PDA

View Full Version : The Annual Baseball road trip - Cleveland Edition

devilmaster
05-08-06, 08:19 PM
so its the canuckle may24....

Looking for tips for cleveland (as I must sadly admit that I have never been :( )

Good places to stay, sights to see, etc....

Thanks in advance everyone :thumbup:

SteveH
05-09-06, 12:39 AM
The Flats, R&R HOF. Is Alice Copperstown still open? Great sports bar next to the stadium.

Napoleon
05-09-06, 06:04 AM
Steve, when is game time and who are they playing? You going with a bunch of friends?

Send me your regular e-mail address (I changed computers in the fall and may no longer have it) and I will give you a longer answer but Rock and Roll HOF would seem like a must. The Flats are dead but the Warehouse District rocks (its on the West edge of Downtown, before you go down the hill to the river). The town has many good resturants and staying just about any where downtown is OK. If I were you I would look at threads on the subject started for past CGP which contained a lot of good advice.

Sean O'Gorman
05-09-06, 09:03 AM
Where are you sitting?

Stu
05-09-06, 12:05 PM
so its the canuckle may24....

what game are you going to? may 24 the wigwammers are in minnesota.

devilmaster
05-10-06, 02:40 AM
Hey everyone.... To answer some quick questions before i head off to bed....

[edit] Wiki explains the weekend better than I can.....
Victoria Day (French: FĂȘte de la Reine) is a Canadian Statutory Holiday celebrated on the Monday on or before May 24 in honour of both Queen Victoria's birthday and the current reigning Canadian Sovereign's birthday.

This holiday is regarded as the beginning of the unofficial "summer season" in Canada, and is thus the weekend when many businesses, parks, etc., that operate during warm weather months, will open.

It is known colloquially as "May two-four weekend". The phrase has two meanings, the first is the fact that it usually falls around 24 May, and secondly, those who celebrate will often get together to drink beer (a two-four is a case of 24 bottles of beer). Note that the holiday may be referred to as "May two-four" even if it falls as early as May 18.

The basic sked for us right now is this - leave after work thursday night the 18th. We'll get into our hotel (keeping it relatively cheap with an airport one) that night and probably will just relax. Friday is sightsee and then hit pubs and bars friday night. Saturday is game day at Jacobs and assorted fun there. Sunday we'll daytrip to Erie PA for a Seawolves game, since they are the Tigers AA affiliate. Monday is sightsee out of cleveland stuff on the way home.

Seats at Jacobs I am not too sure about at the moment. My buddy rick is doing that.

Thanks to all who've responded....

chop456
05-10-06, 03:08 AM
I thought that everyone gathered on the 24th of May to sit in the sand and watch the fireworks display. Willows in the breeze, etc. :gomer:

Napoleon
05-10-06, 06:19 AM
Are you flying in? If not I would not stay at the airport unless it really is the cheapest place. If you drive just stay someplace out west in Westlake or Lakewood or Rocky River.

Stu
05-10-06, 07:51 AM
For Saturday's game:

Negro League Tribute, Paige/Doby Figurine Giveaway
We will celebrate the Negro League players, such as Satchel Paige who played for the Indians from 1948 - 1949. A post game concert featuring R&B music will take place at the Market Pavilion. Paige/Doby figurine giveaway.
All Fans

TKGAngel
05-10-06, 08:14 AM
The Flats, R&R HOF. Is Alice Copperstown still open? Great sports bar next to the stadium.

I agree. Alice Cooperstown in a great bar / restaurant. Fat Fish Blue also has pretty good food, as well.

Stu
05-10-06, 08:17 AM
GET CORNBREAD AT FAT FISH BLUE!

Napoleon
05-11-06, 07:15 AM
Saturday's game must be the one where they are going to dress up in the Cleveland Buckeye's uniforms while the Pirites wear the Homestead Gray's uniforns (that was something like the 48 Negro League World Series matchup) and a trailer will be outside with Negro League memorobilia in it. I was thinking of going downtown just for that.

KaBoom21
05-12-06, 03:50 PM
I thought that everyone gathered on the 24th of May to sit in the sand and watch the fireworks display. Willows in the breeze, etc. :gomer:
An obscure Rush reference. Nicely played.