question: is he bringing UPS with him?

jcollins28
05-14-06, 11:46 AM
"What can Yen do for you?"

Accipiter
05-14-06, 02:58 PM
DJ looks like a new millionair in that picture :laugh:

Millyenaire.

Sad to see him go, but Yates needs new blood anyway.

jcollins28
05-14-06, 03:06 PM
Millyenaire.

Sad to see him go, but Yates needs new blood anyway.

Sadly Yates needs a lot more then that.

NismoZ
05-14-06, 03:20 PM
I think Brown is part of the deal.

TKGAngel
05-14-06, 06:23 PM
There's an article in today's NYT, where a Roush higher-up hypothesizes that Toyota coming into the sport is going to drive down the cost of sponsorships, since Toyota's sponsors will pay a lower cost, forcing the rest of teams to lower their costs. I wonder where he would get an idea like that from? ;)

NismoZ
05-14-06, 08:45 PM
Wait a minute...drive down costs TO sponsors or OF sponsorships? Force teams to lower their costs? Isn't that a good thing? Does he mean Toyota teams will accept sponsors for less cost to the sponsor than other manufacturers can because Toyota will make up the difference with their deep pockets? I can understand that. Is there a rule against it? Do Ford, Chevy and Dodge all have a spending cap or something? Sounds like business as usual to me, Jack.

TKGAngel
05-15-06, 08:26 AM
Does he mean Toyota teams will accept sponsors for less cost to the sponsor than other manufacturers can because Toyota will make up the difference with their deep pockets?

Yes. Other teams are worried about not being able to maintain sponsorship spending levels, based on the rumors of Toyota offering lower costs. Basically, its the exact same thing that happened in the IRL.

nrc
05-15-06, 08:49 AM
Yes. Other teams are worried about not being able to maintain sponsorship spending levels, based on the rumors of Toyota offering lower costs. Basically, its the exact same thing that happened in the IRL.

And champ car, for that matter. A team without manufacturer support will no longer be able to get full value for a sponsorship because the sponsor can always go to a manufacturer supported team and get the same space for less.

NismoZ
05-15-06, 11:48 AM
Right, but in NASCAB there can't be THAT many sponsors able to simply choose to go to a mfg. supported team, can there? How many teams is Toyota likely to support? Could this worry have been a reason why 'CAB wanted to restrict the number of race teams one owner could field? I mean Jack already runs more cars than anyone else, doesn't he? Sponsor support must be a reason for that. How can he be upset if Toyota wants to support SIX teams to a high level? Complaining is one thing but restricting how much money an entrant can bring or scare up to be a winner is another. That's just one more aspect of the competition to get to the top, isn't it? I think it is interesting that the cry comes from the top, not the middle or bottom of the heap. I can think of only ONE reason DJ decided to go to a Toyota team and I imagine if Jack had wanted to go in that direction also he just might have been welcomed.

Accipiter
05-15-06, 08:02 PM
There's an article in today's NYT, where a Roush higher-up hypothesizes that Toyota coming into the sport is going to drive down the cost of sponsorships, since Toyota's sponsors will pay a lower cost, forcing the rest of teams to lower their costs. I wonder where he would get an idea like that from? ;)

First hand in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series.

Sean O'Gorman
05-15-06, 09:22 PM
I wish Roush and his shills would shut up about Toyota already. If it takes $15 mil to sponsor a top Cup team and Toyota makes it possible for 10, it just evens out the $20 mil that Roush charges. I'm just using arbitrary numbers here but you get my point.