PDA

View Full Version : MCNULTY on the M

RusH
05-16-06, 11:48 AM
The result of the George/Kalkhoven talks, the Sun has been told, is so positive that an announcement of at least a letter of intent to merge the two series could be made by Thursday.

http://torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2006/05/16/1582159-sun.html

TravelGal
05-16-06, 11:54 AM
Sigh. They've said all along that it would be announced before this year's "historic Indy" to bring some zing to the event.

It seems so sure............yet I remember Robin Miller saying CART and the IRL were disussing the wording of the press release on the merger in 2000 (?) and TG backed out at that moment.

My salt shaker is full.

Spicoli
05-16-06, 11:54 AM
:fingers crossed:

KLang
05-16-06, 12:06 PM
And this article (http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_ylt=And19bRGTC83FgLy7UYCuBjRv7YF?slug=irl04&prov=st&type=lgns) says not this month.

:rolleyes: IMO none of these guys has any idea what is really going on. I still think it won't happen. FTG will in the end say nope or demand to be king. Thank goodness KK appears to be pressing forward with Champ Car's future plans.

FTG
05-16-06, 12:08 PM
And Miller says it's not going to happen.

Someone's got to be right.

TKGAngel
05-16-06, 12:09 PM
Is everyone hanging onto their socks (or hollyhocks)? :gomer:

RusH
05-16-06, 12:12 PM
If it`s true, maybe it`s to get the press off there backs.
Then we could move on.... for another few months melting down about the possibility of having turdmobiles. :shakehead :p

NismoZ
05-16-06, 12:19 PM
Yeah, even I have been tipped to the pessimistic side. Mexican press says an announcement was supposed to have been made simultaneously at Monterrey and Indy but now they hear it won't be made for another two months. Add to that a vocal Roger Penske playing the blame game again, citing KK as the stumbling block before, and still, while singing praise for The League and it's direction. :shakehead (sounds like he was sent to set the stage for...something.)

FTG
05-16-06, 12:30 PM
Mexican press says an announcement was supposed to have been made simultaneously at Monterrey and Indy but now they hear it won't be made for another two months.

Wouldn't be the first time Mcnutty was a couple of months behind.

racer2c
05-16-06, 12:33 PM
Roger Penske: "I have said a number of times that we know we should get together," Penske said. "I was in Houston Thursday for the Porsche ALMS race and I talked to Dale Coyne, Carl Haas and some other people there. I don't get the feel there is a real interest in seeing it come together. They may talk about it, but I don't see them going beyond that."

Hmm, I'm sure that will get back to Tony. Subtle Captain, very subtle.

racer2c
05-16-06, 12:36 PM
Whenever Andretti talks about the two sides getting together, his eyes brighten and still has hope it may one day happen.

"I love this sport so much that I get emotionally involved but we also have a lot of skin in this game," Andretti said. "Look what it could be.

"Why can't it be that way?"

Ask your boss Mikey.

racer2c
05-16-06, 12:37 PM

He says that an announcment won't be made before this 500 or that the merger won't happen at all?

coolhand
05-16-06, 12:40 PM
TG keeps changing his mind everyday. Even if it is announced it is no guarantee.

KLang
05-16-06, 12:43 PM
Hmm, I'm sure that will get back to Tony. Subtle Captain, very subtle.

:laugh: I think Penske is just pissed that he isn't involved.

coolhand
05-16-06, 12:44 PM
:laugh: I think Penske is just pissed that he isn't involved.

I think he is pissed this is too late to keep toyota involved.

NismoZ
05-16-06, 12:56 PM
2c...that was a MARIO Andretti quote, not Michael. Beyond saying Coyne and Haas didn't seem to have much interest in merger Penske also suggested KK has to give a little to make it happen. (Yahoo Sports Ticker, Bruce Martin, May 15th.) He also says he is "trying to motivate people to make it come together. Tony brings more to the party than anyone else and he has to be understood." Mario's quotes were sincere, heartfelt and view Tony George, The I500 & Speedway and the fans as the big winners in a merger. Also the "unnamed ChampCar official" quoted in the Mexican press (El Norte, Monterrey) said the merger IS nearly complete but the 2 months were needed "to get the details right." Sounds like someone we know. Also said Panoz was the chassis and both Honda and Cosworth would provide the engines. The word turbo did not appear.

NismoZ
05-16-06, 01:07 PM
I believe those recent Penske quotes citing CC owners lack of interest in negotiations shows that he hasn't really adjusted to the idea that HE IS NOT INVOLVED in these negotiations, and neither are Coyne or Haas! He isn't used to being on the outside looking in and his reference to "doing what I can to bring the two sides together" and praise for The League and TG sounds more like a plea to FTG to not give in too much, or at all. Now that just pisses me off. Uh, shut up Roger. Remember? I think KK had Penske in mind when he was asking to be left alone with Tony to cut the deal.

FTG
05-16-06, 01:13 PM
He says that an announcment won't be made before this 500 or that the merger won't happen at all?

I believe Miller said merger in 2007 was unlikely, but I didn't see the show.

Spicoli
05-16-06, 01:22 PM
There is NO bigger ego in racing (and maybe the world) than the Cap'n. :shakehead

NismoZ
05-16-06, 01:26 PM
We hear everything from 2 months now to not at all. One site's rumor is saying things are going SO well we "could expect an announcement (this) Thursday! :eek: Sun, right? (or at least a letter of intent to merge) I see an Aug 1st deadline for anything to happen for '07. Didn't KK say that at some point?

KLang
05-16-06, 02:01 PM
I see an Aug 1st deadline for anything to happen for '07. Didn't KK say that at some point?

Yep, gotta firm up the race and TV schedule.

racer2c
05-16-06, 02:12 PM
2c...that was a MARIO Andretti quote, not Michael. ..

Then Mario should ask his son to ask his boss.

datachicane
05-16-06, 02:18 PM
There is NO bigger ego in racing (and maybe the world) than the Cap'n. :shakehead

Yep.

Hey Rog, you had a series where you got to call the shots, remember?
The one you sold out?

It's like listening to a guy complaining that the folks he sold his house to won't let him use the hot tub anymore. :rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
05-16-06, 02:21 PM
A letter of intent, with details to follow does make some sense.

Its hard to negotiate a schedule and TV deals (and endless other deals) with third parties unless they know for a fact you are indeed merging and are serious.

Any talk prior to that is just feeling things out, but way short of signing anything. Legally there wouldn't even be a new entity to sign up with.

Al Czervik
05-16-06, 04:01 PM
All this merger talk reminds me of the days leading up to Judge Otte's decision. If it is gonna happen, it'll happen, and I doubt we'll get the "scoop" from McNutty, let alone any internet poster,,,,,,,,media insider, or snowmobile salesman. We'll know it is official if/when the TG/KK press conference is called.

Although it would be fun to make up a wild-*** rumour and put it up on TF or CCF!

Spicoli
05-16-06, 04:09 PM
All this merger talk reminds me of the days leading up to Judge Otto's decision. If it is gonna happen, it'll happen, and I doubt we'll get the "scoop" from McNutty, let alone any internet poster,,,,,,,,media insider, or snowmobile salesman. We'll know it is official if/when the TG/KK press conference is called.

Although it would be fun to make up a wild-*** rumour and put it up on TF or CCF!

It's Otte, not Otto. :p

Skater_36
05-16-06, 04:09 PM

Its hard to negotiate a schedule and TV deals (and endless other deals) with third parties unless they know for a fact you are indeed merging and are serious.

Any talk prior to that is just feeling things out, but way short of signing anything. Legally there wouldn't even be a new entity to sign up with.

Good points. The letter of intent would also (hopefully) stir up some interest with television partners, advertisers and sponsors as well as fans, which could help build some momentum for the fully merged series.

There is a lot of hope and anticipation hanging on these negotiations. If this deal does not happen both sides stand to lose fans and sponsors that will simply walk away in disgust.

Al Czervik
05-16-06, 04:19 PM
It's Otte, not Otto. :p

"Oh yeah? Call the Chief of (the spelling) Police. I built his condo!"

Racing Truth
05-16-06, 05:48 PM

Or, you could be like Wilke, and be right no matter what! :gomer:

I would GUESS we'll know the veracity of the article tomorrow. If IMS/Champ Car post releases regarding a "significant/major/whatever press conference" on their websites, that would be a clue.

Not holding my breath, yet.

NismoZ
05-16-06, 08:01 PM
Yeah, the IRL VP/PR just said that Thurs. rumor is just not true. Still talking but very slow progress. No announcements scheduled.

dando
05-16-06, 10:22 PM
Perhaps FTG's ego rivals Cap'n Liverspots....or is that something else masked as ego (Napoleon complex)? :shakehead

-Kevin

cameraman
05-17-06, 02:12 PM
And now spyplanes is saying the whole thing has collapsed. :shakehead :rolleyes:

Fine, whatever, wgaf.

The GP2 races have been more fun to watch so far this year anyway.

NismoZ
05-17-06, 02:20 PM
Yep, RM thinks so too ("Waterlogged At Indy"-SPEEDTV) and it is a strong rumor making the rounds. A full field is said to have emboldened the IGS and Honda is backing him up. Honda wants NA, FTG wants "his" chassis and so on. Doesn't it sound like Rog just climbed on that (crap)wagon? So, what many would consider outrageous demands may soon be spun to make it look like KK ruins everything...again. :shakehead (Signing OUT until I know! :flame: )

Racing Truth
05-17-06, 02:30 PM
^^ If Marxie's latest "rumor" is correct, then, well, he's an utter tool. Two weeks ago, the idiot said it was "a done deal" w/ a Carb Day announcement. Now, if true, talks were nowhere near that settled, and the whole thing is off.

Nice going Mark. :shakehead

BTW: Tony's dumber than I thought if he's "emboldened" by the back end of this field.

Honda's motivations surprise me here though. Maybe they're trying to kill all of OW before switching to NASCAR?

When I read RM's piece, accurate though it is, I did get concerned.

Spicoli
05-17-06, 03:08 PM
:cry: Marxie believes anything. I have a link to prove itLink to Marxie being played like a fool. (http://champweb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=443&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=d2a761600744601bdf8e67007eb85873)

:cry:

Racing Truth
05-17-06, 03:27 PM
Whatchya hearin' Spic?

Spicoli
05-17-06, 03:36 PM
Whatchya hearin' Spic?

Nothing but DANICA DANICA DANICA! :laugh:

btw: I am not mexican.

coolhand
05-17-06, 05:34 PM
:cry: Marxie believes anything. I have a link to prove itLink to Marxie being played like a fool. (http://champweb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=443&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=d2a761600744601bdf8e67007eb85873) :

:confused:

Spicoli
05-17-06, 08:34 PM
:confused:

http://tinypic.com/esmedt.gif

Make sense?

stroker
05-17-06, 08:52 PM
2c...that was a MARIO Andretti quote, not Michael. Beyond saying Coyne and Haas didn't seem to have much interest in merger Penske also suggested KK has to give a little to make it happen. (Yahoo Sports Ticker, Bruce Martin, May 15th.) He also says he is "trying to motivate people to make it come together. Tony brings more to the party than anyone else and he has to be understood." Mario's quotes were sincere, heartfelt and view Tony George, The I500 & Speedway and the fans as the big winners in a merger. Also the "unnamed ChampCar official" quoted in the Mexican press (El Norte, Monterrey) said the merger IS nearly complete but the 2 months were needed "to get the details right." Sounds like someone we know. Also said Panoz was the chassis and both Honda and Cosworth would provide the engines. The word turbo did not appear.

You can boil this down into, "Kevin, you need to let Tony make some decisions, no matter how stupid they are..."

SurfaceUnits
05-19-06, 12:04 PM
So if the production of the DPO1 is still going ahead, what version: DPO1t or DPO1na(nominally assperated)?

trauma1
05-19-06, 12:20 PM

Make sense?
making friends again, :rofl:

pchall
05-19-06, 12:36 PM
So if the production of the DPO1 is still going ahead, what version: DPO1t or DPO1na(nominally assperated)?

If the car is supposed to appear publically at San Jose and be track tested before then, there wouldn't be time to do engine mount redesign other work for 3.0l Cosworths and Hondas and another gearbox... so Panoz-Cosworth 2.65t for 2007. And Tony George misses the boat again while trying to get his few remaining synaptic links to fire the same pathway twice in a row.

skaven
05-19-06, 01:07 PM

Yep... we just got "letter of intented" a couple of weeks ago. The company buying us won't finalize the deal until July 31st, but now they don't have to work out the merger details under a cloak of secrecy.

We can talk to customers and plan ahead much like you mentioned with the merged racing entity being able to approach sponsors, etc.

Ankf00
05-19-06, 01:42 PM

Make sense?

:rofl: pwn3d

Spicoli
05-19-06, 01:50 PM
:rofl: pwn3d

Even I don't know wtf that means. ;)

Insomniac
05-21-06, 01:01 PM
If the car is supposed to appear publically at San Jose and be track tested before then, there wouldn't be time to do engine mount redesign other work for 3.0l Cosworths and Hondas and another gearbox... so Panoz-Cosworth 2.65t for 2007. And Tony George misses the boat again while trying to get his few remaining synaptic links to fire the same pathway twice in a row.

Not just the mounts. Also need an intake which would be redesigning the chassis and having to redo all the tests.

Insomniac
05-21-06, 01:02 PM
There was also the rumor that the announcement would come at the first race weekend for both series after Indy. I'm with others, we'll know when we know.

FanofMario
05-22-06, 12:12 AM
Let's hope KKK knows more about merger talks than what the media is reporting. I also find it hysterical that this field of 33 would inbolden anybody to think they are in a position of power in dictating a sport. What an absolute joke of a field.