PDA

View Full Version : Cars on the track in Utah

cameraman
04-10-06, 01:14 PM
Things are coming together quickly. It looks like the Flying Lizards will be here testing a week from Friday and Penske Motorsports has rented the entire facility for June 1 & 2. I have to admit to being a little surprised to see Andersen Racing rent the entire facility for a two day Star Mazda test. I didn't think Star Mazda teams had that kind of budget.

The track is huge, pictures of some Shelbys (I am pretty sure those white specks are Shelbys) give you an idea of the size of the place.

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/images/PicUploads/PICT0655.JPG

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/images/PicUploads/PICT0662.JPG

Also anyone interested in the AMA Superbikes, tickets are on sale now. The most expensive 3 day reserved seat/paddock access pass is $80 (actually 4 days since it includes the Thursday open practice). The same pass without the reserved grandstand seat is $50. Race day only GA is $35.

The General Admission Ticket is all that is required for admission to the paddock.

The spectator layout looks like this:

http://media.ticketmaster.com/en-us/tmimages/venue/maps/mtn/15471s.gif

And the track rules sound more like a basketball game than they do Road America :shakehead
General Rules:
No outside food or drink is allowed in the venue. Concessions are available. Snack foods and sundries are also available at the retail shops located in the Welcome Center. Beer will be sold at the concession stands to patrons 21 and older.

Children Rules:
All children 12 and under are "free" in General Admission areas, as long as accompanied by an adult. In Grandstand seating, children under 2 may sit in a lap, and children 2-12 must have a paid ticket.

chop456
04-10-06, 01:22 PM
What's the composition of all that runoff, hard or soft?

RichK
04-10-06, 05:49 PM
I have to admit to being a little surprised to see Andersen Racing rent the entire facility for a two day Star Mazda test. I didn't think Star Mazda teams had that kind of budget.

Wait 'til you see how many Mazda teams have full-on transporters - it's crazy how much money is involved with that series now.

And the track rules sound more like a basketball game than they do Road America :shakehead

You can't bring your own food/drink, and they'll charge a 3 year old admission for a seat? :shakehead

Spicoli
04-10-06, 06:04 PM
Where is the shade?

cameraman
04-10-06, 06:11 PM
http://www.imsaracing.net/2003/photos/atlanta/umbrellaGirl.jpg

Spicoli
04-10-06, 06:13 PM
Ah, genetically superior Maxi Papis!

FCYTravis
04-10-06, 06:40 PM
Wait 'til you see how many Mazda teams have full-on transporters - it's crazy how much money is involved with that series now.
Easier to list the teams that *don't* have full-on transporters.

Wally
04-10-06, 06:45 PM
You can't bring your own food/drink, and they'll charge a 3 year old admission for a seat? :shakehead[/QUOTE]

Yep, thats larry miller style. :rolleyes:

cameraman
04-10-06, 07:05 PM
It saves me a twelve hour trek to Portland so I'm not going to complain too loud...

pchall
04-10-06, 07:15 PM
You can't bring your own food/drink, and they'll charge a 3 year old admission for a seat? :shakehead

Hey, but don't forget that with the Mormon Family Track Pack™ the second, third, and fourth wives get in free!

oddlycalm
04-10-06, 07:35 PM
Where is the shade? Dude, think F1 in Bahrain but without F1; big new track, no vegetation, no shade, no bringy beer.

oc

RichK
04-10-06, 07:54 PM
Hey, but don't forget that with the Mormon Family Track Pack™ the second, third, and fourth wives get in free!

:laugh: That's great, but now you've got to pay for two, three, four times the kids! :eek:

cameraman
04-10-06, 08:17 PM
General admission - kids under 13 are free.

The track is 95% general admission

There is a reason for that :rolleyes:

cameraman
04-17-06, 04:58 PM
They will have some prime RV parking spots. The RV parking spots are in a fantastic location on the track. I was out there this weekend watching the bikes. That is one plush track. The ALMS and GA folks are going to be very happy with the F1 spec garages right on the pit lane. The hospitality tents are right on top of the garages. For the general admission folks there will be people movers driving the perimeter of the track during all the races. You'll be able to get from place to place easily. The sightlines are pretty amazing, it is actually a little confusing, you could look at a section of the track and see bikes going in five different directions all in the same glance.

Spicoli
04-17-06, 06:02 PM
Dude, think F1 in Bahrain but without F1; big new track, no vegetation, no shade, no bringy beer.

oc

so - wtf would anyone go?

I know the mormons won't mind, cause they no drinky anyway, but ....... sounds like a recipe even cramp N brew wouldn't take up. :shakehead

cameraman
04-17-06, 06:04 PM
so - wtf would anyone go?

To watch a race?

Spicoli
04-17-06, 07:17 PM
To watch a race?

I, for one, enjoy a cold beer as part of my ritual of racingness. :p

( :confused: evidently you do not?)

indyfan31
04-17-06, 07:24 PM

good for you! But some of us do not.

pchall
04-18-06, 09:52 AM
Are there any plans at all to make the landscape at that track any more fan friendly? Grass, shade trees, or even just anything to make it easier on the eyes? Right now it looks like the world's largest FIA gravel trap.

cameraman
04-18-06, 12:00 PM
They are seeding the entire infield with drought tolerant grasses. They are already sprouting in some places. (The layer of snow that arrived last night isn't helping that process.) Trees will be a decade or more before they will be big enough to provide much shade.

cameraman
04-18-06, 12:03 PM

Depends on the race. In Vancouver we rarely had time and we were not interested in carrying coolers. At MMP they will have beer on tap and a nine hour Grand Am race will probably require a few...