PDA

View Full Version : Another Merge rumour

emjaya
05-02-06, 09:27 AM
Yes,another merge rumour this one is from Motorsport News,an Australian magazine.
Here (http://www.mnews.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=2&Itemid=9)

The whisper is that an announcement is scheduled for the race weekend that the Champ Car World Series and the Indy Racing League will be merged into a single championship. If true, the timing of the announcement makes sense, not only in terms of the PR value of reuniting American open-wheeler racing against the backdrop of one of the world’s great races, but also because it allows a realistic lead time to get teams and hardware in order for 2007.

From two good sources apparently. :rolleyes: X 10.
Is this the start of a world wide media campaign building suspense until finally the announcement the world is waiting for

reunification

Or just some hack looking to fill some column space. :D

Audi_A4
05-02-06, 10:09 AM
Yes,another merge rumour this one is from Motorsport News,an Australian magazine.
Here (http://www.mnews.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=2&Itemid=9)
From two good sources apparently. :rolleyes: X 10.
Is this the start of a world wide media campaign building suspense until finally the announcement the world is waiting for
reunification
t some hack looking to fill some column space. :D

I sure hope the rumors are true. The split has ruined the sport we all love. Both sides are to blame throw the water under the bridge and start fresh. Screw the politics and unify!

Ankf00
05-02-06, 10:26 AM
Sooo, are you originally from Vermont, or what?

CART T. Katz
05-02-06, 10:35 AM
for full disclosure, i am and have been against any sort of formal merger

anyone else have that sick feeling that anton george is going to pull out of these things at the last minute again? i mean, this has been his mo for at least 5 years now. i fully expect him to get that blearly head-in-the-clouds thing going on and decide that he doesn't like the terms anymore.

KLang
05-02-06, 10:49 AM

anyone else have that sick feeling that anton george is going to pull out of these things at the last minute again? i mean, this has been his mo for at least 5 years now. i fully expect him to get that blearly head-in-the-clouds thing going on and decide that he doesn't like the terms anymore.

Exactly what I think will happen. We go through this every spring with the same results.

Andrew Longman
05-02-06, 10:55 AM
The key difference (and there are several differences) this year is Tony has had to face the fact that even if he can attract enough top teams to the 500 next year, he can do almost nothing to make sure they run the rest of the season. Without manufacturer money, Penske, Ganassi, Rahal et al, happily or not, will go run ALMS, GA, CCWS or anything else they can find that makes business sense. The business case to run the IRL season isn't there, just as it wasn't one the T/H money left CART.

TG might still do something truly stupid to try to regain lost control such as turn to NASCAR or run USAC roadsters but I'm hoping he is more balanced than that.

Nevertheless, I'll truly believe there is a merger when I see it

nrc
05-02-06, 10:58 AM

The good news is that it appears that Champ car is moving full speed head on all their plans until they have something in ink. Nobody's sitting home waiting by the phone.

rabbit
05-02-06, 12:01 PM
The good news is that it appears that Champ car is moving full speed head on all their plans until they have something in ink. Nobody's sitting home waiting by the phone.
Exactly. The rebirth of Atlantics, the development of the DP01, and all these new race proposals - Philly, Vegas and Phoenix - tell me they are very focused on Champ Car's future, much unlike the previous leadership (if you can call it that.)

G.
05-02-06, 12:44 PM
Exactly what I think will happen. We go through this every spring with the same results.What's the definition of "insanity" again?

Something about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

dando
05-02-06, 12:55 PM
Exactly what I think will happen. We go through this every spring with the same results.
I really think KK & co. have FTG's nuts in a vise this time around, plus they have a plan to move forward if FTG manages to **** things up. Either way it's a win-win for CCWS...unless FTG maintains majority control of a shared entity. In which case, I'm through with this shizzle, and I just saved myself a bunch of time caring about this shizzle.

-Kevin

CART T. Katz
05-02-06, 01:40 PM
I really think KK & co. have FTG's nuts in a vise this time around, plus they have a plan to move forward if FTG manages to **** things up. Either way it's a win-win for CCWS...unless FTG maintains majority control of a shared entity. In which case, I'm through with this shizzle, and I just saved myself a bunch of time caring about this shizzle.

-Kevin

yup. i won't go as far as saying majority control, but 1% control is too much for him in my opinion.

rabbit
05-02-06, 01:45 PM
I found this picture (http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/owned-46286.jpg) of KK and TG 'negotiating' the merger.

:gomer:

dando
05-02-06, 05:01 PM
yup. i won't go as far as saying majority control, but 1% control is too much for him in my opinion.
As long as others have the majority say so, and FTG shuts the **** up like PG, I'm OK for that. All thye hafta do is have some of Mario's associates threaten to hobble FTG ala Misery. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

dando
05-02-06, 05:03 PM
I found this picture (http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/owned-46286.jpg) of KK and TG negotiating the merger.
Sorry, Rabbit. I think you meant 'negotiating' or negotiating. :)

-Kevin

Racing Truth
05-02-06, 05:03 PM
Emjaya: What race weekend is the excerpt referring to? Confusing. Based on said excerpt, seems very Marxie-ish (BTW: He ALSO says its a done deal. For once, I hope Mark Cipollini is right).

dando
05-02-06, 05:10 PM
Emjaya: What race weekend is the excerpt referring to? Confusing. Based on said excerpt, seems very Marxie-ish (BTW: He ALSO says its a done deal. For once, I hope Mark Cipollini is right).
Care to guess? It ain't gonna be Houston, and the EARL doesn't race again until Indy. They'll prolly squeeze this in with The Danicle's book announcement, and AJ's announcement that he's driving in the Fihunnert. Apparently they found our he can actually fit into the tub they setup for Smoke a couple of years ago. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

emjaya
05-02-06, 06:21 PM
Dando's right,I choppped off the first line.

MN’s US sources are suggesting that this month’s Indy 500 will be even more memorable than usual

:)

NismoZ
05-02-06, 08:21 PM
So, Houston would be a better time or place for an announcement? Get real. Comes under the heading of "smart" timing. More people, more press, more sensible. One of those "concessions" all CC fans better get used to. I don't see a whole lot to worry about. That 50/50 oval-road stuff is history. If a 22 race rumor is close to true and only 6-7 are ovals, that just about fits the definition of diversity. (Indy, KC, The Mile, Motegi Chicago, KY and Texas?)Most of the doubters base their hesitation on % ownership. I base mine on what's good for openwheel's future. A 22 race schedule with 24-26+ viable entries on the grid in proven or new venues that WANT CC/IRL type racing and the promise of network TV and a revitalized I500 are enough to give me hope (above doubt) the whole thing actually happens. :)

racer2c
05-02-06, 09:42 PM
Mergers can be a very risky venture. They really only work if both parties are fully cooperative and fully prepared. If one side goes in half-hearted it can make for a clumsy, somewhat awkward situation. Compatibility is crucial for a successful merger. You can't merge an unwilling participant in the hopes of a peaceful future.

In order for the deed to be done there is sure to be the obligatory caressing, empty promises and probably even some drinks at dinner over heated conversations of "unification". Sure, the promises of great things to come may help keep the adrenaline high, but if the goals are never achieved, a break up is sure to happen.

Then what happens? Who keeps the subsidiaries? Is the one side going to keep the name or give it up for their previous name? But, if the timing is right and both parties are happy with each other, a merger can be very productive, long lasting and a wonderful event.

DagoFast
05-02-06, 11:03 PM
Mergers can be a very risky venture. They really only work if both parties are fully cooperative and fully prepared. If one side goes in half-hearted it can make for a clumsy, somewhat awkward situation. Compatibility is crucial for a successful merger. You can't merge an unwilling participant in the hopes of a peaceful future.

In order for the deed to be done there is sure to be the obligatory caressing, empty promises and probably even some drinks at dinner over heated conversations of "unification". Sure, the promises of great things to come may help keep the adrenaline high, but if the goals are never achieved, a break up is sure to happen.

Then what happens? Who keeps the subsidiaries? Is the one side going to keep the name or give it up for their previous name? But, if the timing is right and both parties are happy with each other, a merger can be very productive, long lasting and a wonderful event.

So basically, your saying this one is hosed.

cameraman
05-02-06, 11:38 PM
Unless one side is essentially walking away from it all....

skaven
05-03-06, 12:29 AM
Sooo, are you originally from Vermont, or what?

Live free or die ! ! ! :gomer:

oddlycalm
05-03-06, 02:39 PM
Mergers can be a very risky venture. Good points. My primary concern is that expectations regarding sponsor and public interest seem to exceed what is likely among fans. Some seem to think it will be some kind of magical event that will return professional formula car racing to center stage, which it won't. At the very least it will take years of concerted effort to regain what has been lost over the last decade, and it may never happen at all. Long term survival should be the prime objective at this point.

oc

dando
05-03-06, 02:50 PM
Good points. My primary concern is that expectations regarding sponsor and public interest seem to exceed what is likely among fans. Some seem to think it will be some kind of magical event that will return professional formula car racing to center stage, which it won't. At the very least it will take years of concerted effort to regain what has been lost over the last decade, and it may never happen at all. Long term survival should be the prime objective at this point.

oc
Survival.

This quandry reminds me of the South Park underwear gnomes:

Step 1: steal underwear
Step 2: ???
Step 3: make money

:(

-Kevin

stroker
05-03-06, 10:49 PM
I see no indication that TG sees an advantage for himself to merge. I don't think he sees it as essential or even demonstrably desirable--in which case KK's concern about "doing it right" goes in the crapper right off the top.

TG's going to be all about giving himself a second chance. He'll think, "See, that Aussie bozo can do it, so can I..." and come up with some Silver Crown thing for the new formula starting in '07.

Scroom.

emjaya
05-03-06, 11:12 PM
I see no indication that TG sees an advantage for himself to merge. I don't think he sees it as essential or even demonstrably desirable--in which case KK's concern about "doing it right" goes in the crapper right off the top.

That probably why KK is taking his time about it and is ready to go on without TG or the IRL.

and come up with some Silver Crown thing for the new formula starting in '07.

TG should have done that ten years ago.Might've worked back then,not sure about now.

:)

extramundane
05-04-06, 04:32 PM
NSSN Unification Poll (http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slug=ap-penskemerger050406&prov=ap&type=lgns) (does anyone even read that rag anymore?)

Readers of the motorsports newsweekly selected Penske as the best candidate to lead a hypothetical merger of the two sanctioning bodies over notable racing personalities H.A. "Humpy" Wheeler, president of Lowe's Motor Speedway and one of the sport's great promoters, NASCAR chairman Brian France, George and Kalkhoven.

More than a third of the publication's readers picked Penske as the answer to the question: "Who should run IRL and Champ Car after a merger?" Penske, an icon in motorsports, leads other candidates by a significant margin. Wheeler was second with approximately a quarter of the vote, followed by George.

Ankf00
05-04-06, 04:49 PM
apparently vapid tools account for 1/3 of their readership

extramundane
05-04-06, 10:17 PM
apparently vapid tools account for 1/3 of their readership

Makes sense, since vapid tools account for at least 1/3 of their editorial staff.

Heeeelloooooo, Mr. Economaki! :gomer:

nrc
05-04-06, 10:57 PM
Vapid Tools. Isn't that a NASCAR sponsor?

trauma1
05-05-06, 09:15 AM
with CC looking at phoenix and vegas for races , there will be no merger, not going to happen ,Kk is taking care of his buisness and couldn't care leas what tg does

SurfaceUnits
05-06-06, 05:57 PM
DP01 development has been halted because,,,,,,, with a merger,,,,,,,, the chassis might be mated to a NA beefarter engine. :shakehead GAWD!!!!!

NismoZ
05-06-06, 06:57 PM
Really.

KLang
05-06-06, 07:02 PM
DP01 development has been halted

Where did this tidbit come from? A recent post by PG at crapwagon stated exactly the opposite.

NismoZ
05-06-06, 07:28 PM
And an 18 race schedule with 12 ovals? Sources say "suggestions included that posibility." Good Lord they only have 11 ovals now! All highly attended and successful, I imagine. Let's add ANOTHER one! I don't think so. Think of the venues that would have to disappear if only 6 oval/street races were to make the cut.

nrc
05-06-06, 09:21 PM
DP01 development has been halted because,,,,,,, with a merger,,,,,,,, the chassis might be mated to a NA beefarter engine. :shakehead GAWD!!!!!

Source?

SurfaceUnits
05-06-06, 11:04 PM
Source was someone who knows someone who really knows what's happening. Also, HPD has contracted with Ilmore to build their 2.65L Turbos. :laugh:

stroker
05-08-06, 12:54 PM
Miller said on Speednews last night that orders for the DP-01 had been suspended (or put on hold)... can't remember his exact words.

Insomniac
05-08-06, 01:46 PM
Miller said on Speednews last night that orders for the DP-01 had been suspended (or put on hold)... can't remember his exact words.

So they want to merge, keep costs high and break everyone's backs? Good way to get things going in the right direction from the onset. Wouldn't want Dallara left out in the cold.

Ankf00
05-08-06, 01:54 PM
Vapid Tools. Isn't that a NASCAR sponsor?

Corporate Charter Member, to be exact.

NismoZ
05-08-06, 04:07 PM
The DP01 is FSA, believe it. When all the 1st rumors broke a few weeks ago there was a short, a minor, a brief PAUSE in activity. That's all.

trauma1
05-08-06, 04:16 PM
DP01 is a go, it's in the wind tunnell as of now, someone just started a rumor and bunch of people picked it up without checking thier sources, RM is one of them, mainly this BS was started at crackforum so go figure :flame:

SurfaceUnits
05-08-06, 05:10 PM
So,,,,Fonda has agreed to the Turbo???? Kewl!!!

NismoZ
05-08-06, 07:25 PM
Not that we know, but David Phillips in RACER suggests use of the 2.65 turbo spec then says to can the DP-01 and use "developed" Dallara and G-Force chassis... as a compromise? Makes NO sense to me. Then Jeff Olson says to bag the NA and go turbo which is sensible if the DP-01 is the choice but then he thinks Brian Barnhart should be the Czar in a 50/50 ownership deal. That makes even less sense. Maybe the DP-01 IS the new G-Force for The League anyway (based on an earlier and unannounced decision to go turbo?) and it's up to Dallara to ante up if they can? If Swift could come up with 41 cars as quickly as they did, could Panoz duplicate that effort in time for St.Pete '07? Engine, Chassis, Schedule, Feeder, Control. Simple.

trauma1
05-09-06, 08:56 AM
lola has a chassis on the board also and kk said they may be back when they awarded panoz the contract

Andrew Longman
05-09-06, 12:16 PM
Maybe the DP-01 IS the new G-Force for The League anyway (based on an earlier and unannounced decision to go turbo?).

That has been my thought for a long time. And it is not really a choice TG has any say in. Teams have to have been telling him they need lower costs and more sources of revenue. They have to have been telling him that they will leave for CCWS or elsewhere unless he does something.

One choice (among many) is to adopt a common spec with CCWS and let the teams go where they may. That probably the surest way to fill the 500 and that's the most important thing to him.

But started on that path, why not just formalize it and organize an planned merger with CCWS that gives him some measure of "control" he so covets?

In the end do you really think he cares about what the rest of the schedule is, how healthy the teams are and whether there are grassroot oval racers in the mix? His behavior does not suggest so. So long as the rest of the season can promote his race and so long as he is sure he will have a full field he should be happy. If KK can take that grief off his hands it should be welcome.

DjDrOmusic
05-09-06, 12:25 PM
Source was someone who knows someone who really knows what's happening. Also, HPD has contracted with Ilmore to build their 2.65L Turbos. :laugh:

HMMM you heard that also??? I wonder where......?? :rofl:

It's amazing the garbage I am told almost daily by people who think I know somthing or someone. I post some of it to laugh at, most of it I throw on the back burner. ;) :D

NismoZ
05-09-06, 12:53 PM
On the same page again, Andrew! Why WOULDN'T the guy rather have his race back, (with the only promise of growth and prosperity left out there for it) and perhaps half ownership of a series with some actual promise of growth and prosperity, instead of a dying relic of a race and a FULL share in a lost cause!? If this thing doesn't happen, as so many here believe it won't, because the IGS wants control, then he really is nuts. (not saying I'm just coming to that conclusion, either.)

racer2c
05-09-06, 03:18 PM
I don't think any of the IRL participants "tell" tony anything. They're too afraid he'll lock them out of the big show. Then what would they tell their sponsors?

No, Tony lives in his castle on the hill and his court advisors make sure that nothing offensive or contrary to his beliefs reach his royal ears while at the same time they wash his feet and tell him how right he is.

Spicoli
05-09-06, 03:27 PM
No, Tony lives in his castle on the hill and his court advisors make sure that nothing offensive or contrary to his beliefs reach his royal ears while at the same time they wash his feet and tell him how right he is.

Never been stated any clearer. Thank you. :thumbup: