View Full Version : stuff on Legge

G.
05-09-06, 03:47 PM
No, not the magazine.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3850077.html

May 9, 2006, 1:46AM
GRAND PRIX OF HOUSTON
Her own road
Like Indy driver Danica Patrick, Champ Car's Katherine Legge is hoping to make magazine covers for her wins, not her looks

By NEIL HOHLFELD
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Almost a year ago, Katherine Legge was at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, hoping that history would happen.

Like everyone else at the Indianapolis 500, Legge had her eyes on Danica Patrick. Late in the race, Patrick briefly took the lead and was on the verge of being the first woman to win the Indy 500.

Legge became caught up in the moment, on her feet and cheering for Patrick. But unlike the others in the crowd, Legge had a personal stake in Patrick's success.

Already, Legge had done something by May 2005 that Patrick had not — won a race in the Champ Car Atlantic Series.

Before moving to the Indy Racing League last year, Patrick raced in the Atlantic Series in 2003-04 without a win. Legge won her first Atlantic race in 2005 on her way to a three-victory season.

The world was going wild over Patrick, who combined skill, a touch of glamour and sex appeal to become an instant celebrity.

Though Patrick finished fourth at the Indy 500, she was the toast of the racing world. She was on the cover of Sports Illustrated and appeared on morning and late-night talk shows.

Legge? She remained that "other" female racer, the one winning races in the satellite series, the one who had not posed for men's magazines or been on David Letterman's couch. Legge was the woman who quietly went about the business of learning how to be a more adept driver.

"It was big what happened with Danica," said Legge, who at 25 is one year older than Patrick. "I watched every bit of it and was really happy for her and proud it was happening.

"But I'm trying to go down a different route. In a way, we're different. She's a very glamorous person, very stylish. I see myself as a race car driver. I don't want to be 'female race car driver.' I don't want to be cut breaks because I'm a woman."

That said, there seems to be little question that Legge was promoted from the Atlantic to the Champ Car series at least in part because she is a woman. She had scant experience and came into a Champ Car Series, where the drivers are gaining in experience and competence each season.

Kevin Kalkhoven, a co-owner of the Champ Car Series, also owns PKV Racing, the team that signed Legge to the Atlantic Series for the 2005 season and then promoted her.

Patient leadership
During the announcement of Legge's promotion in February, Kalkhoven said Legge showed she had the strength and endurance to handle a Champ Car. He also said he had no overblown expectations.

"I'm approaching it with some degree of reality, which is that this is not going to be an overnight success," said Kalkhoven. "This is going to be a steep learning curve. It's going to be hard ...

"The guys certainly are not going to give her one inch. There won't be any, 'After you, madam,' out on the race course."

After finishing third in the Atlantic points standings in '05, Legge is the first full-time female driver in series history. In her Champ Car debut, she finished eighth at Long Beach and expects improvement in Saturday's Grand Prix of Houston after learning quite a bit in her first race.

"I was surprised how different it was," said Legge. "Obviously, you have a lot more horsepower. You have 750 horsepower in a Champ Car as compared to 240 last year in the Atlantic car. It's a lot heavier.

"You have 'push to pass.' You have different pit strategies, saving fuel. You have twice the length of the races. You have pit stops. How can I forget pit stops? It's just a whole new element."

Low-key promotion
Legge and Patrick also have stark differences. While Legge respects Patrick, do not expect her to pose on a car hood in short-shorts the way Patrick did.

In the photos on her Web site, Legge's outfit consists of a racing uniform. It's what she is.

"I'm not making a big thing about being a female," said Legge. "Others might; media and fans. But I'm trying to downplay that. I want to be a driver who competes and wins, and that's it.

"I'm doing what I can. I'm getting attention (because I'm a woman). I understand. But I don't want to tie the coverage I'm getting to being a woman. It's all about results."

In fact, that's all Legge wants to talk about.

But as hard as she tries to keep gender issues aside, she is reminded in every media interview and nearly every fan conversation that she is a minority of one in the series.

"Being female has been a challenge — but it's been a benefit," said Legge, a native of Northampton, England, who now lives in Indianapolis. "I think it all evens itself out in the end. I don't think I'd be here right now if it wasn't for the fact that I was female, but I didn't get the opportunities early on in my career maybe I would have got if I was male."

She resists playing the gender card, saying it would keep her from being taken seriously.

"I think you just try, like I say, to be a driver and be serious, then you're not going to have it used against you. I keep banging away about the fact I want to be taken seriously as a race car driver. At the end of the day, that's how I want to be judged."

neil.hohlfeld@chron.com

Ankf00
05-09-06, 04:22 PM
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10449

:gomer:

rabbit
05-09-06, 04:33 PM
"stuff on Legge"

And here I thought the thread was going to say she was doing a photo shoot. :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
05-09-06, 05:09 PM
Her own road
Like Indy driver Danica Patrick, Champ Car's Katherine Legge is hoping to make magazine covers for her wins, not her looks
shouldn't that line read UNLIKE indy driver danical yada yada yada

Andrew Longman
05-09-06, 05:20 PM
shouldn't that line read UNLIKE indy driver danical yada yada yada

No, I think Danica would like to get on a cover for having won a race. She's just not too opposed to also getting on a cover for her looks. If it gives her an advantage in the business she will gladly take it.

If Legge want to market herself as the anti-Danica that lets her results speak for her, then I think that's a great idea too.