PDA

View Full Version : College FB - My dinner with Coach Richt

cartman
04-27-06, 10:59 AM
I know we're a good ways away from college football season, but I just wanted to share that I was fortunate to attend a small dinner with UGA coach Mark Richt at my uncle's church this past Monday night. I cannot even begin to explain what a class act and just all around great guy coach Richt is. I was so extremely impressed with his morality and the fact that he stresses molding his players into good men instead of just good football players. Coach Richt is the only reason we were able to pluck Matt Stafford from the great state of Texas (sorry Ank) to come play for UGA. I was reading an article where Stafford said that the reason he picked UGA over Texas or any of the other schools that were after him is because coach Richt was the only coach that showed any interest in getting to know Stafford as a human being and person instead of just a football player or meal ticket. I am so much prouder to have him as our coach after attending this dinner and I hope that he continues to be our coach for many years to come.

He was really funny when he was talking about his unheralded career as a quarterback. He was telling us that when he went to Miami for college, the coach told him that he was their guy in the beginning of spring practice. Well, unfortunately midway through spring practice a guy named Jim Kelly showed up and obviously took the starting job away from him. Then, he didn't get drafted to the NFL, but Denver asked him to come to their camp as a free agent. He though that he might have an outside chance to be the starter but lo and behold about 2 weeks into camp the Broncos picked up a guy by the name of John Elway, so Richt was eventually cut. Then after about a 2 year haitus he got an offer to come try out at the Miami Dolphins camp. Well, he was doing well in camp and then, lo and behold, a certain guy by the name of Dan Marino was picked up by the Dolphins so once again, bye bye Richt. I can't imagine a worse run of luck than that, sheesh. Oh well, if all that hadn't happened he may not have ended up our coach, so thanks Jim, John and Dan.

On a side note:
To a certain USC bandwagon fan that Ank and I love to razz so much, congratulations to Reggie Bush and his parents for being complete and total morons and causing this pre-draft controversy. Thanks Reggie, it's been very entertaining and I'm sure this won't be the last stupid thing you do. :shakehead

Ankf00
04-27-06, 11:17 AM
sounds like a fun time :thumbup:

a side note, Stafford's then gf was attending UGa when he committed, and his parents are both FSU alums with stronger ties to Richt than to Bowden, he was a pretty safe bet for you guys all the way. Stafford @ UGa, Stephens at UTenn, McElroy @ 'Bama, and if Mallet goes to Arky then Texas will account for 1/3 of the starting SEC QB's in a couple of years ;)

Stafford also beat our qb Snead in the 4A semis last year here in town, that bastid... :p

dando
04-27-06, 12:10 PM
Good stuff. :thumbup:

BTW, around here it's always college foosball season. :cool:

-Kevin