PDA

View Full Version : Who?

rabbit
04-10-06, 12:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=5&id=2403068

Several familiar faces were roaming the Champ Car paddock at Long Beach, the most surprising being Michael Andretti, who joined fellow IRL team owners Chip Ganassi and Bobby Rahal in meetings with principals from Champ Car, Honda and Ford. Champ Car's Kevin Kalkhoven confirmed that his company is still working with IRL leaders in an effort to unify American open-wheel racing.

"We're still talking, though there are definitely people who are trying to stop it from happening," Kalkhoven said.

KLang
04-10-06, 12:59 PM
The only public statements I've seen recently that weren't supportive have been Penske. But I think he was just whining because he isn't a 'player'.

Nascar perhaps?

Chief
04-10-06, 01:04 PM
Gotta be Penske, the only peep we're heard from him is a complaint because he wasn't involved.

Capt'n needs to be reminded he sold out CART for the IRL, his say was gone with his IPO rake.

Napoleon
04-10-06, 01:17 PM
Duh, I miss read original post.

Racing Truth
04-10-06, 01:21 PM
I've read on other boards that 'ole Marxie says it is Penske and France family. Idea being that Penske is spearheading Yoda Cup effort and is still beholden to ISC overlords.

I dunno, and this is MarkC, so who knows.

Small, subsidized teams in BOTH series have to be nervous too.

Say what I will, it looks like the likes Andretti the Whiner, Rahal, and Floyd are on board, along w/ HOMOCO. If Penske leaves, he leaves.

pressdog
04-10-06, 01:24 PM
Last I heard AJ Foyt was against the merger, or thought it made little if any sense.

mueber
04-10-06, 02:05 PM
Last I heard AJ Foyt was against the merger, or thought it made little if any sense.

Let's see, if two negatives make a positive, and Foyt does not makes sense, and Foyt thinks a merger does not make sense, that means a merger makes sense, right?

KK has to be talking about some of the hangers on at Gomerville, ya know, Foyt, Rutherford, Nation, Hemelgarn, etc.

Accipiter
04-10-06, 04:55 PM

So? Foyt doesn't have any power. How could he muck up the works?

TravelGal
04-10-06, 05:07 PM
comments I heard put it directly at Penske and the France family.

Andrew Longman
04-10-06, 05:12 PM
KK has to be talking about some of the hangers on at Gomerville, ya know, Foyt, Rutherford, Nation, Hemelgarn, etc.

Exactly. Foyt and Hemelgarn have been quoted in the press. There are surely entrenched hanger ons in TG circle also hammering on with the "what do they bring?" theme.

They may not have much power but these people are TG self validating support group. You can't expect him to just abandon his "friends" to same the golden goose that is keeping them all in jobs.

Those yahoos are what got CART started and overcoming their narrow world/racing view is no small part of fixing this mess

Penske is just pissed because no one is fawning over him (or any other team for that matter).

Spicoli
04-10-06, 05:40 PM
Whoever is directly on the "tony-tit" is against it.

I REALLY doubt Cappy liverspots cares one way or another. He just wants to race at Indy.

Chief
04-10-06, 05:45 PM
Whoever is directly on the "tony-tit" is against it

Maybe it'll be son-of-CART III/IRL II? It's plausable...naaah.

pchall
04-10-06, 07:36 PM
Small, subsidized teams in BOTH series have to be nervous too.

Foyt Racing, Dreyer & Reinbold, Panther, Hemelgarn, and Cheever are just floaters waiting for the final flush.

NismoZ
04-10-06, 07:59 PM
Foyt, Barnes, & NASCAR...for certain sure!

Racing Truth
04-10-06, 08:06 PM
Whoever is directly on the "tony-tit" is against it.

I REALLY doubt Cappy liverspots cares one way or another. He just wants to race at Indy.

Oh, he'll still do THAT, even if OW implodes fully. He'll just do it in tin tops (BY400).

If the Penske/France rumor is right, then I'm nervous. Neither Foyt nor Barnes have any real power to stop a merger; Liverspots and the France gang, however, DO.

Still not sure if I believe that NASCAR is that over-paranoid though.

jcollins28
04-10-06, 09:31 PM
Don't under estimate Foyt. He is a loon just like Tony George. Crazy people tend to listen to other crazy people.

pchall
04-10-06, 09:49 PM
Oh, he'll still do THAT, even if OW implodes fully. He'll just do it in tin tops (BY400).

If the Penske/France rumor is right, then I'm nervous. Neither Foyt nor Barnes have any real power to stop a merger; Liverspots and the France gang, however, DO.

Still not sure if I believe that NASCAR is that over-paranoid though.

NASCAR is that greedy, though. I've long said that the France Mafia believes that every motorsports entertainment dollar spent in North America belongs to them.

racer2c
04-10-06, 09:59 PM
NASCAR is that greedy, though. I've long said that the France Mafia believes that every motorsports entertainment dollar spent in North America belongs to them.

I agree wholeheartedly, I'm just trying to get my head around how they could be a roadblock to a merger.

I also think it's weird that MA and Rahal would choose a ChampCar race to discuss entering the ALMS with Honda.

extramundane
04-10-06, 11:54 PM
I also think it's weird that MA and Rahal would choose a ChampCar race to discuss entering the ALMS with Honda.

Rahal was there w/ Graham, Atherton was there to hand-deliver Kalkhoven's new Esperante and HPD's not too far away. It was probably quite convenient.

racer2c
04-10-06, 11:58 PM
MERGER MOMENTUM

From the looks of the Long Beach paddock and environs this weekend, one might conclude the much-mooted Champ Car/Indy Racing League merger had already taken place. Chip Ganassi, Michael Andretti and Bobby Rahal were much in evidence, even if Ganassi was overseeing his Grand-Am race team and Rahal was keeping watch on son Graham’s Champ Car Atlantic debut. At other times Robert Clarke, boss of Honda Performance Development, and Scott Dixon were spotted in the paddock, and the annual Racer magazine party was graced not only by Ganassi but 2005 IndyCar Series champion driver Dan Wheldon.

It has been widely reported that Ganassi, Andretti, Rahal and Clarke met with RuSPORT boss Carl Russo on Saturday, and this morning Clarke confirmed he had met with Champ Car co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven.

“In our opinion, neither series is healthy,” said Clarke. “If you were to take away the subsidies from both series they would likely disappear. Unless the two series get together it’s hard to see how the future will be anything but a steady downward path.

“What I want people here to know is, number one, how important Honda believes this process to be and number two, to let them know that Honda will do anything we can to move the process forward. We do not want to be an impediment and we will do anything within the scope of our business plan to help the process. I’ve told the same thing to Tony and Kevin.

“(A merger) just makes so much sense. And the process is much further along than it’s ever been before. The question is whether it can finally make it over the hump. There’s still a long way to go, but I’m hopeful.”

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/22995/)

Insomniac
04-11-06, 08:25 AM
Don't under estimate Foyt. He is a loon just like Tony George. Crazy people tend to listen to other crazy people.

Or we're all crazy! ;)

KLang
04-11-06, 09:26 AM
“What I want people here to know is, number one, how important Honda believes this process to be and number two, to let them know that Honda will do anything we can to move the process forward. We do not want to be an impediment and we will do anything within the scope of our business plan to help the process. I’ve told the same thing to Tony and Kevin.

“(A merger) just makes so much sense. And the process is much further along than it’s ever been before. The question is whether it can finally make it over the hump. There’s still a long way to go, but I’m hopeful.”

Anyone here have any faith in anything Clarke says? :rolleyes:

I hope someone has filled in KK on the history here.

pchall
04-11-06, 09:43 AM
I agree wholeheartedly, I'm just trying to get my head around how they could be a roadblock to a merger.

All the France Mafia needs to do is whisper that a "merger" of openwheel interests means the end of the Brickyard 400 and IRL access to ISC tracks and Tony George folds.

Racing Truth
04-11-06, 10:08 AM
All the France Mafia needs to do is whisper that a "merger" of openwheel interests means the end of the Brickyard 400 and IRL access to ISC tracks and Tony George folds.

If you're right, then yes. Though I can't see NASCAR actually dumping the BY400.

NismoZ
04-11-06, 11:22 AM
But that is OK. I think NASCAB will keep the 400 regardless and go ahead, TAKE your ISC tracks away from a merged series. (which ones are they, by the way? :) ...don't think I'd miss 'em. Heck they'd probably be doing us a favor!)

NismoZ
04-11-06, 11:40 AM
As far as Clarke goes; When he stated "Honda will do anything necessary" then qualifies it in business terms, I think he was not only showing support for a merger but communicating a message that he is willing to use the 2.65 turbo and accept KKs "controls" on engine development and costs and level ($$) of manufacturer involvment. He may have signed an agreement to supply engines to the IRL 'til '09 but I think he, along with Andretti, Rahal and Ganassi are sending TG a very clear message. He can still live up to that bargain within a merged series. I still wonder and worry more about Roger Penske and what he is thinking or doing. His usefulness to Porsche may end sooner rather than later if the P2 car is made available sooner rather than later. Will his Ilmor interest translate to a roll in the merger? Will HE become a partner in the merger or in IMS? The Speedway stands to gain much from a merger. I think he'd like a piece of that. ;)

pchall
04-11-06, 12:29 PM
But that is OK. I think NASCAB will keep the 400 regardless and go ahead, TAKE your ISC tracks away from a merged series. (which ones are they, by the way? :) ...don't think I'd miss 'em. Heck they'd probably be doing us a favor!)

If Tony can't bring ISC track races into a merger he has squat. All he is in that case is the owner of a single track.

KLang
04-11-06, 12:43 PM
All he is in that case is the owner of a single track.

Isn't that pretty much the only thing he has ever had. :mad:

Open wheel is so far off most peoples radar I find it hard to believe Nascar/ISC would even bother trying to interfere.

Cam
04-11-06, 01:13 PM
Isn't that pretty much the only thing he has ever had. :mad:

That and a maniacal ego. :gomer:

oddlycalm
04-11-06, 03:15 PM
Last I heard AJ Foyt was against the merger Certainly true and Foyt has always had TG's ear. In a merged series Foyt is nowhere, just where he was in CART. On top of that he doesn't like the people. This is a very important relationship to TG.

Anyone that doesn't think people are strongly influenced by their friends and those they have long relationships with has never done a lot of business. This is why KK has take the time to get to know TG on a personal level as that's what was missing in past overtures. He was also trying to keep it quiet until he had a done deal, which didn't happen.

As for the Frances, it's no accident where NASCAR is today and where OW is. Whether they directly encouraged TG to split with CART will likely never be known, but anyone that doesn't think they play hardball is kidding themselves.

oc