PDA

View Full Version : IMSA Audi Quattro Video

Michaelhatesfans
05-03-06, 12:47 AM
Maybe this is why I'm growing such a taste for vintage racing... I miss real race cars. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3uP8fwi0Uc&search=imsa

Winston Wolfe
05-03-06, 01:57 AM
MHF , once again, the vintage stuff is great... nice find :thumbup:

Someone should make sure that SOG sees this stuff, so that he can compare and contrast against the dreaded GA thread of the week...

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 07:06 AM
But...but...but...its a half second slower around Laguna Seca than a DP, TUBE FRAMED, and BOXY!!!

http://www.schwab-kolb.com/JPG/AUDI/Audi0174.JPG

Anyway, that was a cool video. I don't know why but I just draw blanks in my memory when I try and think back to the Audis in IMSA, which is odd because I can remember alot of the other GTO cars and the GTP cars. :saywhat:

extramundane
05-03-06, 11:00 AM
But...but...but...its a half second slower around Laguna Seca than a DP, TUBE FRAMED, and BOXY!!!

And about 15 years older too...

BobN
05-03-06, 11:14 AM
Sean, being as you wanted to compare times to a DP, here is how the fastest DP qualifier would have stood up against ALMS GT1 cars at Laguna:

Best DP qualifier would have been 7th in GT1 a mere 4.05 seconds off pole. :D

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 12:28 PM
Keep in mind that from 1989 to 2004, the CART pole time at Laguna Seca only went down about 3 seconds, and from '89 to '05, the Corvette is only 4 seconds faster. Is it really that big of a deal?

Ankf00
05-03-06, 12:50 PM
CART kept lowering boost :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 01:38 PM
And Grand-Am, IMSA, IRL, NASCAR, and F1 have all tried to implement measures to slow down cars and make them more affordable between '89 and the present. Its the nature of racing, and why you can't judge a series by laptimes and its technology.

Ankf00
05-03-06, 01:48 PM
so how about you compare it to its modern analogue, ALMS @ Seca? oh right, that would ruin your worthless point :gomer:

Easy
05-03-06, 02:51 PM
CART kept lowering boost :gomer:

and the quality of drivers. :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 03:07 PM
so how about you compare it to its modern analogue, ALMS @ Seca? oh right, that would ruin your worthless point :gomer:

Read post #6 :gomer:

4 seconds isn't that noticeable on course if the quality of drivers is as deep in talent as the DPs.

Its a shame that a thread about Audi GTOs got ruined because you guys have to troll with anti-Grand-Am comments. Yes I'm just as guilty for responding, but its like you can't enjoy "real" sports car racing without tearing Grand-Am apart. :shakehead

extramundane
05-03-06, 04:34 PM
Its a shame that a thread about Audi GTOs got ruined because you guys have to troll with anti-Grand-Am comments. Yes I'm just as guilty for responding, but its like you can't enjoy "real" sports car racing without tearing Grand-Am apart. :shakehead

http://www.cheaptherapy.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/WHINE2.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 04:47 PM
So anyone want to talk about the Audis?

Skater_36
05-03-06, 05:35 PM
Read post #6 :gomer:

4 seconds isn't that noticeable on course if the quality of drivers is as deep in talent as the DPs.

Who brought up the DP's in the first place? :rolleyes: The thread was fine up till that point.

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 05:47 PM
You mean reply #1?

RacinM3
05-03-06, 07:06 PM
That video served to remind me that Audi really isn't given enough credit for their racing history. Seems like when most people think sports car racing, they think Porsche, Ferrari, heck, even BMW. But Audi truly has a Grade A pedigree, especially when it comes to the all-wheel-drive stuff.

They seem to wear the fact that they've been thrown out of a number of series for being TOO good as a badge of honor. :thumbup:

Thanks for the vid.

emjaya
05-03-06, 08:07 PM
Thanks for that.
Audi Quattro :thumbup:
Hans Joachim Stuck :thumbup: :thumbup:

They seem to wear the fact that they've been thrown out of a number of series for being TOO good as a badge of honor.

They walked all over the Bimmers in the OZ supertourers,which probably played a big part in killing that series off.

:)

Sean O'Gorman
05-03-06, 10:13 PM
That video served to remind me that Audi really isn't given enough credit for their racing history. Seems like when most people think sports car racing, they think Porsche, Ferrari, heck, even BMW. But Audi truly has a Grade A pedigree, especially when it comes to the all-wheel-drive stuff.

They seem to wear the fact that they've been thrown out of a number of series for being TOO good as a badge of honor. :thumbup:

Thanks for the vid.

I would imagine that part of it is when they are thrown out of a series like Trans-Am or BTCC, it loses its credibility and thus people tend to forget.

Michaelhatesfans
05-04-06, 01:17 AM
I would imagine that part of it is when they are thrown out of a series like Trans-Am or BTCC, it loses its credibility and thus people tend to forget.
I'll agree that Trans Am lost it's credibility after that.