PDA

View Full Version : RIAA needs to get a life, wants to sue for $24 Billion per month

Ankf00
05-17-06, 11:39 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060517/ap_on_hi_te/satellite_music_lawsuit_5

The recording industry accuses XM Satellite Radio of "massive wholesale infringement" because of a $400 iPod-like device that allows XM customers to record up to 50 hours of music and automatically parse recordings by song and artist. The "Inno" is sold under the slogan, "Hear it, click it, save it."

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in New York by the largest labels, seeks $150,000 in damages for every song copied by XM Satellite customers using the devices, which went on sale weeks ago. The company says it plays 160,000 different songs every month.

How the f*** is this any different from hitting the record button on your radio/cassette deck back in the day?

If the songs aren't transferrable, what's the big deal?

FRIAA

Stu
05-17-06, 11:42 AM
its basically a tivo for your xm. so why isnt tivo being sued by tv networks?

Ankf00
05-17-06, 11:43 AM
its basically a tivo for your xm. so why isnt tivo being sued by tv networks?

because they never offered to skip through commercials :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
05-17-06, 12:10 PM
More reason why I haven't purchsed music in over 5 years. Between XM and Limewire, I have all the music I need. And in the rare event my XM satellite doesn't work, I have the little doggie satellite radio on my Dish too. I think the reciever for the Dish is actually smaller than my dad's Sirius reciever. :laugh:

oddlycalm
05-17-06, 01:30 PM
its basically a tivo for your xm. so why isnt tivo being sued by tv networks? You seem to have forgotten the part where ReplyTV was sued out of existance which also all but killed the Rio MP3 player line as well...

oc

racer2c
05-17-06, 01:41 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060517/ap_on_hi_te/satellite_music_lawsuit_5

How the f*** is this any different from hitting the record button on your radio/cassette deck back in the day?

If the songs aren't transferrable, what's the big deal?

FRIAA

One excuse I heard was that a cassette dub is far from the record/CD quality vs dubbing digitally.

Stu
05-17-06, 02:25 PM
One excuse I heard was that a cassette dub is far from the record/CD quality vs dubbing digitally.

Most MP3's sound horrible, yet they still go after people with them.

I think its more the easiness of sharing, not quality.

cameraman
05-17-06, 04:21 PM
Sounds like XM is violating their agreement with the riaa. There is no way the riaa would agree to the ability to losslessly record the XM broadcast without them getting royalities for it. They would never enter into an agreement that allowed it.

Lossless copying is the riaa's greatest fear.

Ankf00
05-17-06, 04:36 PM
you can't violate an agreement if there is no agreement.

RIAA wants an agreement on top of what XM already pays them. Double fees.

Users are already paying to listen to said music, and as long as they continue their subscription, RIAA is still getting their royalty check.

FRIAA

Wheel-Nut
05-17-06, 04:49 PM
More reason why I haven't purchsed music in over 5 years. Between XM and Limewire, I have all the music I need. :laugh:

Don't you have to buy a subscription for XM?

cameraman
05-17-06, 04:51 PM
you can't violate an agreement if there is no agreement.

I take it you are not a business major. Use outside of the bounds of an agreement is a violation of said agreement.

Wheel-Nut
05-17-06, 04:51 PM
This is all you need Ank.

http://www.radiofreetexas.org/

Ankf00
05-17-06, 05:04 PM
I take it you are not a business major. Use outside of the bounds of an agreement is a violation of said agreement.

no **** on both counts.

if there is no clause related to recording equpiment in the original agreement wtf are they violating? XM signed a licensing agreement for their broadcasting. RIAA wants another agreement for anything recorded with XM's device, a device marketed long after the debut of satty radio and the original licensing agreements. If there was some kind of violation of the original terms RIAA would be probably be suing for much more than just what fines they can try to recoup under their interpretation of copyright laws.

Ankf00
05-17-06, 05:07 PM
This is all you need Ank.

http://www.radiofreetexas.org/

no thanks, I always preferred Radio Free Europe myself, REM style :gomer:

Ankf00
05-18-06, 12:29 AM
MPAA
RIAA
NCAA

sense a theme? :gomer:

chop456
05-18-06, 08:24 AM
Lossless copying is the riaa's greatest fear.

XM doesn't even approach the realm of lossless recording. At least in my car, a strong FM signal sounds better.

Stu
05-18-06, 08:49 AM
XM doesn't even approach the realm of lossless recording. At least in my car, a strong FM signal sounds better.

How is your XM connected to your car stereo?

Sean O'Gorman
05-18-06, 09:18 AM
Its the same in my car, because the stock Acura deck doesn't have an AUX input.

chop456
05-18-06, 10:02 AM
How is your XM connected to your car stereo?

Cassette adapter.

Ankf00
05-18-06, 11:01 AM
my housemate has Sirius hooked up, sounds pretty good, but it's hardly CD quality imo.

Stu
05-18-06, 11:52 AM
Cassette adapter.

Try another cassette adapter, or maybe its your cassette deck. Im running mine through Cassette and find it to be significantly better than FM radio but obviously less than CD.

If I take it in the house, its connected via the line in and it sounds good. Still compressed so its not CD quality, but way way way better than the compressed nightmare that is FM radio.

Oh and I am running XM via the crappy little Roady2. Get a Nano and it should be even better.

G.
05-18-06, 12:00 PM
but way way way better than the compressed nightmare that is FM radio.

:confused:

FM is still uncompressed analog, isn't it? Did I miss a meeting?

nrc
05-18-06, 01:31 PM
:confused:

FM is still uncompressed analog, isn't it? Did I miss a meeting?

FM radio uses pretty heavy analog dynamic range compression to make FM modulation of the audio signal fit within their frequency bandwidth.

G.
05-18-06, 01:54 PM
FM radio uses pretty heavy analog dynamic range compression to make FM modulation of the audio signal fit within their frequency bandwidth.
The use pre-emphasis and some version of companding, both of which improve the sound quality of the FM signal, given the BW restrictions.

Back OT: FRIAA.

devilmaster
05-18-06, 02:53 PM
ehhh. Just another day in the life of the recording industry throwing lawsuit s**t at the wall and praying something sticks.....

racermike
05-18-06, 06:41 PM
I do my searching for songs on iTunes, then check on MP3 Rocket to see if I can download for free.

I do spend about $10 a month on iTunes though (for stuff I cant find on P2P sites)

Stu
05-19-06, 10:11 AM
http://img.xmradio.com/images/lineup/xmlogo.gif

Statement to XM Subscribers - The XM Nation

Everything we've done at XM since our first minute on the air is about giving you more choices. We provide more channels and music programming than any other network. We play all the music you want to hear including the artists you want to hear but can't find on traditional FM radio. And we offer the best radios with the features you want for your cars, homes, and all places in between.

We've developed new radios -- the Inno, Helix and NeXus -- that take innovation to the next level in a totally legal way. Like TiVo, these devices give you the ability to enjoy the sports, talk and music programming whenever you want. And because they are portable, you can enjoy XM wherever you want.

The music industry wants to stop your ability to choose when and where you can listen. Their lawyers have filed a meritless lawsuit to try and stop you from enjoying these radios.

They don't get it. These devices are clearly legal. Consumers have enjoyed the right to tape off the air for their personal use for decades, from reel-to-reel and the cassette to the VCR and TiVo.

Our new radios complement download services, they don't replace them. If you want a copy of a song to transfer to other players or burn onto CDs, we make it easy for you to buy them through XM + Napster.

Satellite radio subscribers like you are law-abiding music consumers; a portion of your subscriber fee pays royalties directly to artists. Instead of going after pirates who don't pay a cent, the record labels are attacking the radios used for the enjoyment of music by consumers like you. It's misguided and wrong.

We will vigorously defend these radios and your right to enjoy them in court and before Congress, and we expect to win.

Thank you for your support.

Sean O'Gorman
05-19-06, 10:44 AM
:thumbup: :thumbup:

They better not back down.