PDA

View Full Version : I hate car shopping

Wabbit
05-03-06, 02:43 PM
/rant

Why is it so hard to find a well made car with a manual transmission?

I want a 4-door with manual in a decent size. Honda Accord is the best, you just can't find any with manuals. Want a 4-door manual, you have to buy Korean now.

KIA :thumdown:
Hyundai :thumdown:

/rant off

devilmaster
05-03-06, 02:50 PM
When my sister and her husband bought a car, they had to specifically order one direct from the plant. There were no standards in all of Ontario....

Its a dying breed.....

dando
05-03-06, 02:53 PM
Its a dying breed.....
Yup. Harder than heck to find a Bimmer 5 series with a stick when I looked awhile ago. Lower end models like Civics are more likely to be found with sticks, but that may be changing with the redesign.

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 03:11 PM
Don't buy a new car. Cars today are too bloated. There's nothing being made these days that is worth looking at aside from the S2000 and the Lotus Elise.

rabbit
05-03-06, 03:15 PM
/rant

I want a 4-door with manual in a decent size. Honda Accord is the best, you just can't find any with manuals. Want a 4-door manual, you have to buy Korean now.

/rant off
http://www.volvocars.us/models/s60/which/Variant/variants.htm#_ctl0__ctl0_defaultContentPlaceHolder _navigationContentPlaceHolder_item1

Stu
05-03-06, 03:22 PM
Don't buy a new car. Cars today are too bloated. There's nothing being made these days that is worth looking at aside from the S2000 and the Lotus Elise.

What about that car you thought would have been a "chick mobile"? The pontiac solstice or something gay like that.

Ankf00
05-03-06, 03:23 PM

Life exists beyond the parking lot's confines and your xbox, try it sometime. Not everything has to be a midget-mobile that seats only 2 and has no cargo space. (not that the S2000 & Elise aren't fantastic, they make no sense for many people)

Turbodog
05-03-06, 03:31 PM
/rant

/rant off

Get a Subaru Legacy
http://www.subaru.com/shop/specifications.jsp?year=2006&model=LEGACY&trim=25_GT_LIMITED_SEDAN&category=PERFORMANCE
:thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 03:34 PM
Life exists beyond the parking lot's confines and your xbox, try it sometime. Not everything has to be a midget-mobile that seats only 2 and has no cargo space. (not that the S2000 & Elise aren't fantastic, they make no sense for many people)

I haven't touched my Xbox in over a year. And I think the fact that you drive a Jetta should get you disqualified from posting in this thread.

There were lots of cool compact cars a decade or so ago. The Civic started going downhill after '95 and became meaningless to me after '00, the RSX sucks compared to the Integra that it replaced, and the Sentra got lame after '94.

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 03:35 PM
What about that car you thought would have been a "chick mobile"? The pontiac solstice or something gay like that.

The Miata is a chickmobile. The Solstice looks badass, but is too big inside the cabin, and the curb weight is a bit high. But the huge tires you can put on it (245/35/18!!) will make it corner awesome.

Cam
05-03-06, 03:38 PM
My Mazda Protege5 is a 5 speed! :cool: Not a sedan, but fun as hell to drive!

rabbit
05-03-06, 03:41 PM
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=MZ6

Stu
05-03-06, 03:49 PM
+1 on the Mazda6

racer2c
05-03-06, 04:12 PM
The new Maxima has a 265hp, six speed manual. But then finding one is probably tough.

Ankf00
05-03-06, 04:16 PM
The Miata is a chickmobile. The Solstice looks badass, but is too big inside the cabin, and the curb weight is a bit high. But the huge tires you can put on it (245/35/18!!) will make it corner awesome.
right, and you see me puffing my chest out so very often about how all other cars are trash Mr. Used Integra :gomer: (and no the Solstice doesn't look any more manly than a Miata)

I have 2 friends with manual Mazda 6's, they love 'em. Looks cool, reliable, comfy, imo. One of them picked his up for 14K, not sure what options you're looking for though...

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 04:21 PM
The 6 is a nice car. :thumbup:

dando
05-03-06, 04:26 PM
The 6 is a nice car. :thumbup:
Kiss o' death from the Legend. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 04:29 PM
As far as family sedans are concerned, whats not to like? The Accord has turned into a blimp, at least the 6 is still midsize.

Wabbit
05-03-06, 05:55 PM
I like the Accord because a full size adult can sit in the back. That's why I need to upgrade. If I want to take a third adult with me, I end up pulling out the Suburban. Adults can't fit in the back of my RSX.

cameraman
05-03-06, 06:15 PM
Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT

4 doors
rear seat designed for adult humans
250 hp
250 lb ft torque
all wheel drive
fantastic snow car - just about unstoppable when equipped with real snow tires
doesn't cost a mint

nissan gtp
05-03-06, 06:21 PM
the Mazda 6 is a really good car, manuals are out there but a bit hard to find.

for some reason, I didn't like the Legacy GT, it felt heavy and big despite having decent power

in either case, go with the wagon :cool:

cameraman
05-03-06, 06:30 PM
It is full time all wheel drive which is a bit like dragging an anchor.

Aside from the sti the biggest knock against Subarus is their lack of speed.

RacinM3
05-03-06, 07:10 PM
I like the Mazda 6 as well. Nice car.

dando
05-03-06, 07:54 PM
As far as family sedans are concerned, whats not to like? The Accord has turned into a blimp, at least the 6 is still midsize.
No problemo with the 6. I would definitely consider one to replace my E36 Bimmer.

Just giving you a wedgie. ;) :p

-Kevin

Winston Wolfe
05-03-06, 09:47 PM

SOG, as much as it pains me, you might not want to let the facts get in the way of your opinion.
Accord is a "blimp".... yet it weighs only 40lbs more than the Mazda6 sports sedan. (3131 vs. 3091) :rolleyes:
The Accord SE manual 5spd also has more HP in 4cyl, as well as more Torque, better MPG hwy\city, better suspension, better overall safety, more standard equipment.
It sits on a longer wheelbase, is longer overall, and has more passenger space (interior cu.ft.).
It is cheaper to own, better to lease, more economical, and been on C&D 10 Best List for more years that any other car in history.

just cuz it aint good at runnin' cones in the parking lot, and you may not like the extensive remodel to the f\r lights, fenders, hood, etc., BEFORE they go after a full model change next year, that doesnt mean it isnt "the benchmark" in its segment.... but dont let any of those facts sway your OPINION... ;)

Winston Wolfe
05-03-06, 09:53 PM
I like the Accord because a full size adult can sit in the back. That's why I need to upgrade. If I want to take a third adult with me, I end up pulling out the Suburban. Adults can't fit in the back of my RSX.

Wabbit - they may be a tad more expensive, but have you looked at the Acura TSX, which, when equipped with a 5spd manual is a nice rig ! They just bumped the HP a little for 2006 to 205HP, and my neighbor just got one recently. Handles great, looks pretty good in dark silver, and moves out pretty good. They are not everywhere yet...

Acura just came out and announced a poorly kept secret that the RSX is going bye-bye after 2006.... The Civic Si is a pretty good rig, but prolly too small for your needs and still too "boy racer" for you...

give a 1yr old TSX a look. Some dealerships use 'em as service loan cars, put about 9-10k miles on 'em, then sell em as low price models on the lot. You'll have a hard time finding a manual version, but the "sport shift" is still pretty fun....
GOOD LUCK !

Ankf00
05-03-06, 09:53 PM
^^^^ wtf are you on about? You better be an Elise or Mister Two owner if you want to bring common sense into this discussion :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 10:18 PM
SOG, as much as it pains me, you might not want to let the facts get in the way of your opinion.
Accord is a "blimp".... yet it weighs only 40lbs more than the Mazda6 sports sedan. (3131 vs. 3091) :rolleyes:
The Accord SE manual 5spd also has more HP in 4cyl, as well as more Torque, better MPG hwy\city, better suspension, better overall safety, more standard equipment.
It sits on a longer wheelbase, is longer overall, and has more passenger space (interior cu.ft.).
It is cheaper to own, better to lease, more economical, and been on C&D 10 Best List for more years that any other car in history.

just cuz it aint good at runnin' cones in the parking lot, and you may not like the extensive remodel to the f\r lights, fenders, hood, etc., BEFORE they go after a full model change next year, that doesnt mean it isnt "the benchmark" in its segment.... but dont let any of those facts sway your OPINION... ;)

Well, to me, I just can't get comfortable in a car where I don't feel its an extension of my body. Smaller cars feel that way because you can sit low, see the edge of the hood, know how much car is behind you, etc. I get in an Accord, Camry, or even a Civic, and I feel like I'm watching the car from above, like in a videogame. Completely detached driving.

And before jackpipes like Ank start chiming in about how I'm looking at everything from an autocross perspective, I'm not. But I would imagine its kinda important to feel comfortable in a car you are going to drive every day, especially from a safety perspective.

racer2c
05-03-06, 10:25 PM
Wabbit, you could get one of them high falootin' Vee Dubbya's. :)

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/longterm/audi.a4/audi.a4.500.jpg

racer2c
05-03-06, 10:28 PM
... You'll have a hard time finding a manual version, but the "sport shift" is still pretty fun....
GOOD LUCK !

If an auto-stick is in the cards, hell just about everyone has a four door auto-stick. Opens up a whole new list.

Hard Driver
05-03-06, 11:28 PM
I went with a used Audi S4. Hold adults, has stick, goes fast. The only knock is maintenance can be expensive, especially if the turbos go.

Wabbit
05-03-06, 11:44 PM
Wabbit - they may be a tad more expensive, but have you looked at the Acura TSX, which, when equipped with a 5spd manual is a nice rig ! They just bumped the HP a little for 2006 to 205HP, and my neighbor just got one recently. Handles great, looks pretty good in dark silver, and moves out pretty good. They are not everywhere yet...

Acura just came out and announced a poorly kept secret that the RSX is going bye-bye after 2006.... The Civic Si is a pretty good rig, but prolly too small for your needs and still too "boy racer" for you...

give a 1yr old TSX a look. Some dealerships use 'em as service loan cars, put about 9-10k miles on 'em, then sell em as low price models on the lot. You'll have a hard time finding a manual version, but the "sport shift" is still pretty fun....
GOOD LUCK !

I was actually thinking about a TL once. That was before the Acura dealer pissed me off really bad. No real good Acura dealers in the area. Most are only interested in the quick sale, not a long term multi-car relationship.

Turbodog
05-04-06, 12:28 AM
get a used car :gomer:

Winston Wolfe
05-04-06, 01:11 AM
^^^^ wtf are you on about? You better be an Elise or Mister Two owner if you want to bring common sense into this discussion :gomer:

My buddy has an Elise. I have an E30 M3. :cool:
I'm going off what W said... sounds like he needs 4 seats, manny trans, and some fun... SOG let him opinion get the best of him, and made up for it in a later post, after the facts are laid out... I've been in the automotive biz for quite some time, so I was just lending some assistance to an enthusiast about a potential purchase. TSX is quite a decent ride and a good all around car, albeit a little pricey for a NA 4 banger.

btw: you dont REALLY drive a Jetta do ya ?

cartman
05-04-06, 10:18 AM
I'm pretty content with my 2 door G35. It's a 6 speed manual and I've had two adults that were around 6 feet tall in the back seat no problem. Wifey needs a new car very soon, trying to talk her into either the TSX or the new Lexus IS. She is automatic all the way though, for shame.

Dirty Sanchez
05-04-06, 10:46 AM
Well, to me, I just can't get comfortable in a car where I don't feel its an extension of my body. Smaller cars feel that way because you can sit low, see the edge of the hood, know how much car is behind you, etc. I get in an Accord, Camry, or even a Civic, and I feel like I'm watching the car from above, like in a videogame. Completely detached driving.

And before jackpipes like Ank start chiming in about how I'm looking at everything from an autocross perspective, I'm not. But I would imagine its kinda important to feel comfortable in a car you are going to drive every day, especially from a safety perspective.quit while you're behind :gomer:

nrc
05-04-06, 11:44 AM
Well, to me, I just can't get comfortable in a car where I don't feel its an extension of my body. Smaller cars feel that way because you can sit low, see the edge of the hood, know how much car is behind you, etc. I get in an Accord, Camry, or even a Civic, and I feel like I'm watching the car from above, like in a videogame. Completely detached driving..
The car that best meets your criteria is the Mazda Miata. Unfortunately, the gays called and they don't want you.

The Miata is smaller and over 400 pounds lighter than the S2000 and Solstice. The S2000 you said was worth looking at, the Solstice you said was a bit heavy. If you really mean any of this stuff you should be looking at Miatas and Minis until you can save up for your Elise. Unless, of course, image is what really matters.

Dirty Sanchez
05-04-06, 11:59 AM
not to defend seanO but I'm pretty sure he is taking into account power-to-weight. at similar weights, the S2000 is considerably more powerful than the Solstice in stock form. it is also a very mod-friendly and there's nothing "chick-car" about it.

ofcourse you can always get a Mallett Solstice (http://www.mallettcars.com/solstice-conversion.htm) :cool:

Sean O'Gorman
05-04-06, 12:17 PM
The car that best meets your criteria is the Mazda Miata. Unfortunately, the gays called and they don't want you.

The Miata is smaller and over 400 pounds lighter than the S2000 and Solstice. The S2000 you said was worth looking at, the Solstice you said was a bit heavy. If you really mean any of this stuff you should be looking at Miatas and Minis until you can save up for your Elise. Unless, of course, image is what really matters.

The car that best meets my criteria ceased production in 1995 and I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement for the one I used to own. A <2500 lb, mid engined, sub $20,000 car would be perfect.

If I'm going to buy a roadster in the Miata/Solstice price range, I'd go with the Solstice because the wider tires make it a more competitive autocross car and make up for the weight disadvantage. The Mini is also pretty cool, but too heavy for my tastes (2679 lbs) and too expensive for what it is. The beauty of the old Civic Si and Sentra SE-R was that they were cheap, and you didn't need stuff like heated seats and A/C standard.

RichK
05-04-06, 12:19 PM
I can't believe you guyz are baggin' on Miatas!

Ankf00
05-04-06, 12:37 PM
If I'm going to buy a roadster in the Miata/Solstice price range, I'd go with the Solstice because the wider tires make it a more competitive autocross car and make up for the weight disadvantage. The Mini is also pretty cool, but too heavy for my tastes (2679 lbs) and too expensive for what it is.

To summarize: Everyone on this board drives a boat. Except for nrc and whoever it was that bought a used miata for the wifey, replaced the hub, and then kept it for himself, and maybe a couple of other people w/ miatas, But these miata folks who make up the rest of us are really only driving chick cars. OffCamber == armchair racers w/ boats & chick cars.

O'Gorman thinks the Solstice is the best car on the market despite the fact it looks like the quintessential "cutesy chick car", then again he is from Cleveburg so poor taste is his thing, but it autocrosses better. Autocrossing car == better car.

But remember, O'Gorman isn't picking cars because of parking lot warrior capabilities, he's picking them because of... um... :confused:

(And yet he's still not picking up chicks with those l337 cone-dodging skillz :gomer: )

Well, I suppose one day you'll adjust your preferences to be more in line with reality & practicality. Of course, this will require you to make friends who want to hang out with you, which will make you want more passenger room. And maybe you'll pick up a couple of hobbies that don't involve sitting in a parking lot or hanging out on the computer in your parents' house, and then you'll want some trunk space ;)

Anyone else see in O'Gorman's future a domineering, bitch of a wife who forces him to drive the minivan and never own a "fun" ride ever again?

Sean O'Gorman
05-04-06, 12:39 PM
Where do you draw any of this stuff from my posts in this thread???

Ankf00
05-04-06, 12:42 PM
Where do you draw any of this stuff from my posts in this thread???
it's called reading comprehension ;)

TKGAngel
05-04-06, 01:05 PM
Would you two like a ruler? ;)

racer2c
05-04-06, 01:15 PM
"OffCamber == armchair racers w/ boats & chick cars."

Hey, that's me! :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
05-04-06, 01:56 PM
it's called reading comprehension ;)

I never said the Solstice was the best car on the market (far from it), I never called the Miata a chick car (I've raced Miatas before), and when I state my opinion for cars that are competitive autocrossers, it is clearly just personal preference. I drive a compact car that can do all the stuff your old GTI did (haul 4 people, bikes, have nice seats, stereo, fuel mileage), etc. and it is a good car, but it just isn't fun.

KLang
05-04-06, 02:42 PM
/rant

/rant off

Have you checked into how long it would take to order what you want from Honda? They are all made either in the US or Canada, I doubt it would be more then six weeks or so. My last four vehicles have been Acuras or Accords and while they aren't the most inspiring vehicles to drive it's tough to beat their quality and reliability.

nrc
05-04-06, 03:51 PM
The only thing worth considering...
http://www.mathewscollection.com/images/cobra/cobra_1_450.jpg

Stu
05-04-06, 04:35 PM
The Miata is a chickmobile.

I never called the Miata a chick car (I've raced Miatas before),

Dr. Corkski
05-04-06, 04:42 PM
^^^
http://www.raceworx.com/imabandwidththief/owned%20stripped%20car.jpg

emjaya
05-04-06, 05:01 PM
The Miata is called a hairdress's car in OZ cause all the hairdress's drive them.Which is affecting sales apparently. :shakehead :D

Wabbit
05-04-06, 05:42 PM
Have you checked into how long it would take to order what you want from Honda? They are all made either in the US or Canada, I doubt it would be more then six weeks or so. My last four vehicles have been Acuras or Accords and while they aren't the most inspiring vehicles to drive it's tough to beat their quality and reliability.

Because of the way Honda does their ordering it could be 2+ months to order.

From the Honda dealer
"It doesn't work as easy as just ordering one. Honda won't build a car unless they can build at least 30 at the same time going to the same district. Since red is far from the most popular color and it's a five speed, it is highly unlikely this would happen."

I didn't specify red in the order, but you get the picture. This is pretty much the same from everyone I've talked to.

If I want a Silver/Black one, I can find them all over the place. I just don't want another black interior. Shows the dirt too much. One might be coming in next week to one dealer that might be OK on the colors. I won't know until I see it.

Sad part is, if I wanted in Automatic, I have around 50 of each color combination to choose from.

Did I say I hate automatics?

nrc
05-04-06, 05:48 PM
The Miata is called a hairdress's car in OZ cause all the hairdress's drive them.Which is affecting sales apparently. :shakehead :D
A Miata will definitely do your hair.

racer2c
05-04-06, 07:07 PM
Because of the way Honda does their ordering it could be 2+ months to order.

From the Honda dealer
"It doesn't work as easy as just ordering one. Honda won't build a car unless they can build at least 30 at the same time going to the same district. Since red is far from the most popular color and it's a five speed, it is highly unlikely this would happen."

I didn't specify red in the order, but you get the picture. This is pretty much the same from everyone I've talked to.

If I want a Silver/Black one, I can find them all over the place. I just don't want another black interior. Shows the dirt too much. One might be coming in next week to one dealer that might be OK on the colors. I won't know until I see it.

Sad part is, if I wanted in Automatic, I have around 50 of each color combination to choose from.

Did I say I hate automatics?

Buy a different car.

racer2c
05-04-06, 08:35 PM
A Miata will definitely do your hair.

My bro-in-law, who sold me my first Miata, just talked me into joining his little Miata club. 25 'enthusiasts' who take their Miata's extremely seriously. Not one female in the bunch (well, a couple of wives). 15 of them have forced induction (I'm thinking about it myself, but the stage 1 only adds 40 horses and that's not at the wheel so...jury is out as I don't want to dump 10K in a 4K Miata).
Only people who don't have Miata's call them chick cars.

Sean O'Gorman
05-04-06, 09:54 PM
FWIW I don't think Miatas are chick cars and they are definitely fun to drive, but I've got enough working against me as it is to be seen owning one of them. ;)

racer2c
05-04-06, 10:32 PM
FWIW I don't think Miatas are chick cars and they are definitely fun to drive, but I've got enough working against me as it is to be seen owning one of them. ;)

yeah, it's diffenitly different when you're in your early 20's and single versus almost 40 and married with children. If I were 23 I'd drive an S2000 or a Boxster, or an older 911 or a third gen RX-7 or an... :)

cart7
05-04-06, 10:36 PM
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7296/vw0zi.jpg

Listen up, VW in the house. Jason. this is your 98 watchama.. call it

nrc
05-04-06, 11:00 PM
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7296/vw0zi.jpg

Listen up, VW in the house. Jason. this is your 98 watchama.. call it

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2006/04/30/mn_motorxxjetcar001.jpg

extramundane
05-04-06, 11:12 PM

I guess that's one way to get around the oil burning and bad engine coils.

Cam
05-05-06, 08:15 AM

Blow it out yer ***??? :saywhat:

KaBoom21
05-05-06, 10:06 AM
I love my Jetta. Had two of them for 150,000 miles and very little maintenance issues.

extramundane
05-05-06, 01:36 PM
I love my Jetta. Had two of them for 150,000 miles and very little maintenance issues.

Whereas I have 4 VW (3 Jetta and 1 Golf) owners amongst my friends, and each of them has spent significant time at the dealer. The 2000 Golf owner has had an engine replaced, 7 other major recalls/service bulletins and just recently received an $1100 check from VW of America "for her troubles."

G.
05-05-06, 01:52 PM
I guess that's one way to get around the oil burning and bad engine coils.Uncle-in-law works for the service dept in a VW shop. (or, at least he did)

I believe the engine coils was a Bosch screwup. When Bosch pulled out all stops to replace the coils, VeeDub decided to put them into the new cars, instead of sending them out to the dealers. :thumdown:

(note: I may have this confused with the elec. part in the power windows. Same deal.)

Dirty Sanchez
05-05-06, 01:55 PM
Whereas I have 4 VW (3 Jetta and 1 Golf) owners amongst my friends, and each of them has spent significant time at the dealer. The 2000 Golf owner has had an engine replaced, 7 other major recalls/service bulletins and just recently received an $1100 check from VW of America "for her troubles."did she pursue magnuson-moss and go thru arbitration, etc? or deal directly with VW?

extramundane
05-05-06, 03:31 PM
did she pursue magnuson-moss and go thru arbitration, etc? or deal directly with VW?

Arbitration based on state lemon laws. There was a reason she only got $1100, but I can't remember what it was. I'd ask her again, but she threatened to emasculate anyone who mentioned VW in her presence.

oddlycalm
05-05-06, 07:26 PM
Get a Saab and grow a beard. They're easy to find with a manual tranny but you are required to have a beard... ;) Not many dealers in the flyover states but where you and I live it's no problem. Serieously, more style than the Japanese stuff, more reliable than VW/Audi and less money than BMW. All the European makers sell 4 door cars with manual trans.

oc

racer2c
05-05-06, 07:49 PM
Get a Saab and grow a beard. They're easy to find with a manual tranny but you are required to have a beard... ;) Not many dealers in the flyover states but where you and I live it's no problem. Serieously, more style than the Japanese stuff, more reliable than VW/Audi and less money than BMW. All the European makers sell 4 door cars with manual trans.

oc

Is a tweed blazer optional? Which book on CD is required? :)

CARTNUT
05-06-06, 03:47 AM
/rant

/rant off

What the heck is wrong with the Hyundai? I've owned my '04 Elantra GT for almost 2 years now. Has > 42,000 miles on it without a hiccup! 100,000 mile warranty! 35 - 38 mpg consistantly on my commute to L.A. JD Power quality reports right up there with H & T. (Maybe even better?!?!) Factory Michelins, Kenwood CD/Mp3 Player, Leather interior, 5 spd stick, 4 wheel disc brakes, heated rear/side view mirrors, purple illuminated instrument cluster, euro styling, all for under $15,000. You can't do better than that!
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0408_hyundai_elantra_h1.jpg

'NUT :gomer:

JohnHKart
05-06-06, 06:36 PM
Agreed. I have been driving manuals since 1994, but it's only been the past 4 years I've realized how much I love them and how much more control and safety they give me. It's mainly the extra stopping ability via engine braking that is important. I like high gas mileage, want a sporty wagon (ex kart racing, racing game junkie here) so I can have a car and haul around my tons of band gear(I play keyboards and guitar on one gig). They are getting as hard to find as the car type you want. I love my 93 Ford Escort and would buy Ford again...but guess what? The Focus is a lot smaller and I don't want less room. I would eagerly buy a Toyota or Honda wagon but no dice there either. No fan of Hyundai or Kia either. It's either going to be Suburu or Saturn. I hate SUV's, vans, trucks and big wagons, I pass all of those view blocking, gas hogging slow boats as soon as I can.

John

/rant

/rant off

racer2c
05-06-06, 07:11 PM
Agreed. I have been driving manuals since 1994, but it's only been the past 4 years I've realized how much I love them and how much more control and safety they give me. It's mainly the extra stopping ability via engine braking that is important. I like high gas mileage, want a sporty wagon (ex kart racing, racing game junkie here) so I can have a car and haul around my tons of band gear(I play keyboards and guitar on one gig). They are getting as hard to find as the car type you want. I love my 93 Ford Escort and would buy Ford again...but guess what? The Focus is a lot smaller and I don't want less room. I would eagerly buy a Toyota or Honda wagon but no dice there either. No fan of Hyundai or Kia either. It's either going to be Suburu or Saturn. I hate SUV's, vans, trucks and big wagons, I pass all of those view blocking, gas hogging slow boats as soon as I can.

John

My favorite wagon...plus it has a HEMI. :cool:

http://wwwsg.daimlerchrysler.com/GMS/CONTENT/IMAGES/679419magnum20_med_res__mid.jpg

nissan gtp
05-06-06, 07:43 PM
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/622/atenzaquarter1ih.jpg

oddlycalm
05-06-06, 09:18 PM
Is a tweed blazer optional? Which book on CD is required? :) Quite right, forgot to mention that the tweed jacket is mandatory. :D

Fun aside, my friend in SLC has a Saab 9-5 Aero and when he comes over on a wine run he always comes via the Nevada high desert so he can clock a few hours of 100mph+ cruising. BTW, the Saab can hold 11 cases of wine which is a serious plus.

It's pretty easy to find a dealer that will part with a loaded 9-3 sport sedan with the turbo 4 and 5spd manual for $25K.

oc

racer2c
05-06-06, 09:57 PM
Quite right, forgot to mention that the tweed jacket is mandatory. :D

Fun aside, my friend in SLC has a Saab 9-5 Aero and when he comes over on a wine run he always comes via the Nevada high desert so he can clock a few hours of 100mph+ cruising. BTW, the Saab can hold 11 cases of wine which is a serious plus.

It's pretty easy to find a dealer that will part with a loaded 9-3 sport sedan with the turbo 4 and 5spd manual for $25K.

oc

Wine thread! Wine thread! :cool:

nrc
05-06-06, 11:57 PM
I love my 93 Ford Escort and would buy Ford again...but guess what? The Focus is a lot smaller and I don't want less room. I would eagerly buy a Toyota or Honda wagon but no dice there either. No fan of Hyundai or Kia either. It's either going to be Suburu or Saturn. I hate SUV's, vans, trucks and big wagons, I pass all of those view blocking, gas hogging slow boats as soon as I can.
Focus smaller than Escort? I would never have guessed it since the basic car is bigger. Is it that the cargo area just isn't as extended on the Focus?

The Mazda 6 wagon is nice. Both the Mazda 5 & 6 wagon have more space in back than a Forester or Vue according to the specs. The Mazda 5 may look a bit mini-vanish, but by all accounts it drives a lot like a 3.

Stu
05-07-06, 12:43 AM
My favorite wagon...plus it has a HEMI. :cool:

http://wwwsg.daimlerchrysler.com/GMS/CONTENT/IMAGES/679419magnum20_med_res__mid.jpg

Better Wagon:

http://www.edmunds.com/media/news/column/letterstotheeditors/03.sept2/03.subaru.wrx.wagon.500.jpg

Ankf00
05-07-06, 12:17 PM
Best Wagon:

http://www.neuwagen4u.de/images/audirs6avant.jpg

JohnHKart
05-07-06, 04:25 PM
Focus smaller than Escort? I would never have guessed it since the basic car is bigger. Is it that the cargo area just isn't as extended on the Focus?

I've pulled up right next to them and got out and looked....I've tried to compare the specs but they are hard to figure out. Maybe I'm wrong but observing the two cars side by side in person the Focus just has to be smaller.

John

racer2c
05-07-06, 04:47 PM
Better Wagon:

http://www.edmunds.com/media/news/column/letterstotheeditors/03.sept2/03.subaru.wrx.wagon.500.jpg

That's a hatchback. :gomer:

nrc
05-07-06, 05:46 PM
I've pulled up right next to them and got out and looked....I've tried to compare the specs but they are hard to figure out. Maybe I'm wrong but observing the two cars side by side in person the Focus just has to be smaller.

The idea that the Focus is larger sticks in my mind since it was intended to replace both the Escort and the Contour, which I always thought was a stupid idea.

Dug up some numbers...

Escort / Focus
Wheelbase (in.) 98.40 / 102.9
Length (in.) 171.30 / 178.4
Width (in.) 66.70 / 66.7
Height (in.) 53.60 / 59.5
Track (in.) 56.50 / 58.7

Interior dimensions are pretty close in front (more headroom, less legroom for the Focus) but the Focus is slightly larger in the back. I couldn't find any data for the '93's cargo compartment but the '06 has 35.2 cubic feet, which is pretty close to the 6 wagon at 37.

extramundane
05-07-06, 11:15 PM
Best Wagon:

http://newyorkguide.blogs.com/psfk/images/1978_Ford_Country_Squire.jpg

nrc
05-08-06, 12:36 AM
Best Wagon:

http://www.ajga.org/Newsletter/TheAJGALink/8-5-05/images/Truckster.jpg

JohnHKart
05-08-06, 12:57 AM
The idea that the Focus is larger sticks in my mind since it was intended to replace both the Escort and the Contour, which I always thought was a stupid idea.

Dug up some numbers...

Escort / Focus
Wheelbase (in.) 98.40 / 102.9
Length (in.) 171.30 / 178.4
Width (in.) 66.70 / 66.7
Height (in.) 53.60 / 59.5
Track (in.) 56.50 / 58.7

Interior dimensions are pretty close in front (more headroom, less legroom for the Focus) but the Focus is slightly larger in the back. I couldn't find any data for the '93's cargo compartment but the '06 has 35.2 cubic feet, which is pretty close to the 6 wagon at 37.

Thanks. I should get all the bandgear I normally haul around, take it to a dealership and unload it and then put in a Focus. The only thing I didn't like about the Focus I rented in Germany in 2003 was the wierd cracking sound the steering wheel made as I cranked around the Nurburgring. I later found out the car had a Germany only wheel braking system that slows the car when it senses the car is going out of control. I almost crashed at that place after I got into an offcamber (no pun intended) corner all wrong and was headed straight for the wall. Maybe I didn't crash because of that system. :thumbup:

John

devilmaster
05-08-06, 05:29 AM
http://www.ajga.org/Newsletter/TheAJGALink/8-5-05/images/Truckster.jpg

I found out long ago
It's a long way down the holiday road
Holiday road
Holiday road

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick
Take a ride on the West Coast kick
Holiday road
Holiday road
Holiday road
Holiday road

I found out long ago
It's a long way down the holiday road
Holiday road
Holiday road
Holiday road
Holiday road

:D

Ankf00
05-08-06, 10:25 AM
:p

Dirty Sanchez
05-08-06, 10:35 AM
wagons are cool.

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album56/new_shoes2.jpg

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/Impala60/winter05_1.jpg

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album56/blackhawk_sig.jpg

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album76/bhf_100.jpg

rabbit
05-08-06, 11:34 AM
It's mainly the extra stopping ability via engine braking that is important.
When I went to the Mid-Ohio High Performance Driving School, Brian Till told us that modern braking systems far outperfrom anything engine braking could do and that all you're doing is putting unnecessary stress on your engine. It's an outdated way to stop.

chop456
05-08-06, 01:33 PM
When I went to the Mid-Ohio High Performance Driving School, Brian Till told us that modern braking systems far outperfrom anything engine braking could do and that all you're doing is putting unnecessary stress on your engine. It's an outdated way to stop.

And then Scott Harrington taught you how to do beer bongs?

rabbit
05-08-06, 01:37 PM
And then Scott Harrington taught you how to do beer bongs?
:laugh:

cameraman
05-08-06, 01:48 PM
wagons are cool.

For around $55,000 it damn well better be cool...

http://www.speedgeezers.com/albums/album56/new_shoes2.jpg

Hard Driver
05-08-06, 05:47 PM
Crapus, is that your ride?

Dirty Sanchez
05-08-06, 09:02 PM
that's right, homesicle.