PDA

View Full Version : Steve Johnson

Racing Truth
05-16-06, 05:43 PM
Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3863127.html)

Johnson said the event in Houston was exactly the way Champ Car wants to market its races, with three days that included a boxing card, beach volleyball, beer gardens, beauty pageants and four races.

"The approach we're trying to take is that we don't put on a race," Johnson said. "We throw a party, and a race breaks out."

That's Steve Johnson boys and girls! Now, lets give him a hand for saying the dumbest thing I've read not uttered by T. George! :gomer:

Shame too b/c the race was really good. Sell that. :shakehead

racer2c
05-16-06, 05:47 PM
Oh man, a MotoRock moment. Boo hiss.

Well, they gotta do something to get people to buy tickets. I doubt your average 25 year old will bother with an auto race unless there is a beer garden, beauty pagents and beach vollyball included. :gomer:

Ankf00
05-16-06, 05:50 PM
well, checking out hot girls in little bikinis didn't hurt between sessions :gomer:

Racing Truth
05-16-06, 05:56 PM
Oh man, a MotoRock moment. Boo hiss.

Well, they gotta do something to get people to buy tickets. I doubt your average 25 year old will bother with an auto race unless there is a beer garden, beauty pagents and beach vollyball included. :gomer:

Exactly, I mean how else did the sport THRIVE pre-split? Gimmicks, right?

Ohhh... :gomer:

Ank: True, very true. I'm just not crazy about the cavalier attitude both series, IMHO, have about the racing product.

Ankf00
05-16-06, 06:02 PM
Ank: True, very true. I'm just not crazy about the cavalier attitude both series, IMHO, have about the racing product.

I'm in complete agreement, I was always vocal about how ridiculous MotoCrock was. Coincidentally, I don't think many folks GAF about the "concerts" or side acts, really.

But, placing the beach vball pit across from the beer garden? Classic. :D

Turn7
05-16-06, 06:09 PM
The vball pit was a nice distraction and another reason for going over to the beergarden.

Gangrel
05-16-06, 06:12 PM
Classic, but not new...this was done at CMS during the 3 years of the Target GP of Chicago. Beach volleyball, beer garden, X-Game style dirt bike jumping...

I just saw it all as an interesting distraction that phased me little in either direction.

A boxing card, depending on at what level and with which sanctioning body, I wouldn't mind.

But true, these comments are moronic.

Spicoli
05-16-06, 06:36 PM
no merger? then get used to it.

:runs:

Dr. Corkski
05-16-06, 06:46 PM
Because parties are what gets big ratings on TV. :gomer:

SteveH
05-16-06, 06:53 PM
no merger? then get used to it.

:runs:

even if there is a merger.

Its going to take one hell of a party to build the cowds back to where they once were.

Spicoli
05-16-06, 06:56 PM

Its going to take one hell of a party to build the cowds back to where they once were.
cowds? what's a cowd? :gomer:

I know, I'm just sayin' its over for RA if that's what they are moving towards.

TravelGal
05-16-06, 07:38 PM
This is what KK has been saying for the last year. It's just that Johnson blurts it out in stupid language. He's the moron in my book. Was talking to a guy in Mexico City last year who said how thrilled SCCA was to get rid of him and foist him off on CC. :rolleyes: I can see why.

Opposite Lock
05-16-06, 08:20 PM

This sounds like a job for Velvet Revolver! :gomer:

racer2c
05-16-06, 09:04 PM

Ohhh... :gomer:

Do you know any 20 somethings? How about urban 30 somethings who just LUV formula racing! Maybe you know some 40 something city dwellers who can't wait to take all of their fellow middle management chums to a Champ Car race!

Oh, that's right, all the street race fans drive in from the 'burbs. :gomer:

Different times dooder. Lot's change in 11 years.

FTG
05-16-06, 09:21 PM
When I go to the Toronto race, I see lots of guys who do nothing but drink beer and watch the volleyball games. They never look at a race. I'd rather some of their money going to Champ Car than a local bar.

jonovision_man
05-16-06, 10:07 PM
When I go to the Toronto race, I see lots of guys who do nothing but drink beer and watch the volleyball games. They never look at a race. I'd rather some of their money going to Champ Car than a local bar.

As long as the race is good... which it usually is in the case of Toronto.

jono

Sean O'Gorman
05-16-06, 10:52 PM

I'd rather Champ Car try and convince them to watch, uh, y'know, a CHAMP CAR race, rather than just give up on them and throw these "parties."

Last I checked, people don't turn their TV on to watch a "party" advertised as a sporting event.

racer2c
05-16-06, 11:04 PM
I'd rather Champ Car try and convince them to watch, uh, y'know, a CHAMP CAR race, rather than just give up on them and throw these "parties."

Last I checked, people don't turn their TV on to watch a "party" advertised as a sporting event.

And there's the kicker...TV. Ratings have been so abysmal for so many years now and since they buy their slots anyway they need to make sure what is on TV at least appears like people are actually there.

Nothing looks worse for a sport than empty stands.

I'm not defending the "block party", "MotoRock" solution if the series has all it's eggs into the basket of "roaming the world in search of cities suckers" Like a bunch of carnies. But at the same time Champ Car is so far off the map that even holding a race in the biggest cities of the world are having trouble drawing 100K...they need to think of ways to get the people through the turnstile.

racer2c
05-16-06, 11:06 PM
...Or else they're opening up for the NASCAR Busch series in Montreal. :thumdown:

cart7
05-17-06, 05:27 AM
"The approach we're trying to take is that we don't put on a race," Johnson said. "We throw a party, and a race breaks out."

Thanks for stating the obvious Steve. :gomer:

No merger and I can forsee this scenario...

KK attempts to hook up every race with the STAR Mazda series, ALMS or GA.

KK decides WGAF about fancy 700hp race cars. The Atlantics are cheaper and put on quite a show.

Atlantics become the one of the races in the festivals of Speed. Champcars as we know it are history.

Fans like cart7 return to having weekends devoted to other things more important in life like fishing.

Watching Wet T-shirt contests, aged 70-80's rock band reunion tours, moto-bicycle jumping, drifting and strolling mimes just don't cut it as qwality TV entertainment for this racefan.

The race series begins showing up on Google searches under "urban revitalizing companies and street festivals".

:thumdown:

nrc
05-17-06, 08:47 AM
Geesh. You would think we hadn't just had a really good race.

KLang
05-17-06, 09:19 AM
No kidding nrc.

Haven't street races ALWAYS had these other things going on? In fact I can remember concerts and such going on even at Road America in the past.

Andrew Longman
05-17-06, 10:26 AM
How many people in the old snakepit were there for the race and how many were there for the party?

Good racing is an essential part of the product, but a carnival atmosphere only adds to the event. LeMans does it. Monaco does it. I see no reason not to do everything they can to get every last person to come and have fun.

I think they all pay money and I think sponsors like them all about equally.

But yes there has to be good racing. And by what I've heard about the design objectives for the DP01 they are interested in improving the racing product over the current Lolas.

FTG
05-17-06, 11:14 AM
I'd rather Champ Car try and convince them to watch, uh, y'know, a CHAMP CAR race,

You've convinced me. The NFL just puts on a game: no cheerleaders, no tailgate parties, no half time shows, no exploding scoreboards.

pferrf1
05-17-06, 11:15 AM

You gotta get tehm to the race first.....

Sean O'Gorman
05-17-06, 12:03 PM
You've convinced me. The NFL just puts on a game: no cheerleaders, no tailgate parties, no half time shows, no exploding scoreboards.

So if every team was as popular as the Arizona Cardinals, but the stadium was full of plenty of other, non-football things to do, it would be good for the sport of NFL?

racer2c
05-17-06, 12:59 PM
Is it good for the NFL to broadcast a game with half full stands?

Ankf00
05-17-06, 01:04 PM
So if every team was as popular as the Arizona Cardinals, but the stadium was full of plenty of other, non-football things to do, it would be good for the sport of NFL?

apparently it was good for the sport of the NFL seeing as how they're a juggernaut now despite all the marching bands & other events the first NFL games would be bring about during the games to entertain people, all of which you're apparently ignorant of.

as long as the bands & other crap aren't even close to headlining the act and are kept at a reasonable number, wgaf. they're just extra curiosities to keep people entertained in their downtime. the problem arises when statements like "a party where a race breaks out" start becoming MotoCrock & CCWS in reality.

cart7
05-17-06, 01:06 PM
You gotta get tehm to the race first.....

So why not take the concerts, wet Tshirt contests, bikini contests, jugglers, strolling mimes, booze tents and drifters to Laguna, M/O, RA, Gateway, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Portland just to name a few? Will the people still show up?

G.
05-17-06, 01:32 PM
We interrupt this rant to inform you that the person that desgined the FOCC and gridgirl outfits is a genius.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Content/Photos/2006/By400/20060512P_0045.jpg

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Content/Photos/2006/By400/20060513P_0087.jpg

Thank you, that is all.

oddlycalm
05-17-06, 01:37 PM
I know, I'm just sayin' its over for RA if that's what they are moving towards. Yeah, I watch what they're doing with GP2 and by contrast CCWS seems like a contrivance EmptyV came up with.

oc

Spicoli
05-17-06, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I watch what they're doing with GP2 and by contrast CCWS seems like a contrivance EmptyV came up with.

oc

Sweet analysis.

Racing Truth
05-17-06, 03:39 PM
So why not take the concerts, wet Tshirt contests, bikini contests, jugglers, strolling mimes, booze tents and drifters to Laguna, M/O, RA, Gateway, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Portland just to name a few? Will the people still show up?

No, no. people only want to see street racing. Its not that they aren't real fans who will disappear right after the carnival leaves. They're just so chic and sophisticated that they DEMAND only street racing. :gomer:

Corksi has it right. CC attendance is great, TV= teh sux, and a healthy dose of street shows will do NOTHING for that.

oddlycalm
05-17-06, 05:32 PM
We interrupt this rant to inform you that the person that desgined the FOCC and gridgirl outfits is a genius. If I'm not mistaken they were designed by renowned Italian designer Fabrizio Cameltoadio. :cool:

oc

emjaya
05-17-06, 06:57 PM
Surfers Paradise is advertised as a four day party with on and off track events.

Made up of around 50 different events located on the glittering Gold Coast and based around the month of October, the Official Offtrack Events Calendar literally has something for everyone. From the free and fun Rio-inspired street parades, international concerts, Lexmark Indy 300 driver parades and family days, to the glitz and glamour of the Bartercard Miss Indy competition, cocktail parties, Gala Ball, charity luncheons and motor shows.

All designed to get people to fly in from interstate and stay for a week,not just come for one day.

Mmmm,Miss Indy comp. :gomer:
:)

cart7
05-17-06, 08:35 PM
Why do I have a feeling Kevin's gonna piece CCWS out to Tony and get in the Festival of Speed business fronting racing in cities for whomever wants to run.. ALMS, GA, Tony's new IRL/Chopped up CCWS series, etc.

Spicoli
05-17-06, 08:37 PM
Why do I have a feeling Kevin's gonna piece CCWS out to Tony and get in the Festival of Speed business fronting racing in cities for whomever wants to run.. ALMS, GA, Tony's new IRL/Chopped up CCWS series, etc.

Prolly cause you are using your head.

I mean, who knows. Dealing with FTG is kinda like Charlie Brown...well, you know.

FTG is a dick. He can pull crap out from under you in a heartbeat. MAYBE that's wazzup? wtf knows....

stroker
05-17-06, 08:50 PM
cowds? what's a cowd? :gomer:

I know, I'm just sayin' its over for RA if that's what they are moving towards.

Vollyball? At RA? I think not. More like bikini lumberjacking. Chicks with enormous chain saws. Chicks log rolling. Chicks cross-cut sawing. Chicks with axes. Think about it. :rofl:

OOOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAAAH!

Spicoli
05-17-06, 09:27 PM
Vollyball? At RA? I think not. More like bikini lumberjacking. Chicks with enormous chain saws. Chicks log rolling. Chicks cross-cut sawing. Chicks with axes. Think about it. :rofl:

OOOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAAAH!

i'm just sayin'....

the only thing gave me a woodie at RA couple years ago was the Tater-gun the Conquest guys were shooting off from the campground. Thing was wicked. :thumbup:

nrc
05-17-06, 10:50 PM
Rumor has it they're adding a Wisconsin round of the Face of Champcar event.
http://content.funnyhumor.com/pictures/bikinicow.jpg
I agree whole-heartly with the anti-party folks. In fact, just to make sure that nobody is showing up for the wrong reasons, Road America should ban alcoholic beverages completely. That way everyone will know that we're there because we're real race fans and not just because we like getting drunk around a camp fire.

Lizzerd
05-17-06, 11:26 PM
I agree whole-heartly with the anti-party folks. In fact, just to make sure that nobody is showing up for the wrong reasons, Road America should ban alcoholic beverages completely. That way everyone will know that we're there because we're real race fans and not just because we like getting drunk around a camp fire.

Blasphemer!

Seriously, I hope you're kidding about that. :confused:

JoeBob
05-18-06, 12:01 AM
Next thing you know, we're going to have a big thread about why they should bring back the snakepit. ;)

Let's face it - there isn't a big race in the world where a significant number of fans are there for the party, not the racing.

Show me an event where everyone is there for the racing, and I'll show you an event with less than 10,000 people in attendance.

nrc
05-18-06, 02:01 AM
Blasphemer!

Seriously, I hope you're kidding about that. :confused:

Of course. Instead I think they should bring boxing, beach volleyball, and drifting to Road America. ;)

rabbit
05-18-06, 08:10 AM
Next thing you know, we're going to have a big thread about why they should bring back the snakepit. ;)

Let's face it - there isn't a big race in the world where a significant number of fans are there for the party, not the racing.

Show me an event where everyone is there for the racing, and I'll show you an event with less than 10,000 people in attendance.
Exactly.

Sean O'Gorman
05-18-06, 09:20 AM

What's wrong with Grand-Am? ;)

Show me an event where the racing is considered irrelevent as long as there are other forms of entertainment at the track, and I'll show you a series that is struggling for sponsorship.

SteveH
05-18-06, 11:31 AM
Show me an event where the racing is considered irrelevent as long as there are other forms of entertainment at the track, and I'll show you a series that is struggling for sponsorship.

Here's one (http://www.indianaracing.net/171/aid_196/staind%2Dto%2Dperform%2Don%2Drace%2Dday%2Dat%2Dind ianapolis%2D500%2Ehtm).

TKGAngel
05-18-06, 12:19 PM

This leads into a bigger question: how has CCWS promoted their events in these (or all) of their race locations? Are they running ads? Are they running ads in other markets, to reach out to others in the region (ex: Toronto, running ads in the Buffalo Snooze). Or are they simply relying on the faithful to spread the word and show up?

Ankf00
05-18-06, 12:27 PM
What's wrong with Grand-Am? ;)

so eliminating tailgating & partying and you're going to tell me even 50% of people still show up to NASCAR races and college football games?

riiiiiiiiiight...

Sean O'Gorman
05-18-06, 02:49 PM
so eliminating tailgating & partying and you're going to tell me even 50% of people still show up to NASCAR races and college football games?

riiiiiiiiiight...

I didn't say eliminate this stuff. But don't you think there should be something worth tailgating at in the first place?

If the fans that go and get wasted at NASCAR races didn't first and foremost have drivers to cheer for, they wouldn't drive the hundreds of miles and spend the hundreds of dollars they do to go to these races. If you don't agree, then why would Houston, Cleveland, San Jose, etc. have only 20-30k and NASCAR races in the middle of nowhere have 150k?

oddlycalm
05-18-06, 07:30 PM
the only thing gave me a woodie at RA couple years ago was the Tater-gun the Conquest guys were shooting off from the campground. Thing was wicked. :thumbup: A Tater-gun competition sounds like a real good time, but why not up the anty to grapefruits?

One of the best Rose Festival parties I've ever been to began with drinks mixed 30 gallons at a time in polyethylene drums and ended by riding down river to Astoria on a Canadian Navy frigate and shooting frozen grapefruit out of the deck gun when we got there. :D :thumbup: That was before the War On Terra and increased security of course.

oc

Ankf00
05-18-06, 08:19 PM
I didn't say eliminate this stuff. But don't you think there should be something worth tailgating at in the first place?

If the fans that go and get wasted at NASCAR races didn't first and foremost have drivers to cheer for, they wouldn't drive the hundreds of miles and spend the hundreds of dollars they do to go to these races. If you don't agree, then why would Houston, Cleveland, San Jose, etc. have only 20-30k and NASCAR races in the middle of nowhere have 150k?

and your final solution is to have the stands packed with nothing but parking lot pimps like yourself and your pals from honda-tech ("because honda-tech is where all the real racers hang out").

yea, no thanks :gomer:

racer2c
05-18-06, 09:27 PM

Sean, Sean, Sean. We'd have to get into the whole evolution of NAsCAR to answer your question. At this stage in the game, there is no magic pill, no definitive answer of "Come to a Champ Car race and see HOT BABES, DRIFTING EXPO, B-RATE BANDS AND MORE MORE MORE, oh and a race" or “We have a girl driver!” or “ Come watch Paul Tracy run into people!” that draws instant success.

The split allowed NASCAR to capitalize on the obvious while the franchise of CART squandered and abandoned their success and here we are...at square 1. To be totally honest, CCWS is grasping at straws and who can blame them. They are teetering on the edge of oblivion even with our savior KK and Co. So with the dreaded street races that ensures the company at least stays in the black, comes the obligatory side shows to help 'urge' the hesitant through the gates.

I agree that the racing should take front and center stage, but let's be honest, few of the Champ Car races in the past couple of years have been exactly races for the history books, but I'm hopeful that the DP01 will help solve that. That or maybe bring back the Hanford but use them for road courses. It could look like a slot car race.
:gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
05-18-06, 10:56 PM
and your final solution is to have the stands packed with nothing but parking lot pimps like yourself and your pals from honda-tech ("because honda-tech is where all the real racers hang out").

yea, no thanks :gomer:

honda-tech is the CCF of club racing/autox forums. Its all about rr-ax.com yo

Ankf00
05-19-06, 02:36 AM
honda-tech is the CCF of club racing/autox forums.

that's no way to talk about your brothers in arms. :gomer:

JoeBob
05-19-06, 11:03 AM

Sean,
You don't get it, and all the rehashing in the world isn't going get it through to you. But, since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll give it one last shot.

Whether it is a concert, a race, a football game, or an airshow - people spend their money for a day of entertainment in a fun atmosphere. If you provide that, people will show up and spend money. If you don't provide it, they won't.

People will drive long distancesjust for a huge party. Look at the multitude of amphitheaters just outside of urban areas throughout the country. They all host a plethora of summer concerts - and if you've spent much time on the lawn, you'll know that many people couldn't care less who the band is. If that doesn't hit home for you, ask your parents about a little town in upstate New York called Woodstock. (And, this carries over to racing as well - look at the infield at Talladega.)

Sean O'Gorman
05-19-06, 11:10 AM
Sean,
You don't get it, and all the rehashing in the world isn't going get it through to you. But, since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll give it one last shot.

Whether it is a concert, a race, a football game, or an airshow - people spend their money for a day of entertainment in a fun atmosphere. If you provide that, people will show up and spend money. If you don't provide it, they won't.

People will drive long distancesjust for a huge party. Look at the multitude of amphitheaters just outside of urban areas throughout the country. They all host a plethora of summer concerts - and if you've spent much time on the lawn, you'll know that many people couldn't care less who the band is. If that doesn't hit home for you, ask your parents about a little town in upstate New York called Woodstock. (And, this carries over to racing as well - look at the infield at Talladega.)

I do get it, you're just missing my point. I'm sure Champ Car could maybe be profitable with the three-day party concept, I just don't care. I want to see the most possible cars with the most possible sponsors with the most possible real race tracks. How do you do that? You don't put the primary focus on the rock stars, freestyle motocrossers, grid girls, beer tents, etc. They aren't the ones driving the cars on the track. The drivers are. I want to see a series that can have a healthy development ladder with fully sponsored vehicles in all tiers, just like NASCAR has.

Champ Car racing is (or could/should/would be) entertaining, right? If your answer is no, might as well just shut down the series because I can't imagine why you'd attach any sort of entertainment to it then. Convince the fans that the race cars with the race car drivers in them on the real race car tracks that it is entertaining (and tailor the product accordingly), and the fans and sponsors will come. Take the attitude that this stuff isn't going to sell without a bunch of other irrevelent crap attached to it, and you end up with cars with "fake" sponsors that don't cover the bill.

Is it selfish? Yes. But I don't care, I'm only interested in what ME, Sean W. O'Gorman is interested in seeing on track. Anyone who isn't on board with that can go watch Tibetian yak racing for all I care.

Thank you for your time. ;)

racer2c
05-19-06, 11:58 AM
I do get it, you're just missing my point. I'm sure Champ Car could maybe be profitable with the three-day party concept, I just don't care. I want to see the most possible cars with the most possible sponsors with the most possible real race tracks. How do you do that? You don't put the primary focus on the rock stars, freestyle motocrossers, grid girls, beer tents, etc. They aren't the ones driving the cars on the track. The drivers are. I want to see a series that can have a healthy development ladder with fully sponsored vehicles in all tiers, just like NASCAR has.

Champ Car racing is (or could/should/would be) entertaining, right? If your answer is no, might as well just shut down the series because I can't imagine why you'd attach any sort of entertainment to it then. Convince the fans that the race cars with the race car drivers in them on the real race car tracks that it is entertaining (and tailor the product accordingly), and the fans and sponsors will come. Take the attitude that this stuff isn't going to sell without a bunch of other irrevelent crap attached to it, and you end up with cars with "fake" sponsors that don't cover the bill.

Is it selfish? Yes. But I don't care, I'm only interested in what ME, Sean W. O'Gorman is interested in seeing on track. Anyone who isn't on board with that can go watch Tibetian yak racing for all I care.

Sean Waldo? :)

G.
05-19-06, 12:42 PM
Anyone who isn't on board with that can go watch Tibetian yak racing for all I care.

Thank you for your time. ;)must. post. it.

props to pedroskova.

http://home.ntelos.net/~pgudaitis/htdocs/yak-1.jpg
Notice the chrome horn(s).

TKGAngel
05-19-06, 01:36 PM

If the people here didn't think Champcar racing was entertaining, we wouldn't be on this board, now would we?

Your comments show what racing should be. The best on-track product will put people in the seats. However, in order to convince the fans that the product is great, you need a cohesive marketing strategy. And this (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/19941/) RM piece from late 2005 illustrates the futility open-wheel has had in the marketing department. Marketing budgets are usually the first thing to get cut in times of trouble, and with both series being funded by a combination of KK and Tony bucks, the marketing has suffered.

Dr. Corkski
05-19-06, 02:09 PM
I'm only interested in what ME, Sean W. O'Gorman is interested in seeing on track.You middle initial is W? There is your problem right there.

Racing Truth
05-19-06, 04:07 PM
If the people here didn't think Champcar racing was entertaining, we wouldn't be on this board, now would we?

Your comments show what racing should be. The best on-track product will put people in the seats. However, in order to convince the fans that the product is great, you need a cohesive marketing strategy. And this (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/19941/) RM piece from late 2005 illustrates the futility open-wheel has had in the marketing department. Marketing budgets are usually the first thing to get cut in times of trouble, and with both series being funded by a combination of KK and Tony bucks, the marketing has suffered.

The people on this board are not an issue. We're sold, already.

JB misses the point, and O'Gorman does to a point as well. Yes, as INDIVIDUAL events, street races work in terms of $$$. But when put them together in a series, the outcome is, at best, unclear. Granted, ovals are terrible too, but I just don't see a predominant street "festival" series cutting it on television. And make no mistake, TV is verrrrry important here. As well attended as the festivals are, do these people follow after the circus leaves? Empirical evidence suggests NOT A CHANCE (by and large).

And why should they? If the attraction for locals is the carnival, and if you emphasize thst too much, why will they care about the actual racing on TV? You can't truly convey "festival" on television after all.

Yes, yes, I know. Street fests will attract new fans once they see it. How's that workin' out so far? :gomer:

The problem is this: You have to first-and-foremost emphasize the racing product. Gimmicks like Johnson's attitude are just a way for both series to ignore the fact that no one else gives two ****s about the product. That's where the sport will, in the end, live or die.

Now, I have no problem with this stuff accentuating a certain atmosphere at the race. All sports do this, but after they have an established product. Johnson's attitude smacks of window dressing, when new windows altogether are what is needed.

And I'm not against all streets. You need LB, Houston has potential, etc. Just don't rely solely on them.

Also, how about marketing, creatively, drivers and the racing?

RacinM3
05-19-06, 04:18 PM
Before I was a hardcore fan, I was attracted by the racing, and nothing but the racing. I never even considered going to one of the sideshow concerts they hold at the events.

It's all about the racing. All the other sideshows are simply reasons to get an uninterested significant other/sibling/child/buddy to go with you.

Funny thing is, now, I'm so over the whole thing, I didn't even watch the last Champ Car race.

Andrew Longman
05-19-06, 05:01 PM
I was and am attracted to the events by the cars, the noise, the speed and the racing. I remember going to my first champ car race at Pocono and being utterly stunned at how huge the place was and noise of the cars as it went green for the first time. TV gave it no justice.

And while I have enjoyed not having to worry much about buying my tickets months in advance to make sure I get good seats, and not sitting in miles of traffic to get in and out of the track, and having plenty of room to spread out and let the kids run about in the grandstands, I do miss the buzz a really crowded raceday makes. It nice to have a bunch of people around and lots of stuff going on around me even if I have no interest in it and it actually causes me some practical inconvenience. And having been to Nazareth and MIS their last few years, I hated all the rumors that dominated the weekend about whether the event would be back next year. It did not put me on a Defender style suicide watch, but it was a downer.

nrc
05-19-06, 05:13 PM
Funny thing is, now, I'm so over the whole thing, I didn't even watch the last Champ Car race.

You missed a good one.

Insomniac
05-21-06, 12:55 PM
Attendance is down and they're tyring to do everything they can to put people in seats. Hopefully some day they won't need to have a party with a race breaking out, and go back to the way it was, a race with a party breaking out. I don't think this is what they want, but better this than nothing.