PDA

View Full Version : Tony claims control not up for discussion

nrc
05-06-06, 02:59 AM
"I don't need others who don't know what we're about telling us what to do," George said. "Last June at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was a good example of what can go wrong when you're not in charge. Sometimes having influence isn't quite enough."

http://www.ibj.com/topstories.asp?A=17984

So the guy who single-handedly destroyed the sport that he claimed to be out to save doesn't need anyone to tell him what to do. Right. I hope this is bluster. Tony George has proven that he's not competent enough to control anything.

EDwardo
05-06-06, 03:12 AM
"He said he aimed to keep control of the open-wheel series the Indianapolis Motor Speedway"

Isn't control of IMS exactly what he had before concocting the IRL? So he appears willing to accept what he already had. What a moron.

Ziggy
05-06-06, 03:25 AM
IBJ = Lame

more propoganda for the Lemming Faithfull. Nice quotes, ever hear of these guys? Where do they live and do business?

nuff said.

ps - advance warning, Spicoli will no doubt be on here sometime in the next day or two, knowing the entire deal. :gomer:

is danica still pregnant??? :rofl:

nrc
05-06-06, 04:06 AM
"He said he aimed to keep control of the open-wheel series the Indianapolis Motor Speedway"

Isn't control of IMS exactly what he had before concocting the IRL? So he appears willing to accept what he already had. What a moron.
You truncated their terrible sentence.

He said he aimed to keep control of the open-wheel series the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which his family owns, is involved in.
I hope Ziggy's right and it's just bluster to sooth the ego. Maybe the IRL will continue to sanction Indy the way USAC used to.

nrc
05-06-06, 04:07 AM
Partially :gomer:

Kiwifan
05-06-06, 04:17 AM
You beat me to it boss, as you always do. :) On both counts. ;)

Sounds like interesting times ahead. If a merger means I get to see Champ Cars on TV again and the Dickhead has no real control other than said IMS then I guess I'll go for it. Oh, if any of you think I'll watch a merged series that includes their "butt ugly" cars you don't know me. I'm not a hater like some but the very thought of those things racing just does nothing for me.

Long live Champ Car!

Rusty.

Where you been hiding Ziggy???

Spicoli
05-06-06, 08:04 AM
IBJ = Lame

more propoganda for the Lemming Faithfull. Nice quotes, ever hear of these guys? Where do they live and do business?

nuff said.

ps - advance warning, Spicoli will no doubt be on here sometime in the next day or two, knowing the entire deal. :gomer:

you need to take your medicine EVERY day. :o

Racing Truth
05-07-06, 02:40 PM
Devil's Advocate (for the article, not TG) time:

Does anything in the article leave out KK SHARING control with TG? Not really, and besides, I get the impression that the two are, more or less, seeing eye-to-eye in terms of direction of the sport, so Tony wouldn't feel as if he's ceding control to an unknown.

I'm guessing the 12/6 is bunk. Perhaps its 12 ovals, 6 r, 6 s, or something like that. Either way, I'd submit that the schedule, say, 5-7 yrs. from now, might be quite different. Things (like contracts) will settle out over time.

Carb Day might prove fascinating.

BTW: For what VERY LITTLE it's worth, Marxie says it is 50-50 control.

SteveH
05-07-06, 02:53 PM
So Tony is saying had he been in control and there was a serious safety concern, he would go ahead and have them compete anyway? Why would anyone want to take control away from Tony at his own track is beyond me. Control of the series is something else entirely.

Spicoli
05-07-06, 05:21 PM
So Tony is saying had he been in control and there was a serious safety concern, he would go ahead and have them compete anyway? Why would anyone want to take control away from Tony at his own track is beyond me. Control of the series is something else entirely.

TG is delusional.

Re-hashed 5,000 times, what happened at the USGP was what SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED.

Wtf does fTG think should have happened?

1. Put Danicle in a car?

2. Set up some cones on Turn 13 to slow 'em down?

3. What ever fat slob Foit says to do?

4. Another line?

5. Make everyone run B-stones?

6. Run the race the other direction (and put the engines up front where they belong in the first place)?

7. Put the drivers in crapwagon Lites? (MipSies)

8. Tell BE to pack it in.

9. Go **** himself?

10. WGAF.

(sorry, on a roll)

But wtf was supposed to happen? I'd LOVE to hear the answer from the Gomerati fithful. :gomer:

nrc
05-07-06, 06:42 PM
You beat me to it boss, as you always do. :) On both counts. ;)

You have to understand that your tin-foil hat is only effective against aliens in outerspace. It has no affect on those of us reading your mind using the magnetic resonance of the earth's core.

Jervis Tetch 1
05-07-06, 08:30 PM
As always TG is a joke. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
05-08-06, 09:22 AM
"George and Kalkhoven agreed to meet separately in late April with Zak Brown, president of locally based motorsports marketing firm Just Marketing, to get a feel for what the sponsorship climate would be for a merged IRL/Champ Car series."

No mention of Gene Simmons? :gomer:

Cam
05-08-06, 09:50 AM
"George and Kalkhoven agreed to meet separately in late April with Zak Brown, president of locally based motorsports marketing firm Just Marketing, to get a feel for what the sponsorship climate would be for a merged IRL/Champ Car series."

No mention of Gene Simmons? :gomer:

He needs to be jettisoned along with all the other irrelevant baggage when this deal goes down....

mueber
05-08-06, 11:16 AM
Tony George is the Michael Jackson of auto racing: living in a fantasy world he has enough money to create, surrounded by sycophants, out of touch with reality. All of which means that the number one goal of Champ Car is not to merge but to prevail.

Rocketdoc
05-08-06, 09:25 PM
"One issue George said would not be up for discussion was control. He said he aimed to keep control of the open-wheel series the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which his family owns, is involved in."

And this is exactly why I will no longer give a sheet about a merged series.

I won't bother with anything that has Tony George wrapped into it.

eiregosod
05-08-06, 09:31 PM
Imagine what Mari was thinking when she let Tony become the president of IMS:

"he can't f-- this up "

look att he field for the Indy 500. It's a cruel joke. i'd watch Aj Foyt do 200 laps around IMS than watch this years race. That has to be the weakest grid for that race for many years.

FTG
05-09-06, 08:17 AM
Imagine what Mari was thinking when she let Tony become the president of IMS:

"Even though I know he'll f it up, if I do this for him, maybe I'll feel less guilty about my boyfriend shooting his father."

chop456
05-09-06, 08:23 AM
:laugh:

Mike Kellner
05-11-06, 09:40 AM
We get these "Merger" stories every year. Everyone knows the IRL 500 sucks, and merger talks exist to give the press a story other than the empty seats and short field. As soon as it is June, there will be no need for merger talks.

When ChampCar starts negotiating with Mari, that is when I'll take it seriously.

mk

PS: And no, I don't have any interest in a merged series that is TonyWagons and 2/3 NASCAR ovals plus a few of our best road races. I'd rather watch F1. At least it is interesting crappy racing.

Kiwifan
05-11-06, 02:26 PM
Where have you been mk? Been a bit quiet without you lately. ;)

Take care,

Rusty.

Mike Kellner
05-11-06, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the interest, I have been busy, and not posting much anywhere.

I was looking at the calendar today and it hit me that there used to be a big race in May. I wondered where it had gone, so I stopped in.

I still watch most F1 and CC races, just too busy with real life to post all the time.

mk

Kiwifan
05-11-06, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the reply Mike. I miss guys like you, DaveL, 'banger, Racefamily man and dozens more poking that big stick at Mr George and his cronies. I think a lot of us have discovered a life besides the Internet. ;)

Take care brother and don't give up the good fight, we will win. Promise. :) Spicoli told us so! :)

Rusty.

nissan gtp
05-11-06, 07:46 PM
.... just too busy with real life to post all the time.

mk

oddly, my posting is getting in the way of real life :rofl:

Mike Kellner
05-11-06, 07:49 PM
oddly, my posting is getting in the way of real life

Believe it or don't; that has happened to me once or thrice. :D

mk

extramundane
05-11-06, 08:30 PM
oddly, my posting is getting in the way of real life :rofl:

How much real life is there to have in Dahlgrenville? ;)

nissan gtp
05-11-06, 08:55 PM
How much real life is there to have in Dahlgrenville? ;)

not so much, that's why I like it here :p