PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturer Pullout in NASCAR?

emjaya
04-20-06, 09:02 AM
Well,according to Auto Extremist they are.

http://www.autoextremist.com/page3.shtml

:)

nissan gtp
04-20-06, 09:17 AM
AE is a dumass

emjaya
04-20-06, 09:28 AM
So am I for putting this thread in with the Champ car threads. ( where is that head banging emicon ) :o

pchall
04-20-06, 09:35 AM
Well, somebody needs to make room for Toyota. I was thinking Dodge would bail first....

Ankf00
04-20-06, 09:44 AM
Chevy, winner of the most NASCAR manufacturer's championships. :gomer:

TedN
04-20-06, 09:49 AM
Interesting (http://www.autoextremist.com/page3.shtml#fumes)

Ted

Andrew Longman
04-20-06, 10:15 AM
Chevy, winner of the most NASCAR manufacturer's championships. :gomer:

You mean "Chevy decals", winner of the most NASCAR manufacturer's championships.

2-3 years ago the big three had meetings to try to gang up on NASCAR to get changes that would improve their ROI. It went no where because NASCAR is in it for NASCAR and the big three realized they didn't really have any leverage.

AutoExtreemist credibility aside, there is a great point made in the article. As NASCAR popularity has skyrocketed in the last 10 years, big three market share is exactly inverse.

If I am a shareholder or on GMs BoD I would have to ask how many Monte Carlos are we selling for our $140M investment? Can they even say that GM would be losing even more money without this sponsorship? Maybe, but how much healthcare can they buy for retirees with that same money and would preserving those benefits buy them more goodwill?

And the thing too is that from NASCARs perspective losing GMs $140M isn't really going to have that much of an impact. It may not get fully replaced by other sponsors but it won't threaten the health of the sport either.

Stu
04-20-06, 11:06 AM
And the thing too is that from NASCARs perspective losing GMs $140M isn't really going to have that much of an impact. It may not get fully replaced by other sponsors but it won't threaten the health of the sport either.

And all of that 140 million isnt even going directly to NASCAR. Its going to r&d, tv and radio spots, etc., in addition to advertising directly involved with NASCAR.

This will just continue NASCARs pursuit to gain new fans while alienating the old ones.

dando
04-20-06, 12:02 PM
I don't believe it until I see it on AR1. :gomer:

-Kevin

mueber
04-24-06, 01:25 PM
DeLorenzo has long felt that the "Big 3" don't get their money's worth out of NASCAR. Says so every chance he gets. So far he has been wrong, and he will continue to be wrong for the foreseeable future.

Given the popularity of NASCAR right now, any price is probably a bargain.

cart7
04-24-06, 01:45 PM
Herb Fischel was on autoline quite a few months ago, before the GM earl pullout and he was basically saying these same things. GM only wants involvement in win on Sunday sell on Monday racing series. Specifically they're more interested in investing in sportscar type series where the cars resemble the garbage they have sitting collecting dust on their sales floors.

I don't believe Ford is all that happy with this new spec chassis coming around the corner in cabville either. Didn't old man Ford say himself on Wind Tunnel last year they'd have to re-evaluate their Nascar investment if they went with this one size fits all specmobile?

BTW, will they still be able to call themselves the North American STOCKCAR racing series and keep a straight face?

TKGAngel
04-24-06, 02:09 PM
I'm thinking Toyota entering has a lot to do with this. Jayski reports daily about how Toyota is interested in buying this/that/the other team and/or driver (names bandied about include Jarret - with UPS, Robby Gordon, Kevin Harvick and even Dinger - with Red Bull).

GM knows that they can't compete with the amount of money that Yoda is going to come in and spend. Perhaps they've learned their lesson from what happened with their IRL program.

If a pullout isnt true, I give it four races next year before one of the Big 3 is complaining and carrying on about how they're at a disadvantage.

devilmaster
04-24-06, 02:17 PM
BTW, will they still be able to call themselves the North American STOCKCAR racing series and keep a straight face?

With all the money they sleep with in their beds, I don't think they give a rat's ass whether or not they have a straight face.....