PDA

View Full Version : CC Spec Mustang Companion Series?

NismoZ
04-06-06, 10:00 AM
I guess Drissi and Gentilozzi were going to try out that new 550hp Mustang that Ford has all dressed up with no place to go. Could they be thinking of a spec race as SPEED has suggested but run it with CC events? I think it would be a great alternative to that Cobra Challenge series that never got off the ground. With IROC perhaps looking at a 2nd road course in the near future I think Ford and ChampCar should simply beat them to it! Maybe include a "ChampCar Ford Mustang Masters" event? MARIO! Or Mustang Celebrity races? PLN. Or "The Ford Mustang Stars Of Tomorrow"? With the merger possibility this could be one more idea to help ensure it's success. Done correctly how could this NOT benefit Ford and ChampCar much as the celebrity race has done for Toyota at Long Beach? I think it could be a very successful venture for all involved. I know I'd like to see it and I don't even like Mustangs...much. ;)

Accipiter
04-06-06, 10:36 AM
I think Ford should just run the thing in Speed World Challenge.

NismoZ
04-06-06, 12:49 PM
Yeah, they said with a few mods it'd fit a couple of different series, but could they outfit a spec series and draw more benefit than a team or two in a competitive series? 200 thou is pretty steep to sell many but keeping them and leasing the rides several times over? I don't know how the spec rent a ride thing really works but why would Ford even build the thing if they didn't think they could either sell a bunch or produce a big dealer sales gain through positive pr? Either the spec Mustang race idea or SPEED GT running with ChampCar (more regularly) could work. With Atlantics as the #1 feeder/support race CC needs a fendered series like the GOOD old TA days to create wider spectator appeal. If I had my choice I'd rather it not be DPs.

Accipiter
04-06-06, 05:41 PM
I think you get more benefit from beating Caddilacs than you do beating yourself. And it probably cost the same or less to run a full time SWC GT program than it would a spec series. But that could just be my unending desire to see Ford to go back to a Total Performance roots showing through.

JoeBob
04-06-06, 05:49 PM
Something needs to be done to bring back Trans Am. Not in its most recent form - but rather in the form that let you had a grid of full season teams supplimented by a bunch of local drivers.

Maybe SPEED GT is that series, but the Mustang could be a great basis for a revitalized Trans Am.

The problem is - who wants to join a series where the rules are written around a car that has been floating around for a year? Look at the early IRL - they used GM's 4.0L IMSA engine as a starting point, and told the rest of the world, "see if you can compete with it."

Only Nissan was interested, and they got whooped.

Fio1
04-06-06, 10:40 PM
There is a series runnning in Mexico using Mustangs.

What, Gentilozzi can't win in Grand-Am so he's making series where he controls the rules, so he has a chance? :rolleyes:

jcollins28
04-06-06, 10:54 PM
There is a series runnning in Mexico using Mustangs.

What, Gentilozzi can't win in Grand-Am so he's making series where he controls the rules, so he has a chance? :rolleyes:

What the hell are you talking about? This car was made by Ford and it is Ford who is pushing this car for a new series.

NismoZ
04-07-06, 10:35 AM
:rofl: ...Yeah, lighten up Fio. It's not like Ferrari buying all those F-1 titles for years on end! :p

NismoZ
04-07-06, 10:39 AM
Maybe all we need now are Camaros and Challengers to take the bait and we can have a regular American V-8 Supercar series! Ambrose doesn't belong in a truck!

mueber
04-07-06, 11:56 AM
Maybe all we need now are Camaros and Challengers to take the bait and we can have a regular American V-8 Supercar series! Ambrose doesn't belong in a truck!

I don't see why the "Big Three" don't get together and create their own series as Audi, Mercedes and Opal seem to have done with the DTM. They could start with the Austrailian V-8 rulesbook, but the point is, all three of them would sell some cars as a result.

Easy
04-07-06, 12:19 PM

I don't see why the "Big Three" don't get together and create their own series as Audi, Mercedes and Opal seem to have done with the DTM. They could start with the Austrailian V-8 rulesbook, but the point is, all three of them would sell some cars as a result.

I think the US has a big V-8 tin top series that the majors are involved with. Its called Nextel Cup or something like that? Its getting pretty popular too, they may see some returns from that program.

MB, Audi and Opel didn't actually (re)create the DTM, ITR did. Audi wasn't a factory presence at the re-launch in 2000 and Opel has pulled out.

NismoZ
04-07-06, 01:33 PM
Yes. Nextel Cup is it? I seem to have heard of that. Lots of Pontiacs and Buicks and 500s and Impalas and Chryslers? I've noticed the great variety. :rolleyes: If 'Cup is supposed to be helping the bottom line I guess it isn't working so well, is it? The biggest sellers are trucks anyway, maybe the Big 3 should demand they run for the cup instead. No, I was thinking like Mueber. Smaller 2dr. Pony Cars reincarnated, road courses, run with CC... Porsche not invited! Perhaps they could call it a Trans American Championship! ;) Doesn't have to be huge, doesn't have to compete with NECKCAR, but it IS hard to justify another sport coupe/sedan series. Watching the Aussie V-8s is just so much fun it's not wrong to wish for something like that here, is it?