PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Tractors

nrc
05-06-06, 12:45 AM
Ok, so the new yard is almost an acre and I'd rather not spend 3 hours every week mowing so sooner or later I'm going to need a lawn tractor.

I don't want to spend a bunch of money but I'm looking for something rugged since we do have some rough areas on the property. We also have lots of trees, so I'm thinking of a 42 inch deck at the most. Any advice?

Classic Apex
05-06-06, 12:46 AM
John Deere LT160.

Worth every penny.

:cool:

devilmaster
05-06-06, 01:12 AM
You really need to ask? ;)

http://www.countax.com/Williams/assets/images/Header.gif

http://www.countax.com/Williams/assets/images/MainLeft.jpg
http://www.countax.com/Williams/assets/images/HomeText.gif

http://www.countax.com/Williams/Default.htm

SteveH
05-06-06, 01:27 AM
Richard, go natural dude. Go green, save the environment.

http://sucs.swan.ac.uk/~cmckenna/ttff/butser/sheep.jpg

:gomer:

KLang
05-06-06, 08:28 AM
John Deere LT160.

I started out with the LT133 which was OK but I wanted something bigger so I traded in to a LX280 last year. Awesome machine. But for 2006 JD changed their line-up. Now they have the 100 series some of which can be had at Lowes and Home Depot or the X series. I've had no real problems with either I've owned and the service from my dealer has been excellant.

Edit to add: It currently take me about an hour to mow my acre. Switching from a 38" to a 48" deck saved me almost a half hour.

EDwardo
05-06-06, 08:40 AM
http://www.probotics.com/images/bigmow-lawnmower.jpg

"Have a few acres to mow? The BigMow Robotic Lawnmower by BelRobotics will keep up to 5 acres maintained without an operator"
"A Robotic Marvel
Through the use of sonar and touch sensors, BigMow randomly navigates the lawn area and avoids obstacles in its path. Setting the unit on "systematic" will cause it to to mow in a reducing rectangle pattern that reverses when complete."
http://www.probotics.com/allergy-relief.htm

:eek:

devilmaster
05-06-06, 10:30 AM
Richard, go natural dude. Go green, save the environment.

{IMAGE}

Yeah, but you'll never get Cam off your lawn........ ;)

Ziggy
05-06-06, 12:21 PM
nrc, I went through this same scenario last year. Right now Im restoring my old tractor. This was caused by it swallowing a valve going across the back yard! I had to do something quick. I did alot of research

Every tractor you can buy at Lowes, HomeDepot etc are made by the same company. To get into a really quality machine you have to spend over 2500 bucks. I stewed over purchasing a Simplicity, but could not justify 3200 dollars on a very, very nice machine. They make the best for home use IMO.

I checked into zero turns, not practicle for my situation. (I have 3/4 acre)

I ended up with a Cub Cadet 1042 with grass catcher for out the door 1800. It has a 19 hp Kohler. It is a hydrostatic drive. So far, so good. It took me a while to warm to the hydrostatic drive, it has a gas pedal, that's it. I mow the lawn one day, and vaccume it the next with the bagger. It's working much better this way rather than try to unclog the chute everyother time.

What to look for when buying

Cast Deck, preferably with clean out system
Briggs offers two types of motors, check their website out. Stay away from the cheaper ones (heritage and something else) one has a steel cylinder liner, this one you want.
Dont get the battery under the seat.
Look for an engine with spin on oil filter, with easy access. (kohler is great)
serviceble air filter
A real fuel tank, this day with gas so high, dont go dribbling gas all over your drive way.

Im almost done with my restored tractor. It's painted in Indy Colts theme. Im going to sell it. Every bolt in it is brand new. I rebuilt the engine and the deck. Im in the process of putting the deck back up under it,. just popped in here to see what was going on with the Internet.

call me if need be. I think John Deere's are junk personally.

Warlock!
05-06-06, 12:24 PM
Just for giggles, go check out Kubota. I've had mine for 18 years (seriously), and it was 3-4 years old when I bought it. I know they cost a chunk o' change when they're new, but mine still mows like it oughtta. And the sumbish is bulletproof... diesel motor (mine's a G5200 hydrostat), 48" deck, I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 hp. It's been mowing approx 2 acres for the last 20+ seasons.

When (if) mine ever finally decides to take a sh**, I'm not gonna look at anything else.

Oh... and I agree w/ Zig aboot the John Deere. Never been a fan. :shrug:

KLang
05-06-06, 12:47 PM
A little snippet from Consumer reports:

Opt for some Toro and Troy-Bilt models at Home Depot and Lowe's, and you're really getting a tractor that's built by MTD and shares the same design and parts as the company's Cub Cadet, Yard Machines, and Yard-Man models. All three of these MTD brands have been repair-prone in our surveys, though we lack reliability data for Toro and Troy-Bilt and don't know how they'll be affected.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/Special/ProdSelect/Reliability/lawntractors.gif

Classic Apex
05-06-06, 01:50 PM
Now they have the 100 series some of which can be had at Lowes and Home Depot or the X series.

If you want the real John Deere product, never ever buy it from the Lowe's, Home Depot's, etc...

Yes they are John Deere products, however they are not built with the same quality. Example, the wheel bushings/bearings...you get cheap plastic ones at the Lowe's, etc... They're made cheaper to be more affordable at those types of stores.

If you want the real thing, go to a dealer.

KLang
05-06-06, 01:58 PM
Yes they are John Deere products, however they are not built with the same quality. Example, the wheel bushings/bearings...you get cheap plastic ones at the Lowe's, etc... They're made cheaper to be more affordable at those types of stores.

If you want the real thing, go to a dealer.

I completely agree but it depends on how much nrc is willing to spend. I believe the John Deere dealers also carry some of the Home Depot models. I prefer buying from the dealer either way, as I said my dealer has been great.

cameraman
05-06-06, 02:16 PM
I imagine they are quite expensive but the University runs a few of these all day, every day...

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/GC/media/images/series/ztr/mini/727a_402001_2col.jpg

Joelski
05-06-06, 07:42 PM
Spendy, but practical:
http://www.bobcatturf.com/products/ztm/fastcat/images/product.jpg

36" cut and goes like stink :thumbup: . Kiss teh stupid poosh mower buh-bye. We have the 61" ZT 225 and I only have to run the weedeater a little bit when I'm done cutting.

oddlycalm
05-06-06, 09:51 PM
Facing the same issue 15yrs ago we re-landscaped and planted most of the place to large plantings that don't require any maintenance, most of the rest to bark dust, and have around 1500 sq. ft. of turf which is enough to look nice around the house and give people a place to lay under the trees after they eat too much bbq... You can cut that much turf in a few minutes with a small mower and the place looks a lot better as well. If you plant it yourself the plant stock shouldn't cost any more than a tractor and will last pretty much forever. The giant rhodies, azaleas and English laurel that we have grows just as well there.

Or, just buy a couple goats and some tethers and move them around every day. They eat tall weeds as well...

oc

nrc
05-07-06, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, folks, I crawled around some tractors at Home Depot yesterday since they have both Cub Cadet and John Deere. I'll probably buy from a dealer if that's the way I go, but I didn't want to hassle with a salesman just to do some looking.

The CC definitely shares a lot of parts with the Toros, but the Yardman stuff is much cheaper. Folded sheetmetal axle - yeah, that's gonna hold up.

All the decent tractors have cast iron front axles. The front end on the CC looks kind of like a '30s roadster with all its grease fittings and ball joints. Maybe that's why it appeals to Ziggy. :)

I'm leaning toward the JD 125. The CC 1042/1045 are still in the mix and I'll probably crawl around some Craftsman stuff before I decide.

The JD really looks better put together overall. Maybe it's perception, but fit and finish appears better and little details like an extra fold on the rear attachment point to add strength score points in my mind.

Another point for the JD is the B&S V-twin engine, which is supposed to be a bit more smooth and quiet than the one-banger in the others. Any experience with that?

The CC looks rugged, but maybe a bit more rough than the JD. The main thing about the CC is that it's got a longer warranty than the JD. Wheelsports here in C'bus sells them both, so they could probably talk me into either one.

Sears also sells a 42" mower with the B&S V-twin in it. It will be interesting to see if they're related.

rabbit
05-07-06, 06:56 PM
I sold lawn mowers at Sears several years ago. Most of the Craftsman tractors are built by American Yard Products. (Contrary to what a lot of people think, MTD does not build Craftsman tractors.) In my experience there, the AYP models were very reliable. If you get a salesperson who knows their stuff, they'll be able to tell you which ones are AYP-made (avoid ones that aren't). Definitely go for one with the cast-iron front axle. And I agree with Ziggy on the battery under the seat thing. IMO, Craftsman is probably the best value in a tractor. (Skip the maintenance agreement, though.)

G.
05-07-06, 11:38 PM
This post is going to be near-about worthless.

When I moved into the new house (4 yrs. ago), I was at a Sears HW store. I was looking, just LOOKING, at some Craftsman mowers (push). In the space of 3 minutes, two guys said, basically, "You're not thinking of buying one of those are you?" Separately. They weren't together.

One was there BC he spun the shaft and they wouldn't replace the shaft. They told him that he must have hit a rock or stump. His claim that he didn't fell on deaf ears. These were strangers, telling me to stay away.

I don't do Craftsman, 'cept for hand tools, BC of this, and a few other reasons.

YMMV.

nrc
05-08-06, 12:32 AM
One was there BC he spun the shaft and they wouldn't replace the shaft. They told him that he must have hit a rock or stump. His claim that he didn't fell on deaf ears. These were strangers, telling me to stay away.

I mowed stumps, bricks, limbs... anything, with my old Craftsman. If it was in the yard it got mulched. Well, ok, I went around the bird feeder, the shed and a couple of large trees. That thing held up through 15 years of abuse and I'm still using it to beat the grass in half at the old place. I'm embarrassed to say how few times I changed the oil in that mower. :o

Maybe I got lucky or maybe they've gone to pot since then. I guess I'll find out since I got a Craftsman self-propelled last summer when we got the new place hoping that would be sufficient.

rabbit
05-08-06, 08:43 AM
Souns like more of a problem with Briggs & Stratton (or Tecumseh, or whomever built the engine), not Craftsman. I learned very quickly when I worked at Sears that the customer is not always right. Some examples:
1- Customer complained that his new mower wouldn't run. A quick check by a service tech uncovered a quart of oil in the gas tank and gasoline in the crankcase. :saywhat:
2- Customer complained that his new mower was junk because it quit running after just 30 minutes of use and wouldn't restart because the pull cord was stuck. Service tech said there wasn't a drop of oil in the mower. (BTW- the "Add oil before using" tag was still attached to the starter rope.) :gomer:
3- Customer complained that his new mower ran rough and stalled often. Service tech found kerosine in the gas tank. :rolleyes:

Moral of the story? If you know how to take care of a mower, a Craftsman should last you a long time. But there are a lot of idjuts like these three that swear to this day that Craftsman is junk.

Sears biggest problem, though, is that it continues to use junk maufacturers to build the opening price point models, rather than letting AYP build everything. Then, when people have a bad experience with an OPP model, they lump all Craftsman products together.

KLang
05-08-06, 09:31 AM
Another point for the JD is the B&S V-twin engine, which is supposed to be a bit more smooth and quiet than the one-banger in the others. Any experience with that?

When I upgraded last year I went from a one cylinder Kohler to a Kawasaki V-twin. The new engine is smoother, quieter and easier to start. OTOH the new tractor was much more expensive so I don't know how much the number of cylinders has to do with it.

Mr. Toad
06-12-06, 08:18 PM
What are you after,

comfort

http://www.theopeningdrive.com/Images/Photos/69.jpg

or speed?

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/PMX0405TW041-lg.jpg

nrc
06-13-06, 10:25 AM
:)

I think I've pretty much decided on the JD 125 or 135. Unless I go to the dealer and they talk me into something else. :)

KLang
06-13-06, 11:28 AM
:)

I think I've pretty much decided on the JD 125 or 135. Unless I go to the dealer and they talk me into something else. :)

They've got a 12 months no money down, no payments deal going on now for the X300 series. ;)

racermike
06-13-06, 12:06 PM
http://www.gizmag.com/watermark.php?p=5322_7030635851.jpg

The world's fastest lawnmower - 990cc and 15mph

March 7, 2006 The Dixie Chopper Xtreme is the world’s fastest lawnmower. It has a 990cc 33-hp engine with the capability to mow grass at 15mph. Given it can take either a 60 or 72 inch cut, that’s a lawnmower capable of mowing a football field in under ten minutes or turn 8.7 acres of grass into lawn every hour all day. Each year in the United States, there are nearly two million ride-on lawnmowers sold, and in recent years the ride-on mower market has shifted from primarily professional turf care to now more than 60% consumer. At the outer edge of the professional market though, sits the US$10,000 Dixie Chopper Xtreme and the reputation it is building is enabling the company to sell high spec lawnmowers to consumers with lots of lawn.

KLang
06-13-06, 12:18 PM
15mph? I think I would end up airborne with some of the ruts and bumps in my yard. :eek: :laugh:

nrc
07-22-06, 09:51 PM
And the winner is: http://images.lowes.com/product/759936/759936699054.jpg
John Deere 135. 22HP Vtwin, 42in deck. Purchased from a dealer who does the service themselves. Should be here next Tuesday. RaceGrrl goes away for a day and I go nuts with the credit card. ;)

devilmaster
07-22-06, 09:53 PM
RaceGrrl goes away for a day and I go nuts with the credit card. ;)

She wanted and got her pool, now you got your toy. ;)

Opposite Lock
07-22-06, 10:11 PM
And the winner is:
John Deere 135. 22HP Vtwin, 42in deck. Purchased from a dealer who does the service themselves. Should be here next Tuesday. RaceGrrl goes away for a day and I go nuts with the credit card. ;)

Those mirrors will never work. :shakehead

SteveH
07-23-06, 12:31 AM
And the winner is: http://images.lowes.com/product/759936/759936699054.jpg

Git R Dun (http://www.letsmow.com/states/oh.html)

Lizzerd
07-23-06, 01:08 AM
Git R Dun (http://www.letsmow.com/states/oh.html)

Damn... you beat me to it.

G.
04-17-07, 03:02 PM
So, way back when, when Honda didn't have an F in front of them, I bought a HarmonyII self-propelled mower, HRT series. Real happy with it. Support a real racing series, all good.

Then the transmission starts to leak earl. The good news is that in the last 3 years, the oil leak has stopped.:laugh: (no oil left in it)

I look into getting it fixed. The trans is not serviceable. Whole unit needs replacement.

Find out that it's pretty much a given that the trans will go.

Cheapest fix $170. Biggest is about $270.

The thing is a bear to push, and I'm not confident it would help to just rip the gears out of it.

Options: Pull the pan, fix the leak, and pour some sort of heavy lube into it (would have to drill a fill point, I think).

Use til it dies, then build a gokart with the engine.

Sell it to some poor ***.

Any good ideas for a replacement unit?

FHonduh!:flame: POS.:mad:

Wheel-Nut
04-17-07, 03:19 PM
Isn't it about time for g. to start with the yard work? I have one of these waiting for my kids when they get old enough!!

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cleanairgardening_1942_8510417

KLang
04-17-07, 03:59 PM
Isn't it about time for g. to start with the yard work? I have one of these waiting for my kids when they get old enough!!

Better be carefull, someone will call childrens protective services on you. ;)

Al Czervik
09-26-11, 02:58 PM
21 y.o. Wheel Horse is starting to wear out (quoted ~$800 parts & labor to put right). Any further recommendations / brands to avoid?

nrc
09-27-11, 03:34 AM
The John Deere 135 that I bought after starting this thread originally is going strong and largely trouble free. I've replaced a couple of belts for the mower deck, a couple of fuel filters, and a couple of mower blades that I've bent by trying to mow stumps. Other than that, just routine maintenance.

Hard to believe I've had this tractor for five years now. I've gotten more use out of it than I really expected and it's held up very well so far. Knowing now how much use I would get out of it, if I were buying today I would seriously consider moving up to an X300 series.

Ziggy
09-27-11, 07:57 AM
After cutting my 3/4 acre lawn in the shadows of the Speedway for four years, I bought a home out in the sticks with almost 2 acres.

I knew I would have to pull some heavy maintaince on the Cub Cadet. I removed the mower deck and all it's idlers. These are fabricated units and non serviceable. I carefully pried the seals out of the bearings and greased them with a needle adapter. (the trick is it does not take a lot of grease) I replaced the bearings on the spindels that actually support the blades. Above the deck is the system which drives the hydro unit at the rear. This had some rather crude bushing/diameter set ups which I used axel grease for all rotatings movements. I also cleaned out the fan which cools the hydro unit.

Greased all wheel bearings and front axel pivot points

Cleaned up all wire looms with zip ties as they had somehow grown from their original lenght?

Of course I cleaned the deck of all debris

I have almost 150 hours on this machine and it still works like a champ. I have always used a battery caddy and I have only had to buy one battery for it. the Kohler engine is a Bad Mo Fo fo' sure

Ziggy

KLang
09-27-11, 08:29 AM
The LX280 I bought in the beginning of 2005 is still running great. I do send it to the dealer for maintenance once a year. They have had to replace the odd belt or pulley but nothing major so far.

racer2c
09-27-11, 09:57 AM
My 3 year old Husq w/ 21hp B&S is 'meh'. Its a 'mower' class, not a 'tractor' class. other than oil, fuel filter, belts there are no owner maintenance that the manufacture recommends or even allows for i.e. non adjustable idlers!! The trans started slipping at the beginning of the summer. I replaced the "motion belt", still slipped. Hit the innerwebs to find the "hydrostatics" in those machines are notorious for getting air in the hydraulics and "slipping". Of course they are non serviceable! Mysteriously it stopped slipping after a few more uses. Go figure.
When it comes time for a new one, I'm getting a model that allows more serviceable parts (if one exists in a 'mower' unit).

TrueBrit
09-27-11, 11:13 AM
Yeah, but you'll never get Cam off your lawn........ ;)

:rofl::D:rofl:

dando
09-27-11, 11:41 AM
This thread needs more Benny Hill.

PFkJ_GWFFoU

or perhaps...

7CuC9zxWZBA

-Kevin

nrc
09-27-11, 01:23 PM
After cutting my 3/4 acre lawn in the shadows of the Speedway for four years, I bought a home out in the sticks with almost 2 acres.

Wait. What? Is it true that :tony: bought your old place and is lying in wait, ready to make his triumphant return?

Anyway, there's probably more demand for parking on Memorial Day weekend at your new place. :gomer:

Ziggy
09-27-11, 04:29 PM
I don't miss it at all. I held down the fort for 19 years over there. Indy had better choices for dinning and shopping, but the trade off has several up's.

It's hard to believe that I only got from 1992 until the 1995 races. I was fortunate to be granted a leave of absence for the month all four of those years and got to stooge on a team.

This year, 2011, was the first year since 1966 that I did not set foot on the grounds of IMS.

back on to the mower deck. The idlers on your deck are a common pressed steel item (the shiev) which they trap a cheap bearing in a cavity and then rivet the two halfs together. When they go bad, it's rather bad. To keep ahead of the game you can visit Tractor Supply (or any other farm type store online) and buy a set, totally new. I priced them this spring and they were only thirteen dollars each. If your tractor is more than four years old I would look into it. You do pull the deck out from under it and preform maintenance don't you?

and always, Fark the IRL :gomer:

nrc
08-21-17, 02:05 AM
Mega bump.

The starter on the JD made a terrible noise today when I started it to put it away after I mowing the front lawn and gassing it up. I figured that I'd better go ahead and do the back yard since it might not start again when I shut it down.

Sure enough, I stopped it to mow the bank behind the pool with a push mower and it wouldn't restart when I was done. The starter is whirring but not engaging. My guess is that the terrible noise I heard was the plastic teeth breaking off the starter gear. I'm contemplating whether to just go ahead and buy a starter and take a shot at replacing it.

The good news is that this is the first real problem I've had other than routine maintenance and self-inflicted damage. The cheapo consumer model made it through the ten years I'd hoped to get out of it, so I'm pleased.

nrc
08-28-17, 02:26 AM
I figured it out. It was a pool toy problem.

I went out today to take the starter off to see if the problem was what I thought. I turns out that you don't have to. If you remove the engine shroud you can see the starter and flywheel. What I found was that something was wrapped around the starter shaft preventing the gear from kicking up and engaging the flywheel.

At first I though it was rope or string but then I figured out that it was just fiber fill that had been spun into thread by the starter. Then I recalled that early in the summer I ran over and shredded a pool toy - one of those little scrunchy balls that is just fabric filled with fiber fill. Doh!

Anyway, it's all fixed up and started with no problem once the obstruction was removed.

nrc
10-26-20, 07:20 PM
RIP my John Deere 135, I think. :(

I started it up last week and heard a bang and then it started running very rough. Sounded like it was on one cylinder. I put it away and did the front lawn with the push mower.

This weekend I got it out again. Barely starts and still running rough. So I started investigating. Under the engine shroud I find one side packed full of fluff along with two fully baked mice. Cleaning it all out didn't resolve the issue.

So they built a nest in there that blocked all the cooling air on one side and then I baked them along with that cylinder the next time I mowed. Then I imagine that the next time I started it some heat stressed part broke. I don't hear anything rattling around when it's running, it's just loud.

What stinks is that I normally use it a lot this time of year to clean leaves up. Quick replacement seems out since all the stores have cleared out lawn tractors for Christmas trees already. I doubt that it will be worth repairing. Even if the engine isn't trashed I've gotten by with a bent mower deck for a long time. :irked:

nrc
11-03-20, 03:03 AM
The good news is that my crippled JD can still *barely* pull the lawn sweeper around. When I engage the blades to mulch it's pretty hard pressed to pull up a hill. It's also incredibly loud. No idea why running on one cylinder would make it so loud. I don't see any obvious sign that the muffler is compromised.

I considered going to the John Deere store and buying one of the used tractors they have on hand just to finish up my fall lawn cleanup and then see how long I can run with that. But I'm becoming increasingly miserly in my old age and I hate spending money on something I'm just going to use for a couple of days and then park for four months.

Then came a message from above that I was on the right path. My furnace quit on Sunday night. The diagnosis is the main control board. The unit dates to 1996 so rather than sink money into a 25 year old furnace it looks like it's time for a replacement.

Hang in there JD.

G.
11-06-20, 01:32 AM
The good news is that my crippled JD can still *barely* pull the lawn sweeper around. When I engage the blades to mulch it's pretty hard pressed to pull up a hill. It's also incredibly loud. No idea why running on one cylinder would make it so loud. I don't see any obvious sign that the muffler is compromised.

I considered going to the John Deere store and buying one of the used tractors they have on hand just to finish up my fall lawn cleanup and then see how long I can run with that. But I'm becoming increasingly miserly in my old age and I hate spending money on something I'm just going to use for a couple of days and then park for four months.

Then came a message from above that I was on the right path. My furnace quit on Sunday night. The diagnosis is the main control board. The unit dates to 1996 so rather than sink money into a 25 year old furnace it looks like it's time for a replacement.

Hang in there JD.
Main control boards for that era furnace can be had cheap.

Unless you need to go ultra high-efficiency, HEPA, unit relocation, I would look for a control board. Appliancepartspros.com, repairclinic.com (same place?), or get the PN and get it from Amazon even.
(I feel sad at how many repair parts I can get next-day on Amazon now.)

I got one installed for something like $150 a few winters ago. That furnace was/is a 2002-ish model.

Loud twin cylinder: Maybe wrap the engine in a few layers of hardware cloth/chicken wire to contain the big pieces when it assplodes the next time you climb the hill. :gomer:

nrc
11-07-20, 04:41 PM
I have to pass on tinkering with anything that controls the gas. We're probably going to sell within five years so it will be a good update. I got a decent deal on a 80% (good enough) Carrier installed the next day. Working from home there is some value in just getting the heat back on ASAP. Of course, now it's 75 degrees out.

nrc
11-09-20, 03:00 AM
I know you're all anxious for another tractor update so here it is. It was putting through another round of leaf cleanup when suddenly... it started running normally again. :eek: When the problem occurred originally I checked the plug wires, cleaned debris from around the plugs, and verified spark but I couldn't check the plugs because I didn't have a deep socket. No idea how it fixed itself.

The only thing I can think of that might be self healing would be a fouled plug but I don't know how that squares with my mouse nest overheating scenario. And I don't know what the bang was on startup when started running rough. Backfire? It really sounded more mechanical.

Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

devilmaster
11-09-20, 03:55 PM

pfc_m_drake
11-11-20, 06:54 PM
I know you're all anxious for another tractor update so here it is. It was putting through another round of leaf cleanup when suddenly... it started running normally again. :eek: When the problem occurred originally I checked the plug wires, cleaned debris from around the plugs, and verified spark but I couldn't check the plugs because I didn't have a deep socket. No idea how it fixed itself.

The only thing I can think of that might be self healing would be a fouled plug but I don't know how that squares with my mouse nest overheating scenario. And I don't know what the bang was on startup when started running rough. Backfire? It really sounded more mechanical.

Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.Pull those plugs and check them. You'd hate to have one of them detonated off, and now it's 'jostled' itself into making spark again (and running ok for the time being). You'll only do more damage in the long run.

Hit your neighbor up for a deepwell socket. Well, unless you have crazy neighbors like I do...

G.
11-13-20, 05:20 PM

Something may have gotten stuck in one of your exhaust valve seats, and is now "removed".

If so, Capt. Obvious mentions that there shouldn't be anything in an engine that holds an exhaust valve open, no matter how temporary.

nrc
06-21-21, 01:00 AM
The site can barely handle all of the traffic from people just checking in to see whatever happened with my lawn tractor.

Still chugging away (knock on wood). During the last round of leaf sweeping last fall it had gotten dark and I suddenly started losing power. Engine was running fine but I suddenly had no drive. Finally climbed off and found that one of the tires had come off the bead. Not sure if it rapidly deflated or it was just my negligence. Gives you an idea of what this tractor has lived through. :D

None of the "get the tire back on the bead" tricks worked for me so I just ordered a new wheel and tire for about what that local repair place wanted to deal with it.

Since then it's off and running in the new season and taking on a new form of abuse. We bought some additional property. We're trying to corner the market in Buckskin township. This parcel comes with at least an acre that needs to be mowed. I towed the ol' JD down there last weekend. It beat down that course field grass (which was eight to ten inches high in places) without complaint. Ok, the starter relay failed but a screwdriver fixed that. :gomer:

Anyway, while it hasn't given up yet I figure it's a lot to mow with a 42" deck. I'll probably start looking for a used X300 with a 48" deck.

RaceGrrl
06-21-21, 05:47 PM
Ok, the starter relay failed but a screwdriver fixed that. :gomer:

NRC: Can you get on the tractor and press on the brake?
Me: Ok (Does as requested)
NRC: This might spark
Me: Is this safe?
NRC: Yeah, I should be ok with these gloves on and the insulated screwdriver handle

:eek::eek::eek:

I do not look forward to doing that every time we mow! (Oh and did he mention that we have no cell service out there, and no phone connected yet?!)

WickerBill
06-21-21, 09:40 PM
It's all fun and games until you catch fire.

Congrats on the land grab! I'd like to be able to do that someday.

nrc
03-12-22, 04:14 AM
One of these beauties now has my name on it.

I had been planning on an X300 lawn tractor because I figure that some day I'll need it for snow plowing. But the amount of time spent mowing between the two properties changed my mind and I'm going with a zero turn. I had to stick with a 42" deck because that's what will fit in my shed, but this should still knock it out much faster than my old tractor.

I went in today to check them out. According to the sales guy they just got two of these and they don't expect more until August. He said that the big box stores will get some more because they get priority, but he expects a lot of buyers to be disappointed this season. He says that parts are in short supply and that's constraining production. Maybe it was a sales job but I didn't need it since I was buying anyway. I wanted to be sure to have it for mowing season.

Monday he'll see if they can get the mulch kit, tow bar, and lights that I asked for. Then I'll find out when it comes home.

G.
03-14-22, 06:41 PM
One of these beauties now has my name on it.

I had been planning on an X300 lawn tractor because I figure that some day I'll need it for snow plowing. But the amount of time spent mowing between the two properties changed my mind and I'm going with a zero turn. I had to stick with a 42" deck because that's what will fit in my shed, but this should still knock it out much faster than my old tractor.

I went in today to check them out. According to the sales guy they just got two of these and they don't expect more until August. He said that the big box stores will get some more because they get priority, but he expects a lot of buyers to be disappointed this season. He says that parts are in short supply and that's constraining production. Maybe it was a sales job but I didn't need it since I was buying anyway. I wanted to be sure to have it for mowing season.

Monday he'll see if they can get the mulch kit, tow bar, and lights that I asked for. Then I'll find out when it comes home.

Needs wheelie bars!