PDA

View Full Version : Possible Last minute Trek to Long Beach from Las Vegas, need some help!

Brian_R
04-07-06, 03:20 PM
I'm headed to Las Vegas Saturday for a conference that starts on Monday. I get in to LAS at 10:20PM local time Saturday night. I'm thinking about driving to Long Beach for Sunday's activities, however I need to pick up a coworker back at the airport in Las Vegas (His flight arrives at 10:20PM Sunday night).

Here's my questions:

A) How's the drive from Las Vegas to Long Beach? Any recommended routes? (Google is saying I-15 to CA-60 to CA-57 to CA-22)

B) How bad is the traffic after the race? Is there a snowball's chance in hell that I'll make it back in time?

C) For a first time Long Beach attendee, where's a good place to experience the race (I have some ideas, but I would figure the LB regulars would know best!)

Hopefully I can make this work (and not fall asleep at the wheel!)

Thanks in advance!

Gnam
04-07-06, 04:14 PM
Las Vegas is an hour away from LAX by plane. A round trip ticket is a couple of hundred bucks. Cab fare may be pricey, but you could drink at the track all day.

As for your co-worker tell him to hitch. :thumbup:

Ankf00
04-07-06, 05:51 PM
www.southwestairlines.com

Turbodog
04-07-06, 05:54 PM
www.southwestairlines.com

I already looked at SWA he gets there too late on Sat.

BTW my neaighbor, she is a SWA F/A ;)

Ankf00
04-07-06, 06:05 PM
In that case, introductions are in order :)

AA has the fugliest FA's, you'd think a D F dub based airline would have it off the hook, but no... *shudder*

Turbodog
04-07-06, 06:17 PM
In that case, introductions are in order :)

AA has the fugliest FA's, you'd think a D F dub based airline would have it off the hook, but no... *shudder*

no Am West/US-Air does. I cut off drinking on a flight to PHX by this spike haired dyke who plainly hated men :rolleyes: she was fugly

My neighbor claims to be a lez but I know she still likes dudes :laugh:

CARTNUT
04-07-06, 09:43 PM
Just checked Orbitz.com (http://www.orbitz.com/). They have dozens of flights from LAS to LAX (nothing to LGB though) leaving between 6 - 7am and returning between 7 -10pm on Sunday for about $245!! Throw in a rental car and a GA ticket and you are there! (Here! ;) )

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!! :thumbup:

Ankf00
04-07-06, 10:08 PM
do it. do it.

Brian_R
04-07-06, 10:32 PM
I already have a rental car, unlimited miles, and a college buddy ready to rock for the drive (plus the rental and the gas is covered by work!!! shhh!!) So just making sure that I get back in time is the main concern (which is why I was wondering about the traffic)

CartNut, since you're a "local", any ideas on ticket / seating recommendations or good ways to get to / from the track?

CARTNUT
04-08-06, 02:03 AM
I already have a rental car, unlimited miles, and a college buddy ready to rock for the drive (plus the rental and the gas is covered by work!!! shhh!!) So just making sure that I get back in time is the main concern (which is why I was wondering about the traffic)

CartNut, since you're a "local", any ideas on ticket / seating recommendations or good ways to get to / from the track?

You're on your way right?

I drove in today from the Inland Empire about 75 miles away. Took about an hour and 10 mins with a little Friday traffic. The route you described 15-60-57-22 takes you thru the neighborhoods of Belmont Shore and Long Beach and has a lot of signals/stop & go traffic. Not terrible, but, as I sometimes commute to Long Beach harbor for work, I've found that if you take the 710 South, it's quicker. You can take the 15 S - 215 W - 605 S - 105 W - 710 S, follow the signs to Shoreline Parking -- (Downtown/Broadway exit (from the left lane of the 710), right on Magnolia, right on Ocean, left on Chestnut, takes you into and thru the Pike parking structure to Shoreline parking. They had a couple shuttle buses that take you back around right to the Shoreline/Pike entrance.

As far as tickets go, for a first timer I would just get GA and walk around the track scoping out the best place for next year. However, My personal preference is Grandstand 6 for all the turn 1/ turn 7 action. But there is a GA grandstand in the center of the curve on shoreline where you can see the cars at top speed coming and going, and also get some Pit Lane action.
Most important is -- GET THERE EARLY!!

As far as traffic back to Vegas? I don't think it should be too bad on Sunday night, but man that's a LLOOOOOOONNGGG Drive!!!

Good Luck!!!

'NUT :gomer:

Brian_R
04-08-06, 11:26 AM
I'm leaving the east coast around 4:30 EDT this afternoon, What's nice is I should be able to get some sleep on the flight from Chicago to LV. I get there 10:20 local but my body will think it's 1:30 AM :) Get a good nap in, and I should be set. Now the goal is to lock in my college friend who lives in Las Vegas to go, otherwise I'm going solo. Are there any OC impromptu gatherings at the track Sunday? I'd like to put some faces to names I've seen on here and the old 7G.

Anteater
04-08-06, 11:50 AM
C) For a first time Long Beach attendee, where's a good place to experience the race (I have some ideas, but I would figure the LB regulars would know best!)

Stand at Turn 1 for at least the start of the Atlantic or Champ Car race! :) That's what I did last year, and it was a blast!

I'll be all over the place on Sunday. Any suggestions for a meet-up, folks? I know there's a bunch of OC people in GS 36.

fourrunner
04-08-06, 12:16 PM
Hey Brian

Can't help you on the travel plans, but glad your still around !

hope everything runs smooth, and Have Fun!! :thumbup:

Brian_R
04-08-06, 07:25 PM
Hey Brian

Can't help you on the travel plans, but glad your still around !

hope everything runs smooth, and Have Fun!! :thumbup:

Thanks 4r!

So far so good, I'm in Chicago wating for the next leg of my "Journey to Methanol". Here's to hoping that we can get some kind of meet up figured out.

I'll gladly pm my cell no. to those at the track (as long as you don't write it all over the temporary bathrooms!)

Brian_R
04-09-06, 03:32 AM
Well, just wanted to check in before I pass out for 2 hours before heading out to LB. I'll probably check into OC before I leave, and when I get to the track. Hope everyone out there is having a blast, I can't wait!!!

Brian_R
04-09-06, 06:09 AM
OC Meetup Behind GS 36 during Pace Car activities perhaps???

dando
04-11-06, 01:54 PM
Hey, how'd this turn out?

-Kevin

Brian_R
04-17-06, 02:59 PM
Well I made it out there, left Las Vegas at about 2:30 AM to make it to the track in the morning. Went a little out of the way to get there but made it to the track with plenty of places to park.

I had a great time, got GA tickets, and walked around the track for the Atlantics race, checking out as many vantage points as possible. TV doesn't do the fountain curves any justice, they almost graze the wall exiting out of there every lap (and sometimes do!) Watched the Champ Car race at Turn 1, great vantage point, up close to a lot of action plus a jumbotron right there lets you catch the action on the rest of the track. It was my first time seeing the Formula D guys do their thing, and it was definitely entertaining. Just make sure not to stand near the stop sign, your likelihood of sunburn increases dramatically!!!

I think the only dissapointment is that I think ChampCar isn't doing enough to promote the series / teams with merchandise at the track. I remember going to races and seeing 10-12 trailers selling team goods / series merchandise, and at Long Beach I saw a ton of LBGP booths, and 1 Champ Car trailer.

All in all a fun (and tiring!) day at the race. Too bad I couldn't meet up with anybody at the track, but there is always next time!

dando
04-17-06, 05:23 PM
I think the only dissapointment is that I think ChampCar isn't doing enough to promote the series / teams with merchandise at the track. I remember going to races and seeing 10-12 trailers selling team goods / series merchandise, and at Long Beach I saw a ton of LBGP booths, and 1 Champ Car trailer.

All in all a fun (and tiring!) day at the race. Too bad I couldn't meet up with anybody at the track, but there is always next time!
Yeah, Cleveland was the same last year. I remember tons of trailers @ MIS and MO in years past, but there were only two trailers @ Cleveland last season...one for Speedgear and the other for CCWS. :(

Glad to hear it worked out well. :cool:

-Kevin

Anteater
04-19-06, 06:19 PM
Watched the Champ Car race at Turn 1, great vantage point, up close to a lot of action plus a jumbotron right there lets you catch the action on the rest of the track.

Ah-ha, you took my advice. Glad you had fun at Long Beach; come back again! :)