit down, sits there for several moments, and a guy finally shows up, and he did not look that professional.

It reminded me of the Eric Martin accident last year.

You could see yellow flags & the first two guys made it through, under reduced speed, just fine. Then Alonso comes through at 10/10's and whacks a wheel. Better a wheel than what was left of Webber's ride.

nz_climber
04-07-03, 05:51 AM
Well I didn't see what happend at the end of the race as i had to go to work ... but I have read about it and seen wat you guys had to say.. and it doesn't surprise me as when i left there had already been a few crashes and then MS almost smashed to pieces by a pretty solid looking piece of crane!! so lucky he didn't hit it!!

if(and i know it does) more full yellow stop this sort of thing im all for it!!