PDA

View Full Version : Off to the White House

race chica
05-17-06, 09:18 PM
So I did it. I found a summer job in Washington DC and in a week I will be road tripping to the White House by myself for a summer internship in graphic design and public relations.

If anyone has any good stopping points along the way from Stevens Point WI to DC or knows of any good karting tracks in the DC metro area let me know.

Also- If anyone is heading to DC for a trip this summer and would want to get together for a tour of the city from an almost "native" let me know. Within a few weeks I should have mapped out the best watering holes around the Capitol Mall :)

racer2c
05-17-06, 10:45 PM
So I did it. I found a summer job in Washington DC and in a week I will be road tripping to the White House by myself for a summer internship in graphic design and public relations.

If anyone has any good stopping points along the way from Stevens Point WI to DC or knows of any good karting tracks in the DC metro area let me know.

Also- If anyone is heading to DC for a trip this summer and would want to get together for a tour of the city from an almost "native" let me know. Within a few weeks I should have mapped out the best watering holes around the Capitol Mall :)

In a few weeks you'll be hanging out in Alexandria (yuppie shopping in a colonial setting with decent restaurants/bars, Georgetown (legendary party strip although a mere shadow of its former self today) and Northwest (if you're into the loud bands in small clubs scene).

The suit and tie "Mall" folks all head home to Fairfax, Springfield and Manassas to drink. :gomer:

D.C. is great city to visit...but I wouldn't want to live there and I've lived outside of it for the majority of my life.

You'll have fun though, I'm sure. It's a unique place. I love the D.C.

Keep us updated.

rabbit
05-18-06, 09:16 AM
race chica, I did an internship in DC last summer. It was an incredible experience. I had an apartment near the court house in Arlington. Old Town Alexandria is definitely worth a visit, or two, or three. It was one of my favorites. Make sure you take in the changing of the guard ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetary. Kind of off the beaten path a little, but if you like airplanes, check out Gravelly Point Park (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=cityguide/profile&id=1028013) . :thumbup: During the summer, on Friday evenings after 5, there is live outdoor jazz next to the big fountain at the Smithsonian Sculpture Garden. Visiting the monuments at night is a different experience than during the day, especially the Korean War monument. (Just make sure you go with a group.) Oh, and without a doubt, DO NOT miss the Holocaust Museum. If you have any questions, give me a holler. :)

extramundane
05-18-06, 11:33 AM

It's not really near the Mall, but: go to The Brickskeller and order 1 of everything.

And stay the hell away from Capital City Brewing. :thumdown:

Mr. Toad
05-18-06, 10:43 PM
Within a few weeks I should have mapped out the best watering holes around the Capitol Mall :)

http://www.thebrickskeller.com/

Just my humble opinion

Sean O'Gorman
05-18-06, 10:50 PM
Hey, look, I found the low point of your road trip!

http://www.aaroadtrips.com/ohio/oh-010_eb_app_jct_i-480_02.jpg

G.
05-19-06, 09:57 AM
I was never happier to leave a city (DC) in my life. And I was only there 2 days.

It ain't the city, it's the people.

When I got the hotel in Ohio on the way back, it was as if I entered another country.

Guess I'm more comfortable with my own inbred-flyover-state peeps. :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
05-19-06, 10:03 AM
I was never happier to leave a city in my life. And I was only there 2 days.

When I got the hotel in Ohio on the way back, it was as if I entered another country.

Are you talking about Cleveland or DC?

G.
05-19-06, 10:45 AM
Are you talking about Cleveland or DC?I hated DC.

KLang
05-19-06, 10:49 AM
I was never happier to leave a city (DC) in my life. And I was only there 2 days.

Have you ever spent any time in North Havana errr Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? Lived there a couple years. Couldn't get out fast enough. :saywhat:

extramundane
05-19-06, 02:44 PM
I hated DC.

Were you in DC, or in the DC suburbs? There are few places on earth I find more heinous than Northern Virginia.

G.
05-19-06, 03:06 PM
Were you in DC, or in the DC suburbs? There are few places on earth I find more heinous than Northern Virginia.DC and Georgetown.

Lemme 'splain.

I found the streets nearly impossible to navigate, so frustration builds. Mind you, I am used to Chicago traffic, so I'm not a complete hayseed.

I'm there on business, so I had some transactions to take care of, which essentially meant that I was buying goods and services. Spending money.

I had the HARDEST time getting people to take my money in exchange for simple services. I'm not talking about any special requests or anything, but like, when I want to buy a sandwich, please come take my money and give me a freakin sandwich! You sell them here! Or, when I go to the UHaul place to, gasp, rent a UHaul trailer, let me pay you and take my trailer! :flame:

No special services, just trying to buy stuff.

It was EVERYWHERE! You try to $pend, people look at you like you're trying to **** their cat! Even the Smithsonian people. (course, they did have nice looking cats ;) )

I had a bad time there, that's all. I got into OH, and literally breathed a sigh of relief. Stopped at hotel (near the waterpark off of rt 80), and the people behind the desk couldn't have been more inclined to help me with ANYTHING. I had to talk a guy out of running over to WalMart to get me some paddlocks for the trailer. They wanted to HELP! What a concept!

I am not doing this topic an justice, and I am prolly coming off like an ass, some guy who expects others to be subserviant, since I am paying them, but really, that ain't me at all. Not at all. I treat everybody, even gomers (usually) with respect.

The rudeness to the DCer's was more than I have ever experienced anywhere, and I have gone to the DMV before. :laugh: The people that I interacted with were worse than my ex girlfriends.

Again, I cannot do this reply justice.

extramundane
05-19-06, 03:17 PM
Georgetown = Overpriced, overhyped craphole to be avoided at all costs.

And I can understand the frustration over street navigation - I can get anywhere in town via Metro with no problem, but it took several trips before I had the streets nailed. Plus the cabbies are worse there than NYC.

Ankf00
05-19-06, 03:29 PM
what the problem? you don't like hanging out with successful people and their successful roommates in their successful apartments driving their successful leased car buying successful drinks on their 17 successful credit cards?

:D

RichK
05-19-06, 05:00 PM
All those replies and nobody told you to pack a blue dress? :shakehead ;)

Sean O'Gorman
05-19-06, 05:04 PM
DC and Georgetown.

Lemme 'splain.

I found the streets nearly impossible to navigate, so frustration builds. Mind you, I am used to Chicago traffic, so I'm not a complete hayseed.

I'm there on business, so I had some transactions to take care of, which essentially meant that I was buying goods and services. Spending money.

I had the HARDEST time getting people to take my money in exchange for simple services. I'm not talking about any special requests or anything, but like, when I want to buy a sandwich, please come take my money and give me a freakin sandwich! You sell them here! Or, when I go to the UHaul place to, gasp, rent a UHaul trailer, let me pay you and take my trailer! :flame:

No special services, just trying to buy stuff.

It was EVERYWHERE! You try to $pend, people look at you like you're trying to **** their cat! Even the Smithsonian people. (course, they did have nice looking cats ;) )

I had a bad time there, that's all. I got into OH, and literally breathed a sigh of relief. Stopped at hotel (near the waterpark off of rt 80), and the people behind the desk couldn't have been more inclined to help me with ANYTHING. I had to talk a guy out of running over to WalMart to get me some paddlocks for the trailer. They wanted to HELP! What a concept!

I am not doing this topic an justice, and I am prolly coming off like an ass, some guy who expects others to be subserviant, since I am paying them, but really, that ain't me at all. Not at all. I treat everybody, even gomers (usually) with respect.

The rudeness to the DCer's was more than I have ever experienced anywhere, and I have gone to the DMV before. :laugh: The people that I interacted with were worse than my ex girlfriends.

Again, I cannot do this reply justice.

And here I was thinking you got mugged by a crackhead. ;)

Stu
05-20-06, 01:36 AM
All those replies and nobody told you to pack a blue dress? :shakehead ;)

thats about 7 years too late.

extramundane
05-20-06, 10:40 AM
what the problem? you don't like hanging out with successful people and their successful roommates in their successful apartments driving their successful leased car buying successful drinks on their 17 successful credit cards?

:D

That, and there's nothing in Georgetown that can't be found in your local "upscale lifestyle center."

Except for exploding manhole covers.

Ankf00
05-20-06, 12:53 PM
That, and there's nothing in Georgetown that can't be found in your local "upscale lifestyle center."

Except for exploding manhole covers.

it's all good, I don't do DC either, why fly 1800 miles to to see what I can see here in Dallas? :D

greenie
05-20-06, 08:55 PM
chica - From experience I'll bet that you'll love DC.

I did the internship deal for a US Senator - and got three speeches published in the Congressional Record when I was 21. ,,,, :gomer: ,,,

Old school bar to hit: Irish Times on the Hill. That place is money $$$

Front Page and Chadseys were also cool places - but I think that Chadseys may be history.

There's a lot going on at Dupont Circle (the Fruit Loop) I've heard - but who knows on that one. Adams Morgan is neat too.

There's definately no place like DC - it's a great town. Good luck. :thumbup:

greenie
05-20-06, 08:59 PM
I found the streets nearly impossible to navigate, so frustration builds.

Metro. :gomer:

You're right though that DC is a trickey place - and you don't want to take a wrong turn for obvious reasons.

racer2c
05-20-06, 11:53 PM
In truth D.C is a non city. Like I said above it is unique and has beautiful aspects and everyone needs to visit it at least once in their life (even being a “local suburbian” I love weekend museum hopping) but with that said it's really just a corner of slums , a corner of yuppie brown stones and a corner of museums/govt buildings. The majority of the people that work there don't live there. It doesn't "breath life" like a pre-Katrina New Orleans, or exude culture like New York. Nor does it have the charisma of LA or the food of Chicago or San Fran.
And for being the Capitol of the wealthiest and most powerful nation on the planet, it is surprisingly un-cosmopolitan. Too stiff and political (well duh).

vancouver
05-21-06, 09:19 AM
That's where most of the John Grisham novels are set right? :confused:

Does anyone read Grisham?

Ankf00
05-21-06, 01:14 PM
Does anyone read Grisham?

in the UK with that many fantastic native writers like David Mitchell, DBC Pierre, and John Banville, why waste time reading Grisham? :gomer:

jcollins28
05-21-06, 01:18 PM
I'm usually pretty good with directions, but damn D.C is a confusing city to drive in! I think I got lost just about every time I tried to get somewhere. Also DO NOT VENTURE OFF COURSE! Holy hell I thought L.A had some "rough" neighborhoods. One trip I was lost and I swear I think I drove into a 3rd world country. Some bad stuff out there so carry a map and be careful.

extramundane
05-21-06, 04:30 PM
It doesn't "breath life" like a pre-Katrina New Orleans, or exude culture like New York. Nor does it have the charisma of LA or the food of Chicago or San Fran.

I think U Street/14th Street has the potential to change some of that perception. It's certainly not there yet, but if left to its own devices (i.e. no Georgetown or Penn Quarter-ing), it could be good in a few years.

BigIrlFan
05-22-06, 02:09 PM
DAg blame it woman. WEes sposed to meet behind the vigoda this year. HOW int he sam hill is that sposed to happen if you gone to WASHington?

WElll you better let me know when your back here in INDy. I got first dibs if you knwo what I meen hahahahahahaha

BIf#

THe IRl - WE got new tradtions ever year.

vancouver
05-22-06, 03:37 PM
in the UK with that many fantastic native writers like David Mitchell, DBC Pierre, and John Banville, why waste time reading Grisham? :gomer:

You forgot to add JK Rowling to that list. :D

Ankf00
05-22-06, 04:05 PM
You forgot to add JK Rowling to that list. :D

genre fiction == IRL

:gomer: