PDA

View Full Version : Remember Motegi 2002?

rabbit
04-14-06, 03:30 PM
That was the weekend FTG showed up at the CART race and declared, "I bring my hammer to work everyday." It was also the weekend he claimed that there was nothing going on between IRL, Honda or Motegi. Just a few weeks later at Indy came the news that Honda was heading to the IRL and the IRL was heading to Motegi -- the supposed "final nail in the coffin."

It will be interesting to see who shows up at Motegi next week.

racer2c
04-14-06, 03:43 PM

As in KK?

rabbit
04-14-06, 03:47 PM
As in KK?Dunno, just speculating. I'm curious to see what, if anything, goes down. Especially at Honda's home track.

Insomniac
04-14-06, 06:19 PM
Dunno, just speculating. I'm curious to see what, if anything, goes down. Especially at Honda's home track.

i think it's doubtful. The announcement, if any, will not come until Indy at the earliest. It's also the best time, since that is where the most media will be in either OW series all year.

devilmaster
04-14-06, 06:59 PM
i think it's doubtful. The announcement, if any, will not come until Indy at the earliest. It's also the best time, since that is where the most media will be in either OW series all year.

Hopefully they have breathalyzers in all pace vehicles this year ;)

cameraman
04-14-06, 07:26 PM

They will be lucky to see 20 drivers show up muchless anyone else...

matthole
04-14-06, 09:40 PM
That was the weekend FTG showed up at the CART race and declared, "I bring my hammer to work everyday."

Actually, he said that a few weeks later at the 'open wheel summit'. (http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/05/24/spt_putting_irl_before.html) Still, it was quite obvious with him in Japan at the CART race that something was about to happen. Interesting that they can't seem to stop the current merger rubbish from flowing out of IMS-land these days, but they managed to keep a pretty decent clamp on the 'future announcements' just a few years ago. The 'summit' was also where he announced his 'five year plan' to make the earl bigger than sledcar & F1. :gomer: :rofl: How's that coming along?!

I think the crew that made the pilgrimage to LB was equally interesting. I am more intruiged about just who or what will arrive at Watkins Glen the week following this years' edition of the cheap, fake, lame imitation of the 500. :shrug: That should say quite a bit about the state of the 'league'.

Insomniac
04-15-06, 10:24 AM
I think the crew that made the pilgrimage to LB was equally interesting. I am more intruiged about just who or what will arrive at Watkins Glen the week following this years' edition of the cheap, fake, lame imitation of the 500. :shrug: That should say quite a bit about the state of the 'league'.

I still find it intersesting Penske wasn't there.

Spicoli
04-15-06, 11:34 AM
Actually, he said that a few weeks later at the 'open wheel summit'. (http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/05/24/spt_putting_irl_before.html) Still, it was quite obvious with him in Japan at the CART race that something was about to happen. Interesting that they can't seem to stop the current merger rubbish from flowing out of IMS-land these days, but they managed to keep a pretty decent clamp on the 'future announcements' just a few years ago. The 'summit' was also where he announced his 'five year plan' to make the earl bigger than sledcar & F1. :gomer: :rofl: How's that coming along?!

You are correct on all counts, Mr. Matthole. :thumbup:

Did you make the pilgramage to the Fanfest at Hoestead again this year? Those fotos you had from last year were funny as hell. :D

Winston Wolfe
04-15-06, 03:23 PM

isn't it pronounced "MoN-tegi"? (/porky page mode/) :gomer:

matthole
04-15-06, 04:06 PM
You are correct on all counts, Mr. Matthole.

I know. Kinda creepy how I'm right so often, eh? :gomer:

Did you make the pilgramage to the Fanfest at Hoestead again this year? Those fotos you had from last year were funny as hell.

Wow, time flies when I devote myself to publicly disparaging all things earl (cause they deserve it, and a lot more) - those pics were 3 years ago! :saywhat: :eek: They haven't done that promo rubbish in the same fashion since 04. This year, it was HEAVY tv & radio spots. Not cheap ones (time-wise, not content) either. All they got for it was red hats and aluminum, as usual. The mighty Gene Simmons :saywhat: 'marketing' deal had exactly zero impact. St Theftberg looked way worse than last year (and apparently got a stellar .3) even without the 'airshow'.

I really hope FTG had to book all the banner planes that weekend.

Spicoli
04-15-06, 06:32 PM
I really hope FTG had to book all the banner planes that weekend.

That was epic. :D

A "common friend" of mine and TG's asked me about that. He said he was standing near TG when it flew by. He saw it alright. Asked me if I knew anything about it. I blamed some rabid Canadian fans. You know, the same fans that are still pizzed at him about PT's Indy race/theft.

:gomer:

Gomers believe anything.

formulaben
04-15-06, 08:29 PM
pictures, please!