PDA

View Full Version : absolutely pitiful

gjc2
05-21-06, 06:03 PM
Empty stands and another year without bumping.

Chief
05-21-06, 06:15 PM
It is the lowest I've ever seen the speedway sink. Absolutely pathetic....

Fio1
05-21-06, 06:34 PM
One of the mosr exciting days in racing turnrd into one of the biggest jokes. TG and th eIRL suck!

What ever, next Sunday we have the Monaco GP to look forward to! :D

FTG
05-21-06, 06:39 PM

Wait til next year.

Cam
05-21-06, 06:42 PM

Have to disagree there..... It was baaadddd, but the Tony Stewart act a couple of years ago was much worse.... :rolleyes:

dando
05-21-06, 06:44 PM
Have to disagree there..... It was baaadddd, but the Tony Stewart act a couple of years ago was much worse.... :rolleyes:
Aw, c'mon...that was pure :gomer: drama! :shakehead

There were bright spots this year....specifically Jamie Little's teeth. ;)

Last night's interviewfest on pit lane was pretty sad, 2. Not sure if that was a new thing or not.

-Kevin

Fio1
05-21-06, 08:00 PM
Wait til next year.

Ya, no kidding. :rofl:

gjc2
05-21-06, 08:14 PM
.......and it's not going to be getting better anytime soon. If the merger happens and the new series adopts the Panoz DP01 how many will be available next May?

George

Lizzerd
05-21-06, 08:34 PM
/\ Plenty. :flame:

dando
05-21-06, 08:44 PM
RM and DD were on Speed News tonight....DD figgers that the speed differential b/w first and worst is the greatest over the past 13 years (he only compared the stats for the past 13 years, tho.). He also surmised that Sham will be lapping cars early in the race, and the competiveness will be low.

Both skewered Roth for being a wanker that dint belong in the field, and said something about Barnfart threatening to send out another car if he managed to make the field. RM's classic line was that DD took an entire bottle of No Doze to make it through the day. :laugh:

Oh. and Sham wrecking the backup car was priceless! :thumbup:

-Kevin

SurfaceUnits
05-21-06, 09:55 PM
.......and it's not going to be getting better anytime soon. If the merger happens and the new series adopts the Panoz DP01 how many will be available next May?

GeorgeThere is not going to be remergification. If anybody thinks the igs has given up his dream of being czar of open wheel racing, you've been sniffing from the same paint can he is. If any agreement is made it will only be a temporary detour on his road to the dream. :shakehead

Words of Encouragement from earl's engine supplier:

"The state of open-wheel racing is not good," said Robert Clarke, president of Honda Performance Development. "The American public does not embrace open-wheel like they once did.

"The IRL-CART split divided the fan base and made it smaller -- polarized it. It's an unsustainable position. Open-wheel racing is on life support, and its disappearance is not out of the realm of possibility."

Indy 500 isn't indestructible

"It's in terrible shape, obviously," said Bobby Unser, who remains passionate about the sport. "There are not enough cars, not enough sponsors. If something isn't done soon, there may not be time enough to heal her.

"All of this is going to cease to exist. If they think it and the Indy 500 are indestructible, they better think again."

The IGS Admits his Incompetence

"Certainly, in the last 10 years, we've seen the dysfunctionality of open-wheel racing," George said.

Jervis Tetch 1
05-21-06, 11:49 PM
Foyt's stunts are pathetic. He's helping tear down the place that supposedly made him. What a tool :shakehead :mad:

SteveH
05-22-06, 12:52 AM
Why do I get the feeling that a few suggestions were made to Foyt to have someone ready in case Roth made the field? If you know what I mean. ;) :gomer:

coolhand
05-22-06, 01:27 AM
I don't know how anyone cna brag about that event :thumdown:

gjc2
05-22-06, 07:44 AM
Why do I get the feeling that a few suggestions were made to Foyt to have someone ready in case Roth made the field? If you know what I mean. ;) :gomer:

I'm sure that's exactly what happened.

emjaya
05-22-06, 08:31 AM

George
Bad news,George. :confused:

From SpeedTV (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/24634)

UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED?

Rumor has it that one of the stumbling blocks to a Champ Car/IRL merger may be the belief in the latter camp that Champ Car’s new Panoz DP01 chassis is not suitable -- safety-wise and/or performance-wise -- to superspeedway racing.

:)

racer2c
05-22-06, 10:40 AM
“I never thought I could be in it,” said Medeiros, a 23-year-old Brazilian who has been one of the IRL IndyCar Series’ best -- but largely unemployed -- prospects since winning the IRL Infiniti Pro Series championship in 2004. “I’ve been here the last two years, and now here I am. We were the drama this year.”

So there was the drama! I was looking all over for it. :gomer:

dando
05-22-06, 10:51 AM
So there was the drama! I was looking all over for it. :gomer:
Dude, you missed it. It was like Rocky....on wheels...kinda like Driven even. :gomer:

I just hope they get his car painted b4 Sunday. That thing was a collection of pieces parts leftover from various collisions this month. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Insomniac
05-22-06, 11:13 AM

George

Panoz should't have any trouble making enough chassis' by then.

Insomniac
05-22-06, 11:16 AM
Bad news,George. :confused:

From SpeedTV (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/24634)

UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED?

Rumor has it that one of the stumbling blocks to a Champ Car/IRL merger may be the belief in the latter camp that Champ Car’s new Panoz DP01 chassis is not suitable -- safety-wise and/or performance-wise -- to superspeedway racing.

:)

Heh, and you have Sebastien Bourdais talking about the excellent safety of the IRL chassis:

No love from Bourdais for IRL Cars

Bourdais is one racer who isn't shedding any tears because he is not in Indianapolis for the month of May and the Indianapolis 500. And he wasn't shy about explaining why.

"Those cars are unsafe," he opined. "Bruno [Junqueira] experienced it last year and so have many others. "I'm glad I did the race last year. I proved I could do it. But as long as they are in those [IRL] cars, I don't want to race there. I don't want to break my back and end up handicapped."

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=5&id=2453108

Andrew Longman
05-22-06, 12:23 PM
So how does the whole "is the DP01 safe for speedways" get resolved?

I presume Panoz does a lot of computer modeling and crashtesting of parts. And they have a lot of data from the current IRL car to build off of.

They are certainly not going wait until the unveiling at SJ to crash test a real one. Even if they did, that would mean putting off any announcement on the merger until 08 for sure (too late).

trauma1
05-22-06, 01:55 PM
this Dp01 not safe for speedways started at crack forum and now some one at earl is running with it, the same **** started at TF with the Dp being put on hold and some journalist picking up as truth, :shakehead
btw famous last words at mindy
MARTY ROTH: "I'm still shooting for the front row." :rofl:

Andrew Longman
05-22-06, 03:37 PM
btw famous last words at mindy
MARTY ROTH: "I'm still shooting for the front row." :rofl:

From the looks of it, he meant front row outside of Turn 1.

Thanksfully he missed.

pchall
05-22-06, 07:29 PM

Robin Miller needs to print an updated version of his crapwagon injuries list.

Andrew Longman
05-22-06, 07:32 PM
Robin Miller needs to print an updated version of his crapwagon injuries list.

The shut up and race crowd doesn't want to her any foreign road racing sissy boys complain about oval and crapwagons

Insomniac
05-23-06, 07:37 AM

I presume Panoz does a lot of computer modeling and crashtesting of parts. And they have a lot of data from the current IRL car to build off of.

They are certainly not going wait until the unveiling at SJ to crash test a real one. Even if they did, that would mean putting off any announcement on the merger until 08 for sure (too late).

It would be unbelievable to me for ChampCar to design a car not up to snuff for a super speedway. If they actually did, that was a lot of short sidedness. They should've just made a RR car then.