PDA

View Full Version : Panoz on CART at Road Atlanta

mnkywrch
04-03-03, 06:26 PM
From the latest NSSN:

While seated next to Don Panoz at a Georgia dinner; he was asked his opinion on CART's description of Road Atlanta as too fast and thus too dangerous for its series to visit. "When I remodeled Road Atlanta, it was to CART's recomendations," was his concise answer.

Gurneyflap
04-03-03, 06:48 PM
That was then. Since, Panoz has said the IRL made more sense to him. Of course, THAT was a "then", too. Haven't heard anything from him lately on the subject, but if he is pointing fingers, as seems to be the case, I wouldn't hold out much hope for a Panoz/CART connection of any sort.

Chaos
04-03-03, 07:48 PM
when was "then"?

mnkywrch
04-03-03, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Chaos
when was "then"?

He bought the track in 1996, so it would likely be since then.

Seven years or four CEO's ago, however you'd like to measure.

But CART does no wrong... all Panoz's fault... :rolleyes:

pchall
04-03-03, 08:32 PM
But has Panoz done anything right?

Considering much he has spent for various ALMS events to fill the schedule for his series, I think he could have made a sanctioning fee offer to CART for an event at Road Atlanta that would have been difficult to refuse.

RichK
04-03-03, 08:32 PM
CART bashing is so passé

Eagle104
04-03-03, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch

But CART does no wrong... all Panoz's fault... :rolleyes:
Where's that in this thread? I'm only scanning while at work. Must have missed it.

Oh, and....:rolleyes:

mnkywrch
04-03-03, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Eagle104
Where's that in this thread? I'm only scanning while at work. Must have missed it.

Sorry, Eagle, .... it's previously (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=854) been explained to me on these parts that Road Atlanta in no way meets CART's standards for a race.

In short, it's Panoz's fault that CART isn't racing at Road Atlanta.

nrc
04-03-03, 09:39 PM
Assuming that NSSN is relaying the comment correctly, that CART specified some changes and that Panoz completed them all all as specified, then I would have to say that CART didn't do a very good job, because I still don't think Road Atlanta would be safe for Champ cars.

mnkywrch
04-03-03, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Considering much he has spent for various ALMS events to fill the schedule for his series, I think he could have made a sanctioning fee offer to CART for an event at Road Atlanta that would have been difficult to refuse.

Does anyone know if he's even making money on the ALMS?

Ziggy
04-03-03, 10:11 PM
I have never been to Road Atlanta. I have kept up on the goings on down there. I have a good friend who watches over some rich guys 962, and He goes there a couple of times a year.

I have seen several roles of film of the track. My friend is the only guy whom I know that was there when Bob got killed.

The track was brought up to FIA standards, and it has full curbing and its width and safty barriers are up to code. It is a see Jesus type of track, with one very wicked down hill section that just looks flat scarry. Like I said, I have never been there, but the photos make the place look very nice....fast... and somewhat more dangerous than say, Elkhart Lake. There seem to be some runoff issues, and outright speed would have to be looked at.

I do believe that Don Panoz bought and then brought the track up to a standard in hopes of getting a CART race. The timing with the power's at be was all wrong.

It went downhill from there

Ziggy

PS - Some words may have been misspelled in this post, while some of the mechanics of the English language might also have been butchered.

Railbird
04-03-03, 10:32 PM
I'm another that has never been to Road Atlanta, always wanted to but never made it, might make the Petit sometime.

Regardless, a chicane here of there would ugly it up but make it safe to whatever standards.

Or

We could just expect the drivers to drive the course with the respect it demands.

I know, I know

way too old school.

Damn shame

Sean O'Gorman
04-03-03, 11:07 PM
Guys-

I've been to Mid-Ohio, and I've been to Road America, and some other ovals (Indy, Charlotte, Michigan). Let me tell you, nothing compares to Road Atlanta. Seriously, the track is beyond unbelievable! Get your asses out there someday.

mnkywrch
04-03-03, 11:08 PM
I've always wanted to do the Petit, but it always conflicts with something.

Besides, it's hard to find folks who want to haul 10 hours from Indy to Road Atlanta for a sports car race.

Peter Olivola
04-04-03, 09:38 AM
The problems with Road Atlanta from a CART safety perspective have nothing to do with Panoz. They are a function of the original design and development of the track. Panoz has tried to correct them, but the outer embankment from the down hill to pit out is beyond even his resources.

Originally posted by mnkywrch
Sorry, Eagle, .... it's previously (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=854) been explained to me on these parts that Road Atlanta in no way meets CART's standards for a race.

In short, it's Panoz's fault that CART isn't racing at Road Atlanta.

Peter Venkman
04-04-03, 03:12 PM
"Besides, it's hard to find folks who want to haul 10 hours from Indy to Road Atlanta for a sports car race."

Perhaps, your 'hanging' with the wrong crowd....

Dr. Corkski
04-04-03, 04:35 PM
It must be Panoz's fault for not getting rid of those picnic tables and port-a-potties.

cart7
04-05-03, 12:43 PM
originally posted by Peter Olivola
The problems with Road Atlanta from a CART safety perspective have nothing to do with Panoz. They are a function of the original design and development of the track. Panoz has tried to correct them, but the outer embankment from the down hill to pit out is beyond even his resources.

Years ago (93-94) I worked on a camcorder for a guy who had shot his own in-car during an Historics race there. I saw that section :eek: very scary! From an in-car view, the track is very interesting but at the time of that taping I saw, was totally un-suitable for Champ cars.

Kate
04-09-03, 08:12 PM
We routinely drive 18 hours from Toronto to what is way more than "A Sports Car Race" -- the Petit is one of THE sports car races in the United States although it is frequently cold and damp for camping there. In fact we were there right after 9/11 and it was truly inspiring to see all the cars with American flag stickers on them and to hear even the Euruopeans (with the noteable exception of the ill mannered Rickard Rydell) singing "God Bless the USA" along with Lee Greenwood.

I have been to Sebring this year and it is way too bumpy for CWS, but it might be interesting to try the cars at Road Atlanta. If I get to interview Tiago at Brands, i will ask him what he thinks as he has tested there.