PDA

View Full Version : Mansell leads opening Masters practice

Audi_A4
04-26-06, 03:50 PM
TSN.ca Staff

4/26/2006 9:53:11 AM

Nigel Mansell set the fastest time in opening practice for this weekend's Grand Prix Masters event in Qatar.

Mansell, who won the first ever event for ex-F1 drivers 45 years of age and over last year in South Africa, turned a top lap of 1:49.315 around the new Losail International Raceway.

Stefan Johansson was next fastest, 3-100ths of a second behind Mansell, while Christian Danner was third.

Fifteen of the sixteen drivers scheduled to take part in this weekend's race were on hand for today's practice, including Andrea de Cesaris, Ricardo Patrese, Eddie Cheever, Patrick Tambay and Emerson Fittipaldi.

The drivers all compete in cars setup and built by Delta Motorsports in England and are powered by identical 80-degree 3.5-litre V8 Cosworth engines which are based on the successful XB Indycar powerplant. The engines are capable of producing in excess of 600 horsepower and reach speeds of close to 200 miles per hour.

The Masters series is scheduled to visit four venues in 2006 - Qatar, Monza, Silverstone and Kyalami.

devilmaster
04-26-06, 03:56 PM
Christian Danner was third.

Wow. There's a blast from the past...

Opposite Lock
04-26-06, 04:11 PM
Master Eddie Cheever.

That's just fun to say. :laugh:

RichK
04-26-06, 04:16 PM
I read in Road&Track that Prost wasn't doing this series. Did he give a reason? It would be fun to see him.

dando
04-26-06, 04:24 PM
Master Eddie Cheever.

That's just fun to say. :laugh:
Oh, it's possible to be a master @ ****ing up, 2. :gomer:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
04-26-06, 10:10 PM
I read in Road&Track that Prost wasn't doing this series. Did he give a reason? It would be fun to see him.Reason? He's a French *****.

Audi_A4
04-26-06, 11:32 PM
Quotes from first Qatar test day The eagerly awaited Qtel Masters of Qatar got underway today with a two-hour Free Practice session at what drivers have described as one of the best motor racing circuits on the world stage. The scorching desert heat generated a midday track temperature of 46-degrees and with temperatures expected to rise even further ahead of Saturday's race, the demanding and unforgiving climate is the only concern at what is an exceptionally challenging, quick and rewarding driver's circuit. All the Masters (except Arnoux who arrives tonight) were in action today undertaking familiarization laps and understanding how best to set-up the 600bhp cars ahead of this weekend's first-ever four-wheeled motor race in Qatar.

Nigel Mansell (Britain): "This is a truly world-class facility and one which we are extremely proud to be racing at and more so given that it's Qatar's first ever four-wheeled motor race. It's extremely fast, technically demanding and is complimented with what can only be described as state-of-the-art infrastructure and facilities. Today's free practice has been about re-acquainting ourselves with these cars and understanding the set-up variables as we prepare for tomorrow's further two free practice sessions."

Christian Danner (Germany): "As one would expect, we were greeted by extremely slippery and dusty conditions given that the last race here was the Moto GP a couple of weeks back. This made finding a balance quite challenging on the car and understeer was a problem for everyone today. As the rubber was laid down, however, the handling characteristics of the car improved considerably and have provided a lot of food for thought as we go into what has to be one of the hottest places on earth to race Grand Prix cars."

Jan Lammers (Netherlands): "I didn't manage as many laps as I would have liked because I slid off and it took some time to clean out the car. Overall though I am happy and pleased with where we are. It's a lovely track which boasts a great layout. It has an excellent variety of corners and is quite a technical track which makes learning it quite hard. I'm sure this place is going to throw up a few surprises over the weekend given that we have no prior experience, data or test mileage to work from."

Emerson Fittipaldi (Brazil): "We certainly didn't expect a circuit this fast or challenging but I am really excited about what this Losail circuit has to offer. It was designed with two-wheeled action in mind as opposed to four but nonetheless it offers a wonderful blend of fast corners, undulations and an extremely long straight. Understeer was unfortunately the biggest issue during today's opening session but we have worked towards improving that and as more rubber gets laid down, the grip factor will improve and allow for what I am sure will be a spectacular race come Saturday."

Pierluigi Martini (Italy): "A beautiful circuit but one which makes achieving the correct balance very important. There is a wide range of corners here - some very quick and some not so quick. Exiting the faster corners, however, is where a good car balance really pays off and we have been working today on this area. I believe everyone suffered today from understeer issues but I am sure we'll dial these out, especially as more rubber gets laid down. Right now, I feel very privileged about just being here amongst some great friends. We'll see how competitive I am over the weekend but the pressure is very different now to when I was a professional driver. I will still be looking to win of course but with a smile on my face throughout the weekend no matter what happens."

Eddie Cheever (USA): "To start with the track was very slippery, it was hard to maintain the balance and understand what the car was doing. The car had a lot of understeer, but as the track got more rubber on it this improved. Losail is a beautiful circuit to drive on, it is very technical and if you make one mistake you carry the problem for the next five or six corners. If you do go off, the dust and sand can cause serious and time consuming problems."

Eliseo Salazar (Chile): "I like this circuit a lot, it is a very tough circuit and most of the corners are hard to negotiate. Given the desert environment surrounding us, there are no reference points for us and this is made harder because we have not driven here before. We have plenty more mileage to generate tomorrow and come race day, I'm sure everyone will have understood exactly the key points where tenths can be gained - and lost for that matter! The facilities are superb and as in Kyalami the organization is superb. Bring on race day!"

THE TRACK

Located 10km outside the capital city of Doha, the Losail International Circuit is surrounded by desert landscape. Built in record time, the track was today met by the immediate approval of the Grand Prix Masters drivers not only for the excellent safety features (the run off areas are more than adequate in an area where space is not an issue) but also for the challenge it proposes. The track has only one true straight, measuring 1068m followed by a series of varied corners which are all linked together and give drivers little chance to rest in the searing heat.

A distinctive feature of the track is the sequence of three fast right corners. Another characteristic is how difficult it is to overtake - not because there aren't enough suitable points but because of the danger of running off the racing line, due to the conditions of the track.

TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Circuit name: Losail International Circuit
Opened: 2004
Latest modification: 2004
Length: 5,400m
Width: 12m
Pole position: Left
Right corners: 10
Left corners: 6
Longest straight: 1068m

Michaelhatesfans
04-27-06, 12:17 AM
Pierluigi Martini!!! My man! Anyone who puts a Minardi on the front row is ok in my book! :thumbup: Ok, he's not a Mansell or an Emmo, but my pick for the most underrated driver of the modern era.

racer2c
04-30-06, 10:36 PM
Red 5 = Pole + flag to flag win. :thumbup:

Um, someone wake up Emmo.

Hameroids
05-01-06, 12:59 AM
Eliseo Salazar (Chile)

Salad Bar? a GP MASTER????

WTF??????

Lizzerd
05-01-06, 01:24 AM
Salad Bar? a GP MASTER????

WTF??????

Hey, he IS a master. He won the 2000 irl 497.5. Look it up. :D

And he crashed a lot in his handful of F1 races too. I'm sure Nigel is tickled pink to be racing with him again.

The Doctor
05-01-06, 09:46 AM
Hey, he IS a master. He won the 2000 irl 497.5. Look it up. :D

And he crashed a lot in his handful of F1 races too. I'm sure Nigel is tickled pink to be racing with him again.

Damn shame Piquet isn't racing. It'd be nice to see someone kick the crap out of Salazar again. :laugh: