PDA

View Full Version : Mom's house burglarized

RaceGrrl
04-27-06, 10:19 AM
Mom came home from work last night to find that her house had been burglarized. The thieves took all of her jewelry, Dad's wedding ring and watches, a revolver, some electronics including her laptop and digital camera. Fortunately Richard had just saved all her pictures to cd a couple weeks before, so at least she didn't lose those special pics of Dad. They didn't find a lock box that she had with cash in it and they also left behind all of the rest of Dad's guns. (He has 8 or 9 of them) The cops couldn't find any fingerprints and she lives in a secluded area so it's unlikely that the neighbors saw anything. Mom is calling today to get an alarm system installed. I'm worried that she's been targeted because she's newly widowed and they'll come back because they now know what other stuff they didn't get. :(

I don't know what else can happen. Last Sunday night she hit a deer while driving home from our house. Sheriff said it was a big one and she might not have survived if she hadn't been driving the pickup.

racer2c
04-27-06, 10:54 AM
Man, that SUCKS! I'm glad to hear that she's ok in both instances. Get that alarm in ASAP! Is it possible for you and Richard to stay there until the alarm system is installed? I'm sure she's pretty shaken up about this, obviously. Maybe she should stay with you guys. Don't take any chances. If the thieves think it's an easy target, they'll be back.

Turbodog
04-27-06, 11:02 AM
It is likely they have inside knowledge.

spinner26
04-27-06, 11:31 AM
Not saying it's the case, but this exact act is the reason I hate obits in the newspaper. It is nothing but an advertisement for criminals.

Gnam
04-27-06, 12:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your mom's troubles. They say bad things happen in three's, so she's due for some better times.

Were the cops able to get any fingerprints? If it was a smash and grab job, they might have been careless about leaving behind evidence.

dando
04-27-06, 12:09 PM
:(

Sorry to hear about your mom's misfortunes, Missy. Thoughts & prayers as always.

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
04-27-06, 12:20 PM
They didn't get prints, but she wouldn't let them dust everywhere because she didn't want to clean up the mess! She knows that she's not thinking straight right now, but I couldn't convince her to have the cops come back. Someone Mom knows was hit three times after her husband died, that's what concerns me- that they'll come back.

I agree that obituaries are an invitation to a break in. She'd had some hangup calls in the days prior, and the cops said that was typical. Mom did agree to keep my brother's pistol last night and she hid the rest of the guns- the ones they didn't steal. Mom is armed and she's not afraid to shoot- which is sort of amusing if you can picture a petite little woman in her sixties with guns blazing. "Say hello to my little friend!"

nrc
04-27-06, 12:33 PM
It is likely they have inside knowledge.

We considered that. If they left the car on the road it would be obvious and if they took it down the driveway they'd be trapped. So they must have been pretty confident in knowing when the owner would be back. But then she said that she had been getting hang-up calls so it sounds like someone was casing the place ahead of times. Which brings us back to the obit theory.

oddlycalm
04-27-06, 04:37 PM
Someone Mom knows was hit three times after her husband died, that's what concerns me- that they'll come back. Or, just as likely, more than one creep reads the obits. The reptiles that do this stuff deserve the worst, but I settle for keeping them on the outside. A security system or even a yappy small dog is often more than low rent creeps want to deal with.

Really sorry to hear about this.

oc

Turbodog
04-27-06, 04:59 PM
We considered that. If they left the car on the road it would be obvious and if they took it down the driveway they'd be trapped. So they must have been pretty confident in knowing when the owner would be back. But then she said that she had been getting hang-up calls so it sounds like someone was casing the place ahead of times. Which brings us back to the obit theory.

dang :(

B3RACER1a
04-27-06, 05:02 PM
Glad she's armed now. Most of the time the guys wont come back when someone is there. They are petty burlgars, not robbers....but its hard to nail down the type really, but typically this is the case. As far as I'm concerned, if someone breaks in while you are there, they know you're there. You have every right to defend yourself and your property.

Hope they catch em.

Ankf00
04-27-06, 05:05 PM
sorry :(

german shepherds trained in elite ninja schools :D

racer2c
04-27-06, 05:37 PM
sorry :(

german shepherds trained in elite ninja schools :D

Speaking of which, we have schutzhund trained German Sheperd. Haven't locked the doors since she reached 75lbs. Now she's 85lbs and keeps a close watch on all passer-bys.

I highly recommend one!

Chomp!

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/pics/pics_on_site/schutzhund_lg.jpg

Linda
04-27-06, 10:39 PM
I saw a dog like that as I was going down my steps as he came around the house. Sure stoped me in my tracks and his in his tracks. Not 4 foot away was my half the size german shepard chow mix dog. My dog wouldn't have had a chance. Luckly the dog decided it was time to go home. :eek:

pfc_m_drake
04-27-06, 10:46 PM
Our nextdoor neighbor owns a used car dealership and is pretty successful. A couple of times over the years his house was robbed - but never anybody else in the neighborhood - only his house. He would always report it, and the police would dust for prints, but never find anything.

One night my brother was out back and he heard glass break at our neighbors house. He went over (unwisely) to check out what was going on. Inside he found our neighbor's cleaning lady. She told my brother "Oh, your neighbor is out of town but he called me because he forgot to turn off a light (or something) and I lost my key so I had to break in. I'll get the window (or whatever it was) fixed, don't worry about it."

So when our neighbor returned to town from his trip we checked out this song-and-dance story. Of course it was bogus.

They hauled her (the cleaning lady) in and she confessed to all of the break-ins over the years. She had a key, but the 'breaking in' deal was to cover up that it was her. And, of course, her fingerprints would show up in the dustings, but of course they always wrote it off to being 'just the cleaning lady'.

So the moral of the story - I'll cast a second vote for it being somebody with inside knowledge.

RaceGrrl
04-28-06, 12:04 AM
My nephew has had problems with drugs in the past. He hung out with some pretty nasty people back then. His ex-girlfriend knows where Mom lives and has been there enough times to know the layout of the house. She is still using so it wouldn't surprise me if her current boyfriend was involved.

I guess one of the neighbors saw a car pass the driveway three or four times and wondered what was up and did give a good description of the car. Hopefully they'll catch them but I'm not holding my breath.

TravelGal
04-28-06, 01:22 AM
This is just so horrible. You feel so violated. Your own space is not safe anymore. It may take quite a while to get over it. The only good thing is that she isn't thinking quite clearly -- meaning that it might not register as much as i would if she were living a serene life at the moment it happened.

We got hit (as you can probably tell) by what we were sure was the son of the neighbor behind us. He had gone the drug route. No way to prove it but I learned never to leave my good jewelry where anyone can see it. He had been our pool guy before he hit the drugs and could see from outside looking into our bedroom where things were. Now when anyone comes, we make sure the drapes are not open.

I hope they catch the perps. Please give your mom my sympathy on this *also.*

rocket
04-28-06, 04:46 AM
That sucks big time Grrl. There is a bright side, at least it happened while she was gone and they never crossed paths, no knowing the outcome there.

The alarm should help, even better if there is someone you know that could just stay with her a while.

Well if they ever catch him and you figure he needs a size 18EE shoved up his bung....you know who to call.

stroker
04-28-06, 12:30 PM
18EE?

Dude, that's what the rest of the world calls a swim fin...

:D

rocket
04-28-06, 04:31 PM
18EE?

Dude, that's what the rest of the world calls a swim fin...

:D

They can double as rescue boats in a pinch..."Women and children in the left, normal sized men in the right" :D

CARTNUT
04-28-06, 08:00 PM
So mom's packin heat, huh? Make sure you guys set up a password with her so next time you go to check on her she doesn't unload on you when you are letting yourselves in!