1999: 1.9
1998: 1.9
1997: 1.8
1996: 2.2

http://www.motorsportstv.com/04022003.htm

devilmaster
04-02-03, 12:43 PM
huh?

What happened to these great ratings that would sound the death knell for CART?????

I've read a few times that a test pattern on network gets a rating of 1.

nuff said.

Steve

Turn7
04-02-03, 12:44 PM
Wow. The overnight was 1.8. How did they miss the estimate by that much?

mapguy
04-02-03, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Wow. The overnight was 1.8. How did they miss the estimate by that much?

They factored in everone else outside Marion County.

mapguy
04-02-03, 12:57 PM
I am a dork with a reading comprehension problem.

sundaydriver
04-02-03, 01:11 PM
Isn't part of Tony's Vision to sink open wheel racing into oblivion?

I think he's doing a tremendous job. :thumbup:

SteveH
04-02-03, 01:12 PM
ABC was going to fix the ratings.
Then it was Al Unser Jr. was going to fix it.
Then Penske was going to fix it.
Then, Toyota & Honda was going to fix it.
And the CART team defection was going to fix it.

And I remember several years ago, Tony George was going to fix it.

mapguy
04-02-03, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by SteveH

And I remember several years ago, Tony George was going to fix it.

Wait until next year. ;)

Eagle104
04-02-03, 01:25 PM
One of my favorites is how it takes time to fix the damage CART had done..........

I guess they're talking about LARGE crowds/ratings nearly everywhere, pre-tantrum.

They have no excuses now...they have it all...they even have CART's previous most successful American(s).

Time for results...........

Racewriter
04-02-03, 02:19 PM

And interestingly enough, each one of those things has pushed the ratings lower. The Tony Stewart IRL was much more widely watched than the Sam/Helio IRL. There's a message there somewhere.

Railbird
04-02-03, 02:38 PM
The best one IMHO is that it took CART time to destroy it so it will take the IRL time to save it.

Apparently none of those gasbags were attending Championship races during the USAC era. CART saved Champ racing whether they want to admit it or not, I was there to see it happen.

DaveL
04-02-03, 02:54 PM
What Railbird said.

And in Lemming math, 2.2->.9 is "growing ratings".

SteveH
04-02-03, 03:59 PM
Obviously, Indy is hurting as well, saw ticket commercials on ESPN a week ago Saturday. I'm sure it will eventually be sold out, but anyone want to bet what Indy's TV rating will be? A few more ticks down the scale from last year, maybe?

Racewriter
04-02-03, 04:41 PM
Obviously, Indy is hurting as well, saw ticket commercials on ESPN a week ago Saturday. I'm sure it will eventually be sold out, but anyone want to bet what Indy's TV rating will be? A few more ticks down the scale from last year, maybe?

Last year was a 4.8.

Fearless prediction: 4.5 or less.

pchall
04-02-03, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
What Railbird said.

Agreed. The USAC Championship Trail had the wheezes starting in 1971 and it took a bunch of road racers to revive it.

Hot Rod Otis
04-02-03, 05:00 PM

Yes, Indy has PLENTY of tickets still available. As of last Friday, you could still get plenty of double lettered row seats in both the North and NorthEast Vistas. There were seats as high as Row M in the South Vista as well. Now that was something that would have been impossible during the C^RT era @ Indy. I got 2 in the North Vista, Row DD. Wanna bet if I renew for '04, I'll get an upgrade? My sister got her tickets upgraded, the ones she brought 2 days before last years race, after having them for 1 year. Used to be you went a lifetime without getting an upgrade.:shakehead

I'm glad Tony "fixed" things. :shakehead

cart7
04-02-03, 05:15 PM
There were definite holes in the North short chute last year, regardless of lemming spin. Many scalpers were selling tiks at face or below the day before the race. It's not the same since '95. The race used to be an event and it's not anymore. :shakehead :gomer:

DaveL
04-02-03, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter

That number (in millions) will also be equal to the of excuses, rationalizations, and explainations from the Lemmings for the rating. They'll still be trying to convince themselves that record low ratings and entries are all signs of Tony's great leadership and signs that everything is heading in the right direction...oh, and the split was necessary and worth it.

Napoleon
04-02-03, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
Last year was a 4.8.

Sub 4

You heard it hear first.

Eagle104
04-02-03, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Sub 4

You heard it hear first.

That would put it below the '95 CART US 500, wouldn't it?

Chief
04-03-03, 12:41 AM
I believe you meant the 96 US 500.

Eagle104
04-03-03, 01:25 AM
'96? .. works for me. Thanks.

rabbit
04-03-03, 11:21 AM
And the 96 US 500 was on ESPN. So if a race opposite the Indy 500 broadcast on cable tv outdraws Indy on network tv...

Now THAT'S growth!:shakehead

I smell a column.

JLMannin
04-03-03, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
What Railbird said.

And in Lemming math, 2.2->.9 is "growing ratings".

If they "subtract out" the casual race fans that thought they were watching a CART race, then they could create an image of ratings growth. Just like they did with the attendance figures.

Of course, you are all ingoring a very important word in the vision: opportunity. The IRL was created to provide the opportunity for earnings growth.

Racewriter
04-03-03, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Eagle104
That would put it below the '95 CART US 500, wouldn't it?

No.

ESPN, 2.8.

http://www.bjwor.com/96tvratg.html#1996%20television%20ratings

SteveH
04-03-03, 01:41 PM
2.8 sure looks great today. More people watched the US 500 being broadcast against the Indy 500 than watch any irl or CART race today, with the excpetion of Indy. This alone shows us how far the sport has fallen.

Peter Venkman
04-05-03, 03:42 PM
"I am a dork with a reading comprehension problem."

Don't feel bad... we meet every Thursday night at eight....

Hurling Frootmig
04-06-03, 08:18 PM
Tony George is the poster child for why Silver Spooned Children should have to go out and earn their own money.

Tony George has managed to save open wheel racing from dominance in the market and has allowed NASCAR to grow unchecked.