PDA

View Full Version : Indy: Birthplace of the rearview mirror

rabbit
05-15-06, 03:28 PM
So this is what Indy innovation has come to...
http://raceweather.homestead.com/files/TEMP/mirror.jpg

Opposite Lock
05-15-06, 03:34 PM
Those mirrors will never work.
:gomer:

devilmaster
05-15-06, 03:43 PM
yo! engineers.... pull out yer pocket calculators and give us some downforce numbers on those....... ;)

coolhand
05-15-06, 03:46 PM
I know that large curved surface will speed up the air on top. But I wonder why they stopped there and did not shape the bottom of the mirror.

RichK
05-15-06, 03:49 PM
The year: 2019.

"Why, I remember back in ought-six, ol' Penskey brought out the new dual-cavity mirror supports. The crowd went absolutely wild. The mechanics could hardly get to the car, with all the milling about by the throngs of fans and whatnot. Everyone had to see the new mirrors this year. They were so sleek, they really set the Penskey car apart from the other cars of the same brand, whatever that was. 'Course, that was back before this Georgetown Mall was here."

Andrew Longman
05-15-06, 04:42 PM
http://raceweather.homestead.com/files/TEMP/mirror.jpg

I take it the cut outs are so the driver can see through them. To my eyes it looks like perhaps there is glass/plexi in the cutouts. Makes sense or those holes would create a lot of turbulence.

These seem to be essentially the same elongated mirrors that were flush mounted on the car last year (and a bit like the ones NH was using) to get some center downforce, but they put them up into cleaner air.

Not really much worse that some of the silly aero twisty bits we've see stuck up here and there on F1 cars in the last 10 years, but I wonder what the tunnel time cost to figure that one out :shakehead

Sadly too it won't make an already butt ugly Dallara look any better.

But that is a kinda cool shot of Helio in the cockpit. (maybe that's because that's all of the car you can see)

pchall
05-18-06, 07:32 PM
Actually, rearview mirrors appeared on the coaches of the rich and famous in the 18th and 19th century to help the driver and footmen keep the rabble from trailing along behind and being obnoxious or just to keep the poor and starving out of sight.

Lizzerd
05-18-06, 09:00 PM
Every party needs a pooper. :D