PDA

View Full Version : Goodwood Festival of Speed

Michaelhatesfans
04-14-06, 12:39 AM
This event is like crack for me, and I'm in agony that I can't go again this year. But check out the videos on the website. You should be on the phone with your travel agent by the end of the first video. Click on "The Experience" - if you feel a tear welling up in your eye, that's ok. There's also a video under the Press Day information. Have fun!
http://www.goodwood.co.uk/fos/

cart7
04-14-06, 11:10 AM
The best of vintage racecars being driven like they were supposed to be. What's not to like? :thumbup: :cool:

Rocketdoc
04-15-06, 02:10 AM
This, from the Goodwood website:

"

Mario Andretti
F1 world champion; four-time Indy champion; Daytona 500 winner; all-time great."

AJ Foit has to be choking on his sammich.

devilmaster
04-15-06, 03:11 AM
"all-time great."

Thats why Mario is better right there.

rosawendel
04-15-06, 08:23 AM
anyone been? looks like something worth researching... what are hotels like, etc...

nissan gtp
04-15-06, 08:30 AM
some year, I'm going to do the FOS... it's #1 on my "overseas" list :thumbup:

Michaelhatesfans
04-15-06, 03:12 PM
anyone been? looks like something worth researching... what are hotels like, etc...
I've been a couple of times now. An unbelievable MUST SEE event. I'm in a bit of a rush right now, but I'll get back to you on staying in the area if you're interested. I'll have to get my photos back online...

rosawendel
04-15-06, 04:20 PM
I've been a couple of times now. An unbelievable MUST SEE event. I'm in a bit of a rush right now, but I'll get back to you on staying in the area if you're interested. I'll have to get my photos back online...

well, i got a green light from the missus (and she put up with the "woodstock-esque" experience of lemans last year, so that's really saying something - but i think a hotel would be in order this time around... her days of tent camping are pretty much over), so i definately want to learn more about it.

Winston Wolfe
04-16-06, 02:53 PM

MHF - since you have been there b4, can you make a few suggestions about what is better, the "hillclimb", or the track race ?
And besides airfare costs, what can you expect to pay for the "good tickets" that someone is gonna want with it being kind of a "one off" event?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have !

Michaelhatesfans
04-17-06, 04:42 PM
Until I get the local info for some of you...
http://community.webshots.com/album/404361405
:cool:

Winston Wolfe
04-18-06, 12:48 AM
those shots are GREAT, MHF....

I checked your other ones as well.... funny, I took my kids to the British Railway Museum as well, and was quite impressed w\ their set-up, and took the kids for a ride on the same train you did :thumbup:

I am planning a trip to Liverpool \ Newcastle this July, to see some of my family over there. Would like to get a feel for what a journey to Goodwood would cost me and my cousin.... if you can give it a guess-timate and let me know what you think.... I'd be much obliged !

Michaelhatesfans
04-18-06, 01:05 AM
I'll do both of your questions,

The hillclimb is the Festival of Speed. The proper race meet, The Revival, is at a separate location nearby, at the original Goodwood circuit. I haven't been to The Revival, only the Festival of Speed. I drove into the original track by accident on my first trip - I thought I had stumbled out of a time machine. If you play a lot of GP Legends, you'll be freaked out by the place!

From what I've heard, the Festival of Speed offers better access and more of a "garden party" atmosphere, whereas The Revival is more of a traditional vintage race - on steroids. I like the Festival, because you can just wander around the paddock and check out the cars and no one is in any particular rush. A bunch of fantastic cars and drivers. Where else can you snap a photo of Barry Sheene having a chat with Eddie Jordan? At The Revival, a full field of vintage cars and drivers of every era will race hard in a series of class races; at the Festival of Speed Jenson Button will stop halfway up the hill and do donuts and burnouts in the new BAR until your ears bleed.

To it's credit, though, The Revival sounds awesome, and if I lived in the area I'd do both without thinking twice. You can't go into the paddock unless you are in period dress, and only vintage cars and bikes are allowed into the infield parking area.

I found the brochure for both events with ticket prices, etc;
http://www.goodwood.co.uk/2004/PDF/motorsport/Motor_Goodwood.pdf

If you're going, you will need a car to get around. It's a bit remote. I understand that Chichester (nearest town) fills up early, but you don't have to be right there. For a Yank, England is a tiny place, so don't worry about being in the next town. I was staying with someone just outside of Winchester - it looks like a million miles on the map, but it only took me 30 - 40 minutes to get to Goodwood. If you get up a bit early, you can beat the traffic. If I were you, I'd look at the villages between Midhurst and Chichester for a B&B, or east to Arundel - a decent sized town with a nice castle.

Ok, feeling like a geek now. :gomer: Let me know if you need anything else!

NismoZ
04-18-06, 08:30 AM
Wow! Chuck Daigh! Won the first sports car race I ever attended driving Reventlow's MkI Scarab. Probably the reason I'm posting today! Glad to see he's still around.