PDA

View Full Version : Nurbergring

Hard Driver
05-07-06, 07:38 PM
I am wondering why I watch anymore.

Sure, great victory, but besides Montoya making one pass on track, was there any real excitement to that race? Yes, I know watching Schumacher crank out a couple of impressive in laps was the key to the race. But isn't a race supposed to included racing, as well as driving fast.

ZZZZZzzzzzz

I don't mean to sound like a whiner. But when was the last time there was a pass for the lead... on track?

Spicoli
05-07-06, 08:43 PM
Jock says the circuit sucks.

Ralf's wife makes 600 large a year.

Aguri sucks.

you have to look for the stories behind the stories. :p

eiregosod
05-07-06, 09:08 PM
better luck in Barcelona. :gomer:

Montreal cant come quick enough

Grunschev
05-07-06, 10:12 PM
I don't mean to sound like a whiner. But when was the last time there was a pass for the lead... on track?

What you really want to see (choose one or more):

a) At least one fast car/driver to sandbag during qualies so we can have faster cars behind slower ones.
b) Inverted fields so that faster cars start behind slower ones.
c) Eliminate qualifying altogether and set the starting grid by picking numbers from a hat.
d) Fast drivers to make errors so that slower drivers can pass them, to be passed later by the fast ones.

I'm sure we can brainstorm some others. But I have problems with all the above. What would be good about sandbagging during qualifying? Why penalize drivers who do well in qualifying? I suppose it might be interesting to see random fields, but that will make the race weekend a bit short. And why would you want to see the best drivers in the world mess up?

Unless, of course, you are really asking to go back to the days when there was no refueling and no tire changes. Let's just take the wings off and make them use tires from Pep Boys while we're at it.

Igor

Hard Driver
05-08-06, 07:20 AM

a) At least one fast car/driver to sandbag during qualies so we can have faster cars behind slower ones.
c) Eliminate qualifying altogether and set the starting grid by picking numbers from a hat.
d) Fast drivers to make errors so that slower drivers can pass them, to be passed later by the fast ones.

I'm sure we can brainstorm some others. But I have problems with all the above. What would be good about sandbagging during qualifying? Why penalize drivers who do well in qualifying? I suppose it might be interesting to see random fields, but that will make the race weekend a bit short. And why would you want to see the best drivers in the world mess up?

Unless, of course, you are really asking to go back to the days when there was no refueling and no tire changes. Let's just take the wings off and make them use tires from Pep Boys while we're at it.

Igor

I see your point, but that is not what I was suggesting. Without any of the hooky entertainment "enhancements" you mention, with regular old qualifying, we have had two races in a row where position 1 and 2 were close on the track. In both races the faster car was in 2nd place during the 2nd stint. In both races the faster car could not pass the slower car on the track.

The only difference is that 2 races ago, renault screwed up pit strategy and came in early rather than waiting to do fast in lap and try to pass in the pits. In this last race, Ferrari made a better pit strategy to pass in the pits.

Is this what F1 has come down to, a battle of pit strategy.

So I understand that the fast cars qualify up front and F1 is not the IRL with "side by side" racing for laps on end. But F1 should also not be devoid of all passing either.

Cam
05-08-06, 08:20 AM
Is this what F1 has come down to, a battle of pit strategy.

Chess on wheels. :rolleyes:

TrueBrit
05-08-06, 09:27 AM
That was an amazingly bad race....I dislike the track, especially the rinky-dink Mercedes Arena where turn one used to be...and what used to be a fairly decent track, all things considered, is now fairly rank...It just doesn't seem to 'flow'....

That being said it was interesting to see the pit strategies being played out, but when Buttmacher came out in front of Fred it was all over...

It means that Renault has real competition this year, and NOT from McClaren, so it will be interesting to see how quickly the Regie can raise their game.

This race, however, has a snooze-fest...

racer2c
05-08-06, 11:11 AM
I did something I rarely do...fastforwarded through it stopping every dozen laps or so and on the pit stops.

dando
05-08-06, 12:23 PM
I did something I rarely do...fastforwarded through it stopping every dozen laps or so and on the pit stops.
Same here. I about wore out my skip button. It ended up being background noise while I paid bills online. The driver comments before the race pretty much summed up the race. I would have rather watched some grainy footage of one of the races on the original circuit. :(

-Kevin

Insomniac
05-08-06, 01:59 PM

Igor

You can make the final starting position a lottery like the way they used to do the NBA draft. The better you do in qualifying, the higher your probability is of starting in P1. It's random and there is incentive to do better.

22 balls in the bin for the best qualifier, down to 1 ball in the bin for the worst. That gives Super Aguri racing a 1.186% chance of being on pole. :)

Andrew Longman
05-08-06, 02:39 PM
Three words from last year to answer your question... Japanese Grand Prix

The point situation was such that the drivers had no incentive to play it safe. And race they did.

Yesterday, only Montoya was pushing the issue and that's just his nature.

With only 2 points difference for P1 and P2 drivers just aren't going to go for it.

The cars and handling and speed are still amazing, but the need to change the incentives if you expect them to actually race each other.

oddlycalm
05-08-06, 04:58 PM
With only 2 points difference for P1 and P2 drivers just aren't going to go for it. Yep, no doubt Alonso did the right thing strategically, it just was very interesting to watch.

I agree it would be different were the incentives different. A 5pt bump from 2nd to 1st might generate some real fire... or not.

oc

JohnHKart
05-08-06, 09:24 PM
You know a race is a bore when it seems like more attention is devoted to the great old track behind it than the new track. A shame.

John

Cam
05-08-06, 10:12 PM
You know a race is a bore when it seems like more attention is devoted to the great old track behind it than the new track. A shame.

John

I swear Varsha said Nordschleife more than he said Nurberg.... :rolleyes:

Dr. Corkski
05-08-06, 10:52 PM
It was a boring race because Schumacher won and #2 got his arse handed to him again. :cry:

Rinse, repeat, cycle. :gomer:

Mike Kellner
05-09-06, 03:54 PM
As I have said in the past, get rid of all chicanes, have longer straights, fewer sections of endless left right, more ground effects, smaller wings, and slick tires, and the racing will improve.

As long as you race GP cars on go-cart tracks, you will have boring races. They should go back to the old track. Safetyize the worst turns and have a real race. They have taken all the character out of the tracks. Small wonder the racing on them sucks.

I was falling asleep at several points.

mk