PDA

View Full Version : Let's see an Airbus do this...

mapguy
04-14-06, 05:35 AM
The 757 is the hotrod of the air.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-757_departure.wmv

Crank up the volume for this one.

chop456
04-14-06, 06:33 AM
I hope they warned the passengers before they did that. :D

mapguy
04-14-06, 06:44 AM
Ladies and gentleman please return to your seats as we perform a low flyby. please excpect a pressure drop as we perform a steep climb. Your sickness bags are in the seat in front of you. Have a nice flight

RaceGrrl
04-14-06, 07:13 AM
:eek: :D

Holy crap!

Turbodog
04-14-06, 08:04 AM
The 757 is the hotrod of the air.

I have always said that. I used to watch UPS lift off up at DFW when I worked up there. DL and AA were ok but UPS would skyrocket

Warlock!
04-14-06, 08:31 AM
Sweet Jezus! I'd like to have seen the video roll another 15 seconds at the end of that one. :eek:

Insomniac
04-14-06, 08:35 AM
Nice. :)

Wheel-Nut
04-14-06, 08:44 AM
[airbus pilot] Ladies and gentleman please return to your seats as we perform a low flyby. please excpect a pressure drop as we perform a steep climb. Your sickness bags are in the seat in front of you. Don't worry about the wing flex, the EU has told us 7m flex either way is within specs. Have a nice flight .[/airbus pilot]

Turn7
04-14-06, 10:37 AM
What the hell was that? Al-queda training?

racer2c
04-14-06, 10:57 AM
Hell, I've done hundreds of hammerheads, tailslids, inverts and loops with a couple dozen Mulleroids thrown in for fun in a 737...

...in my flight sim. :gomer: (stress physics turned off, although I can go 'vert with is on)

KLang
04-14-06, 11:26 AM
What the hell was that?

Really. :eek: Was this some sort of demo by Boeing? Or just somebody out joy-riding? :laugh:

Gnam
04-14-06, 11:30 AM
super good.

Wally
04-14-06, 12:27 PM
Sweet Jezus! I'd like to have seen the video roll another 15 seconds at the end of that one. :eek:

Yeah, how did he pull out of that climb?

Ankf00
04-14-06, 12:57 PM
phatty vid :thumbup:

oddlycalm
04-14-06, 03:37 PM
Looks like a test flight at the test field at Moses Lake, although it didn't look quite like Moses Lake to me. While a lot of the testing is done at Moses Lake the really extreme stuff is now done at Edwards in the Mohave. They are required to do some weird and alarming tests, some of which I've seen back in the 80's on the 767. One is a tail stress test where they pull back on the yoke and drag the tail section (equipped with skid pads) down the runway under pressure. Another is a series of engine-failure-departures where they shut down one engine just after rotation from various length take off rolls and document climb out performance on a single engine. They also do all the normal G testing, stalls and steep climbs that you have to do to get any air frame certificated by the FAA. Remember, they had to do it all on every version of the 747 as well, which gives you something to ponder.

In the social/business world the big invitation to get is for the new airplane rollout, but that's just a high end hanger party. The hot invite from where I sat was to go to Moses Lake and watch some flight testing.

If you want to read a blog that has some details of the 777 test program you can see it here. You have to read each month to get all of it. 777 test blog (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/777family/200LR/flight_test/archives/2005/05/index.html)

oc

RichK
04-14-06, 04:20 PM
Looks like a typical climb-out from Orange County to me... :confused:

RacinM3
04-14-06, 04:56 PM
Looks like a typical climb-out from Orange County to me... :confused:

Yeah, really, then a 75% reduction in throttle right about the time the airplane is vertical.

RichK
04-14-06, 05:08 PM
Yeah, really, then a 75% reduction in throttle right about the time the airplane is vertical.

:laugh: I knew you'd reply to that one!
The first time I flew out of John Wayne, I just about screamed like a little schoolgirl when the pilot cut the throttles with the nose pointed up. :eek:

Anteater
04-14-06, 05:08 PM
What RichK and RacinM3 said. I have almost blacked out during takeoff at John Wayne! :eek:

nissan gtp
04-14-06, 05:57 PM
though he was going for the loop ! :thumbup:

hammerhead ? :eek:

Rogue Leader
04-14-06, 06:30 PM
Try taking off and landing at Laguardia..... We call it the Aircraft Carrier around here!

Ankf00
04-14-06, 06:43 PM
The first time I flew out of John Wayne, I just about screamed like a little schoolgirl when the pilot cut the throttles with the nose pointed up. :eek:
I feel gypped, only flew into SNA for LBGP, left from LAX

chop456
04-14-06, 08:34 PM
Word on the street says its N.Z Air Force.

devilmaster
04-14-06, 08:46 PM
Reminded me of the time I flew on a C-130 with a pilot who just came back from transport duty in sarajevo during the war there.....

He showed us the how takeoffs are done when you assume there are snipers at the end of the runway......

Turbodog
04-14-06, 09:57 PM
Try taking off and landing at Laguardia..... We call it the Aircraft Carrier around here!

what about MDW

TrueBrit
04-14-06, 10:27 PM

I did that once....

ONCE....

It is quite un-nerving as you approach and all you see out of the window is the water getting nearer and nearer and nearer..and then WHAM end of the runway and thump down, full reverse, and gingerly attempt to put your eyeballs back in the correct sockets as you taxi to the gate.....

The only other occasion that I got really scared in a plane was on a flight to Vegas. I was going to a dog and pony show put on by a small Italian outfit that was looking for some venture capital for their little Alpine airline...It was on one of those corporate Lear jet thingys, and the cockpit door came open about halfway there...just as the two Italian pilots were gesticulating and arguing wildly to one another as they pored over a map....then one of them pointed downwards at the freeway and suggested something along the lines of "Well Guiseppe, let's just follow those guys....!!!

It's a bloody good thing that the booze was free otherwise the bartab would have been enormous.....

Ankf00
04-15-06, 01:00 AM
last time I was heading into LGA I was making jokes to my dad about the plane crashing, breaking up, wings snapping (lots of flex that day, quite windy), etc etc etc

No one was amused :gomer:

Turbodog
04-15-06, 01:19 PM
last time I was heading into LGA I was making jokes to my dad about the plane crashing, breaking up, wings snapping (lots of flex that day, quite windy), etc etc etc

No one was amused :gomer:

Have you ever been to that airshow at Ellington

Winston Wolfe
04-15-06, 03:26 PM
I really enjoy looking around at the "1st timers" when the plane reaches "Flat out \ throttle reduction" stage at SNA.... there is some serious pucker factor going on for the folks still wearing all their Disney \ Mickey Mouse gear and souvenir bags... funny stuff :thumbup:

nrc
04-15-06, 04:12 PM
Yeah, my favorite sign on an airport taxiway is "Quiet Zone 1 Mile". John Wayne was the worst - like someone threw an anchor out. I always appreciate a warning from the Captain before departure. Even then there were still a few :eek: in the cabin.

C'bus has a mild one if you depart going west at certain times, but they don't do that often. Usually they'll depart east even if you're going west and then just loop around outside C'bus.

Ankf00
04-15-06, 04:16 PM
Have you ever been to that airshow at Ellington
would go there every year when I was little, good times.

race chica
04-17-06, 08:02 PM
The plane I normally take into Mosinee WI is a little turbo prop. It only holds 12 passengers, one flight attendant and the pilot. The first time I flew on it the flight was super bumpy. About 1/2 way to CWA it got silent and the plane stopped vibrating. I thought we were going down. lol

Joe in LA
04-17-06, 08:20 PM
I really enjoy looking around at the "1st timers" when the plane reaches "Flat out \ throttle reduction" stage at SNA.... there is some serious pucker factor going on for the folks still wearing all their Disney \ Mickey Mouse gear and souvenir bags... funny stuff :thumbup:

On one flight out of SNA the pilot "warned" the passengers about the takeoff saying "Its the most exciting takeoff in commericial aviation." More than a few folks looked concerned.

aportinga
04-19-06, 11:53 AM
How about rolling a 707?

http://www.aviationexplorer.com/boeing_707_roll.wmv

rabbit
04-19-06, 01:23 PM
These guys are amazing (http://minimoke.free.fr/Insolites/caught_by_wind.mov) :eek:

Andrew Longman
04-19-06, 01:26 PM
what about MDW

Yup. You think you are going to wind up in someone's front yard. More like parallel parking than landing.

Anyone ever do Iron Mountain, MI? In a MD80 in order to get enough takeoff speed the pilot hits full throttle on the taxiway and then makes a hard left onto the runway. Thrill a minute

TravelGal
04-19-06, 02:34 PM
what about MDW

Washington National is no picnic either (have nearly met the Potomac up close and personal a couple of times) neither is San Diego. And, let's not even talk about Parkersburg, West Virginia!

Turbodog
04-19-06, 02:36 PM
Yup. You think you are going to wind up in someone's front yard. More like parallel parking than landing.

Anyone ever do Iron Mountain, MI? In a MD80 in order to get enough takeoff speed the pilot hits full throttle on the taxiway and then makes a hard left onto the runway. Thrill a minute

No, but I have flown into Rio Brazil and Assucion Paraguay. :gomer:

If memory serves me correct Rio you come in over the water and Assucion is like landing in a cow pasture :saywhat:

devilmaster
04-19-06, 02:44 PM
sounds like we need to take a trip back into the OC wayback machine.....

The Jumbo and Kai-Tak (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6604)

Turbodog
04-19-06, 03:13 PM
I actually flew on this airline back in 92. :gomer: Scary

http://photos.airliners.net/photos/photos/0/1/8/0346810.jpg

Turbodog
04-19-06, 03:27 PM
Rio's SDU regional airport

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0795900&size=M

Rio's Intl GIG

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0950524/M/

Turbodog
04-19-06, 03:31 PM
Better view of SDU from Sugar Loaf Mtn.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1023059/M/

Wheel-Nut
04-19-06, 03:38 PM
Washington National is no picnic either (have nearly met the Potomac up close and personal a couple of times) neither is San Diego. And, let's not even talk about Parkersburg, West Virginia!

Parkersburg, WV!! I actually know someone who lives there.