PDA

View Full Version : Chicane explained.

KLang
05-16-06, 03:51 PM
Good article by David Phillips. link (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/24248/)

The lingering presence of one of the massive chalet/tents used at the OTC contributed to the lack of run-off area in Turn Two. Plans had originally called for the track to turn a coupe of hundred feet before the Reliant Center, but the chalet couldn’t be deconstructed in time and so the turn was placed directly in front of the building.

“We lay this all out on paper, I walk around the site (but) until it comes together, especially for a first year, it’s really difficult. You’ve got to visualize . . . we move this wall, the grandstand comes out, this bridge shifts over a little bit and the TV camera goes here. It’s easy to show up on Monday or Tuesday and say, ‘This isn’t right.’ But there’s been 45 or 50 days of construction leading up to that and the fact that we’ve moved this piece of wall 12 times in order to get the sight line right. The reason I made the changes (to the track) on Wednesday night is because I didn’t disagree with them. It was another opinion. I hate chicanes. With A passion. I like a nice flowing racetrack. And I’ve got this building in the way (so) that I can’t finish a run-off. But we’ll make it better next year.”

Wheel-Nut
05-16-06, 04:02 PM
I wonder which driver made this statement? I have a good idea!

Another veteran driver who shall remain nameless vented his frustrations about the track as we walked right past Thacke on Thursday night. Moments later the driver confronted a Champ Car official and said, “Who designed this (expletive) track?” When informed Martyn Thacke had designed the circuit, the driver said, “Who’s Martyn Thacke?”

KLang
05-16-06, 04:04 PM
I've seen elsewhere it referred to as the 'Bourdais Chicane'.

NismoZ
05-16-06, 04:16 PM
Sorry, I don't see the point of the explanation. That's about the chicane, not the reason for it. It seems to me a simple track diagram showed the need for runoff not for a chicane. It's one of the 1st things I noticed when I saw the initial layout. I clearly remember posters making comments. If the "making it better" for next refers to the chicane and not turn 2 then they still have their priorities wrong.

KLang
05-16-06, 04:34 PM
Sorry, I don't see the point of the explanation. That's about the chicane, not the reason for it. It seems to me a simple track diagram showed the need for runoff not for a chicane. It's one of the 1st things I noticed when I saw the initial layout. I clearly remember posters making comments. If the "making it better" for next refers to the chicane and not turn 2 then they still have their priorities wrong.

'The lingering presence of one of the massive chalet/tents used at the OTC contributed to the lack of run-off area in Turn Two. Plans had originally called for the track to turn a coupe of hundred feet before the Reliant Center, but the chalet couldn’t be deconstructed in time and so the turn was placed directly in front of the building.'

cameraman
05-16-06, 04:39 PM
What part of a chalet left over from the Offshore Technology Conference being in the way did you not understand?

The OTC is a monster oil industry tradeshow/conference. A hell of a lot bigger and more money involved than Champ Car. They did not get the chalet taken down in time and CCWS had to work around it.

eta: I type slowly.

Ankf00
05-16-06, 04:40 PM

reading comprehension is obviously not your thing :gomer:

KLang
05-16-06, 04:45 PM
It was a big freaking tent. It also spoiled the view for some of the seats in grandstand 2.

edit: That also explains why they changed the infield map on the Grand Prix website a couple time last week.

Wheel-Nut
05-16-06, 04:51 PM
Yes, it was quite large and I never could figure out a way to get in!! The chicks playing volleyball kept getting in!!

Ankf00
05-16-06, 04:54 PM
Yes, it was quite large and I never could figure out a way to get in!! The chicks playing volleyball kept getting in!!

shoulda showed up when the track opened and walked in with all of the vball girls every day ;)

NismoZ
05-16-06, 08:14 PM
OK, let me see if I comprehend what I am reading. Next year the big freaking tent will be removed on time, there will be no need for a flow interrupting chicane and turn 2 will include a safe runoff? Cool. Hope it's bigger and better than the one Tag tested out.

Wheel-Nut
05-16-06, 08:58 PM
Do you happen to know when the OTC and Champ Car race are scheduled for 2007?