PDA

View Full Version : Tracy second thoughts on NASCAR?

nrc
04-11-06, 09:06 AM
Tracy is talking about extending his contract with Forsythe. Bad taste from his NASCAR experience? The possibility of a merger bringing the opportunity to punt another Andretti?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060410.TRACY10/TPStory/Sports

Spicoli
04-11-06, 01:28 PM
he wants to kick heliio's ass again.

cameraman
04-11-06, 01:31 PM
I'm surprised that he would want to get that close to it...

oddlycalm
04-11-06, 02:45 PM
Probably a combination of the strong possibility of unification and not having a front-of-the-grid car in Busch.

I suspect Tracy thought he could always go to NASCAR when he wanted to without really exploring it in any depth. If he was still with Penske that might have been the case, but he's not and none of the top teams in NASCAR has a lot of interest in developing an older driver that is new to the cars and the series. I don't think it will be any different in 2-3yrs and in fact it may well be worse.

oc

racer2c
04-11-06, 03:13 PM
Speed covered this a few weeks ago.

Paul Tracy's partial NASCAR Busch Series campaign this season hinted at a switch to stock car racing for 2007, but a trio of difficult starts for the small Frank Cicci racing team has the Canadian questioning his original plan.

"It's going to take a little longer than I thought it was going to take to break into NASCAR," he told autosport.com. "You're just not going to walk into a Cup deal with a top team. It's not going to happen. You can get a ride on a second-rate team, but do you really want to do that? I don't think so.

"There's a huge disparity in the quality of equipment even in Busch. Even though all the cars look the same, everybody is building their own chassis, suspension, bodywork and engines, so there are huge disparities in the levels of performance."

Thus the 2003 Champ Car champion's future is likely to remain tied to the CCWS for a while: "Unless a top Cup deal was to come along, which doesn't really look likely, what I would probably do is stay in Champ Car."

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/22796/)

TKGAngel
04-11-06, 04:51 PM
Maybe he doesn't want his wife to get beat up by Greg Biffle's girlfriend? ;)

Sean O'Gorman
04-11-06, 05:05 PM
Nah I heard Michael Waltrip said they texted each other and made up. :laugh:

nrc
05-10-06, 11:51 PM
NSSN is reporting that Tracy has signed a three year extension with Forsythe. The deal is to be announced tomorrow.

tllips
05-11-06, 08:48 AM
NSSN is reporting that Tracy has signed a three year extension with Forsythe. The deal is to be announced tomorrow.

I got the headline via GoogleNews Alerts, but the site said it was a subscriptioin.

The headline in GoogleNews made it seem like Tracy was not going to finish the Busch races he is already scheduled to race. Is that what the article stated? OR Has PT already finished his committment to the Busch races?

nrc
05-11-06, 09:22 AM
I got the headline via GoogleNews Alerts, but the site said it was a subscriptioin.

The headline in GoogleNews made it seem like Tracy was not going to finish the Busch races he is already scheduled to race. Is that what the article stated? OR Has PT already finished his committment to the Busch races?

Don't know - I got that info out of the teaser paragraph on their front page. Anyone here subscribed to NSSN?

NismoZ
05-11-06, 09:51 AM
Look for an announcement later today. My understanding is PT and Forsythe reached agreement at LB to continue in CC through 2011! Stock cars out, ChampCar IN! Good for us. Now, will he be able to stand the pressure from Wirth next year? :p Add: To do 10 NASCAR races in '07 as well. Wow.

Dr. Corkski
05-11-06, 09:51 AM
NSSN is reporting that Tracy has signed a three year extension with Forsythe. The deal is to be announced tomorrow. :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown:

Spicoli
05-11-06, 10:11 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060511/SPORTS01/605110496/1004/SPORTS

lEncouraged by the merger talks, Champ Car veteran Paul Tracy has decided to forgo a jump to NASCAR and will announce today in Houston a five-year extension of his contract at Forsythe Racing.
Although he still believes he was wrongly declared the runner-up in a controversial finish to the 2002 Indy 500, Tracy said by phone from Houston that he would welcome a return if a merger happens.
"If they get back together and all the best drivers in the world are there again, that's something that definitely would interest me," Tracy said. "I still feel like I won that race, even if I don't have the trophy. But I'd like to come back and get another shot at winning there."

:thumbup:

rosawendel
05-11-06, 10:17 AM
whatever races he has left in bush (2 more?) probably won't be... er... "comfortable", i don't think.

racer2c
05-11-06, 10:23 AM
whatever races he has left in bush (2 more?) probably won't be... er... "comfortable", i don't think.

Why? NASCAR participants are oblivious to "them over there".