PDA

View Full Version : Indiana help

extramundane
05-04-06, 10:56 PM
So my brother and his family are moving to Monticello, Indiana- he and his in-laws, a big-time Indy-based family, including at least one ex-Lilly exec, are (re)opening some big restaurant in town. I understand that it's about 1 hour from both Indy and Chicago, but other than that, I know nothing. Is there anything to do there? And, most importantly, is it a viable base of operations for an Elkhart Lake trip?

Lizzerd
05-05-06, 12:23 AM
Monticello is more like 100+ miles, depending on where you start from in Indy. Of course, this could be an hour drive, depending personal characteristics. When I had to travel twice monthly to the west burbs of Chicago (Carol Stream), It was 90 miles from hotel to Monticello, and 210 to my house on the NE side of Indy.

The only thing I know about Monticello is that there is a big theater there that attracts some of the big time country music stars.

SteveH
05-05-06, 01:07 AM
Indiana Beach is in Monticello

What's the restaurant?

chop456
05-05-06, 06:39 AM

:gomer:

http://history.amusement-parks.com/Indiana%20Beach/Transfer/ibcrow.jpg

:D

Sean O'Gorman
05-05-06, 07:11 AM
No there isn't. Indiana sucks, I suggest cutting off contact with those family members.

Spicoli
05-05-06, 07:52 AM
hillbilly.

no other desript works.

good luck.

extramundane
05-05-06, 08:19 AM

What's the restaurant?

I can't remember the name. I'm led to believe the place has some long history, but fell into disrepair and/or has been closed. My brother's been busy with the renovation work, so I've not talked to him in a while, but whatever place it is, there's some serious money being sunk into it.

extramundane
05-05-06, 08:24 AM
No there isn't. Indiana sucks, I suggest cutting off contact with those family members.

No kidding. If they want a podunk town on a lake with nothing to do they should move to Cleveland.

Gangrel
05-05-06, 10:14 AM
Elkhart Lake is about 90 minutes north of Milwaukee. Monticello is in north central Indiana. Not really sure how you could use that as a base of operations for getting to RA...

As for Indiana Beach, don't listen to the folks who haven't been there. I have lived in Chicago all my life, and have easy access to Six Flags Great America. Still, Indiana Beach is a nice change once in a great while. They have a great haunted house, and the rest of the park...well, let's just say it is like going to an amusement park 30 years ago. I would imagine it as being much the same experience my parents got when they went to Riverview. (For those of you not from Chicago, do a web search on Riverview.)

It is easy for Champ Car fans to slam the entire state of Indiana, but this isn't fair. My in-laws are in Bloomington, and I quite like spending a week or a long weekend down there visiting. Even Indy has some value remaining. The U.S. Nationals is still THE drag racing event to see every year. Just because we'd all be better off if 16th and Georgetown were paved to a parking lot, let's not start talking about taking a star off the flag. :p

Sean O'Gorman
05-05-06, 11:22 AM
It is easy for Champ Car fans to slam the entire state of Indiana

Fun, too!

dando
05-05-06, 11:24 AM
Elkhart Lake is about 90 minutes north of Milwaukee. Monticello is in north central Indiana. Not really sure how you could use that as a base of operations for getting to RA...

As for Indiana Beach, don't listen to the folks who haven't been there. I have lived in Chicago all my life, and have easy access to Six Flags Great America. Still, Indiana Beach is a nice change once in a great while. They have a great haunted house, and the rest of the park...well, let's just say it is like going to an amusement park 30 years ago. I would imagine it as being much the same experience my parents got when they went to Riverview. (For those of you not from Chicago, do a web search on Riverview.)

It is easy for Champ Car fans to slam the entire state of Indiana, but this isn't fair. My in-laws are in Bloomington, and I quite like spending a week or a long weekend down there visiting. Even Indy has some value remaining. The U.S. Nationals is still THE drag racing event to see every year. Just because we'd all be better off if 16th and Georgetown were paved to a parking lot, let's not start talking about taking a star off the flag. :p
Yeah, and if we dint have Indiana, we wouldn't have Hoosiers to make fun of, or IU for that matter. :laugh: :D

-Kevin

racer2c
05-05-06, 11:29 AM
At least their official state song rocks!

On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away
Written by Paul Dresser
Composed by Paul Dresser

'Round my Indiana homesteads wave the cornfields,
In the distance loom the woodlands clear and cool.
Oftentimes my thoughts revert to scenes of childhood,
Where I first received my lessons, nature's school.
But one thing there is missing in the picture,
Without her face it seems so incomplete.
I long to see my mother in the doorway,
As she stood there years ago, her boy to greet.

[CHORUS]

Oh, the moonlight's fair tonight along the Wabash,
From the fields there comes the breath of newmown hay.
Through the sycamores the candle lights are gleaming,
On the banks of the Wabash, far away.

Many years have passed since I strolled by the river,
Arm in arm, with sweetheart Mary by my side,
It was there I tried to tell her that I loved her,
It was there I begged of her to be my bride.
Long years have passed since I strolled thro' there churchyard.
She's sleeping there, my angel, Mary dear,
I loved her, but she thought I didn't mean it,
Still I'd give my future were she only here.

Ok, so I lied. :)

extramundane
05-05-06, 01:29 PM

It's closer than Virginia, that's how. ;)

extramundane
05-15-06, 04:51 PM

What's the restaurant?

The Sportsman Inn. They're shooting for a mid-June opening, I'm told. The dollar figures being thrown around are pretty staggering, especially for a place that seems to be fairly sleepy.

Gangrel
05-15-06, 05:19 PM
Yeah, and if we dint have Indiana, we wouldn't have Hoosiers to make fun of, or IU for that matter. :laugh: :D

-Kevin

Hey now...Bobby Knight is in Texas now. Get off of IU, would ya'! :D

Gangrel
05-15-06, 05:22 PM
It's closer than Virginia, that's how. ;)

Well....since you put it that way...

Still, even Chicago is a haul from RA. Milwaukee is a much better bet if not actually camping. Monticello probably puts you a good 6 hour drive away from RA, not even counting that you have to work your way through Chicago traffic on the way there.

Lizzerd
05-15-06, 09:04 PM
Well....since you put it that way...

Still, even Chicago is a haul from RA. Milwaukee is a much better bet if not actually camping. Monticello probably puts you a good 6 hour drive away from RA, not even counting that you have to work your way through Chicago traffic on the way there.

Monticello to RA, 3.5 at a good time - 4.5 hours at most, even with Chicago traffic. Trust me.

Opposite Lock
05-15-06, 09:33 PM
Monticello to RA, 3.5 at a good time - 4.5 hours at most, even with Chicago traffic. Trust me.

Just beware the construction in Chicago on the Dan Ryan for the next 2 years. My suggestion: exit the Skyway at Stoney Island, take 41 (Lake Shore Drive - hey! take LSD! :gomer: ) at least past the River, maybe cross over to the Kennedy at Ontario, then proceed normally (or abnormally if you prefer).

Also beware that there are some strange rules about certain vehicle classes like RVs and "trucks" on LSD.

dando
05-15-06, 09:45 PM
Hey now...Bobby Knight is in Texas now. Get off of IU, would ya'! :D
And then we lost sour puss Mike Davis to make fun of! :cry: No worries, then and crew gone ahead and hired Sampson, who could be fired if the NC2A hands down sanctions for admitted misdeads @ OU. Nah, IU hatin' is almost as mush fun as the state up north hatin' around these parts. :D Go LLLLoyd "Cooper" Carr! :gomer

-Kevin

SteveH
05-16-06, 12:53 AM
The Sportsman Inn.

:thumbup: Good to hear. I was hoping that's what it would be. I've never eaten there but have heard great things about it. People from all over central Indiana would go there on weekends for dinner.

Gangrel
05-16-06, 10:26 AM

Not really sure how that works, as I seem to recall it taking me about 2.5 - 3 hours to make RA from Arlington Heights (Northwest of Chicago, for you non-locals). Maybe that's just how I remember it because it was late at night and raining pretty good...

Spicoli
05-16-06, 10:59 AM
3.5 hours from Monticello to RA? Must be hauling ***.

extramundane
07-18-06, 03:28 PM
:thumbup: Good to hear. I was hoping that's what it would be. I've never eaten there but have heard great things about it. People from all over central Indiana would go there on weekends for dinner.

The restaurant reopened in late June, and from what I've heard reviews are good. The Lafayette rag did this piece (http://www.jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060625/NEWS/606250330/-1/ARCHIVE) on them around that time. My brother was shocked to hear that he's a "restaurant management expert" but he's since come to terms with it. :D