PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brayton - 10 years today

Chitowncartfreak
05-17-06, 09:41 AM
Even though he was killed while driving in the IRL, I thought it was worth remembering that today is the 10th anniversary of Scott Brayton's death at Indianapolis. He was probably never the best CART driver during his career, but he was definitely one of the hardest working and always had time for the sponsors and fans. Truly a "working-man's" race car driver.

Gangrel
05-17-06, 10:22 AM
Drivers are drivers. Regardless of where they were lost, they should be remembered.

Scott and Jeff were the first two drivers lost in my race fan career. Hope he found his way to the checkered flag up there. :(

Wabbit
05-17-06, 10:42 AM
I met Scott's cousin (also named Scott) a few weeks before this happened. From the conversation we had, Scott really loved to race and enjoyed all that he had accomplished.

SteveH
05-17-06, 10:54 AM
The pride of Coldwater Mi. Which is also the home of Gordon Johncock. Both familiies had a concrete business, Johncock Brayton Ready Mix.

RIP, racer.

JLMannin
05-18-06, 09:00 AM
Brayton's death hit me hard, likely because I had followed his career for so many years. He put forth 100% effort into whatever he did - be it racing, Amway, his family.

Spicoli
05-18-06, 09:30 AM
The pride of Coldwater Mi. Which is also the home of Gordon Johncock. Both familiies had a concrete business, Johncock Brayton Ready Mix.

RIP, racer.

wow - that's a cool little bit of trivia right there. :thumbup:

SteveH
05-18-06, 09:33 AM
Back in the 80s (later part) they used to park one of their big concrete haulers at the intersection of the state highway that would lead to MIS. Would always be there on the CART weekend.

Fio1
05-18-06, 02:45 PM
Isn't his ex-wife now married to another driver?

I read a few months after the crash that he did not have life insurance. Man, even if you race cars it isn't that expensive.....

96 was a sucidal year for the IRL. What was the average, 2.3 hospital admitted drivers per race weekend. Remember the Drinan crash days after Brayton?

Chitowncartfreak
05-18-06, 05:24 PM
Isn't his ex-wife now married to another driver?

I read a few months after the crash that he did not have life insurance. Man, even if you race cars it isn't that expensive.....

96 was a sucidal year for the IRL. What was the average, 2.3 hospital admitted drivers per race weekend. Remember the Drinan crash days after Brayton?

Yes - married Robbie Buhl.

Actually, the Drinan crash was HOURS after Brayton - during warm-up for Saturday quals. That was a tough year - Brayton, Drinan, and Zampedri at Indy, Lazier at Phoeniz, Salazar at Disney, and a whole host of others at Vegas.

Ankf00
05-18-06, 06:00 PM
FTG

Chitowncartfreak
05-18-06, 06:25 PM
Brayton's death hit me hard, likely because I had followed his career for so many years. He put forth 100% effort into whatever he did - be it racing, Amway, his family.

I read somewhere that Scott became a full-fledged Amway distributor when he picked up the sponsorship.