PDA

View Full Version : Checkbook OPEN

Spicoli
05-08-06, 10:08 AM
this is hilarious. read between the lines. fill em up early to avoid the "distracting embarrassment" that is avoided by fTG's checkbook.

:rofl:

A flurry of activity has pushed the Indianapolis 500's field to a level not seen in years.

It appears there will be 33 car-and-driver combinations before official practice begins Tuesday.
Indy Racing League president Brian Barnhart couldn't remember the last time that happened.
"It eliminates (filling the field) as being an issue for the month," he said. "And that's an amazing feeling when I thought about it."
Among the recent deals that have come together or should today:
Thiago Medeiros at PDM Racing will drive a car acquired from Fernandez Racing. The Brazilian will take his rookie test today in the No. 18 Panoz and be a second-week participant.
Stephan Gregoire, a six-time 500 starter, will try to make the race for the first time since 2001 in a Panoz of Team Leader Motorsports, a new team with several partners, including Kent Baker, Cary Agajanian and Mike Curb. The No. 97 program will be led by veteran Greg Beck.
Airton Dare or Richie Hearn will be entered in a car owned by Sam Schmidt. Dare, a four-time Indy starter, is considered the leading candidate.
Cheever Racing has a second driver to announce, with Davey Hamilton, Roger Yasukawa and Max Papis as possibilities. Team owner/driver Eddie Cheever Jr., who raced a Grand Am sports car Sunday in Monterey, Calif., said it will be a second-week program and won't be confirmed until later this week.
The early commitments are driven by the fact Honda, the sole engine supplier, needed to know how many customers it would have for each week of practice. Honda has different prices depending on how much the team runs.
The last time the race had fewer than 33 starters was 1947.
l

nrc
05-08-06, 11:20 AM
It also keeps KK from having too much leverage as those niggling details are worked out.

rosawendel
05-08-06, 01:23 PM
how amazing a feeling can it be? i thought 33 was just a number....

cameraman
05-08-06, 01:30 PM
I saw headline that Mario Andretti was driving yesterday.

He can't be entered in the 500. Right?

It was just PR, right???

pfc_m_drake
05-08-06, 01:36 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet - but in the same segment on SpeedNews last night where Robin Miller mentioned the idea of the DP01 being on hold, he also made the comment that he believed that 11 or so of the cars in this year's field were being funded (either totally or in some form) by TG.

Last I checked, that meant that around 1/3 of the entries in the field for the greatest spectacle in racing have 'house' assistance.

I also have this vague recollection of somebody named Penske failing to qualify his team in 1995.

We sure have come a long way.

TKGAngel
05-08-06, 01:59 PM
I saw headline that Mario Andretti was driving yesterday.

He can't be entered in the 500. Right?

It was just PR, right???

He and Mikey and Marco drove the ceremonial opening laps. They supposedly dug a Mario car out of the museum for him to drive.

Spicoli
05-08-06, 02:02 PM
He and Mikey and Marco drove the ceremonial opening laps. They supposedly dug a Mario car out of the museum for him to drive.

Yup. It was the ONLY story of the day. :shakehead

Sad state of affairs indeed.

Spicoli
05-08-06, 02:04 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet - but in the same segment on SpeedNews last night where Robin Miller mentioned the idea of the DP01 being on hold, he also made the comment that he believed that 11 or so of the cars in this year's field were being funded (either totally or in some form) by TG.

Last I checked, that meant that around 1/3 of the entries in the field for the greatest spectacle in racing have 'house' assistance.

yep.

devilmaster
05-08-06, 02:06 PM
So we keep talking about this every year....

Are we going to put the Offcamber Motorsport team together and make a run at tony's checkboo...... ummm, i mean the milk and trophy, of course.

dando
05-08-06, 02:20 PM
Prolly more exciting than the race will be. :shakehead

-Kevin

RusH
05-08-06, 02:27 PM

...and the headline should have been champ cars return to Indy! :D

TKGAngel
05-08-06, 03:09 PM
Yup. It was the ONLY story of the day. :shakehead

Sad state of affairs indeed.

RM commented on that. Basically said that its a gorgeous day in Indy. Its the first day of practice, and there's only 400 people in the stands watching 6 cars go roundy-round. He commented that if Rookie practice were held on the Thursday, then practice could really open on Sunday with all the cars on the track. (or words to that extent).

Joelski
05-08-06, 03:32 PM
400 idots in one place... Six cars going around, blah-blah....

If people would have known about, that's all the USGP would have had too. :D

NismoZ
05-08-06, 04:20 PM
The ONLY story of the day? My local rag carried an AP piece this morning with photo of Danica, Danica, Danica. No mention of the Andrettis, merger, grid size, ...nothing else.

CART T. Katz
05-08-06, 04:24 PM
So we keep talking about this every year....

Are we going to put the Offcamber Motorsport team together and make a run at tony's checkboo...... ummm, i mean the milk and trophy, of course.

start and park baby :thumbup: :D

TKGAngel
05-08-06, 05:00 PM
The ONLY story of the day? My local rag carried an AP piece this morning with photo of Danica, Danica, Danica. No mention of the Andrettis, merger, grid size, ...nothing else.

There's an Indy ad in last week's SI. Ad copy mentions - in this order - Mikey, DANICA, Lil Al and Danny Wheldon. If I were Lil Al and Weldon, I'd be PO'd that I got 3rd or 4th billing to a driver who's sole marketable quality has been her femininity, not her on track record.

SteveH
05-08-06, 05:02 PM
There's an Indy ad in last week's SI. Ad copy mentions - in this order - Mikey, DANICA, Lil Al and Danny Wheldon.
Good for Wheldon, he's finally in fourth place. Maybe now he'll get the recognition he so deserves. :gomer:

Spicoli
05-08-06, 05:56 PM
TG paying for 11 yes ELEVEN cars....... :cry: :cry: :cry:

that gotta hurt.

Ankf00
05-08-06, 06:02 PM
are there any cute, single, non-coke addled girls in this family with access to the family funds? You know, just to satiate my curiousity. No, really... :D

Spicoli
05-08-06, 06:20 PM
are there any cute, single, non-coke addled girls in this family with access to the family funds? You know, just to satiate my curiousity. No, really... :D

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/photo/build_photo_ims.php?photo_id=37091&size=med

Ankf00
05-08-06, 06:31 PM
I wasn't talking about your target demographic, dude :gomer:

Turbodog
05-08-06, 06:46 PM
:laugh:

Cam
05-08-06, 06:47 PM
^^^ Not coke addled but well preserved in alchohol! Should be a match made in heaven for Ank! :gomer:

Ankf00
05-08-06, 07:05 PM
Though I remain an ardent proponent of "You can marry more than you can make in a lifetime," I do yet stringently adhere to the stipulation of "cute."

Now excuse me, I must withdraw to the water closet to http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gif

eiregosod
05-08-06, 09:20 PM
Paul Newman looks to be in better shape than mari.

Look at the list of driver's starting out this year.

The list reads like a blueprint for an "Indy Masters" series. Mikey, Unser jr, Cheever, Gregoire, Hearn....

I found a copy of TG's letter to the former IRL participants ;)

Dear racing Driver,

Our records show that you never won an Indy 500. I will always be greatful for your participation in the IRL and Indy 500 within the years 1996 to 2003. As my gift to you I offer you a free ride in the Indy 500. The race favorites (Penske, ganassi cars) will fall out of the race leaving the drivers who never wonned the race to have a chance to be part of tear-rendering television. The winner's circle TV spectacle will be led by pastor jack Arute, you may remember him from "When family owned tracks go bust"

Thank you for your time,

The loot will be slipped to you by courier,

The esteemed FTG.

Lizzerd
05-08-06, 10:35 PM
Paul Newman looks to be in better shape than mari.

Look at the list of driver's starting out this year.

The list reads like a blueprint for an "Indy Masters" series. Mikey, Unser jr, Cheever, Gregoire, Hearn....

I found a copy of TG's letter to the former IRL participants ;)

Dear racing Driver,

Our records show that you never won an Indy 500. I will always be greatful for your participation in the IRL and Indy 500 within the years 1996 to 2003. As my gift to you I offer you a free ride in the Indy 500. The race favorites (Penske, ganassi cars) will fall out of the race leaving the drivers who never wonned the race to have a chance to be part of tear-rendering television. The winner's circle TV spectacle will be led by pastor jack Arute, you may remember him from "When family owned tracks go bust"

Thank you for your time,

The loot will be slipped to you by courier,

The esteemed FTG.

P.S. But, I keep your prize money as a token of appreciation for your participation.

matthole
05-08-06, 10:46 PM
:gomer:

Cheever Racing has a second driver to announce, with Davey Hamilton, Roger Yasukawa and Max Papis as possibilities. Team owner/driver Eddie Cheever Jr., who raced a Grand Am sports car Sunday in Monterey, Calif., said it will be a second-week program and won't be confirmed until later this week.

So what happened to Enge? Did he grow a brain? Either way, good for him to not be there if that's the case.

Davey Hamilton? :saywhat: That's incredibly stupid.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5397/typicalearl9sz.jpg

Fio1
05-09-06, 02:19 AM
Too bad Tom Sneva and Gordon Johncock aren't coming back. I'm serious, I'd be pulling for one of those guys.

Hey, who thinks Arie sr will try and qualify? :eek:

Fio1
05-09-06, 02:20 AM

He had sponsorship last year, but there were no open seats....

mapguy
05-09-06, 06:49 AM

So what happened to Enge? Did he grow a brain? Either way, good for him to not be there if that's the case.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5397/typicalearl9sz.jpg

You can tell that Hamilton is really prepared for this years 497.5. Notice the close proximity of the ambulance in the background.

dando
05-09-06, 09:17 AM
You can tell that Hamilton is really prepared for this years 497.5. Notice the close proximity of the ambulance in the background.
They should have a pace ambulance for this farce. :gomer:

-Kevin

Opposite Lock
05-09-06, 12:45 PM
Where's Bob effin Cole?

Spicoli
05-09-06, 03:41 PM
Where's Bob effin Cole?

bob is still "hangin in there"

http://www.massretirees.com/members/sign0506.html

http://www.massretirees.com/photos/bobcole.jpg

Sign Of The Times
Bob Cole Donates Memento

MAY 2006 - Association member Bob Cole finally parted with a sign he stashed away a half century ago when the old Holbrook police station closed.
Cole, a retired Holbrook police officer, decided to donate the Police Dept. sign that hung in the window to town hall 50-years ago to the fire and police departments' recently constructed new digs.

Back 50-years ago, the department left town hall for another site. When the sign came down and was on its way to the trash, Cole said, "Don't throw it away," and took possession.

"We were in the back room of the water department," Cole recalled. "We would walk past people paying their water bills with a drunk." Cole was one of four members of the police force. If an incident happened and assistance was needed, the officer on duty would call an off-duty colleague.

"The new public safety facility was badly needed," said Cole. "I think the police officers and firefighters enjoy the connection to the old days that the sign represents."

Jervis Tetch 1
05-10-06, 12:59 AM
You can tell that Hamilton is really prepared for this years 497.5. Notice the close proximity of the ambulance in the background. :rofl: